David Speedie comments CWR (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

I have seen both live and thought Jo Brand was very funny and Ed Byrne not very funny at all.

The Jo Brand gig though was many, many moons ago. The 0203 Comedy Club in Coventry.

Fair enough. Just when I've seen her on shows like QI, 8 out of 10 Cats etc, she just seems to do really obvious jokes which are more like someone trying to make a story sound funny - which she doesn't (in my opinion). Someone like Billy Connolly is a master of that - telling stories but making them sound like jokes.

Maybe I will give her the benefit of the doubt on Taskmaster on the back of the feedback from your good self and NW.

Otis

Fair enough. Just when I've seen her on shows like QI, 8 out of 10 Cats etc, she just seems to do really obvious jokes which are more like someone trying to make a story sound funny - which she doesn't (in my opinion). Someone like Billy Connolly is a master of that - telling stories but making them sound like jokes.

Maybe I will give her the benefit of the doubt on Taskmaster on the back of the feedback from your good self and NW.
I don't find her so funny nowadays. She was a lot more punchy and self-deprecating back then.

Let me know what you think to her on TM.

She's 64 now, so maybe she just ran out of jokes. 🤪

baldy

I don't find her so funny nowadays. She was a lot more punchy and self-deprecating back then.

Let me know what you think to her on TM.

She's 64 now, so maybe she just ran out of jokes. 🤪

Jo Brands routine just consists of her telling the same old repetitive 'joke' about how fat she is

Reactions: KAB

duffer

Wow, if man said that about a woman. Not funny.

Interesting point this. I'm not saying you're wrong, but there are kind of two aspects to this joke...

The first is it's a reversal of an old saying, "The quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach". We're back on women cooking with that one, and there's no equivalent saying for women, so reversing the joke simply doesn't work.

The second point is that proportionately far more women get killed/beaten/raped by men than the other way around. So reversing the joke also doesn't really work from that angle.

My ten-bob take on it is this: If your joke is on someone in a weaker position than you because of gender, or race, or disability, then it might need rethinking.

If the joke reverses that power issue, then the reversal usually becomes key to the joke.

An example, my dad, an Irishman, when he got a bit tired of all of the 'thick Paddy' jokes, would crack this one...

"Do you know why the Irish are so thick? It's so the English can understand them!"

Tricky thing, humour. I'm not saying the oven jokes aren't funny by the way, I've cracked them myself if I was honest.

But the 'chain to the cooker' is such an old trope that I think most people know that it isn't true any more. So maybe there's less harm in those gags now - I'm not sure in truth, my wife might differ!

But I do know for sure that if you're going to dish it out, you've got to be ready to have some back. So given the thread, I'm not sure your 'wow' response is merited. It's your opinion though, I can respect that.

Skyblueweeman

An example, my dad, an Irishman, when he got a bit tired of all of the 'thick Paddy' jokes, would crack this one...

"Do you know why the Irish are so thick? It's so the English can understand them!"

Being an Irishman, I'm 100% pinching that. Cheers Duffer.

better days

Interesting point this. I'm not saying you're wrong, but there are kind of two aspects to this joke...

The first is it's a reversal of an old saying, "The quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach". We're back on women cooking with that one, and there's no equivalent saying for women, so reversing the joke simply doesn't work.

The second point is that proportionately far more women get killed/beaten/raped by men than the other way around. So reversing the joke also doesn't really work from that angle.

My ten-bob take on it is this: If your joke is on someone in a weaker position than you because of gender, or race, or disability, then it might need rethinking.

If the joke reverses that power issue, then the reversal usually becomes key to the joke.

Tricky thing, humour. I'm not saying the oven jokes aren't funny by the way, I've cracked them myself if I was honest.

But the 'chain to the cooker' is such an old trope that I think most people know that it isn't true any more. So maybe there's less harm in those gags now - I'm not sure in truth, my wife might differ!

But I do know for sure that if you're going to dish it out, you've got to be ready to have some back. So given the thread, I'm not sure your 'wow' response is merited. It's your opinion though, I can respect that.
I used to spend a lot of time in Ireland with Irish friends
They all told the same jokes but used 'Kerryman' instead of 'Irishman'
It's the same the world over

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I do understand what you're saying but it can be a bit tiring when you hear someone complain about a certain thing or stereotyping a certain type of person and then they go and do the exact same thing the other way round. I'm sure they'll say they're doing it in some ironic way but IMO they just lose any point they may have had.

A couple of examples are Nish Kumar and Rachel Parris who talk a lot about racism and sexism respectively and then a lot of their material is on stereotypes of white people and men. Another is Catherine Bohart who seems to want to tell everyone they're an ill-informed know-it-all despite quite often coming across as one herself.

baldy

The cooker joke is badly outdated now to be honest.....especially when women have access to microwaves

duffer

I used to spend a lot of time in Ireland with Irish friends
They all told the same jokes but used 'Kerryman' instead of 'Irishman'
It's the same the world over

It is. I suspect every culture has its 'Irish' jokes. That doesn't make it right though.

I don't think Irish jokes hold as much power now as they did over here because it's widely known that those of Irish descent are obviously better educated and better looking than most of the locals. :)

However, I will stick to my opinion which is that jokes about racial minorities which perpetuate a negative stereotype aren't a good thing (or especially funny, often). For starters, there are too many dickheads who start to believe them!

Sick Boy

I don't think Irish jokes hold as much power now as they did over here because it's widely known that those of Irish descent are obviously better educated and better looking than most of the locals. :)
I consider myself to be a prime example.

better days

It is. I suspect every culture has its 'Irish' jokes. That doesn't make it right though.

However, I will stick to my opinion which is that jokes about racial minorities which perpetuate a negative stereotype aren't a good thing (or especially funny, often). For starters, there are too many dickheads who start to believe them!
Funnily enough I still occasionally hear such jokes but these days the butt is 'Millwall fan'

duffer

I do understand what you're saying but it can be a bit tiring when you hear someone complain about a certain thing or stereotyping a certain type of person and then they go and do the exact same thing the other way round. I'm sure they'll say they're doing it in some ironic way but IMO they just lose any point they may have had.

A couple of examples are Nish Kumar and Rachel Parris who talk a lot about racism and sexism respectively and then a lot of their material is on stereotypes of white people and men. Another is Catherine Bohart who seems to want to tell everyone they're an ill-informed know-it-all despite quite often coming across as one herself.

A fair point, but look at it this way. As a white, middle aged dad, the stereotype which gets a few laughs is that of an overweight, bumbling, clumsy buffoon with no culture and who can't be trusted around fragile objects or alcohol.

It doesn't help that I fit that stereotype rather neatly, but when I get a bit of leg pulling over it I console myself with the fact that I've never been held back because of it.

People of a different ethnicity, gender, or orientation, might not see demeaning jokes at their expense as quite as funny, especially if they're coming from someone like me.

(I should also confess that I haven't heard of the people you're quoting here, I refer again to my lack of culture.). :)

Greggs

Ginger's have the shortest end of the stick, i still know lads with orange hair that go by the nickname 'ginge'. When is their time?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ginger's have the shortest end of the stick, i still know lads with orange hair that go by the nickname 'ginge'. When is their time?

Winter.

The sun's not very kind to them.

(My family has quite a few ginger/red haired people and my facial hair is VERY ginger in a certain light)

usskyblue

Ah, the ‘I have ginger friends’ line. Ed Sheeran will decide

He’ll take it on the chin m8

giphy.gif

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

1. I don't dish it out.

2. Those jokes belong back in the 70s.

Macca

Ok I hold my hand up. Having been brought up with only male commentators it still seems strange to hear female ones. To my son he will no zero difference. Would I make an ill judged comment as a public figure? No. Speedie always had a bit of a dark side but as a club who gave Marlon King a chance maybe we should take it for what it is. Someone from a different era not reading the room

Macca

I would add that this is not a knowledge or professionalism thing. God the blokes are almost to a man bloody awful. It’s more a case of as bad as they are I know them and remember their careers. Take someone like Karen Carney. I couldn’t tell you her age, position, who she played for or anything she did. I’d no more know that than the profile of most league 2 players. So when she is talking I just can’t engage no matter how good she might be. As I said in a previous post it will be different for my sons generation with the greater coverage of the women’s game. It may well move to having genuine parity over 20 years. Ultimately you can’t be made to like something but if you don’t best keep your mouth shut

duffer

1. I don't dish it out.

2. Those jokes belong back in the 70s.

1. Until now I didn't see you stepping up to complain about the 'kitchen' jokes. So unless I missed it you didn't say anything until the joke was turned back on men. Interesting that. In my book, if you walk by it, you stand by it.

2. Two pithy comments don't even start to address the issue, which is why I took the time to offer a bit of detail on my point of view. Ditto 'wow', which is fake and puerile, imho (see also, OMG).

3. Don't have a third point, but things always sound better in threes.

Users who are viewing this thread