Match Thread Coventry City - Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Wednesday 4th Oct (3 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Genuine question , before the late season rally which was exciting , were we really entertained that much last season ?

Yes

Wigan, QPR, West Brom, Sunderland at home off the top of my head

Sky Blue Harry H

Yes

Wigan, QPR, West Brom, Sunderland at home off the top of my head

Wigan was a really poor game iirc, with just the outstanding goal from Gyokeres in about the 94th minute. West Brom was a 93rd minute penalty. Last night's game had at least as much entertainment/incident as either of those.

Deity

Wright came on against a tiring defence and was lucky enough to get an unchallenged header from 6 yards. Fair play for putting it in, but if he'd of missed it, he'd be on the first plain back to America this morning.

Then right at the death he had a run from the half way line and there's 2 options. 1) go to the corner flag, or 2) cut inside the defender and unleash a power shot, and he does neither, he totally fucks up and their keeper launches it down field. He's got to do better than that.

Godden worked his socks off last night and was continually helping the midfield and even the defence out, while also trying to make an Impression upfront alongside Simms who offered very little.

There's a very good reason why MR won't start Simms and Wright together while Godden is fit.
A desperate interpretation.

all those Godden fans saying a strikers contribution doesn’t matter it’s only about scoring now in a tricky position.

Simms and Wright scoring and Godden isn’t. Now it’s all about the strikers contribution to justify keeping him in 😂.

Saddlebrains

Wigan was a really poor game iirc, with just the outstanding goal from Gyokeres in about the 94th minute. West Brom was a 93rd minute penalty. Last night's game had at least as much entertainment/incident as either of those.

Naa Wigan we battered them could have been 6

fatso

all those Godden fans saying a strikers contribution doesn’t matter it’s only about scoring now in a tricky position.

Simms and Wright scoring and Godden isn’t. Now it’s all about the strikers contribution to justify keeping him in 😂.
It's results that count.
Do you honestly think Godden or Simms or any other player wouldn't of put that chance away if it had fell to them?

And was Simms on the pitch last night 😉

clint van damme

You're not recognising his contribution which Fatso hilighted though I agree about goals if Goddden hits a barren spell he should be dropped, that's how it should work.

He's not there yet though.

covcity4life

Wright came on against a tiring defence and was lucky enough to get an unchallenged header from 6 yards. Fair play for putting it in, but if he'd of missed it, he'd be on the first plain back to America this morning.

Then right at the death he had a run from the half way line and there's 2 options. 1) go to the corner flag, or 2) cut inside the defender and unleash a power shot, and he does neither, he totally fucks up and their keeper launches it down field. He's got to do better than that.

Godden worked his socks off last night and was continually helping the midfield and even the defence out, while also trying to make an Impression upfront alongside Simms who offered very little.

There's a very good reason why MR won't start Simms and Wright together while Godden is fit.
Fucking hell man

Lucky to get an unchallenged header? If that was godden scoring you would say good strikers are in right place right time etc

And he did fine at end. Slowed it down then sped up and opened up a great chance to score but he hit a shit shot. No issue with him taking the shot though. It had opened up. Look how much time was played after that. No point going corner to waste 20s . We played for like a min and half after.

fatso

Fucking hell man

Lucky to get an unchallenged header? If that was godden scoring you would say good strikers are in right place right time etc

And he did fine at end. Slowed it down then sped up and opened up a great chance to score but he hit a shit shot. No issue with him taking the shot though. It had opened up. Look how much time was played after that. No point going corner to waste 20s . We played for like a min and half after.
Godden was in the right place, he actually stopped his run to not hinder Wright.
Go look back at the goal and watch Godden's movement.

Good luck to Wright for getting his goal, but his contribution doesn't warrant a start.
Which I'd suggest is the reason MR didn't give him a start.

clint van damme

Fucking hell man

I agree it was a good goal, right place, right time and good finish, your 2nd paragraph is wrong though, that was poor from Wright.

He either needed to head to the corner or put the afterburners on and go for goal, in the end he did neither and ended up with a very weak attempt on goal.

He's improving though, but there's still a lot of work for the coaching staff to do.

BlueSkiesForever

Couldn’t agree more, I knew these sort of excuses would crop up as soon as Godden doesn’t score for a few games. Yes he ran around a lot and did try to push them back a bit but tbh it was all completely in vain, him trying to chase the ball around on his own does nothing as they were confident in knocking it around to each other. Yes it looks like he’s doing something but in reality it’s just tiring him out. I think he had one decent shot all game and had one shot that went massively wide in the first half, maybe slid Simms in once but if that was Simms or Wright doing that then people would be saying “all he did was chase the ball all game”.

I thought whilst he tried hard Godden offered very little last night, we were resorting to kicking the ball up field for him to chase but there was no way he was ever winning a single one of those duels against their defenders, nowhere near quick or tall enough. I thought it was perfect for Godden to come off for Wright last night, give Simms 90 mins, show him a bit of confidence, and see what Wright and Simms can do together. If Godden gets injured for some reason then we’ll have 2 strikers that have never played with each other, just seems strange that we spend all this money and then can’t trust them to play together, what sort of message does that send to Simms and Wright?

Last edited:

shmmeee

You say ‘we’, it was mostly Gyo and Hamer creating something from nothing. The defence also went to shit after McF got injured during the international break.

I think people underestimate exactly how poor the team was without the big four. We’re definitely better considering we’re playing without them now. He’ll we’re bringing on Wright and Sakamoto instead of Tavares and that AM signing we made who’s name as already totally escaped me. Maguire?

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm going to be controversial. I don't think Wilson had any control of the ball on their disallowed goal. Would be a tad miffed if i were them

I'd be annoyed if we'd have had that scrubbed out for us.

StrettoBoy

Horrific luck with injuries so far but still mid table and could easily be higher even though we haven’t really hit form yet

If we hadn't conceded that very late goal against Huddersfield we would be sixth, ahead of Leeds on goals scored.

There is a long way to go this season. Personally I don't think we will make the play-offs but if the team can start to gel, Simms and Wright begin to show some more of their quality and we stop having such bad luck with injuries then it's certainly possible.

clint van damme

I'm going to be controversial. I don't think Wilson had any control of the ball on their disallowed goal. Would be a tad miffed if i were them

Where were you sat, (or have you seen a replay)? I'm in 25 and had a good view and was convinced it was a foul but there are moles with cataracts with better eye sight than me.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think people underestimate exactly how poor the team was without the big four. We’re definitely better considering we’re playing without them now. He’ll we’re bringing on Wright and Sakamoto instead of Tavares and that AM signing we made who’s name as already totally escaped me. Maguire?
Thomas will get better with experience I think and Binks is looking like an excellent loan on the other side. Just such a shame we couldn’t sort the midfield out in the summer.

Sky Blue Pete

Where were you sat, (or have you seen a replay)? I'm in 25 and had a good view and was convinced it was a foul but there are moles with cataracts with better eye sight than me.
The law is clear
Goalkeeper has control of the ball

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:
• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms, except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
• holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
• bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s).

Only problem was ref unsighted so needed a buzz from his assistant to make the call

TomRad85

Thomas is the biggest set piece threat that's for sure, only a matter of time before he bags one I think.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Deity

You're not recognising his contribution which Fatso hilighted though I agree about goals if Goddden hits a barren spell he should be dropped, that's how it should work.

He's not there yet though.
I wouldn’t drop Godden yet either but nor would I play him every minute of every match.

Godden does work hard but then so does my Amazon driver so that’s not really the criteria.

It’s about whether strikers impact matches, score goals, create goals, stretch teams out of shape, etc.

My personal view is that IF Simms and Wright can find some confidence they will have more overall impact than Godden.

To do that they need more consistent game time.

Brighton Sky Blue

Thomas is the biggest set piece threat that's for sure, only a matter of time before he bags one I think.

Can count himself very unlucky not to already have a goal. Does however need to focus on more fundamental parts of his game.

SBT

They don’t. Lati needs to slide into the DMs as young Ayari will be horribly exposed otherwise. As an aside, we have now accumulated 4 serious muscle injuries. What are the medical staff doing?
Your criticism suggests that a better medical team would have somehow prevented these injuries - true to some extent, but a much more limited one than you think. I’m not sure there’s a single team in the country not struggling with injuries at the moment.

TomRad85

Good job because at the back he's the biggest weakness we have, shoddy
He looks to have all the attributes, I'm confident they'll come together. Think we've pieced together a very good, young, collection of centre backs. Hope we keep Binks too, probably my player of the season so far. Although I am unsure who replaces Fadz in the middle atm.

Brighton Sky Blue

Your criticism suggests that a better medical team would have somehow prevented these injuries - true to some extent, but a much more limited one than you think. I’m not sure there’s a single team in the country not struggling with injuries at the moment.
I’m more looking at the type of injury, there seems to be a pattern.

shmmeee

Thomas will get better with experience I think and Binks is looking like an excellent loan on the other side. Just such a shame we couldn’t sort the midfield out in the summer.

Not at all convinced by Thomas ATM. If everyone were fit and on form my back line is Lats Fadz Binks. Unless Kitching can come in at CB for Fadz but that hasn’t looked likely so far.

TomRad85

Not at all convinced by Thomas ATM. If everyone were fit and on form my back line is Lats Fadz Binks. Unless Kitching can come in at CB for Fadz but that hasn’t looked likely so far.
Agree to disagree, I think come the middle of season no one will be doubting him, I can see why they bought him it's just putting it together.
Worth noting in comparison to other centre backs we've had, Doyle started horrendously but was brilliant come the end of the season, McNally we all thought was excellent but appears to be having a slow start at Stoke with their fans unconvinced, Panzo who I thought was even more error prone than Thomas currently is had many on here prepared to spend the similar £2 million fee on, just because.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Agree to disagree, I think come the middle of season no one will be doubting him, I can see why they bought him it's just putting it together.
Worth noting in comparison to other centre backs we've had, Doyle started horrendously but was brilliant come the end of the season, McNally we all thought was excellent but appears to be having a slow start at Stoke with their fans unconvinced, Panzo who I thought was even more error prone than Thomas currently is had many on here prepared to spend the similar £2 million fee on, just because.

He scares me like Hyam scared me. So you’re probably right and he’ll end up going for a song lol

BlueSkiesForever

I think it’s going to be hard to get Kitching in the team tbh, I thought our defence was outstanding last night considering how often the midfield and attack gave the ball away. Towards the end of the first half and second half we had to put up with attack after attack as we literally gave Blackburn the ball back as soon as we got it.
Big praise to our back line 👏👏

Users who are viewing this thread