Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (7 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Keep the main source of transmission open and ruin everything else enjoyable, great way to keep compliance
I thought at one stage we were quite far apart on opinion, but I now realise different ;)

I have to say, if the idea is act now to avoid worse consequence later (not an unreasonable strategy!) it seems bizarre to keep schools open in the 'normal' way, especially if people are being told not to work!

If you have to go into an empty office to work, or stay at home for your kids to come back at 3pm and run around you, what's more of a threat to you? It also seems to consider teachers as, well... expendable, which causes issues in the future for the profession, and quality of education.

ffs, in times like this, surely they just *have* to be flexible with timetables, holidays, and the like, and be prepared to move things around to compensate? And actually come up with a proper plan for either proper distanced, and/or remote learning.

Muddling around strikes me what we'll end up with is shutting everything down just as, well, exam build-up should be starting!

Brighton Sky Blue

I thought at one stage we were quite far apart on opinion, but I now realise different ;)

I have to say, if the idea is act now to avoid worse consequence later (not an unreasonable strategy!) it seems bizarre to keep schools open in the 'normal' way, especially if people are being told not to work!

If you have to go into an empty office to work, or stay at home for your kids to come back at 3pm and run around you, what's more of a threat to you? It also seems to consider teachers as, well... expendable, which causes issues in the future for the profession, and quality of education.

ffs, in times like this, surely they just *have* to be flexible with timetables, holidays, and the like, and be prepared to move things around to compensate? And actually come up with a proper plan for either proper distanced, and/or remote learning.

Muddling around strikes me what we'll end up with is shutting everything down just as, well, exam build-up should be starting!

We had a term of trying to teach remotely, and students had a term of learning that way. We also should have ensured that all without a device or WiFi now have access. It would be shit for me but I could fully understand having to do it that way for whatever length of time was needed because the evidence supports it. I took the flu jab because I know I'm going to get at least that or COVID if not both and I don't want that comorbidity

NorthernWisdom

We had a term of trying to teach remotely, and students had a term of learning that way. We also should have ensured that all without a device or WiFi now have access. It would be shit for me but I could fully understand having to do it that way for whatever length of time was needed because the evidence supports it. I took the flu jab because I know I'm going to get at least that or COVID if not both and I don't want that comorbidity
Well that's exactly it. There's also an argument that if you're sending parents back to work, then the schools have to be open but... as soon as you cut one, it's utterly bonkers not to cut the other.

As you say, there was a term of teaching remotely and while not great, by definition such things get better, the more practice there is at such things and, for that matter, with more notice about the need to do it that way. Had the summer been on notice that teaching would be remote, teachers would have had time to plan.

It's not just national government that would have had to supply devices either. Many councils have schemes where their old laptops get supplied to charities - Coventry does! So tap into them, tap into companies such as IBM for their old stock (think of the great publicity they'd get etc.) and try and limit how much government has to spend, by actually planning to spread the load with some kind of plan, where what government ends up doing is underwriting any shortfall, rather than committing to it all from the off.

But of course we go it alone with grand plans, then row back when we realise the cost, and don't think about the damage of shuffling from one issue to another, without trying to look at the wider picture. This could actually have been an opportunity to level up society, offer opportunity to children who wouldn't have it in traditional ways of doing things.

And *if* rumours about a vaccine actually being on the horizon, then a temporary stay on children going in seems so much more sensible, if it's a relatively short spell of their lives, and not indeterminate.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well that's exactly it. There's also an argument that if you're sending parents back to work, then the schools have to be open but... as soon as you cut one, it's utterly bonkers not to cut the other.

As you say, there was a term of teaching remotely and while not great, by definition such things get better, the more practice there is at such things and, for that matter, with more notice about the need to do it that way. Had the summer been on notice that teaching would be remote, teachers would have had time to plan.

It's not just national government that would have had to supply devices either. Many councils have schemes where their old laptops get supplied to charities - Coventry does! So tap into them, tap into companies such as IBM for their old stock (think of the great publicity they'd get etc.) and try and limit how much government has to spend, by actually planning to spread the load with some kind of plan, where what government ends up doing is underwriting any shortfall, rather than committing to it all from the off.

But of course we go it alone with grand plans, then row back when we realise the cost, and don't think about the damage of shuffling from one issue to another, without trying to look at the wider picture. This could actually have been an opportunity to level up society, offer opportunity to children who wouldn't have it in traditional ways of doing things.

And *if* rumours about a vaccine actually being on the horizon, then a temporary stay on children going in seems so much more sensible, if it's a relatively short spell of their lives, and not indeterminate.

As I've also said before, I can't do practicals so the learning is crap either way. Either say schools don't contribute and let me teach normally, or admit they contribute more than most other places and close them for a while. Particularly as flu and cold are about to enter their high season

NorthernWisdom

As I've also said before, I can't do practicals so the learning is crap either way. Either say schools don't contribute and let me teach normally, or admit they contribute more than most other places and close them for a while. Particularly as flu and cold are about to enter their high season
Ah, flu... that's another thing where some joined up thinking would have been helpful. Obvious there'd be a run on the vaccine this year, so adjust opening times for school and business to give people a fighting chance of being vaccinated. I've been... 'lucky' that because Mrs Wisdom is asthmatic, and expected to go into a high risk area, Boots eventually honoured our bookings (at the third time of asking!) but that took a lot of persuasion! I accept supplies are short, but it was obvious supplies would be short!

If they want to protect the NHS, sorting that out would have been particularly helpful!

Brighton Sky Blue

Ah, flu... that's another thing where some joined up thinking would have been helpful. Obvious there'd be a run on the vaccine this year, so adjust opening times for school and business to give people a fighting chance of being vaccinated. I've been... 'lucky' that because Mrs Wisdom is asthmatic, and expected to go into a high risk area, Boots eventually honoured our bookings (at the third time of asking!) but that took a lot of persuasion! I accept supplies are short, but it was obvious supplies would be short!

If they want to protect the NHS, sorting that out would have been particularly helpful!

As said before, flu/COVID combination seems to be quite nasty. Though at least flu always causes symptoms so those with it can just stay home as soon as they realise

NorthernWisdom

As said before, flu/COVID combination seems to be quite nasty. Though at least flu always causes symptoms so those with it can just stay home as soon as they realise
They can... but that again makes issues with trying to keep things open as 'normal'. I genuinely wonder if we'll be able to stay open over the winter, because as soon as anybody shows *any* symptoms of anything remotely Covid / flu-like (let's not forget, the flu vaccine doesn't eliminate the possibility of getting flu in entirety) then they'll have to be off. Once you factor in children being off with similar / classes closed because of Covid cases, I genuinely woner if we'll have the staff numbers to keep the doors open.

Brighton Sky Blue

They can... but that again makes issues with trying to keep things open as 'normal'. I genuinely wonder if we'll be able to stay open over the winter, because as soon as anybody shows *any* symptoms of anything remotely Covid / flu-like (let's not forget, the flu vaccine doesn't eliminate the possibility of getting flu in entirety) then they'll have to be off. Once you factor in children being off with similar / classes closed because of Covid cases, I genuinely woner if we'll have the staff numbers to keep the doors open.

They never asked teachers about the return to school, they won't ask us about any remote learning at all. Glorified babysitters keeping the national creche open

djr8369

How well do people think China are doing? Their figures are too good to be true and we’d assume are significantly massaged. But the economic data all looks good so the economy seems to be doing fine. This leads me to think the reality there can’t be that bad as people just wouldn’t have the confidence to go about their business and buy goods etc if they believed the virus was still circulating and family members kept getting ill.

fernandopartridge

How well do people think China are doing? Their figures are too good to be true and we’d assume are significantly massaged. But the economic data all looks good so the economy seems to be doing fine. This leads me to think the reality there can’t be that bad as people just wouldn’t have the confidence to go about their business and buy goods etc if they believed the virus was still circulating and family members kept getting ill.
Assumes that the conditions in the economy are such that people have choice

Saddlebrains

Personally, and im not usually a big fan of conspiracies, i feel that if there is a silver bullet vaccine, them fuckers have got it and used it.

Absolutely unbelievable how life there is as if nothing ever happened

shmmeee

Personally, and im not usually a big fan of conspiracies, i feel that if there is a silver bullet vaccine, them fuckers have got it and used it.

Theyd also have no qualms about trying a bunch of unproven vaccines on a bunch of people regardless of side effects.

An aside: One conspiracy I never buy is “X has secret tech”, if you look at the history of invention the same tech is invented independently in multiple places around the same time as everyone is building on the same discoveries. You might get new tech a year or two ahead of others but generally it won’t last.

clint van damme

who told you life there is as nothing ever happened?
They've got covid restrictions in place same as every one else.

djr8369

No conspiracy, China are a dictatorship who can exert influence like few other countries, to contain their people and push them in whatever direction the state wants.
Yeah my suspicion is they do have it under control, or at least relatively so. The options they have and lengths they are willing to are way beyond anywhere else.

chiefdave

If, and given the reliability of data coming out of China its a huge if, they have it relatively under the control the most obvious reason is then have a population that does what its told. Mainly because they mysteriously disappear if they don't.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah my suspicion is they do have it under control, or at least relatively so. The options they have and lengths they are willing to are way beyond anywhere else.
Not saying they won't manipulate the statistics either, but their control would be far more draconian and squash it far sooner than even the harshest of Boris Johnson critics would be happy with us doing.

LastGarrison

Both still keeping schools open for some reason
Lancaster Leipzig University have just moved all of their teaching online as the number of Covid cases has moved above 35 per 100,000 in the last 7 days and they won't return to hybrid teaching until the city of Leipzig has stayed below the figure of 35 new cases per day for 3 consecutive days:

I'm sure the Cannon Park/University area is currently on just below 2000 cases per 100,000.

Brighton Sky Blue

Lancaster Leipzig University have just moved all of their teaching online as the number of Covid cases has moved above 35 per 100,000 in the last 7 days and they won't return to hybrid teaching until the city of Leipzig has stayed below the figure of 35 new cases per day for 3 consecutive days:

I'm sure the Cannon Park/University area is currently on just below 2000 cases per 100,000.

Universities should be open for practical subjects only, as should schools

CCFCSteve

Universities should be open for practical subjects only, as should schools

Certainly doing that in unis and secondary schools would make sense in high transmission areas. It’s the same all over Europe though. France and Germany are currently announcing new, tighter ‘lockdowns’ but leaving schools open I think

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Certainly unis and secondary schools would make sense. It’s the same all over Europe though. France and Germany are currently announcing new, tighter ‘lockdowns’ but leaving schools open I think

They are and I think they're wrong on that as well unless they have different data

Users who are viewing this thread