2-year old killed in hit-and-run, McDonald Road (1 Viewer)

Johnnythespider

I have a feeling whoever is proven to be the passenger may well get off lightly
This is what I was thinking, not sure how sitting in the passenger seat makes you guilty of death by dangerous driving, and playing devils advocate as there is no alcohol related charge the driver might not be as severely punished as some are expecting. I've seen some of the stuff on the woman's Facebook page and she certainly isn't someone you'd take home to meet your mum, but telling her daughter she should stand in a road and wait to be knocked down is pretty bad.

Grendel

This is what I was thinking, not sure how sitting in the passenger seat makes you guilty of death by dangerous driving, and playing devils advocate as there is no alcohol related charge the driver might not be as severely punished as some are expecting. I've seen some of the stuff on the woman's Facebook page and she certainly isn't someone you'd take home to meet your mum, but telling her daughter she should stand in a road and wait to be knocked down is pretty bad.

The driver was banned and had no insurance so they will get a fairly stiff sentence.

Nick

Administrator
Death by dangerous driving Sentences - Causing death by dangerous driving - Wikipedia

A person convicted of causing death by dangerous driving is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.[2] Disqualification for a minimum of two years is obligatory on conviction.[3] Endorsement is obligatory on conviction.[4] The offence carries three to eleven penalty points (when the defendant is exceptionally not disqualified).[5]

The Court of Appeal in R v Cooksley and others[6] gave guidelines for cases where death is caused by dangerous driving. In R v Richardson[7] the Court of Appeal reassessed the starting point set out in R v Cooksley taking into consideration the increase in the maximum penalty. The relevant starting points identified in Cooksley should be reassessed as follows:

i) No aggravating circumstances – twelve months to two years' imprisonment (previously 18 months);
ii) Intermediate culpability - two to four and a half years' imprisonment (previously 3 years);
iii) Higher culpability – four and a half to seven years' imprisonment (previously 5 years);
iv) Most serious culpability – seven to fourteen years' imprisonment (previous starting point of 6 years).

Grendel

The Lee Hughes case was no worse than this in reality - his sentence was very small

Captain Dart

I have a feeling whoever is proven to be the passenger may well get off lightly
Pound to a penny they blame each other.

Captain Dart

The Lee Hughes case was no worse than this in reality - his sentence was very small
I bet Hughes had a good lawyer and was advised well.
This chap does not have the intellect or sense to do anything but aggravate the situation.
* and I hope his bad attitude serves to maximise his sentence.

clint van damme

I bet Hughes had a good lawyer and was advised well.
This chap does not have the intellect or sense to do anything but aggravate the situation.
* and I hope his bad attitude serves to maximise his sentence.

Yep. His behaviour in court the other day will have been noted.

LastGarrison

Went to see my Old Man today and walked past the spot a couple of times and it was heartbreaking.

Lots of people pulling up and paying their respects and leaving flowers, teddies etc. and there is a picture hanging on the tree depicting two boys holding hands and walking away, have to admit I was close to shedding a tear...

shmmeee

Indeed. Found a lot of the reaction crass.

I hate the “are you a parent?” Card, but I’m gonna pull it. Since I became one the visceral reaction to stories like this is something else. I wouldn’t blame anyone who has kids of a similar age for wanting blood TBF.

Of course, that’s why we have a justice system. People close to the incident don’t think straight.

hill83

I hate the “are you a parent?” Card, but I’m gonna pull it. Since I became one the visceral reaction to stories like this is something else. I wouldn’t blame anyone who has kids of a similar age for wanting blood TBF.

Of course, that’s why we have a justice system. People close to the incident don’t think straight.

The "are you a parent card" definitely works. I would have seen this before I had a child and thought it's a shame etc, but having a 2 year old myself and living nearby it's got to me way more than I thought something like this would.

But 'wanting blood' etc, not for me. All this "lock me in a room with them and see what I'll do" is not for me. Letting the criminal justice system do it's work is the right way to respond.

clint van damme

what, the blood of someone who wasn't responsible? And we're not talking about people close to the incident, we're talking about the Facebook mob.

shmmeee

what, the blood of someone who wasn't responsible? And we're not talking about people close to the incident, we're talking about the Facebook mob.

Sorry by close I meant could have an emotional connection. Not that they knew the people involved.

And sorry I’m lost about the “who wasn’t responsible” bit. Maybe I’ve misunderstood.

Covstu

To be honest as a parent of two kids of similar age, I just dread to think of this scenario and found the whole thing heartbreaking. I don't want 'blood' on this basis as the courts (and probably people in prison) will take its toll on this one. I might feel differently if I was in the families shoes however but I could say for sure and don't want to even think about that.
I cannot stand the Facebook mob mentality on things like this, everyone is disgusted, wants to kill people or related family, I have seen three different petitions already but none of these people would physically go and do anything if it didn't mean getting off their arse or off their iphone but I guess that's a sad inditement of modern society...

clint van damme

Sorry by close I meant could have an emotional connection. Not that they knew the people involved.

And sorry I’m lost about the “who wasn’t responsible” bit. Maybe I’ve misunderstood.

the estranged daughter of the woman has received death threats to her and her child. That's what I was referring to, think we may have had our wires crossed.

shmmeee

the estranged daughter of the woman has received death threats to her and her child. That's what I was referring to, think we may have had our wires crossed.

Oh shit sorry. Didn’t realise that, I thought we were talking about people saying the driver should be strung up.

No that’s beyond the pale. Not on at all.

wingy

Was feeling really emotional again reading of the memorial service the other day.
aren't these two meant to have appeared in court via video today?
Can't find anything in the media.

Nick

Administrator
She is just charged with assault with intent to resist arrest and think attempting to pervert the course of justice has been dropped. Unless she has loads of previous, is she likely to get sent down for that?

Remanded in custody now, so will probably be time served.

chiefdave

She is just charged with assault with intent to resist arrest and think attempting to pervert the course of justice has been dropped. Unless she has loads of previous, is she likely to get sent down for that?

Remanded in custody now, so will probably be time served.
Guess they've got to go with the charges that will get a result. Unfortunately as she wasn't driving there's not much else they can charge her with.

What's the sentencing guidelines, he'll be looking at life won't he? Imagine he won't have a cushy time inside when the other inmates find out what he's done. Imagine there will be a guard or two happy to turn a blind eye.

Users who are viewing this thread