Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (16 Viewers)

shmmeee

Didn't say they shouldn't get free meals, I simply said if you can't afford to feed youre child you are doing something wrong.

Im not sure how that’s here or there. I’m not interesting in moralising, I just don’t want to see kids punished for their parents supposed crimes. Unless you’ve got the stones to attempt mass castration, once those kids are born they deserve as full a shot at life as anyone, regardless of how shit their parents are. So all the two minute single-mums-with-iPhones hate achieves is accidentally making it worse for those in genuine need while those you rant about crack on regardless (note how it’s moved on from “flat screen TVs” now you can’t buy any other sort, my ten year old has a fucking iPhone).

This “deserving poor” bollocks has been around as long as poverty has and it’s always a weaselly excuse for inaction. I’m so tired of hearing it come back, and as I say it’s always under the Tories that we suddenly discover this epidemic of laziness, wastefulness and bad parenting. Weird how it tracks exactly with poverty.

If you genuinely believe there’s parents out there spending cash on nails rather than feeding their kids then you should be campaigning for more funding for social services.

Brighton Sky Blue

Im not sure how that’s here or there. I’m not interesting in moralising, I just don’t want to see kids punished for their parents supposed crimes. Unless you’ve got the stones to attempt mass castration, once those kids are born they deserve as full a shot at life as anyone, regardless of how shit their parents are. So all the two minute single-mums-with-iPhones hate achieves is accidentally making it worse for those in genuine need while those you rant about crack on regardless (note how it’s moved on from “flat screen TVs” now you can’t buy any other sort, my ten year old has a fucking iPhone).

This “deserving poor” bollocks has been around as long as poverty has and it’s always a weaselly excuse for inaction. I’m so tired of hearing it come back, and as I say it’s always under the Tories that we suddenly discover this epidemic of laziness, wastefulness and bad parenting. Weird how it tracks exactly with poverty.

If you genuinely believe there’s parents out there spending cash on nails rather than feeding their kids then you should be campaigning for more funding for social services.

He's the new Dom

Kieranp96

There was a post in the paper the other day about a women complaining she couldn't feed her children, guess what she turned out to be a druggy, unfortunately there are selfish people out there who care about there own needs over there children's and belive it or not actual family members of mine probsky explains why I've lost 7 cousins to social services because there mums just couldn't look after children spending money on weed hair phones ect, so I've seen it 1st hand.

hill83

I’ll start this with I’ve had a beer.

I genuinely don’t give a fuck now. Since lockdown ended I’ve been to the pub at least 5 times a week. I’ve been there with friends and family. I’ve met my 90 year old grandad in the pub every weekend. My dad is high risk, he’s in the pub every day. My Uncle is high risk. Every day also. I’ve been smashing about on Tinder, I’ve been out in Cheltenham and Nottingham to name two for the ride. My 5 year old is back at school and currently on holiday in Cornwall with the ex wife. And there’s more “stories” that wouldn’t have meant anything last year.

I started it washing food deliveries in the sink. I’ve worked through the lot. I’m bored of it.

I’m not negating the seriousness of what’s going on. I’m just done with it. But saying that. I wear a mask and I wash my hands and try to distance myself from people a bit.

Last edited:

Jamesimus

Lets be honest if you can't afford to feed your child you're doing something incredibly wrong.

Ridiculously ignorant comment. Anyone can go through a bad patch, including yourself and I sincerely hope you never have to experience it, even if you might learn what empathy is.

Despite the fact in general kids aren't starving over here (at the moment...), often parents, many of which are classed as "working poor", are having to make daily 'choices' between stuff like paying their rent or their kids having lunch. It's important you recognise that it's not really a 'choice' and that the number of people classed as "working poor" has been on the rise for a while now.

fernandopartridge

I’ll start this with I’ve had a beer.

I genuinely don’t give a fuck now. Since lockdown ended I’ve been to the pub at least 5 times a week. I’ve been there with friends and family. I’ve met my 90 year old grandad in the pub every weekend. My dad is high risk, he’s in the pub every day. My Uncle is high risk. Every day also. I’ve been smashing about on Tinder, I’ve been out in Cheltenham and Nottingham to name two for the ride. My 5 year old is back at school and currently on holiday in Cornwall with the ex wife. And there’s more “stories” that wouldn’t have meant anything last year.

I started it washing food deliveries in the sink. I’ve worked through the lot. I’m bored of it.

I’m not negating the seriousness of what’s going on. I’m just done with it. But saying that. I wear a mask and I wash my hands and try to distance myself from people a bit.
Elaborate way to get in that you've shagged a couple of birds off tinder mate, show off

Sky Blue Pete

I love that trump and the deniers will ignore this and make things significantly worse

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Confirmed case in my office.

Email from the CEO this morning saying it is closed for deep cleaning and plans to open again on Monday.

A few of the directors haven't been sticking to the rotas and coming in every day anyway - I bet it is one of them.

They can get fucked if they think I am going in next week.

djr8369

I love that trump and the deniers will ignore this and make things significantly worse
Came on to post this. Good article.

djr8369

Confirmed case in my office.

Email from the CEO this morning saying it is closed for deep cleaning and plans to open again on Monday.

A few of the directors haven't been sticking to the rotas and coming in every day anyway - I bet it is one of them.

They can get fucked if they think I am going in next week.
I’ve noticed senior managers are immune too and so don’t have to follow measures. We should get them on the front line and off the emails.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I’ve noticed senior managers are immune too and so don’t have to follow measures. We should get them on the front line and off the emails.

We have two hot desks in the office and the policy is anyone that is only in the office one day a week (me for example), has to book a desk for their given days.

The sales manager who is supposed to be in 3 times per week is going in every single day, and when I arrived on Friday, was sitting at the desk that I booked. He just told me to go and sit on another desk.

I bet it is him who has the virus.

Sky Blue Pete

We have two hot desks in the office and the policy is anyone that is only in the office one day a week (me for example), has to book a desk for their given days.

The sales manager who is supposed to be in 3 times per week is going in every single day, and when I arrived on Friday, was sitting at the desk that I booked. He just told me to go and sit on another desk.

Where’s that?

NorthernWisdom

We're supposed to be bubbling, which would be great...if one of the managers didn't decide they wanted to cross each and every bubble to get involved.

I mean, in normal circumstance, a bit of enthusiasm would be great...

skybluetony176

R at 2.86 in London
The bit about shouting is interesting. Since our local reopened it’s regularly had live bands on and I’ve often thought that can’t be helpful. Having loads of drunk people in a close vicinity to each other talking to each other is one thing but changing the environment by adding live music and having everyone shout at each other clearly adds unnecessarily risk to the situation. Probably best to cancel music licenses for pubs.

clint van damme

If you want to keep transmitting the virus then sure.

I'm fairly sure one of the government advisors said moths ago that if you want to stop the virus spreading and keep schools open you need to shut everything else.
There was a post in the paper the other day about a women complaining she couldn't feed her children, guess what she turned out to be a druggy, unfortunately there are selfish people out there who care about there own needs over there children's and belive it or not actual family members of mine probsky explains why I've lost 7 cousins to social services because there mums just couldn't look after children spending money on weed hair phones ect, so I've seen it 1st hand.

it's quite simple:

kids are hungry because they're parents can't feed them through no fault of their own - society should feed them
kids are hungry because their parents are negligent - society should feed them

and if you don't agree don't moan when malnourished, feral kids turn into teenage menaces.

NorthernWisdom

I'm fairly sure one of the government advisors said moths ago that if you want to stop the virus spreading and keep schools open you need to shut everything else.

it's quite simple:

kids are hungry because they're parents can't feed them through no fault of their own - society should feed them
kids are hungry because their parents are negligent - society should feed them

and if you don't agree don't moan when malnourished, feral kids turn into teenage menaces.
You can't crush the first group for the failings of the second, either, anymore than you should confiscate everybody's assets because there are some tax avoiders in society.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Came on to post this. Good article.

Very interesting.......and certainly puts to bed the myth that hospitality is only a minor contributor.

From the behaviour & conditions I've consistently witnessed in bars, pubs & restaurants since the "eat out help out" summer, they should have probably closed the day the schools re-opened......

...assuming there was ever any intention to "balance" economy & health of course.

Sky Blue Pete

The first thing I thought was if this is correct then why do we not know and wtf was eat out to help out about and it’s pretty clear that it is part of why we are in this mess

Sky Blue Pete

Asymptomatic covid +ve doctors in Belgium being told to keep working in hospitals.......unbelievable & frightening.

If you know you are positive you can make sure you do everything to reduce your risk. The unintended consequence of this though may be not getting tested without symptoms and it spreading. It’s certainly the lesser of two evils (i think!!) I’m not certain

Brighton Sky Blue

If you know you are positive you can make sure you do everything to reduce your risk. The unintended consequence of this though may be not getting tested without symptoms and it spreading. It’s certainly the lesser of two evils (i think!!) I’m not certain

To be honest if you hazmatted the asymptomatic I don’t see the issue particularly as they would be ‘clear’ in a few weeks

chiefdave

Lets be honest if you can't afford to feed your child you're doing something incredibly wrong.
Even if you believe that to be true that is the fault of the parent not the child.
Exactly this, now who is that has spent years cutting funding for those services?
You get benifits if you work zero hours, child support including, but nowa days they probaly spend £30 on new nails rather than food.
I had a look at how much I would get on beneifts if I lost my job. I would be entitled to the maximum UC which is £409.89 a month, although UC is scheduled to get a large cut in April 2021. My mortgage is £560 a month. Struggle to believe a lot of people on benefits are living a life of luxury at the taxpayers expense.

Brighton Sky Blue

Even if you believe that to be true that is the fault of the parent not the child.

Exactly this, now who is that has spent years cutting funding for those services?

I had a look at how much I would get on beneifts if I lost my job. I would be entitled to the maximum UC which is £409.89 a month, although UC is scheduled to get a large cut in April 2021. My mortgage is £560 a month. Struggle to believe a lot of people on benefits are living a life of luxury at the taxpayers expense.

Nah he read about a junkie mum in the Express so everyone’s like that

chiefdave

Daily Mail front page pleading to not lockdown, it's only 85k dead old and vulnerable after all.
Someone forgot to tell the founder of Pret that he's not supposed to publicly say selling sandwiches is more important than people dying. Pret now desperately trying to distance themselves from his comments.
Society will not recover if we do it again to save a few thousand lives of very old or vulnerable people.

fernandopartridge

REACT survey reckons there are now 96k new cases a day (REACT includes asymptomatic cases) based on study of 86k people aged 5 or above, more than double the same study 3 weeks previously. With about 960k infected at any one day nationally.

The co-occurrence of high prevalence and rapid growth means that the second wave of the epidemic in England has now reached a critical stage. Whether via regional or national measures, it is now time-critical to control the virus and turn R below one if further hospital admissions and deaths from COVID-19 are to be avoided.

It's pretty difficult to see another full lockdown being avoided unless significant loss of life is accepted.

Brighton Sky Blue

REACT survey reckons there are now 96k new cases a day (REACT includes asymptomatic cases) based on study of 86k people aged 5 or above, more than double the same study 3 weeks previously. With about 960k infected at any one day nationally.

It's pretty difficult to see another full lockdown being avoided unless significant loss of life is accepted.

Do they give an estimate of asymptomatic %?

Sky Blue Pete

Hes
Someone forgot to tell the founder of Pret that he's not supposed to publicly say selling sandwiches is more important than people dying. Pret now desperately trying to distance themselves from his comments.
He’s only saying what most people who prioritise their economy are thinking but aren’t willing to come and say it. What on earth was eat out to help out if the science showed how the virus spread in those environments !!!

Kieranp96

You would get housing element then, that would cover probaly £350 ish of you're rent maybe more if married and misses also on dole + if you have any kids you get money for them. And this massive cut you mean the £20 a month that hardly anyone gets anyway. Not saying we shouldn't feed children and I do disagree with the free meals vote outcome but I'm simply saying if you can't afford to feed your child you've really got to fix yourself, there's food banks out there loads of charities all willing to help feed children,

chiefdave

If they were smart they’d have reorganised school terms with maybe slightly longer semesters and longer breaks. Invested in remote learning, ideally a National solution (whole bunch of with as little impact on teacher workload as possible and allow WFH where possible for students to reduce class sizes. Practical subjects in as BSB suggests with sensible precautions. Push exams back a couple of months and hope we can claw back F2F time in the summer.

Instead we’ve done... nothing.
This is the biggest frustration. Schools closed 23rd March, and that was after a lot of pressure.

We're now over 7 months later and no better prepared for a further school closure. There's no plan for if schools have to close, there's no national system of remote learning in place - nothing. Most things seem to have been left up to individual schools to organise as best they can with no additional funding.

Even if you accept 'nobody could have seen this coming', which is hugely debatable, as an excuse for the chaos back in March to still be in the same position now is inexcusable.

Users who are viewing this thread