Match Thread Derby match thread (1 Viewer)

Frostie

Nonsense.
As a club we’ll get what we deserve with the lauding of the likes of Wilson and Biamou that goes on and turning on players with actual talent.
If Biamou had had Covid it would used as a justification for a lack of goals.

This is the same fan base who used to berate Stern John remember, one of the best strikers we've had outside of the Premier League. Seems we'd rather have a trier who runs around near the halfway line than anyone actually in the box to score goals.

AndreasB

Rooney dropped 6 players last night apparently to save them for us. Had written off the Cardiff game but targeting ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cc84cov

Rooney dropped 6 players last night apparently to save them for us. Had written off the Cardiff game but targeting ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shame we don’t use our squad can see robins Excuses already “there were some tired legs out there the games are coming thick & fast”

Makes no subs 🤣

ccfcricoh

Osti in for Hyam. Thought Rose looked OK considering how long hes been out and Hyam needs a rest.

Marosi in for Wilson - Marosi is our number 1 keeper for a reason

More concerning is the attack

if we play O hare/ Biamou / Walker, we need another OG or penalty or lucky set piece to even stand a chance of a goal. and we all know were going to concede!

Need to change what were doing as its not working!

Magwitch1

Need to high press like we did v Brentford get Hamer higher too. I would consider a back four with Kelly or James sat in front but think MR will keep the wing back system this is a tough game to call.

As for Rooney targeting our game rather than Cardiff a good tactic beating those around them will keep Derby up, tactic done in the premier league all the time.

AOM

I'd rest Biamou. Don't think he was terrible last night but he looks shattered at the moment.
Also bring Marosi, Ostigard and James back in

Sky Blue Harry H

Derby rested about 5 first teamers for last night's game (no doubt they'll be back for us). They had 73% possession versus 27% for Cardiff and lost 4-0 !!

EdIt - just seen something similar posted earlier re: Derby resting players.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’m already anxious about this game , 6 points from the next 2 games are an absolute must in my opinion . If Godden is fit I would give him the last half hour ,

TM8792

Kelly and James in front of the defence. Hamer further up. O'Hare benched and brought on as an impact sub around 60 to run at tired legs.

Play literally anyone we have over McCallum. I don't care who it is. Honestly, stick Marosi at full-back. Shipley. Anyone.

If we play this we'll be safe.

cc84cov

I'll say it again, but bin off five at the back. It isn't fucking working, and in my opinion is far too negative.

I have such a bad feeling about this game.
Flat 4 allows James to come in we can’t keep going with hyam that left side with mccallum is the weak link it’s gonna keep costing us fadz & Osti at the back gat
James in with Kelly and Hamer t help control things we lack composure without James

AOM

Did anybody hear the statistic somebody sent into CWR before the game about us playing 5 at the back vs 4? I only heard part of it.

Sounded pretty interesting that the 4 at the back win % was actually a lot better

cc84cov

Did anybody hear the statistic somebody sent into CWR before the game about us playing 5 at the back vs 4? I only heard part of it.

Sounded pretty interesting that the 4 at the back win % was actually a lot better
The extra man in midfield it allows us with 4 at the back helps control things as robins kept talking about last night their midfield 2 were far superior to Kelly & Hamer

KenilworthSkyBlue

The extra man in midfield it allows us with 4 at the back helps control things as robins kept talking about last night their midfield 2 were far superior to Kelly & Hamer

Agreed. I think it would have to be dependent on opposition but it would be interesting to see four at the back with Kelly/James in front, O'Hare/Hamer pushed further forward and Biamou/Walker partnering up top.

If we continue with the long ball, we need the extra AM to put pressure on the back line and chase the second ball.

Our wing backs are currently doing nothing to support the attack at present which negates the purpose of the back five.

Last edited:

AOM

Yeah true, think it will vary game by game depending on the team we're playing against as well.
I can't remember who it was earlier in the season where we looked awful with 4 and then a lot more composed and better in possession when we bought an extra defender on.

cc84cov

Agreed. I think it would have to be dependent on opposition but it would be interesting to see four at the back with Kelly/James in front, O'Hare/Hamer pushed further forward and Biamou/Walker partnering up top.

If we continue with the long ball, we need the extra AM to put pressure on the back line and chase the second ball.

Our wing backs are currently doing nothing to support the attack at present which negates the purpose of the back five.
We should of gone into a back 4 at half time last night as wing backs just are not effective adding James with Kelly and Hamer Would of gave us control which he said he wanted it’s strange he jus doesn’t react

johnwillomagic

I cannot see our pitch getting any better between now and Saturday meaning attractive passing football will be difficult.
As our wingbacks are not getting forward at all really would recommend a 4-3-3 formation having an extra midfielder in the centre for the scrap.

Also as we are going more direct and I think we will need to out of necessity I am going for a wildcard of trying Baka up in the three for this pace and physicality over O'Hare who I would definitely bring on second half as opposition tires and he can be a very effective impact sub.

Not 100% but think I would give Marosi another go in goal and obviosuly Osti comes back in for me.

Derby only plat 1 up top and think Osti and Fadz best centre back partnership to deal with Kazeem Richards physicality.

Proposed Team

Marosi

Dabo Osti Fadz McCallum

Hamer Kelly James

Baka Biamou Walker

Subs: Wilson, Pask, Hyam, Rose, Sheaf, Shipley, O'Hare, Gyo, Godden (if not Allen).

Frostie

Technically true but misleading as it is removing all context.

Back 4:
Pl 6
W 2 - Cardiff (H), Sheff Wed (H)
D 3 - Derby (A), Birmingham (H & A)
L 1 - Forest (H)
9pts -1.5ppg

Back 3:
26pts from 28 games - 0.93ppg

So we've only ever played a back 4 on 6 occasions, all of them against teams in/around relegation (at the time in Cardiff's case).

Some of them have been by far our worst performances of the season - the home fixture vs a pretty poor Birmingham was very lucky for example, that's the match where Jutkiewicz missed a hat-trick of really good chances & we only had an xG>1 in 2 out of the 6 fixtures so never looked like scoring many either.

The system was rightly ditched after just 3 games & only revisited for another 3 out of necessity when McFadz missed games through a ban & Covid.

Users who are viewing this thread