David Speedie comments CWR (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Thefuck is it ‘cancel culture’

It’s about understanding and acknowledging that people have spent decades fighting mindless discrimination that’s unfairly kept them from earning opportunities in life.

Things are far from perfect but most (not all) of society has moved towards embracing change.
Public figures that use their privilege to make bigot-laced statements are actually canceling themselves.

no that’s not cancel culture

Brighton Sky Blue

I actually don't mind Clive, he's alot better than many local radio hosts when I listen on the way back from games

If he was a coventry fan I suspect people would feel differently about him

I don't think you could have covered every home and away game for as long as he has, through the grimmest of times and not have some attachment to the club.

blunted

Classic! Not quite as bad as when Atkinson was manager on a phone in and a woman was berating him for not selecting Coby Jones.

Went something along the lines of:

“why isn’t Coby playing”

“he’s not good enough”

It went on for a bit longer and Ron signed off by telling her to go and out the kettle on - there’s a good girl
I knew some telephone engineers who were Villa fans and hooked up a loudspeaker to Ron's phone in the exchange to see if they could find out transfer info. All they got all the time was his wife unhappy what Ron was upto with his extra cirricular marriage activities.

skyblue1991

I think on a general discussion point unfortunately the women who generally do the presenting and interviewing on Tv are actually not very good
I like Kelly Cates as a presenter, helps that she was surrounded by football her entire life. I'm surprised she wasn't mentioned before this post

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

wingy

Just thinking on ,always found Gabby Yorath extremely proficient in her presenting across the various sport disciplines.
Been at it for so many years now , she was an early bird in the scheme of things.
Thinking back don't recall her recieving any negative brickbats.

Adge

Not eye candy like some of the others, but Clare Balding also knows her stuff.

Reactions: PVA

stevefloyd

The problem is a lot of women are introduced into 'mens former world' for the sake of PR now its not doing them or anyone any favours if they are not good enough in the first place regardless of gender Phil Neville got roasted Michael Owens a boring c**t but nobodys allowed to say any women are shite because of political correctness these days .. now as far as I am concerned if they are good they get my vote if they are not they get a thumbs down. I don't particularly like referees because the vast majority are crap but I have to say I thought the Russian woman ref against Andorra was excellent

wingy

The problem is a lot of women are introduced into 'mens former world' for the sake of PR now its not doing them or anyone any favours if they are not good enough in the first place regardless of gender Phil Neville got roasted Michael Owens a boring c**t but nobodys allowed to say any women are shite because of political correctness these days .. now as far as I am concerned if they are good they get my vote if they are not they get a thumbs down. I don't particularly like referees because the vast majority are crap but I have to say I thought the Russian woman ref against Andorra was excellent
Felt she was a tad card happy.

Is it really PR.
Thought it was more do with equality really.

Torquay Sky Blue

Speedie said what a lot of people are thinking. I don't agree that women don't know what they're on about but their representation is a bit extreme these days. Even my partner says there is too many women on football programs now ... and she's a female

Terry_dactyl

Speedie said what a lot of people are thinking. I don't agree that women don't know what they're on about but their representation is a bit extreme these days. Even my partner says there is too many women on football programs now ... and she's a female
Well that’s that then!

I think as long as you don’t like a female presenter/pundit/commentators because you think theyre shite, talk rubbish, find them irritating for having a squeaky voice etc etc. Basically the same reasons you don’t like male pundits.
Speedie’s remarks were about not liking women because they are…women. He’s a fucking idiot.

Skybluefaz

There's the first one.

You can say that a female pundit is shit if you want, no one is going to lock you up. You can't just say all women in the men's game are ruining it. Cos that is a cunty thing to say.

Skyblueweeman

Their representation is a bit extreme? The reason for this whole 'debate' is that their representation is anything but extreme - that's the point.

Womens football was banned up until the 50s I think - women are decades behind men in terms of training, opportunities and set up in football - and given that half of the worlds population is female, a lot is being done to address the balance. Why shouldn't females have the opportunity to commentate on the sport if they've got good pedigree?

Silly comment really Torquay.

As for those who say some female commentators annoy them - I get that, me too. But many male commentators annoy me as well. For every Balding, Scott, Logan, Guha, Oakley, Hayes there's a Savage, Owen, Townsend, McManaman etc.

Women are equally as good at commentating as men. Some men folk just need to get over their narrow minded views.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

As for those who say some female commentators annoy them - I get that, me too. But many male commentators annoy me as well. For every Balding, Scott, Logan, Guha, Oakley, Hayes there's a Savage, Owen, Townsend, McManaman etc.
Yeah tbf I get it in isolation, and sometimes I do find myself wondering if a female panellist is tokenistic. Then I remember it could be Robbie Savage, and it suddenly doesn't seem so bad!

covboy9

Fuck me is this even news

yeah it was a sexist comment whether it’s true or not doesn’t matter just one blokes opinion one bloke that frankly no one cares what his opinion is

for keyboard warriors to call him an idiot or ridiculous I’d worse imo🤦🏻‍♂️

covboy9

If he’d have said I don’t watch prem cos they mainly cheating cunts no one would ace batted an eyelid😂

Torquay Sky Blue

Their representation is a bit extreme? The reason for this whole 'debate' is that their representation is anything but extreme - that's the point.

Womens football was banned up until the 50s I think - women are decades behind men in terms of training, opportunities and set up in football - and given that half of the worlds population is female, a lot is being done to address the balance. Why shouldn't females have the opportunity to commentate on the sport if they've got good pedigree?

Silly comment really Torquay.

Women are equally as good at commentating as men. Some just need to get over their narrow minded views.
Fair comment Weeman , I always respect your views. And perhaps I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to football. I really should move with the times but feel there are too many women all at once getting the jobs because theyre women and not because they are talented speakers with anything interesting to say.
Look ,there's a lot of regulars on here who won't join in this debate for fear of being labelled sexist bigots.
I like Wright and Keane because they play up to their billing and add a bit of controversy.
All of the new football woman just state the obvious . They are a boring nondescript bunch if I'm being honest.

Jesse Carver

It's not the first time he's let the veil slip and broadcast his abhorrent views:-

Independent Article 2004

Ex-footballer makes 'racist' remarks at ball

Paul Watson

Tuesday 23 November 2004 01:00

Former international footballer David Speedie sparked outrage after using the terms "b******s" and "n*****s" at a charity function.

Former international footballer David Speedie sparked outrage after using the terms " b******s " and " n*****s " at a charity function.

The former Chelsea, Liverpool and Scotland international made the racist remarks just days after the fury surrounding England's ill-tempered clash with Spain which was marred by racist chanting aimed at England's black players.

Speedie started the evening by agreeing with comments made by shamed TV pundit Ron Atkinson.

Atkinson resigned earlier this year after calling former Chelsea star Marcel Desailly insulting racist names.

Speedie was speaking at a Darlington Supporters' Trust sportsman's dinner on Friday evening at a town hotel in aid of the Percy Hedley Foundation charity when he made his remarks.

covboy9

I personally don’t care who’s presenting I often watch games with commentary off it’s no big deal

Christ I think lee Hendrie is a decent pundit, I think Jamie mackie and Clinton Morrison are borderline retards,I think Merson has been nicking a living for years, I think bianca is brilliant most of the women presenting seem to know there stuff none of this is even worth talking about

cricket is a different story imo some off the female presenters on that are way out of their depth

it’s horse for courses, commentary in cricket is more important than in football

online forums and social media just causes trouble, debate/arguing with people you don’t know

what speedie said is his opinion, I don’t care what it is either way but I don’t care what it is I care that people have to challenge it

SlowerThanPlatt

I personally don’t care who’s presenting I often watch games with commentary off it’s no big deal

Christ I think lee Hendrie is a decent pundit, I think Jamie mackie and Clinton Morrison are borderline retards,I think Merson has been nicking a living for years, I think bianca is brilliant most of the women presenting seem to know there stuff none of this is even worth talking about

cricket is a different story imo some off the female presenters on that are way out of their depth

it’s horse for courses, commentary in cricket is more important than in football

online forums and social media just causes trouble, debate/arguing with people you don’t know

what speedie said is his opinion, I don’t care what it is either way but I don’t care what it is I care that people have to challenge it

Where do you draw the line? Racism you wouldn’t care about, after all it’s only an opinion and everyones allowed one and take issue with those challenging it.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

They are a boring nondescript bunch if I'm being honest.
Can you imagine the amount of flak a woman would get if she had the forthright and controversial opinions that Keane etc had? They'd be told to get "back to the kitchen", "Classic woman, no idea what they are talking about" etc. The privilege of being a bloke allows us to state strong and divisive opinions without our gender being used as a source of credibility.

Ccfcisparks

Think this choice of language says it all

Users who are viewing this thread