Godiva (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Yep, would say that overall it is fine and the only real trouble I have seen was last year with a gang of kids (14-15), but that was by the fairground.

As I say, with the whole site now being secure I think they can easily keep a lid on things.

There was a group of 30 kids last year and you could see they weren't there for anything other than trouble. Going to be much tougher for them this year to even get in.

The atmosphere definitely changes on Saturday night. I find Friday night really friendly, Saturday day busy and buzzing and Saturday evening a bit more leery, what with people having been drinking all day long.

Sunday is completely and utterly chilled out.

the only fights I ever seen were so embarrassing that I'd back Covkid1968s 10 and 12 year old to lay out the protagonists!

Otis

the only fights I ever seen were so embarrassing that I'd back Covkid1968s 10 and 12 year old to lay out the protagonists!
It was a bit worrying last year, because there must have been at least 100 kids chasing just 3 kids. I was really worried for their safety.

Some kid got stabbed, but not sure if that was related to the same incident.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
It was a bit worrying last year, because there must have been at least 100 kids chasing just 3 kids. I was really worried for their safety.

Some kid got stabbed, but not sure if that was related to the same incident.

Another stabbing last night too it seems, although in the arcade which has always been a horrible place in the city centre for me - obviously might not have been related to Godiva mind!

Some great reporting by the CET about it - their main concern seems to be buses can’t get through, but also take the time to describe the arcade to us, but fail to say what a horrible area it is (would make better and more truthful reading :))

34C99750-182E-4D85-88AD-E33EFF51B277.png

Otis

Enjoyed Jake Bugg. Not a great fan of his, but it was a very good performance and he really endeared himself to the crowd too.

Mind now totally fixated on Editors. Can't wait!

Johnnythespider

Enjoyed Jake Bugg. Not a great fan of his, but it was a very good performance and he really endeared himself to the crowd too.

Are they on the same time as Gaz Coombes, if so I'll be in the rhythm tent.

wingy

Bit mixed up now as I'm sure the MC last night said Hazel O is on Sundays bill
But the pamphlet says 8-00 tonight
So wondering If something has been switched
Like Tony Christie at 1-00 tomorrow for instance
Hope not he should go down really well at 1-00

clint van damme

Don't think it was the right act for that slot to be honest Otis and think the poor turn out reflected that.
Think that Friday night slot needs to stick with a punk/ 80s legend headlining.
Nothing against him who I quite like. Just my opinion.

LastGarrison

Another stabbing last night too it seems, although in the arcade which has always been a horrible place in the city centre for me - obviously might not have been related to Godiva mind!

Some great reporting by the CET about it - their main concern seems to be buses can’t get through, but also take the time to describe the arcade to us, but fail to say what a horrible area it is (would make better and more truthful reading :))

View attachment 10449
Looks like it was a spillover from Club M.

One died and it is Neville Staples Grandson.

wingy

Well in the end I opted for the Rythm tent and saw two excellent sets
The first by a Scottish guy
Kyle Falconer with his band ,then
Gaz Coombes who was absolute class with some great material .

Last edited:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Was it just me or did the editors know how to clear a field? Knew before I wouldn’t know much of their stuff, in fact only knew their second track, but Seemed to be lots leaving before we did just after 10. left before they finished so maybe they kept Munich til the end?

Westendlad

Said it before and i'll say it again.......Anyone caught carrying a knife should get 5 years inside. Not enough space to house them ?..........THEN BUILD MORE PRISONS. Sick and tired of these do gooding arseholes protecting these cowards. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Johnnythespider

The Rythym tent was great tonight right from Rea Morris to Kyle Falconer and Gaz Coombes. Glad i went that way and gave the mainstage the swerve.
Really sad news about Neville's grandson, when will it end.

Otis

Sad news. Didn't know anything about it til now.

Loved the Editors though. Brilliant!

Yep, some left, but of course they would divide opinion. They started off with the rockier stuff and left the electronic stuff until later. Maybe that was a mistake.

Before the gig I looked at their setlists for the last year or so and they always started with the newer electronic stuff, so Cold, Hallelujah, Nothingness etc. This time they went straight into older stuff first.

My daughter went right to the front and keep popping up on the big screen, which was nice and she thought they were absolutely brilliant and was actually crying at some of the songs. The security kept asking her if she was okay and she said it was because some of the songs were so beautiful.

They finished with Munich and Papillon and Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors were much later on in the set.

They have changed their style so much now and at times it's like watching two different bands. I love both the old and the new. Their new much more electronic sounding album has great reviews.

No Harm was especially good. Appeared like it engulfed the entire field.

Would say on the whole that the audience knew around 6 or 7 songs. Clearly though the were many there who had no idea who Editors were and I saw two groups of people actually Googling them to find out.

Would have been happy watching Gaz Coombes, but definitely made the right choice.

As for the day, my daughter especially liked the Silent Disco in the Paradise tent. That proved very, very popular, with big queues to get in. Basically, you go in and they give everyone headphones and then play one song on one set of headphones and another song on another set, both at the same time.

I stood outside and all I could hear was two different songs both being sung in unison.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Said it before and i'll say it again.......Anyone caught carrying a knife should get 5 years inside. Not enough space to house them ?..........THEN BUILD MORE PRISONS. Sick and tired of these do gooding arseholes protecting these cowards. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

'Do gooders' don't have anything to do with it, Police numbers are at their lowest for almost 25 years and there's been a huge rise in crime, (the tories say there's no correlation but I think we all know that's absolute bullshit).
There is a 4 year maximum sentence and an automatic prison sentence for any one caught carrying a knife for a second time.
. I'd scrap the automatic sentence for the second occasion and make it automatic first time around. I'd make the 4 year maximum into a 4 year minimum. Hopefully a few decent sentences dished out would deter people.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Sad news. Didn't know anything about it til now.

Loved the Editors though. Brilliant!

Yep, some left, but of course they would divide opinion. They started off with the rockier stuff and left the electronic stuff until later. Maybe that was a mistake.

Before the gig I looked at their setlists for the last year or so and they always started with the newer electronic stuff, so Cold, Hallelujah, Nothingness etc. This time they went straight into older stuff first.

My daughter went right to the front and keep popping up on the big screen, which was nice and she thought they were absolutely brilliant and was actually crying at some of the songs. The security kept asking her if she was okay and she said it was because some of the songs were so beautiful.

They finished with Munich and Papillon and Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors were much later on in the set.

They have changed their style so much now and at times it's like watching two different bands. I love both the old and the new. Their new much more electronic sounding album has great reviews.

No Harm was especially good. Appeared like it engulfed the entire field.

Would say on the whole that the audience knew around 6 or 7 songs. Clearly though the were many there who had no idea who Editors were and I saw two groups of people actually Googling them to find out.

Would have been happy watching Gaz Coombes, but definitely made the right choice.

As for the day, my daughter especially liked the Silent Disco in the Paradise tent. That proved very, very popular, with big queues to get in. Basically, you go in and they give everyone headphones and then play one song on one set of headphones and another song on another set, both at the same time.

I stood outside and all I could hear was two different songs both being sung in unison.

I’m sure there were some who liked their stuff. Pleased you did, as know you were looking forward to seeing them! Nice to see your taste in music has passed on toyour daughter :)

I’ve never been to a silent disco but will have to give that a go one day!

clint van damme

I’m sure there were some who liked their stuff. Pleased you did, as know you were looking forward to seeing them! Nice to see your taste in music has passed on toyour daughter :)

we hired one for my daughters 18th, (a house party), and my mates daughter hired one for the last hour or so of her wedding, great fun! You can have the option of several channels which you can compile yourself. It's quite bizarre having a different groups of people dancing and singing along to different tunes at the same time.

Otis

Ha, yeah, sounds great.

I think one big problem last night was in having Jonas Blue on before Editors. Clearly Jonas Blue fans were not going to be Editors fans. The field was heaving for Jonas Blue and people hung about after not having a clue who Editors are, so many did indeed walk away after the first song or two.

Seems an odd choice to go from Jonas Blue to Editors.

I watched some of Jonas Blue and found it all a bit meh. Clearly the two acts draw in completely different crowds.

Grendel

Is Tony Christie there? Christ I thought he was dead.

Grendel

Ha, yeah, sounds great.

I think one big problem last night was in having Jonas Blue on before Editors. Clearly Jonas Blue fans were not going to be Editors fans. The field was heaving for Jonas Blue and people hung about after not having a clue who Editors are, so many did indeed walk away after the first song or two.

Seems an odd choice to go from Jonas Blue to Editors.

I watched some of Jonas Blue and found it all a bit meh. Clearly the two acts draw in completely different crowds.

Who are editors fans? Where do they tour?

Users who are viewing this thread