David Speedie comments CWR (2 Viewers)

Terry_dactyl

He has a point, even watching the Chelsea match yesterday it was just women pretty much.

The irony is that he was being interviewed by an equally as bad male journalist.

Don't think he worded it very well.

Sky are clearly going over the top with inclusion.
How should he have worded it?

PVA

Yes he sometimes gets players mixed up but overall Clive is very good I think.

Agree on Winch, seems a bit pointless.

At least his in game comments are better than his post match questions...

'Well done on your goal Viktor, do you think it was important to score a goal?'
'Congratulations on the win Mark, you must be happy that Coventry scored more goals than the opposition today?'

wingy

Savage is terrible. I have no problem with Alex Scott.

Such a shame that a player who was great for us holds such opinions. Well done Clive on the way he dealt with these comments.
I do get it, but you know it's an opinion rather outdated, generational upbringing norms from the day.

But I do find that the beeb constantly qualify after interviewing absolutely anyone about anything that it's not it's opinion annoying.
Of course it's not you're just a conduit.

fatso

Don't think anyone is changing their opinion of him as a player. That would be stupid. It's just disappointing that he holds such ridiculous views.
Is he not entitled to his view though?
Just because it's not pc doesnt mean he cant have a personal view.

clint van damme

Of course. But wasn't my point.

Michael Owen. High pitched whine winds me up. Allowed.

Woman commentator. High pitched whine winds me up. Not allowed.

But his were general comments on women commentators not individuals.
And to be honest, if your trying to break into the media I wouldn't have thought singling out individual commentators or summarisers would be advisable no matter the gender of the commentator.

fatso

But media outlets are totally entitled to say that's not what we want
They are, and tbf, Clive did say as much.
But we have to be careful of denying people the right to have their own opinion, even if it's not to the approval of the majority. And why bother asking someone a question if you only want a benign boring pc answer.

clint van damme

They are, and tbf, Clive did say as much.
But we have to be careful of denying people the right to have their own opinion, even if it's not to the approval of the majority. And why bother asking someone a question if you only want a benign boring pc answer.

So it's either a boring PC answer or it slates women in the game?
There is a middle ground.
As I've said, if there's a broadcaster that wants to go down that route I'm sure they'll give him a gig.

fatso

So it's either a boring PC answer or it slates women in the game?
There is a middle ground.
As I've said, if there's a broadcaster that wants to go down that route I'm sure they'll give him a gig.
That's the risk you take when you invite a non pro broadcaster onto a live show.
I'd sooner hear an honest (if bizarre) opinion, than have someone read out a pre prepared pc answer off a list of acceptable answers.
How boring would that be?

clint van damme

That's the risk you take when you invite a non pro broadcaster onto a live show.
I'd sooner hear an honest (if bizarre) opinion, than have someone read out a pre prepared pc answer off a list of acceptable answers.

And if there is enough audience who share your opinion he'll get another crack.

But if there isnt then he may struggle, but its not cancelling him, which is my main point.

SkyBlueMatt

That is a car crash moment. It wasn't at all put across in a way to have an intelligent debate. He just spouted his archaic views on women and complained that there was too much politics in football, I wonder what he could possibly mean by that?

A bloke with outdated views whos stuck in his ways. Nothing wrong with that, if thats what he believes, its not hurting anyone but the world has moved on and its unlikely he'll get too much work as a pundit.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

It would be interesting if the tv gave an opt spin of male or female commentators what the split would be.

JAM See

"Well Clive, I don't watch much football on TV these days. They've employed brown people, forrinners and now wimmin. Where will it end?"

Travs

Whatever he meant by it... i agree that there's too much politics in football, and think that the ban on "political statements" by FIFA/UEFA was one of the few things they actually got right.

If players etc want to take the knee... fine. But then those same players are going to be off to the World Cup in Qatar next year... it opens them up for all manner of criticism if they're happy to "endorse" playing a World Cup that was clearly won by bribery and corruption, and played in a country with a (to say the least) questionable record on human rights.

That's my issue with politics in football... it just opens a massive can of worms.

Astute

But his were general comments on women commentators not individuals.
And to be honest, if your trying to break into the media I wouldn't have thought singling out individual commentators or summarisers would be advisable no matter the gender of the commentator.
I didn't mention Speedie. Neither did you.

I said that I don't like high pitched shouting while watching a game of football. It is as bad or even worse than the canned noise of supporters at games when nobody was allowed to go.

My point was I am allowed to say Owens voice is too high pitched for me. But as soon as I say it about a woman others are ready to pounce and tell me how wrong I am. This is nothing to do with comments by Speedie or others similar.

clint van damme

I didn't mention Speedie. Neither did you.

I said that I don't like high pitched shouting while watching a game of football. It is as bad or even worse than the canned noise of supporters at games when nobody was allowed to go.

My point was I am allowed to say Owens voice is too high pitched for me. But as soon as I say it about a woman others are ready to pounce and tell me how wrong I am. This is nothing to do with comments by Speedie or others similar.

Plenty of people, including me, have criticised individual woman commentators on this and other threads and no one has pulled us up for it.

That's different to making sweeping comments on all women commentators.
Of course it may be your experience on other platforms or in actual conversations that that's happened but I haven't seen it happen on here.

fatso

Whatever he meant by it... i agree that there's too much politics in football, and think that the ban on "political statements" by FIFA/UEFA was one of the few things they actually got right.

If players etc want to take the knee... fine. But then those same players are going to be off to the World Cup in Qatar next year... it opens them up for all manner of criticism if they're happy to "endorse" playing a World Cup that was clearly won by bribery and corruption, and played in a country with a (to say the least) questionable record on human rights.

That's my issue with politics in football... it just opens a massive can of worms.
I agree, and I often think it somewhat ironic that a player can (rightly) take the knee in a stance against racism while wearing a shirt sponsored by a gambling company.

Astute

Plenty of people, including me, have criticised individual woman commentators on this and other threads and no one has pulled us up for it.

That's different to making sweeping comments on all women commentators.
Of course it may be your experience on other platforms or in actual conversations that that's happened but I haven't seen it happen on here.
Yet I have been pulled up by you for saying the same thing? Because I haven't said anything else.

I don't like high pitched commentary especially when they get too excited. Man or woman. I don't know anyone who enjoys it. Even my wife said how awful it sounds. She was in the kitchen and came in to see what the screaming was we were watching 🤣

usskyblue

Thefuck is it ‘cancel culture’

It’s about understanding and acknowledging that people have spent decades fighting mindless discrimination that’s unfairly kept them from earning opportunities in life.

Things are far from perfect but most (not all) of society has moved towards embracing change.
Public figures that use their privilege to make bigot-laced statements are actually canceling themselves.

Grendel

If you don’t like high pitched commentary you wouldn’t have listened to CWR for 20 years

SCRAMBLED AWAY

• Haha
Reactions: TTG

Users who are viewing this thread