2-year old killed in hit-and-run, McDonald Road (1 Viewer)

oucho

Same, I will have a shandy at the very most rarely but still feel a bit uncomfortable so don't tend to unless I'm not driving for a good while after.

It's just not worth it, what's the point in just having one and what's the point in risking it?

It would be easier to just make the law no alcohol at all.

I'm the same as you. I have a "no booze" rule but will occasionally break it to have a pint. But on the basis of this news yesterday I think it's time to observe the rule 100%.

stupot07

I have a zero booze rule when driving, I also try to stick to the speed limit much to the annoyance and 99% of fellow drivers.

Is drink driving been confirmed or is it just speculation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

oucho

Is drink driving been confirmed or is it just speculation?
Arrested on suspicion of drink driving. Not confirmed so far. I suppose it isn't confirm-able until the trial where they'll be found guilty or not (assuming they're charged and arraigned).

Otis

Arrested on suspicion of drink driving. Not confirmed so far. I suppose it isn't confirm-able until the trial where they'll be found guilty or not (assuming they're charged and arraigned).
Is that correct? Just that the CT have them down as arrested on 'suspicion of dangerous driving.'

Otis

Is that correct? Just that the CT have them down as arrested on 'suspicion of dangerous driving.'
Just looked and Sky had said drink driving and I don't quite trust Sky, but anyway, the BBC are saying the same, 'dangerous and drink driving.'

stupot07

Yeah that's what I'd seen but after oucho said, I've checked BBC and sky.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

oucho

I understand the mum is critically ill as she was also hit, this may explain some of the damage to the car.
Fuck, wouldn't like to be in the room when/if she wakes up back into consciousness and then someone explains to her that her two sons have been killed.

if it's proven to be what's reported, could this be classed as manslaughter?

Otis

I was down Longfellow Road only a couple of weeks ago. Had to keep going to Caludon Castle school.

Any road where I see cars parked on both sides in residential areas, I always try and stick to the 30 limit. I do pretty much always stick to limits anyway, give or take a couple of MPH (32-33 in a 30 zone, up to about 44 in a 40 zone etc.)

My wife says I am too cautious, but I have been driving now for nearly 40 years and have never ever had an accident.

See crazy driving every single day without fail and I just let them get on with it and overtake, or undertake (happens a lot), swerve etc.

If I am going say 33, I'm not going to speed up because someone is right on my tail in a 30mph residential zone.

The other day I was going about 25-28 on Sadler Road (the stretch between Keresley Road and Wallace/Bruce road roundabout). There's a bend there near Best One and always cars parked on both sides of the road, so you pretty much have to go a bit slower (you HAVE to, but people don't and a few times I have had to slam on my brakes when people are going about 40 from the other direction). It's quite a narrow pass too from wing mirror to wing mirror.

Anyway, was coming up to the bend and slowed down to just about 24-25 and a car behind me suddenly shot out and decided to overtake me at high speed. It's a complete blind spot, until you come into the bend.

Immediately he pulled out there was a car coming from the opposite direction and he had to pull back in behind me.

This was peak hours too, so pretty much regular traffic in both directions.

The dumbness of some drivers baffles me.

Johnnythespider

People tank it down that road as it’s wide and pretty straight. I’ve seen people doing at least 60 several times. As much as I don’t like them it needs speed bumps. All it’s got at the moment is a electric sign that says when you are doing over 30.
It's not just that road though Hill, I was turning left out of McCauley rd on my way to work a couple of weeks back, i was halfway out and was confronted by some twat overtaking two cars on Hipswell, I closed my eyes and waited for impact, fuck knows how he missed me he must have been doing at least 50 in a 30 zone.

clint van damme

I was down Longfellow Road only a couple of weeks ago. Had to keep going to Caludon Castle school.

Any road where I see cars parked on both sides in residential areas, I always try and stick to the 30 limit. I do pretty much always stick to limits anyway, give or take a couple of MPH (32-33 in a 30 zone, up to about 44 in a 40 zone etc.)

My wife says I am too cautious, but I have been driving now for nearly 40 years and have never ever had an accident.

See crazy driving every single day without fail and I just let them get on with it and overtake, or undertake (happens a lot), swerve etc.

If I am going say 33, I'm not going to speed up because someone is right on my tail in a 30mph residential zone.

The other day I was going about 25-28 on Sadler Road (the stretch between Keresley Road and Wallace/Bruce road roundabout). There's a bend there near Best One and always cars parked on both sides of the road, so you pretty much have to go a bit slower (you HAVE to, but people don't and a few times I have had to slam on my brakes when people are going about 40 from the other direction). It's quite a narrow pass too from wing mirror to wing mirror.

Anyway, was coming up to the bend and slowed down to just about 24-25 and a car behind me suddenly shot out and decided to overtake me at high speed. It's a complete blind spot, until you come into the bend.

Immediately he pulled out there was a car coming from the opposite direction and he had to pull back in behind me.

This was peak hours too, so pretty much regular traffic in both directions.

The dumbness of some drivers baffles me.

going at 25MPH instead of 25 can be the difference between someone, (particularly a child), surviving or not if you hit them. It's a sobering thought.

edit: that should say 25 instead of 27MPH.

Last edited:

wingy

going at 25MPH instead of 25 can be the difference between someone, (particularly a child), surviving or not if you hit them. It's a sobering thought.
I always Try to do this now, reduce my speed by 5MPH below whatever the prescribed anywhere built up or poor visibility ,parked cars etc.

ajsccfc

I didn't hear about this until this morning, I didn't realise it was so close to home. Was the car coming down Longfellow Road or McDonald? With the former you really see people tearing down the road at times. The photos to accompany it are horrible, particularly the kid's toy smashed to pieces. The only tiny good thing to read is that the scumbags who tried to escape were quickly restrained by members of the public, who showed remarkable restraint in just keeping them captive by the sounds of it.

Another one here for the drink drive limit to be absolute zero.

fernandopartridge

I didn't hear about this until this morning, I didn't realise it was so close to home. Was the car coming down Longfellow Road or McDonald? With the former you really see people tearing down the road at times. The photos to accompany it are horrible, particularly the kid's toy smashed to pieces. The only tiny good thing to read is that the scumbags who tried to escape were quickly restrained by members of the public, who showed remarkable restraint in just keeping them captive by the sounds of it.

They've not said but it sounds to me a bit like the car has come down MacDonald Road and turned left into Longfellow Rd, although I may be completely wrong. Cars do go quickly down Longfellow Rd.

In general, people treat the roads through Wyken like a racetrack, Ansty Road has had a fair few tragedies caused by wreckless, mindless scumbags as well.

R.I.P. to the little boys and condolences to their parents

Nick

Administrator
Didn't know members of the public grabbed them until the police got there, I guess they should count themselves lucky the police arrived before somebody who wouldn't be restrained saw them.

Johnnythespider

Looking at the skid marks on Longfellow I think the car was travelling down Longfellow towards Hipswell.
The skid marks are just past the Painted Lady

Nick

Administrator
It's weird that not only was it so close by, but so recent as well. Not even a day ago all of the lives involved were completely different to now, I have trouble getting my head around things like this.

I can usually brush off news stories about people dying but when it's things like this it really does get you thinking imagine if we walked to the park one day and somebody was drunk and driving silly and just smashed into us / children. It's not as if there was an illness where it is sort of to be expected that death would happen, it's just a split second and everything changes :(

LastGarrison

Just logged into Facebook and people are posting photos of the two arrested saying they were drinking in the Lady beforehand.

Both raving smack heads and the guy I actually know who he is. Growing up he was one of the 'older lot' and loads of em turned into smack heads.

Fucking scum bag c**t, hope he gets banged up for a long, long time.

fernandopartridge

Just logged into Facebook and people are posting photos of the two arrested saying they were drinking in the Lady beforehand.

Both raving smack heads and the guy I actually know who he is. Growing up he was one of the 'older lot' and loads of em turned into smack heads.

I said it'd be a pair of smack rats to my mate.

Nick

Administrator

And gets a nice reception.

Covstu

Yes just seen the pictures of them on Facebook. Apparently were in the painted lady and drove back to the flat. Alleged drug and alcohol users

Nick

Administrator
I guess they will be named as soon as they are charged, best not to jump in just in case.

They just need to prove who was driving I guess if they blame each other :(

Otis

I guess they will be named as soon as they are charged, best not to jump in just in case.

They just need to prove who was driving I guess if they blame each other :(
Hopefully some property round there will have CCTV. Pub should have it too, which should show if they came out the pub and got into their car.

Nick

Administrator
Hopefully some property round there will have CCTV. Pub should have it too, which should show if they came out the pub and got into their car.

How far away from the pub was it?

Also the amount of dashcams people have now, might throw up something.

wingy

How far away from the pub was it?

Also the amount of dashcams people have now, might throw up something.
It's about 300 yards Nick.
One witness reckons they were doing a in the region of Motorway speeds

Users who are viewing this thread