Hypothetical Question just a bit if fun (1 Viewer)

lordsummerisle

I think only MMM has said that. ACL want the club to stay and have offered large concessions to try and enable that.

Think it was MMM with the suggestion, though a few jumped onto that bandwagon.

Thorn going to have to get a job soon for MMM to win his bet isn't he?

dongonzalos

Like the people who say they'll only watch CCFC in Coventry, why would the Nuneaton fans support Nuneaton when they play in Coventry.

By the sounds of it, most of Nuneatoners support Cov anyway.

I would imagine if coventry were moving to a purpose built stadium better than the Ricoh. A couple if miles outside the Coventry boundary. That they owned. With owners prepared to move the club up a few leagues. There would not be such an uproar

dongonzalos

Not here, but in previous discussions on how well ACL will do without the club, with particular mention given to Northampton Rugby Club replacing us.

It is also why Dongle wants Nuneaton into the Ricoh instead of us apparently.

For me ultimately it would blow this stupid threat of taking Coventry City Football club to Northampton out if the window.
That is my primary motivation.

Not sure really what you are talking about Lord?

Mucca Mad Boys

I would imagine if coventry were moving to a purpose built stadium better than the Ricoh. A couple if miles outside the Coventry boundary. That they owned. With owners prepared to move the club up a few leagues. There would not be such an uproar

That would be people breaking their 'principles', side note: if we did move to Brum or N'hampton, and we were winning the league, we'd soon have massive increases in attendances.

The situation is still flawed, why would Nuneaton want to move to the RICOH, they don't fill their 6k ground? Why would they want to relocate? Or be franchised, they won't, even at the prospect of better football, why don't you ask their boards if you want to prove a point.

On your logic, some billionaire could take us over, but we have to move to Villa park and change out name to Villa City at the promise of premier league/Europa/CL football, which I wouldn't accept, I'd only just accept if anyone tried to rebrand the club (change of colour/badge).

The Penguin

This is probably the most batshit insane thread I have ever read on SBT.

A multimillionaire will buy a small but proud Blue Square club and take them to the highest echelons of English football (oh but only if shitloads of people jump on the bandwagon, otherwise those 3000 fans are gonna have to pump in a metric fuckton of cash each just to have a playing budget that will compete with the strongest clubs in each division, given FFP regulations mean you can't just throw fat salaries at players anymore).

And this frankly ludicrous suggestion is going to make Fisher and SISU shit themselves in pure fear and run screaming for the telephone, scrambling to negotiate with ACL, when we have hardly seen anything from them in five years that suggests that they would ever act out of anything other than stubbornness or righteous belief in their own legal/moral position.

My brain hurts from all the stupid. :facepalm::facepalm:

dongonzalos

This is probably the most batshit insane thread I have ever read on SBT.

A multimillionaire will buy a small but proud Blue Square club and take them to the highest echelons of English football (oh but only if shitloads of people jump on the bandwagon, otherwise those 3000 fans are gonna have to pump in a metric feckton of cash each just to have a playing budget that will compete with the strongest clubs in each division, given FFP regulations mean you can't just throw fat salaries at players anymore).

Wigan................

[/B]My brain hurts from all the stupid. :facepalm::facepalm:

dongonzalos

That would be people breaking their 'principles', side note: if we did move to Brum or N'hampton, and we were winning the league, we'd soon have massive increases in attendances.

The situation is still flawed, why would Nuneaton want to move to the RICOH, they don't fill their 6k ground? Why would they want to relocate? Or be franchised, they won't, even at the prospect of better football, why don't you ask their boards if you want to prove a point.

On your logic, some billionaire could take us over, but we have to move to Villa park and change out name to Villa City at the promise of premier league/Europa/CL football, which I wouldn't accept, I'd only just accept if anyone tried to rebrand the club (change of colour/badge).

Because you now have a city with a population of 311k with no football club.

For them it is a no brainer unless they are happy in the Blue square for ever.

The Penguin

I'll grant you that the crowd numbers when Whelan took over are similar (if not worse) than Nuneaton's.

But you're comparing a club that had already been in the Football League for fifteen years at that point with a club that have been in the Football League approximately never.

The Penguin

Also, Whelan did not have to contend with FFP.

Doesn't matter how many squillions Haskell has if the revenue doesn't allow financing of a competitive and successful squad.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'll grant you that the crowd numbers when Whelan took over are similar (if not worse) than Nuneaton's.

But you're comparing a club that had already been in the Football League for fifteen years at that point with a club that have been in the Football League approximately never.

It would take very little for a rich owner to get them up a league.

The Penguin

Fair call, BSB, I'll accept both of those points.

Could a very rich owner take them to the Premier League by hoping that a fanbase will materialise though?

Actually who am I kidding, you could still just refute that by saying, "Wigan" ;)

Brighton Sky Blue

Fair call, BSB, I'll accept both of those points.

Could a very rich owner take them to the Premier League by hoping that a fanbase will materialise though?

Actually who am I kidding, you could still just refute that by saying, "Wigan" ;)

Premier League? No chance. Our league? Quite possibly.

dongonzalos

Also, Whelan did not have to contend with FFP.

Doesn't matter how many squillions Haskell has if the revenue doesn't allow financing of a competitive and successful squad.

You are forgetting that you will have a city with no football club and some very angry supporters left here in Coventry.

It would not take much investment to top that league.

The crowds would come if people knew it was the only way to have a football club in Coventry.

The Penguin

You are forgetting that you will have a city with no football club and some very angry supporters left here in Coventry.

The crowds would come if people knew it was the only way to have a football club in Coventry.

No I'm not, your second point is valid, and prove your last assertion.

torchomatic

Angry supporters? I don't think so, the majority seem to be more concerned about the future of ACL than CCFC. As long as ACL survive then people will be quite content. They'll still have the "community asset" to look at on the way to M&S, Next and Tescos on a Saturday afternoon.

dongonzalos

No I'm not, your second point is valid, and prove your last assertion.

You yourself have previously agreed that only the hardcore now support coventry.
You also agreed that the club stinks of failure and a sniff of success will put bums in seats.

Those hardcore would have a choice watch the name 'Coventry' in Birmingham or Northampton.

Trusting (I use the word sparingly) SISU to build a new stadium which I guess will be in Warwickshire in 3 years time.

Take up a different hobby

Or

If a team in the blue league with a multimillionaire owner were playing every second week at the Ricoh.

Winning more games and having success for me bit by bit curiosity would get the better of people.

They would give it a go. Some will stay, for some it would be no chance.

In three years time where would that team be with back to back promotions? Just in time for SISU FC to open their new stadium in Warwickshire?

Again as I have always said sometimes you have to counter a stupid idea with a stupid idea.

Tim is using blackmail.

If Mr Haskell made enquiries down this route Tim's blackmail is flawed.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Angry supporters? I don't think so, the majority seem to be more concerned about the future of ACL than CCFC. As long as ACL survive then people will be quite content. They'll still have the "community asset" to look at on the way to M&S, Next and Tescos on a Saturday afternoon.

So everybody is hunky dory about the club moving to Northampton.

Gotta say Torch sorry but you need to change the record with that line

Last edited:

The Penguin

You yourself have previously agreed that only the hardcore now support coventry.
You also agreed that the club stinks if failure and a sniff if success will put bums in seats.

Indeed, I have.

Those hardcore would have a choice watch the bane 'Coventry' in Birmingham or Northampton.

Many of whom will, it seems, not be doing that.

Trusting (I use the word sparingly) SISU to build a new stadium which I guess will be in Warwickshire in 3 years time.

They can't even run a football club properly. Nor can they build and maintain constructive relationships with key stakeholders. I don't think anyone trusts them to build a new stadium out of LEGO.

Or

If a team in the blue league with a multimillionaire owner were playing every second week at the Ricoh.

Winning more games and having success for me bit by bit curiosity would get the better if people.

They would give it a go. Some will stay for some it would be no chance.

Okay. When I previously agreed (and still do) that we currently only have the hardcore left, they are the hardcore CCFC fans.

Not Nuneaton. Not Birmingham, Leicester, Walsall, Hinckley or Leamington.

CCFC.

This is why the groundshare/move scenario is meeting with such resistance. We want our club playing in its home. The issue is not football in Coventry. The issue is Coventry City football in Coventry.

Now, would some people be tempted if your scenario came to pass and Not Coventry were successful? Perhaps they would. I am willing to concede that much.

However, anyone who is going to come back to the Ricoh to watch a successful team that is a Coventry City fan is more than likely only going to return to watch a successful Coventry City. In my view, people who are tempted by a successful Not Coventry were probably not that serious about CCFC in the first place.

Also, we struggle to get casual fans who are still (nominally, at least) CCFC fans to attend matches of a team they still follow, let alone some team they have no allegiance to or history with.

Tim is using blackmail.

On this you have my complete agreement, and I hope his attempt fails dismally.

ajsccfc

The Penguin's first post was on the money, football finishing has turned people mental if this thread is indication.

torchomatic

What line? The club won't be moving. I think we can all be safe in the knowledge that will never happen. Scaremongering tactics by SISU.

Still doesn't answer why many fans are more concerned about the wellbeing of ACL, whether they will exist, why SISU are trying to "distress" them, etc, etc.

CCFC not ACL.

So everybody is hunky dory about the club moving to Northampton.

Gotta say Torch sorry but you need to change the record with that line

dongonzalos

What line? The club won't be moving. I think we can all be safe in the knowledge that will never happen. Scaremongering tactics by SISU.

Still doesn't answer why many fans are more concerned about the wellbeing of ACL, whether they will exist, why SISU are trying to "distress" them, etc, etc.

CCFC not ACL.

They are not Torch. You just keep saying that. You repeating it time and time again does not make it correct.

People will allow or agree with everything SISU because they file it in the folder 'we are doing it for the good if the club' . Most fans have seen through that now. Most fans understand that for the good of Coventry City SISU must go.
The way this seems possible now is if they finally realise they can't ever get their hands on the Ricoh.

stupot07

To me it is not as crazy an idea and more feasible than Tim lovejoy's.

Would Nuneaton fans not start up AFC Nuneaton to replace their club which would have been stolen from their town, as this scenario is a permanent move not a temporary one that TF has suggested.

torchomatic

And nor does, we are moving to <name ground here> or the Club would be wound up if SISU were given the ground. They are groundless (excuse the pun) words tossed around for fun by loads of people on here.

"Most" fans? I would say ALL fans want SISU to go, I don't think anyone wants them to stay. Personally, though unlike a lot of people I back the Club - that's Coventry City - 100% and offer no support, no ground, no excuses to SISU or ACL. That's what does it for me. Your and others continual backing of a joint venture company in preference to the club they support. You do it time and time again.

As I said, CCFC not ACL.

They are not Torch. You just keep saying that. You repeating it time and time again does not make it correct.

People will allow or agree with everything SISU because they file it in the folder 'we are doing it for the good if the club' . Most fans have seen through that now. Most fans understand that for the good of Coventry City SISU must go.
The way this seems possible now is if they finally realise they can't ever get their hands on the Ricoh.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Would Nuneaton fans not start up AFC Nuneaton to replace their club which would have been stolen from their town, as this scenario is a permanent move not a temporary one that TF has suggested.

I think most of them would catch a bus down the road and watching the best team in their league instead to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread