David Speedie comments CWR (2 Viewers)

Grendel

I like Alex Scott, I don't like the Brummie girl but it's her voice that grinds in the same way Michael Owens does.

If I’m honest I do think most women pundits in football are hopeless. This isn’t a sexist thing as I rate Isa Guha as the best cricket pundit and commentator out there at the minute and also Ebony Rainsford-Brent is excellent

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Jackie Oakley is very good - Alex Scott is very bad - then again so is Robbie Savage
At the end of the day, whats done is done, he has said something wrong, whether he meant it in a malicious way or not we shall not know but gender doesnt impact performance, at the end of the day if someone isnt good enough for something they aren’t if say he pointed out it was Males who are doing a bad job working around Netball, no one would give a shit, if he said someone straight isnt doing a great job then no one would care unless it was female, if he said someone of a different race was shit at something even if it was true it would be seen as racist or non-inclusive. Im gonna stop myself before I get even more carried away, but I hope you see my point in a way that if someone made comments about someone not doing their job in the correct way, people seem to react on race, gender, orientation etc…

Grendel

At the end of the day, whats done is done, he has said something wrong, whether he meant it in a malicious way or not we shall not know but gender doesnt impact performance, at the end of the day if someone isnt good enough for something they aren’t if say he pointed out it was Males who are doing a bad job working around Netball, no one would give a shit, if he said someone straight isnt doing a great job then no one would care unless it was female, if he said someone of a different race was shit at something even if it was true it would be seen as racist or non-inclusive. Im gonna stop myself before I get even more carried away, but I hope you see my point in a way that if someone made comments about someone not doing their job in the correct way, people seem to react on race, gender, orientation etc…

Im sure there is an element of box ticking but it does seem unfair that ex pros with clearly very little ability are just put in jobs. Robbie Savage is dire. Jackie Oakley is a trained journalist and it shows.

Brighton Sky Blue

What ‘happens’ to him shouldn’t be based on what he said but how he responds to the criticism. Big Ron reacted by getting a documentary to the effect of ‘I have black friends’.

The issue with women commentators is ironically trying to do it too much like their male counterparts, with fake guttural stops/inflections/raised voice etc. At least more of them have actually played the game

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Im sure there is an element of box ticking but it does seem unfair that ex pros with clearly very little ability are just put in jobs. Robbie Savage is dire. Jackie Oakley is a trained journalist and it shows.
I agree, but realistically they are in the job as they have actual knowledge behind the sport as shit as they may be

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Realistically people should only get the job if they are the best equipped or gave the best impression rather than how they look, who they are, who they like

Grendel

Ex pros who are articulate are in short supply alas. Lineker and Lampard I like

Well as you’ve bought that up I’ll elaborate

Oakley is highly qualified and intelligent as is Chris Sutton. Ida Guha and Rainsford - Brent have serious degrees and it shows

clint van damme

What happened to free speech, I get where he's coming from although a bit over the top and I think he'd had a drink or 2, some of the women pundits are on TV for the sake of it not there football knowledge. IMHO of course😉

But he is free to express that opinion, and media outlets are free to say that's not the type of output we want.

I'm sure the Daily Mail wouldn't employ Owen Jones and the same with the Guardian and Dan Hodges but that's not cancelling them. Both have ample outlets for expressing their opinions.

shepardo01

Was a weird interview.

He was also saying that there would be things coming out that he couldn't talk about yet and also something about being a drug dealer but the courts/trial said he wasn't!!!????!!!!

clint van damme

It's all personal preferences isn't it as I just can't abide Oakley's voice.

Same,I don't like her actually commentating because she struggles to convey excitement but her summarising of games and general reporting is good.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's all personal preferences isn't it as I just can't abide Oakley's voice.

I don’t mind it. There are in general too many trying to sound like male ones and as their voice isn’t as deep it gets mocked more often. There are countless useless male pundits and commentators though and that’s what Speedie would be wise to have acknowledged.

Anyone watching football YouTubers, the Stunt Pegg channel is excellent, done by a really knowledgeable Bolton fan. She should be invited for some punditry or podcasts, well worth a listen

baldy

What Speedie said was his own opinion though,simple as that - it hasn’t changed my stance on how brilliant he was when he played for us - its a bit feeble if you change your opinion of him as a player just because of what he said yesterday…get a grip

Hertsccfc

What Speedie said was his own opinion though,simple as that - it hasn’t changed my stance on how brilliant he was when he played for us - its a bit feeble if you change your opinion of him as a player just because of what he said yesterday…get a grip
Don't think anyone is changing their opinion of him as a player. That would be stupid. It's just disappointing that he holds such ridiculous views.

TomRad85

Well as you’ve bought that up I’ll elaborate

Oakley is highly qualified and intelligent as is Chris Sutton. Ida Guha and Rainsford - Brent have serious degrees and it shows
I quite like Sue Smith, not sure if she does commentary, she defo does punditry, but that's about it.
I get his general hatred for the Premier league, I don't watch it anymore either but I don't think that's the reason

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JAM See

I don't think anybody is changing their opinion of him as a player.

Just as a person.

Astute

Realistically people should only get the job if they are the best equipped or gave the best impression rather than how they look, who they are, who they like
And also you should be able to say someone is crap without having to think if you are allowed to say or not.

I love my little boy. I love watching football with my little boy. But although he is only 11 and quite knowledgeable on football I wouldn't want to listen to a commentary from him when he gets excited. But there would be many ready to pounce if I said this about a woman.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I think on a general discussion point unfortunately the women who generally do the presenting and interviewing on Tv are actually not very good

This also goes for the men too though. So many shit male pundits. I’d imagine the % of good male and female presenters/pundits would be very similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Not one person has.

Nick

Administrator
He has a point, even watching the Chelsea match yesterday it was just women pretty much.

The irony is that he was being interviewed by an equally as bad male journalist.

Don't think he worded it very well.

Sky are clearly going over the top with inclusion.

clint van damme

And also you should be able to say someone is crap without having to think if you are allowed to say or not.

I love my little boy. I love watching football with my little boy. But although he is only 11 and quite knowledgeable on football I wouldn't want to listen to a commentary from him when he gets excited. But there would be many ready to pounce if I said this about a woman.

But you could say it, and people would disagree, and you could say it again, and people would disagree, but you're not working for a media outlet.

If there's a media outlet covering sports that wants to kick back against women commentators then I'm sure they'll employ him and people who align with that point of view will be free to tune in.

But if that's not the way a media outlet wants to go then that's their perogative.

Astute

He has a point, even watching the Chelsea match yesterday it was just women pretty much.

The irony is that he was being interviewed by an equally as bad male journalist.

If he has a valid point he put it across totally wrong.

Skybluefaz

I like Emma Hayes and Alex Scott, they don't or shouldn't need my or anyone else's endorsement or permission to be in the game though. Judge them on their merits. (I think most are on here tbf).

You always get a few twats that shit themselves about positive discrimination on here though, like when Scott was rumoured to be the new QoS host but it ended up being that fine athlete Paddy McGuiness. Thank god he got the job, he's not got much air time of late.

Astute

But you could say it, and people would disagree, and you could say it again, and people would disagree, but you're not working for a media outlet.

If there's a media outlet covering sports that wants to kick back against women commentators then I'm sure they'll employ him and people who align with that point of view will be free to tune in.

But if that's not the way a media outlet wants to go then that's their perogative.
Of course. But wasn't my point.

Michael Owen. High pitched whine winds me up. Allowed.

Woman commentator. High pitched whine winds me up. Not allowed.

better days

Of course. But wasn't my point.

Michael Owen. High pitched whine winds me up. Allowed.

Woman commentator. High pitched whine winds me up. Not allowed.
My two least favourite commentators are Michael Owen and Steve McManaman
Both bloody irritating
I really like a lot of the female pundits
For example Michelle Owen and Bianca Westwood are really great and their banter with Jeff Stelling is brilliant
They're both very experienced now and like all of us in our jobs the longer you do something the more confident you become

Grendel

Who was the male journalist?

Users who are viewing this thread