Match Thread Coventry City - Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Wednesday 4th Oct (1 Viewer)

TomRad85

He scares me like Hyam scared me. So you’re probably right and he’ll end up going for a song lol
He's stronger than Hyam but I do see the similarities, feel free to come back to me if he's still doing dodgy shit in a few months though, I can take it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Not at all convinced by Thomas ATM. If everyone were fit and on form my back line is Lats Fadz Binks. Unless Kitching can come in at CB for Fadz but that hasn’t looked likely so far.
He looks like Hyam in his first season in this league, but more confident on the ball. So we’ll have to expect some more errors but come the end of the season he’ll look a shrewd signing.

Grendel

Littlewood CCFC

Wright came on against a tiring defence and was lucky enough to get an unchallenged header from 6 yards. Fair play for putting it in, but if he'd of missed it, he'd be on the first plain back to America this morning.

Then right at the death he had a run from the half way line and there's 2 options. 1) go to the corner flag, or 2) cut inside the defender and unleash a power shot, and he does neither, he totally fucks up and their keeper launches it down field. He's got to do better than that.

Godden worked his socks off last night and was continually helping the midfield and even the defence out, while also trying to make an Impression upfront alongside Simms who offered very little.

There's a very good reason why MR won't start Simms and Wright together while Godden is fit.

Think there's quite an agenda against Haji Wright on this forum which could be down to the price tag and the expectation that comes with that to hit the ground running.

He's not as good technically as i expected to be fair! But has a tremendous amount of power which when he's confident will cause a lot of issues for defences. Viktor Gyokeres was also written off quite quickly during his initial loan here, can we all just give Simms and Wright a chance please and understand they are different players and they need our support.

Just to address your points by the way:

"lucky enough to get an unchallenged header" - It's called following in as good strikers do and the header was not easy as the ball was in the air a long time and required a lot of power to get past the keeper. If Godden scored it you would be saying this I'm sure :)

"Godden worked his socks off while also trying to make an impression upfront along Simms who offered very little" - Yeah Godden did work very hard, i'm not his biggest fan at all but he work hard and played some nice 1st time passes for the wing backs, but thought Simms did the same 1st half and had some nice touches to get us going forward.

Personally can't see this very good reason why Wright and Simms can't start together, could you share please? both tall powerful strikers who could get on the end of balls into the box if supplied.

jordan210

Having watched the no goal a few times. It does look like a a foul. But I think we got lucky the Lino gave it as ref wasn't going too.

Be annoyed If it was us but keepers do get a lot more protection so sliding in when a keeping is collecting the ball is aways going to be given.

On our goal this shows why we should shoot from distance more and follow up.

Gibbo

Finally got a second to post something.

Broke a 60 year record last night and left before 90 minutes, something I have never done before, in fact make a point of not doing so.

The game was pretty dire and both sides bang average. It has come to a pass when Wilson becomes our most influential midfielder, although I was not averse to us going long ball as the midfield was struggling to get through. Allen - Ayari - Eccles will get mullered by Norwich. I'd prefer a four man midfield and one up front, a role better suited to Wright than Simms

Who had quite good games? Wilson, Eccles, Lati (considering he was out of position) and Binks. Da Silva is superb going forward, the real 'go to' man, not so sure about his defence though

Not so good? Thomas always has an error in him, Ayari is too lightweight for now,

The others left no mark. Simms has it in him to be real trouble for defences at this level, however he does not seem to either have fast enough feet or be able to get his body into the right position to shoot

Skyblueweeman

Why and why do you care?
Because you've not got an ounce of positivity in your body - it must be draining.

I've genuinely never seen you post anything positive about winning. Happy for you to run the filters and prove me wrong.

I just don't get why you're so negative all the time and intent on calling people out when the place seems a bit happier/relieved.

fernandopartridge

I thought it was excellent at times, Hamer, Vik and Callum were class. We didn’t get where we did being toothless .
The only time we looked like we had a real attacking flow was the short period where O'Hare was fit, eg QPR and Swansea at home. That was only a 5th of the season at best, otherwise we were just very functional, which is fine tbh if it works.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Hertsccfc

Still looks to me like he should have gone to L1 for a season first.
But he'll be starting Saturday for sure so a chance to shine.
Agree with the League 1 coment. Not sure he starts Saturday. Allen back to no 10 for me, Saka rwb and Lati in place of Kelly.

Ayari did brilliantly for the goal. Great determination and shot but otherwise he looked out of his depth again.

edgy

He and Kitching scored 10 goals between them last season, we could really do with a contribution like that this season!

We need to address our currently horrendous set pieces. The corners are pathetic at the minute.

napolimp

I really think Godden looked a second rate forward last night, like Blackburn's defence were a level above him. Not a direct criticism of Godden, I think he's been great but just didn't contribute much last night - same as Saturday. I don't understand why Robin's won't take him off in games like that.

Wright appears to have become the forum punching bag, probably the same people who chant the Haji Wright song at the match. He actually looked good, the goal required perfect positioning and he held his nerve well - didn't just thrash at it. He looked good the rest of the time, but clearly requires game time and needs to get up to speed. Sometimes his decision making wasn't ideal. He looks like he can go past a player one on one with a combination of pace and strength, I think that would make him a possible candidate for one up front if ever required.

edgy

Having watched the no goal a few times. It does look like a a foul. But I think we got lucky the Lino gave it as ref wasn't going too.

Be annoyed If it was us but keepers do get a lot more protection so sliding in when a keeping is collecting the ball is aways going to be given.

I personally think the ref realised he'd cocked up by the reaction of the North Stand and the players. He then needed an escape plan, hence going to the lino. I doubt the lino added anything to the debate and they just made it look like he spotted something.

jordan210

Surprised there isn't some sort of Jeremy Simpson ref conspiracy theory from Blackburn fans. As he was the ref when Wilson scored.

ccfcricoh

yea i dont think Wilson was in control of the ball, but i do think he was fouled, so right end result.

The referee and linesman had absolutely no clue, they were appalling. The ref admitted he couldnt see it after, he didnt immediately award the goal or a free kick, then just let the players celebrate. started walking to half way line until a few cov players approached him. Lino cant have seen a foul either otherwise why didn't he flag? They literally just made it up....thankfully in our favour!

BlueSkiesForever

I really think Godden looked a second rate forward last night, like Blackburn's defence were a level above him. Not a direct criticism of Godden, I think he's been great but just didn't contribute much last night - same as Saturday. I don't understand why Robin's won't take him off in games like that.

Wright appears to have become the forum punching bag, probably the same people who chant the Haji Wright song at the match. He actually looked good, the goal required perfect positioning and he held his nerve well - didn't just thrash at it. He looked good the rest of the time, but clearly requires game time and needs to get up to speed. Sometimes his decision making wasn't ideal. He looks like he can go past a player one on one with a combination of pace and strength, I think that would make him a possible candidate for one up front if ever required.

100%. I’ve literally no idea why Godden has to play every minute of every game. He pressed a bit and looked like he was doing something but it wasn’t really getting us anywhere, just running around for the sake of it, Blackburn basically passed the ball around our front line with ease. I think Godden had one decent chance all game and maybe created a half-chance for Simms but that was literally it.
I just don’t see the absolute necessity for Godden to play every single minute of every single game, it’s not like he’s a world-beater, he should be having a rest in these mid-week games, 33 years old and had a few injuries in the past, I don’t know why Robins can’t bring him off for Wright and play Simms and Wright together for just 20 mins or so.

BlueSkiesForever

I’ve said it every week and people are naturally going to be sick of it but I’m convinced we need to look at using the box soon, just give it a try at least once ffs, it’s not like we’re winning 4-0 or 5-0 with the current 7 at the back approach. Yes a win is a win but we got proper lucky in that game, against a better opposition we won’t be so lucky. We have very little attack and our midfield gets crowded out almost every game, I seriously think an extra midfielder will help us control the game better.

edgy

He did, then Eccles took the next one from the same side 2 minutes later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Da Silva wont take many as he is usually left on the halfway line to cover the counter attack

steve101

A few things apparent to me with regards the Godden debate.
1. Despite being 10 and 7 years older, he works much harder
2. Despite being 6 inches shorter, he wins more aerial duals
3. In the shooting drill warmup, Godden buried every shot. Both Wright and Simms missed the target more than they scored. Godden is far more clinical.

The only thing I can see where Godden falls behind is pace.

Brighton Sky Blue

3. In the shooting drill warmup, Godden buried every shot. Both Wright and Simms missed the target more than they scored. Godden is far more clinical.

Even then, he made impressive ground late on to score against Watford.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

FFS, we've just won with an ugly victory.

Can't you for once just f*&king celebrate a win without the need to get into another petty squabble?

Exactly, he might grow up one day.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Because you've not got an ounce of positivity in your body - it must be draining.,
I've genuinely never seen you post anything positive about winning. Happy for you to run the filters and prove me wrong.

I just don't get why you're so negative all the time and intent on calling people out when the place seems a bit happier/relieved.

Yeah he's not the only one, reading these posts match post, moaning when we lose, moaning when we win.

shmmeee

Just to sprinkle some facts in. Godden has the lowest aerial duel win % of the three.

stupot07

Having seen the replay, I'm not convinced Wilson had the ball under control and we are lucky the linesman overruled the ref.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

CCFC54321

Anyone notice the Blackburn number 10 when had the ball looked like he was getting 1,000 bolts put through him with all the body shaking going on.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Can SBP on anyone explain why it took City players to get the ref to go and see the linesman. If they hadn't he would have let the wrong decision go.If he the ref. did not see it (where I sat the ref. had a clear view)The linesman had plenty of time to call him over and didn't why?

shepardo01

Wigan was a really poor game iirc, with just the outstanding goal from Gyokeres in about the 94th minute. West Brom was a 93rd minute penalty. Last night's game had at least as much entertainment/incident as either of those.
We still used to cut through the middle of teams and create clear cut chances.
Last two home games we haven't done that.
All chances and both goals have been from shots outside the area or set pieces, highlighting the lack of creativity in the midfield.
The atmosphere was so flat last night because we didn't really attack with any purpose. (Off the back of similar Vs Huddersfield)
The WBA game you mentioned - we created a lot of chances and their keeper was MOM.

Users who are viewing this thread