Turnbull Recalled with a Permanant Move in the coming days. (2 Viewers)

smileycov

Facebook User
If Celtic and Rangers were allowed into the English pyramid they'd level out as mid table premiership sides after a decade or so. Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen Championship. The rest would be league one and two.
Celtic would be massive in the prem in less than 10 years, IMO. They have the support and worldwide appeal that would attract big money, they also have a name up there enough to attract quality players. So much money sloshing around the PL, they would be a big draw

Skybluefaz

Celtic would be massive in the prem in less than 10 years, IMO. They have the support and worldwide appeal that would attract big money, they also have a name up there enough to attract quality players. So much money sloshing around the PL, they would be a big draw
giphy.gif

Londonccfcfan

Who cares how many more fans Aberdeen have than FGR? The standard of football at partick thistle isn't any better than ours! No amount of fans can change that! 1

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lets face it face it the standard of football at this level is atrocious. Buts its our level.

Hobo

I couldn't agree more, transfer windows are varied in what teams can do and what's available.

However that cash strapped budget cut summer we made 7 permanent signings, Reid, Sordell, Bigirimana and Kwame Thomas. Concluded the deal for a very raw JJ, and paid a fee for Turnbull to add to the already adapting Ghadzev.

5 frees and 2 we paid fees for. JJ you can understand the investment but at a time we let Arron Martin go for free, and paid a fee for a like for like soft replacement and then vincelot when we could of got a few free's in on permanent deals.

TM had a lack of understanding and knowledge of the market and level he was working at and the loans didn't work for him a 2nd season.

The summer is when any committed manager does his business. If he wasn't happy he should of said I'm off early doors that summer.

January windows are to tight to make substantial changes

I love fans bringing up Aaron Martin. Before Mowbray 99 per cent of city fans had him first out the door on the summer transfer list. Mowbray got him back to basics for a hand full of games and playing okay. Mowbray thought he could do better, it is complex but did not workout. However I have no time for hindsight fans who claim we should have stuck with Martin when they were clamouring for him to be sold.

Plus since he left 4 games for Oxford? Was Mowbray that wrong?

pastythegreat

I disagree. Newcastle and Leeds have massive fanbases but doesn't make them a massive prem team.
They attract a lot of players and gain a lot of cash from their Champions League cameos, which they'd fail to qualify for in their 1st season in the Prem, after a season or 2 anybody good enough to play in the UCL in their team will be picked of by the top 6. Within 10 years they'd be top half championship!

Last edited:

Grendel

I love fans bringing up Aaron Martin. Before Mowbray 99 per cent of city fans had him first out the door on the summer transfer list. Mowbray got him back to basics for a hand full of games and playing okay. Mowbray thought he could do better, it is complex but did not workout. However I have no time for hindsight fans who claim we should have stuck with Martin when they were clamouring for him to be sold.

Well you are wrong as he has played 25 times for Oxford.

smileycov

Facebook User
I disagree. Newcastle and Leeds have massive fanbases but doesn't make them a massive prem team.
They attract a lot of players and gain a lot of cash from their Champions League cameos, which they'd fail to qualify for in their 1st season in the Prem, after a season or 2 anybody good enough to play in the UCL in their team will be picked of by the top 6. Within 10 years they'd be too half championship!

Fair point, I do think they would though, just my opinion of course. I put there worldwide appeal, Above those 2 for example. Mute point though it would never happen

Hobo

Well you are wrong as he has played 25 times for Oxford.

Not going to dispute it but can't find that stat.

But doesn't change main thrust of my original post. You once ridiculed him as not being the next Gary Gillespie.

no_loyalty

50p its Mogga getting the band back together

( i know him and Armstrong weren't in the same team)

I would go one better and gamble all of Dale Evans money that Turnbull will sign for Blackburn

steve82

Hindsight don't need to come into this. Granted he's not featured much at Oxford as last season he had a injury early on I believe which set him back and out of favour however in his time here was relatively injury free and started 29 times in the league in 15/16 season.

I don't believe many claimed he was brilliant or worth keeping but my point is we released and then signed a player for a fee with similar characteristics and personality on the pitch.

Where's the logic in signing a clone? How much research did we actually do on Turnbull?

My point being when the budget is tight, why spend on him.

It be like releasing Lee mills or Dean Holdsworth and then buying Darius Henderson.

Grendel

Not going to dispute it but can't find that stat.

But doesn't change main thrust of my original post. You once ridiculed him as not being the next Gary Gillespie.

The second paragraph confuses me.

The first is easy to find and a lesson not to take Wikipedia seriously.

RoboCCFC90

I follow Rangers and I must admit this argument has been going on for years and will always have varying answers.

I do believe that if you were to stick Rangers and Celtic, possibly Aberdeen as well into the Championship they’d all finish top 12, all three would finish bottom half of the Premier League with their current squads.

If either Rangers or Celtic could sustain Premier League Football for between 5-10 years they would become top half sides, potentially pushing for Europe.

The standard of Football played by some sides in the SPL is poor at times, but some of it can be ok.

None of he current squads in the SPL would survive in the Premier League in England.

Hobo

Hindsight don't need to come into this. Granted he's not featured much at Oxford as last season he had a injury early on I believe which set him back and out of favour however in his time here was relatively injury free and started 29 times in the league in 15/16 season.

I don't believe many claimed he was brilliant or worth keeping but my point is we released and then signed a player for a fee with similar characteristics and personality on the pitch.

Where's the logic in signing a clone? How much research did we actually do on Turnbull?

My point being when the budget is tight, why spend on him.

It be like releasing Lee mills or Dean Holdsworth and then buying Darius Henderson.

Well our scouting ability has long been suspect. At least our youth/academy policy seems more back on track.

My point is sometimes you have to let go before you can bring in. The bringing in is still a gamble. Fans don't see it though do they? Phoning up each week saying we need a goal scorer, but without being able to name a goalscorer, who is current playing and not retired.

steve82

Well our scouting ability has long been suspect. At least our youth/academy policy seems more back on track.

My point is sometimes you have to let go before you can bring in. The bringing in is still a gamble. Fans don't see it though do they? Phoning up each week saying we need a goal scorer, but without being able to name a goalscorer, who is current playing and not retired.

Yes point well made, we hear that often.

I do agree that sometimes decisions need making in early may for what you hope to do in June/July ideally. It's all a gamble, had we of kept him him still most likely would of had injuries and not featured... etc.

My gripe was we signed a clone late in the window for a needless fee

smileycov

Facebook User
I follow Rangers and I must admit this argument has been going on for years and will always have varying answers.

I do believe that if you were to stick Rangers and Celtic, possibly Aberdeen as well into the Championship they’d all finish top 12, all three would finish bottom half of the Premier League with their current squads.

If either Rangers or Celtic could sustain Premier League Football for between 5-10 years they would become top half sides, potentially pushing for Europe.

The standard of Football played by some sides in the SPL is poor at times, but some of it can be ok.

None of he current squads in the SPL would survive in the Premier League in England.
This is what I was trying to say, but not so eloquently lol. Celtic (and Rangers tbf) now would struggle indeed, but the shear size of support and worldwide appeal means tapping into the vast fortunes on offer in the PL would ensure sustainability in a few years.

covcity4life

I couldn't agree more, transfer windows are varied in what teams can do and what's available.

However that cash strapped budget cut summer we made 7 permanent signings, Reid, Sordell, Bigirimana and Kwame Thomas. Concluded the deal for a very raw JJ, and paid a fee for Turnbull to add to the already adapting Ghadzev.

5 frees and 2 we paid fees for. JJ you can understand the investment but at a time we let Arron Martin go for free, and paid a fee for a like for like soft replacement and then vincelot when we could of got a few free's in on permanent deals.

TM had a lack of understanding and knowledge of the market and level he was working at and the loans didn't work for him a 2nd season.

The summer is when any committed manager does his business. If he wasn't happy he should of said I'm off early doors that summer.

January windows are to tight to make substantial changes
He did well the 1st summer with loans
Not well 2nd summer
Did well with black burn this summer

1 off? 66% good summer recoed in last 3 years?
Maybe it was budget. Maybe it was scouting network. Doesnt seem to be a huge issue with him tho.

stevefloyd

Is the youth/academy back on track or has it always been decent? Younger players are getting more of a chance these days because of our lowly position, Ponticelli wouldn't really get a sniff if we was a couple of leagues higher and the same with Bayliss and Shipley because we would be paying higher wages to players and it would take a brave manager to drop some of our supposed high earning 'stars'

Users who are viewing this thread