Godiva (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Yup. Same here. Same concert. Gaz had a sore throat or something didn't he?

Only found out when I turned up. :(

did he bollocks Otis!! They played Birmingham that same night, that's why I was so pissed off. Must have double booked or something. Bluetones also played the Brum gig who were supposed to be appearing with them at the Poly.

torchomatic

Also, no excuse, Torch.

Just read up on Supergrass and they said they were heavily influenced by the Buzzcocks.

Well...why didn't you say! I love 'em!

ajsccfc

I Should Coco was perfectly timed for me, that kind of age where if I'm using pocket money to buy an album I'm rinsing the hell out of it, Expecting to Fly by Bluetones and whichever Manics album was around the same time too.

Nowadays I stockpile media as if waiting for a rainy month that's never going to come. I've had Gangs of New York on DVD for 15 years! Never opened.

Otis

I Should Coco was perfectly timed for me, that kind of age where if I'm using pocket money to buy an album I'm rinsing the hell out of it, Expecting to Fly by Bluetones and whichever Manics album was around the same time too.

Nowadays I stockpile media as if waiting for a rainy month that's never going to come. I've had Gangs of New York on DVD for 15 years! Never opened.
I've had a few like that and only watched Goodfellas for the first time ever last year.

I too liked the Bluetones and Manics.

Covstu

Agree, for me it was a fantastic era of music with this album, Pulp's Different class, Oasis/Blur, Super Furries, Shed Seven, Suede, Manic, Placebo, Verve, OCS, Travis, Ash and probably about another 20 that I brought in that era. All top albums that you can listen to again and again

Otis

Agree, for me it was a fantastic era of music with this album, Pulp's Different class, Oasis/Blur, Super Furries, Shed Seven, Suede, Manic, Placebo, Verve, OCS, Travis, Ash and probably about another 20 that I brought in that era. All top albums that you can listen to again and again
With you on pretty much all those, though I did find Travis got a little bit twee after a while. Their first album is a lot heavier and rockier in sound to what came afterwards.

Covstu

With you on pretty much all those, though I did find Travis got a little bit twee after a while. Their first album is a lot heavier and rockier in sound to what came afterwards.
I enjoyed their first two albums but also a lot of their songs were soundtracks to the summer festivals so always sticks in my mind fondly.

ajsccfc

I liked The Man Who, but I found everything afterwards a bit samey so I went off them. Same with Stereophonics who I liked for really just the duration of one album.

Otis

I liked The Man Who, but I found everything afterwards a bit samey so I went off them. Same with Stereophonics who I liked for really just the duration of one album.
Ditto! The exact same thing. Really liked the Stereophonics first album and then went right off them after that.

wingy

Yeah the Travis albums tailed off.
The man who was full of excellent songs, was the soundtrack to my divorce ,the second pretty decent but forget the rest.
Saw Fran performing on one of the recently telivised festivals,he's still got it .

clint van damme

Cradle of filth headlining the rock tent.

What is the verdict on this from the boards metal fans?

Paul Anthony

I'll be venturing along for that with my stepdad. He loves bands like Cradle.

Otis

Fair play if they have a following. Never heard any of their stuff, but Godiva is all about diversity.

I wonder if someone from London might come up on the Friday night to see Cradle of Filth and then come back again on the Sunday to see Ronan Keating.

Otis

I am now SO looking forwards to the Editors! I have their first two albums, but then sort of lost track of them somewhat. I never realised they have now changed their style so much. Almlost like a different band these days.

I now officially adore them and absolutely love their new stuff. I really can't wait now and am so very excited.

This is typical of their new stuff. A lot heavier electronic, synth sound. Fantastic!

LastGarrison

I love Godiva and it is amazing for the city and the line up this year, in terms of current relevant acts, is probably the best ever but, for me, it just seems to have lost a little this year and I don’t know whether it is down to the later date, the fact we had the big weekend or the change in weather but I am just not as ‘up’ for it this year as I usually am.

Last edited:

ajsccfc

I know what you mean, the timing has put me off a little bit. I'd normally look forward to it starting the summer rather than ending it.

vow

I am now SO looking forwards to the Editors! I have their first two albums, but then sort of lost track of them somewhat. I never realised they have now changed their style so much. Almlost like a different band these days.

I now officially adore them and absolutely love their new stuff. I really can't wait now and am so very excited.

This is typical of their new stuff. A lot heavier electronic, synth sound. Fantastic!

Good toons!
Heard Hallelujah before on Annie Mac show, but not Magazine.

Otis

Mentioned this on the Telegraph thread, but thought worth mentioning here too.

No dogs allowed in the main arena this year. Change of policy. Took mine the last two years, but glad I spotted the rule change in time.

Mcbean

Mentioned this on the Telegraph thread, but thought worth mentioning here too.

No dogs allowed in the main arena this year. Change of policy. Took mine the last two years, but glad I spotted the rule change in time.[/QUOTE

i generally take the wife but if not allowed thats a poor show

Reactions: vow

Otis

Look out for Duck Thieves
6-55 Friday Night
Main stage I think
Been told very good up and coming
Might catch them then.

Plan is to do the comedy tent, but that doesn't start until 8, then go for Jake Bugg on the main stage. Reckon we could see the Duck Thieves, then do an hour of comedy and then come back for Jake Bugg.

It's better set up this year and the security fence encompasses the whole thing, so also including the family zone and the funfair, so you don't have to come out and back in again to switch between the the two fields.

Covkid1968#

Might catch them then.

Plan is to do the comedy tent, but that doesn't start until 8, then go for Jake Bugg on the main stage. Reckon we could see the Duck Thieves, then do an hour of comedy and then come back for Jake Bugg.

It's better set up this year and the security fence encompasses the whole thing, so also including the family zone and the funfair, so you don't have to come out and back in again to switch between the the two fields.
Going for the first time Sat evening with kids.... is it all safe till 8 or 9 or best to do one? Kids are 10 and 12

Otis

It can get a bit leery in the evening. I think it might be better this year because they have the whole festival security fenced.

I quite often leave a bit early, but my daughter and I are both really looking forwards to Editors, so will be staying until the end.

Am going up tomorrow, so can post an update.

Otis

it's fine mate.
Yep, would say that overall it is fine and the only real trouble I have seen was last year with a gang of kids (14-15), but that was by the fairground.

As I say, with the whole site now being secure I think they can easily keep a lid on things.

There was a group of 30 kids last year and you could see they weren't there for anything other than trouble. Going to be much tougher for them this year to even get in.

The atmosphere definitely changes on Saturday night. I find Friday night really friendly, Saturday day busy and buzzing and Saturday evening a bit more leery, what with people having been drinking all day long.

Sunday is completely and utterly chilled out.

Users who are viewing this thread