Godiva (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Very small venues? The next step up from these would be arenas!

What impact does size of venue have on reviews?

Most of those are a thousand or less and the one with 3,000 has loads left to sell.

clint van damme

I'll save you and everyone the bother. Are you saying that the Godiva festival is shit? All this has been done before.

no one likes putting the boot in to our useless council more than me, but they hit the mark big time with this event, credit where it's due. I'm heading up now for a bit of Ronan!!

Grendel

I'll save you and everyone the bother. Are you saying that the Godiva festival is shit? All this has been done before.

I’ve just never heard of them.

Any festival without Hawkwind is a sham in my eyes

Darkness was a coup though to be fair

hill83

no one likes putting the boot in to our useless council more than me, but they hit the mark big time with this event, credit where it's due. I'm heading up now for a bit of Ronan!!

Yeah I've not been for a couple of years due to other things cropping up at the same time, but for a free festival it's brilliant. Never really going to see any music I'm interested in at a thing like it but it's still a laugh.

hill83

I've never heard any of their stuff and I'm not at all into indie/band/rock stuff at all myself, but I've heard of them.

And you could have saved yourself the bother and just said you've never heard of them. I've never heard of Hawkwind. There you go, nice and easy.

Otis

It's not your style of music though is it. I bet you could name some popular rock bands that I've never heard of. Doesn't mean anything.

Editors have had two platinum albums. They have had a Mercury Prize nomination, Brit Award nomination for best band and had number one albums.

You seemed obsessed with how big a band is. The Godiva is a free festival and they are never going to get anyone on the top of their game and height of their popularity.

hill83

The Godiva is a free festival and they are never going to get anyone on the top of their game and height of their popularity

They could, but we wouldn't want the council wasting money on something would we. (assuming the acts get paid I've no idea)

Otis

Would cost a fortune.

I can't stand the Darkness, but that's where we're at. We have to attract artists who were big, but who are now not as big as they used to be.

For all its critics, when you look back down the years the Godiva has hosted Fun Lovin Criminals, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Ash, Biffy Clyro, Darkness, Super Furry Animals, Human League, Mercury Rev, Echo and the Bunnymen etc. etc. Missed loads of that list and these are just off the top of my head.

It's been going 20 years now and I've been every single year and seen some great bands.

hill83

I've just remembered I went last year and saw the Darkness.

"Play the song everyone knows dickhead"

Captain Dart

Would cost a fortune.

I can't stand the Darkness, but that's where we're at. We have to attract artists who were big, but who are now not as big as they used to be.

For all its critics, when you look back down the years the Godiva has hosted Fun Lovin Criminals, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Ash, Biffy Clyro, Darkness, Super Furry Animals, Human League, Mercury Rev, Echo and the Bunnymen etc. etc. Missed loads of that list and these are just off the top of my head.

It's been going 20 years now and I've been every single year and seen some great bands.

Quite a few more surprising names on this list.
Godiva Festival - Wikipedia

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Ha, yeah, sounds great.

I think one big problem last night was in having Jonas Blue on before Editors. Clearly Jonas Blue fans were not going to be Editors fans. The field was heaving for Jonas Blue and people hung about after not having a clue who Editors are, so many did indeed walk away after the first song or two.

Seems an odd choice to go from Jonas Blue to Editors.

I watched some of Jonas Blue and found it all a bit meh. Clearly the two acts draw in completely different crowds.

If it’s any consolation I didn’t think much to jonas blue. He’s essentially a DJ. Switching a few switches to backing tracks and lots of flashy lights. Wasn’t really my thing, certainly not for a festival in a field, a pool party in Ibiza maybe (I’m guessing there; that’s not really my thing either!)

sw88

Chief Commentator!

I agree about our useless council ;) but I’m glad they keep this going, whether we (I) like the crafts or not. It’s never going to be everyone’s cup of tea but there’s always the option to not attend.

I did think the organisation could have been a bit better, bar staff were untrained kids who were pretty slow (much slower than Biggest weekend), and there didn’t seem many toilets!

Certainly with the urinals, I hope the ground dries up before my boot camp session down the park tomorrow or it could be messy :vomit:

Grendel

I've just remembered I went last year and saw the Darkness.

"Play the song everyone knows dickhead"

Dinner Lady Arms?

Westendlad

'Do gooders' don't have anything to do with it, Police numbers are at their lowest for almost 25 years and there's been a huge rise in crime, (the tories say there's no correlation but I think we all know that's absolute bullshit).
There is a 4 year maximum sentence and an automatic prison sentence for any one caught carrying a knife for a second time.
. I'd scrap the automatic sentence for the second occasion and make it automatic first time around. I'd make the 4 year maximum into a 4 year minimum. Hopefully a few decent sentences dished out would deter people.
Nothing to do with police cuts. More to do with the shit in this country. How many people have been jailed for carrying a knife ? Yes i agree 'a few decent sentences' would be a start..

chiefdave

Most of those are a thousand or less and the one with 3,000 has loads left to sell.
There is one venue on the Editors tour that is 1K capacity or lower and that is exactly 1K. A lot of the venues are the same ones The Darkness, who apparently were a coup for Godiva, played on their last UK tour. :banghead:

Grendel

There is one venue on the Editors tour that is 1K capacity or lower and that is exactly 1K. A lot of the venues are the same ones The Darkness, who apparently were a coup for Godiva, played on their last UK tour. :banghead:

The Darkness have sold how many albums?

chiefdave

The Darkness have sold how many albums?
UK sales seem fairly equal for the two acts although the Darkness' figures skew massively to their debut with not much in the way of sales since. First week figures for their last album are sub 5K so it would be surprising if it topped out at over 10K given it was released via a pledge campaign which is geared heavily to pre-orders.

Editors on the other hand have more consistent sales figures with their most recent album looking to be around 75K, admittedly guessing the UK portion of the pan-European sales figures from IMPALA.

Not sure what point you're trying to prove here. You may not like them, I certainly don't, but they are a band of equitable size to past Godiva headliners.

This is the Official Chart Company profiles for them both, Editors first.

editors.png darkness.png

clint van damme

Nothing to do with police cuts. More to do with the shit in this country. How many people have been jailed for carrying a knife ? Yes i agree 'a few decent sentences' would be a start..

Nothing to do with police cuts? Even though the home office report that Amber Rudd tried to bury said it was.
Even though police chiefs have been warning what would happen when May started cutting numbers when she was home secretary. ok then.

clint van damme

I walked out of Hawkwind when they were headlining an all day physcadelia event in finsbury park years ago. Not my cup of tea at all.

Mcbean

Went yesterday - whats not to like free festival - got there just in time to see Tony Christie - he was good and funny , then some Bangra band DJ - sorry they were aweful and an assault on the ears - Hazel was great and passionate - her saxplayer was ace - some Africaqois band were ok ish but really supermarket music for me - Neville despite the happening did well to hold it together and i applaud them - then Ronan - not my taste but people seemed to enjoy it in the sun - had a nice day

Hawkwind have had more team changes than CCFC i did see them with Lemmy early on in my prog education - now just a shadow of their former selves - the older albums are great for older rockers like me - look out - In search of space or in fact the original Hawkwind album both quite different but refreshing

clint van damme

Went yesterday - whats not to like free festival - got there just in time to see Tony Christie - he was good and funny , then some Bangra band DJ - sorry they were aweful and an assault on the ears - Hazel was great and passionate - her saxplayer was ace - some Africaqois band were ok ish but really supermarket music for me - Neville despite the happening did well to hold it together and i applaud them - then Ronan - not my taste but people seemed to enjoy it in the sun - had a nice day

Hawkwind have had more team changes than CCFC i did see them with Lemmy early on in my prog education - now just a shadow of their former selves - the older albums are great for older rockers like me - look out - In search of space or in fact the original Hawkwind album both quite different but refreshing

Hazels sax player has a very impressive CV.

Westendlad

Nothing to do with police cuts? Even though the home office report that Amber Rudd tried to bury said it was.
Even though police chiefs have been warning what would happen when May started cutting numbers when she was home secretary. ok then.
You're making out stabbings are a new thing and is all the tories fault. Ok then.

clint van damme

You're making out stabbings are a new thing and is all the tories fault. Ok then.

Which bit of crime increasing in correlation with police cuts are you struggl8ng with?
Or are you going to tell me the Tories didn't cut police numbers?

Otis

Another plug for Editors, for those on here who prefer something a bit more rockier sounding.

It has to be done. :)

Users who are viewing this thread