2-year old killed in hit-and-run, McDonald Road (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
It doesn't make sense. How would they have got to that speed if they'd parked in the car park?

Thats what I was thinking when I saw they were in there.

The car had a pretty big dent and the airbags went off so it would have been some impact. Maybe they went to the shop or somewhere else before coming back?

wingy

Are we getting into territory here where a Landlord is at least morally culpable when serving someone they're aware is driving?

LastGarrison

They didn't necessarily have to have been parked in the car park though, which is very small.

And personally if I was drink driving and bang on the gear I don't think I would park in the pub car park either and then drive out.

Have to admit I saw the girls name mentioned elsewhere and it ties in what I have saw on FB and the bloke in question is quite well known around Wyken and certainly people in the Lady would have knew who he is.

Either way it will all come out soon enough.

Nick

Administrator
Are we getting into territory here where a Landlord is at least morally culpable when serving someone they're aware is driving?

Always wondered about that, if they know somebody is going to go outside and drive they have to have a bit of common sense. If it's a local they know is terrible for it they can stop them, I remember the landlord of the local used to refuse to serve unless certain people gave him their keys until the next day.

If it's a busy pub though that isn't really full of locals and the car park isn't in view I'm not sure how they could police it.

LastGarrison

Always wondered about that, if they know somebody is going to go outside and drive they have to have a bit of common sense. If it's a local they know is terrible for it they can stop them, I remember the landlord of the local used to refuse to serve unless certain people gave him their keys until the next day.

If it's a busy pub though that isn't really full of locals and the car park isn't in view I'm not sure how they could police it.
If they didn't park anywhere near the pub how would they even know? Plus, I have driven to the pub many times ans then just left my car in the car park so how would you then know they were going to get in it as they left unless they physically followed them out of the pub.

I don't think any Landlord could be found culpable IMO unless they specifically knew or lent them their car etc.

Nick

Administrator
If they didn't park anywhere near the pub how would they even know? Plus, I have driven to the pub many times ans then just left my car in the car park so how would you then know they were going to get in it as they left unless they physically followed them out of the pub.

I don't think any Landlord could be found culpable IMO unless they specifically knew or lent them their car etc.

Think that's why it's tricky, unless the landlord knew who they were and knew full well they were going to drive home. Even so, there's no proof of that to hold them responsible so it's more a conscience thing the landlord will have to deal with.*

*That's if they knew full well they were going to drive home pissed off the beer they just sold them.

fernandopartridge

They didn't necessarily have to have been parked in the car park though, which is very small.

And personally if I was drink driving and bang on the gear I don't think I would park in the pub car park either and then drive out.

Have to admit I saw the girls name mentioned elsewhere and it ties in what I have saw on FB and the bloke in question is quite well known around Wyken and certainly people in the Lady would have knew who he is.

Either way it will all come out soon enough.

I recognise his face, never seen her before though

Marty

Firstly, RIP to the victims, absolute tragedy. Scumbags who done it are arseholes. Fully deserve what they get.

I'm not sure the drink drive limit should be zero. You could go out, have a couple of pints with a meal and be completely fine, but be over the limit. I think it's fine as it is now. You need a little margin for people to be able to enjoy themselves.

I don't drink and only have 1 or 2, it doesn't make sense to me, if I'm drinking I'm doing it to get pissed so wouldn't have a car with me anyway.

bringbackrattles

This Christmas a bloke I know just in the pub, had been to work and had broken up early so went to the pub and had drank several pints. But instead of going home he decided to drive two miles to the pub I was drinking in. I said best leave your car here and pick it up the next day, but he sank about 4 pints and said he'll be fine,and he was wobbling and slurring etc. I managed to talk him out of driving and basically told him he'd be grateful the next day. I got a text off him a few days later thanking me as he was pissed and in no state to drive. For all I know I could have saved his life and others ?

Johnnythespider

Just seen cctv of the car going past one of the shops on the corner of Morris Ave and Longfellow rd, definitely speeding I'm sure the police will be able to work out how quickly with this footage. I think average speed cameras are the way to go, more effective than speed bumps to my mind.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Agree 100% with that. I hardly drink these days but whenever I let people know I don't drink and drive at all, I always end up being told "you can have a couple" and it seems to wind people up when I don't.
Same here SB. Why do people think you're some sort of saint because you don't want to drink and drive? Annoys the shit out of me when someone says "You'll be alright with just one." No! If I'm driving anywhere, I won't have even half a shandy because it has alcohol in it. Sorry guys, but I'm the sort that believes in absolute ZERO alcohol behind the wheel. And I would gladly shop ANYONE who I know has been drinking , over the limit and wants to drive! I wouldn't call that being a "grass". I'd call it possibly saving an innocent person's life!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Firstly, RIP to the victims, absolute tragedy. Scumbags who done it are arseholes. Fully deserve what they get.

I'm not sure the drink drive limit should be zero. You could go out, have a couple of pints with a meal and be completely fine, but be over the limit. I think it's fine as it is now. You need a little margin for people to be able to enjoy themselves.

I don't drink and only have 1 or 2, it doesn't make sense to me, if I'm drinking I'm doing it to get pissed so wouldn't have a car with me anyway.
I can enjoy an evening out and drink coke or similar. When I don't drive, THAT'S when I can let my hair down a bit, so zero tolerance for me!

lifeskyblue

I’m happy not to drink when I go out. I don’t need to have a drink to enjoy a night out and the older I get the less I seem to drink. Even when I do have a drink I have a rule that I won’t drive for at least 10hours. So if I do have a pint in a pub or a whiskey at home and finish it at midnight I don’t get in the car till at least 10am next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

When I have a skinful I can barely walk let alone drive !
But I have had some run ins with taxi drivers, as they charge far too much for a short trip. But I've seen blokes and women who drive just a few hundred yards to the pub when it's just a five minute walk. Crazy.

Marty

I can enjoy an evening out and drink coke or similar. When I don't drive, THAT'S when I can let my hair down a bit, so zero tolerance for me!

Zero tolerance isn't the answer for me, It's a tragic even that would have happened if the limit was 0 or 20 units. You need a margin for the people who have a drink on a Friday night then go out shopping with the missus on the Saturday afternoon, etc. They'll still have it in their system. Last time I had a drink was when I was on holiday about 6 months ago, so I have no vested interest.

hill83

Zero tolerance isn't the answer for me, It's a tragic even that would have happened if the limit was 0 or 20 units. You need a margin for the people who have a drink on a Friday night then go out shopping with the missus on the Saturday afternoon, etc. They'll still have it in their system. Last time I had a drink was when I was on holiday about 6 months ago, so I have no vested interest.

Disagree. If I’ve got something on where I need to drive I don’t drink the day before. And I have a massively vested interest as I love a beer. If it’s still in your system it’s in your system and it can and will impair your driving. The day after makes no difference whatsoever as far as I’m concerned.

Plus if the mrs is that desperate to go shopping she can drive. I’m sure the police will understand if they explain they had to go shopping though.

Sick Boy

It's refreshing to see some of the posts on here, and while I think the country in general has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol overall, we probably are one of the most conscious when it comes to drinking and driving.

hill83

It's refreshing to see some of the posts on here, and while I think the country in general has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol overall, we probably are one of the most conscious when it comes to drinking and driving.

I know from hearing stories that my dads generation it was the done thing. Was there some sort of push to make it be seen as a bad thing to do? None of my friends would even consider it.
Older people at work and in the pub etc it’s seen as a bit of a giggle. “LOL drove home pissed last night” where as everyone around my age that I know you’d get slated. Anecdotal evidence but still interesting.

fernandopartridge

Road safety in general I would say

Kingokings204

Was this bloke actually drunk or was he just speeding as I seen he was charged with death by dangerous driving? No under the influence mentioned but I may of missed it.

And absolutely agree the legal limit should be zero. No confusion that way and very simple to understand. What’s the point of having 1 pint anyway.

ajsccfc

You need a margin for the people who have a drink on a Friday night then go out shopping with the missus on the Saturday afternoon, etc. They'll still have it in their system.

Not sure why they'd need to be catered for really. If the limit is set at none, everyone will know that driving the day after is a no-go and you won't have anyone mistakenly thinking that just a sleep is all they need.

When the same measure of alcohol can have differing effects on different people, it seems odd to allow it at all.

duffer

I'd have to say that I'm not in favour of a zero limit. I don't see the harm in a pint at lunchtime, for instance, and driving afterwards. I don't do it often, but I have and I will again.

I've done a lot of miles over the years, used to get paid to drive back in the day, and biggest danger I see is from the sheer recklessness of being too lazy or impatient to maintain safe speeds and distances, and drivers being focussed on anything but the road ahead.

On Monday morning on my commute to work, I'll guarantee three things. I'll see a good few drivers dicking about with their phones, I'll have someone three foot off my arse at some point at 70mph, and because it's frosty there'll be a lot of people who won't have cleaned their screens or other windows adequately.

Then there's all the other stuff that makes it a little bit more dangerous, people running with a headlight out, with misaligned lights, with a Satnav stuck right in their line of sight, with the tyre pressures they've not checked for weeks and/or with bugger all tread.

It's laudable that so many are so strong on avoiding alcohol before driving, absolutely fair play to you for it. However there's a lot more to driving safely than that, imho. And I say this as someone who is a long, long way from being perfect...

Sick Boy

I know from hearing stories that my dads generation it was the done thing. Was there some sort of push to make it be seen as a bad thing to do? None of my friends would even consider it.
Older people at work and in the pub etc it’s seen as a bit of a giggle. “LOL drove home pissed last night” where as everyone around my age that I know you’d get slated. Anecdotal evidence but still interesting.

I'm your age, but I think there was a campaign to change attitudes towards it, which luckily seems to have been successful. My GF used to do it over in Italy without a second thought when she was younger but it doesnt have the same stigma amongst the younger generations there as it does here. I think it's probably the same in France as well

Grendel

I'm your age, but I think there was a campaign to change attitudes towards it, which luckily seems to have been successful. My GF used to do it over in Italy without a second thought when she was younger but it doesnt have the same stigma amongst the younger generations there as it does here. I think it's probably the same in France as well

Though it may be laudable the roads are less safe now than then. There still wasn’t a huge percentage who drank over the limit. Nowadays however whenever you are on the road there are people texting using social media etc. all the time.

Yesterday I saw some young girl in her car I assume FaceTiming driving one handed not even looking at the road.

Research shows that using phones is worse than being twice over the drink drive limit and a huge percentage are guilty of it every day.

Users who are viewing this thread