Tim Fisher - "you'll be back after 3 matches" (1 Viewer)

Well the capacity is usually 7,500, but that is being reduced while they carry out some expansion work to the ground, so am guessing with the capacity reduced, Tim will predict something like 10,000. :whistle:

Can't wait for Mark Labovitch to pop up and say that CCC should take a lesson from Northampton Council and how they help the local team by financing the redevelopment of the stadium......................oh,:slap::thinking about:

shmmeee

Maybe he listened to some of those on the SCG. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If the momentum had of continued I'm sure a few more would have attended. None of this really helps though does it. If something doesn't give it'll be the same next season. Outside of the JR ruling the small numbers at six fields may have forced a softening in SISU and maybe the council might soften their approach too and some sort of mutually beneficial deal can be done. At the moment there are no winners

The evidence isn't really there for that. The crowd declined during our purple patch, only to jump at bank holiday games, there's no correlation to performance on the pitch that I can see (which is pretty unique for our attendances).

TurkeyTrot

The evidence isn't really there for that. The crowd declined during our purple patch, only to jump at bank holiday games, there's no correlation to performance on the pitch that I can see (which is pretty unique for our attendances).

The evidence isn't there because our purple patch didn't continue. But like I say, it don't really matter does it? We could have a round of "I told you so's" and finger pointing every day on here, doesn't help the situation, doesn't help fan unity, just makes fans more entrench. The only way to be effective if to concentrate on what we (mostly) agree on. Personally I will not give a single penny to my club until SISU have gone. I'm not up for debating it, don't care what you or anyone else thinks to that stance, it's my stance and I will stand by it. At my age I may never get to see my team again but that's my choice. But I know that viewpoint is nowhere near what the majority of fans want and accept that and will do whatever to help achieve what the majority want. One step at a time.

Kingokings204

2 great points I have read.

The Northampton council helping sixfields and their local team?

What does TF think attendances for next season and how will you fund these losses?

J

Jack Griffin

Yeah, I tried plotting it & the bank holidays or big away followings were the main drivers of the bigger crowds.

shmmeee

The evidence isn't there because our purple patch didn't continue. But like I say, it don't really matter does it? We could have a round of "I told you so's" and finger pointing every day on here, doesn't help the situation, doesn't help fan unity, just makes fans more entrench. The only way to be effective if to concentrate on what we (mostly) agree on. Personally I will not give a single penny to my club until SISU have gone. I'm not up for debating it, don't care what you or anyone else thinks to that stance, it's my stance and I will stand by it. At my age I may never get to see my team again but that's my choice. But I know that viewpoint is nowhere near what the majority of fans want and accept that and will do whatever to help achieve what the majority want. One step at a time.

Calm down. I was simply letting you know what the stats show. I became a bit of an attendance geek after Garlick's comments about us never having many fans.

shmmeee

Yeah, I tried plotting it & the bank holidays or big away followings were the main drivers of the bigger crowds.

I've got all the home attendances (with away taken out) somewhere but I can't find it. But you're right, it's been pretty steady with a bit of a drop if anything over the season. Boxing Day and one of the other games shot up, but that's it.

The Penguin

Calm down. I was simply letting you know what the stats show. I became a bit of an attendance geek after Garlick's comments about us never having many fans.

Hang on...what comments about not having many fans?

Hope my dad doesn't hear them, otherwise yet another history lesson about that Wolves game in 1967 will follow....

Spionkop

A chap called Paul Briffitt, writing a comment in the Cov Telegraph hits the nail on the head for me.
Sisu want everything on the cheap. It has become very evident they are prepared for a war of attrition to achieve those aims. Us fans? We don't matter. Anyone putting money into a Sisu controlled club at Sixfields wants their head looking at. They will be playing a part in the further decline and possible death of our club.
And don't give me any 'supporting the lads' 'for my kids' claptrap. There is a vastly bigger picture.
Already Sisu are spending big sums on legal fees that might have got a decent player or two in next season.
Obviously I and he are not the first to remark on this, but just in case anyone forgets....

"I have watched this saga from afar without comment thus far, but I will add my tuppence worth. Considering City's owners claim they are not in this to get the Ricoh on the cheap they don't half put a good fight up for a ground they claim not to need as they are building their own ground somewhere as yet to be defined."

shy_tall_knight

A chap called Paul Briffitt, writing a comment in the Cov Telegraph hits the nail on the head for me.
Sisu want everything on the cheap. It has become very evident they are prepared for a war of attrition to achieve those aims. Us fans? We don't matter. Anyone putting money into a Sisu controlled club at Sixfields wants their head looking at. They will be playing a part in the further decline and possible death of our club.
And don't give me any 'supporting the lads' 'for my kids' claptrap. There is a vastly bigger picture.
Already Sisu are spending big sums on legal fees that might have got a decent player or two in next season.
Obviously I and he are not the first to remark on this, but just in case anyone forgets....

"I have watched this saga from afar without comment thus far, but I will add my tuppence worth. Considering City's owners claim they are not in this to get the Ricoh on the cheap they don't half put a good fight up for a ground they claim not to need as they are building their own ground somewhere as yet to be defined."

100% , bang on, top post running out of superlatives - I will hold back on calling fellow sky blue fans fools for being involved in the stadium consultative group but they will feel foolish in the next few years as this stadium will never happen -do these also attend sixfields but will they also be on the march to have the club returned to Cov ? I doubt it

TurkeyTrot

I think deep down most City fans will agree with you. I certainly do. BUT... What would you say to the fan that's says yes you are right but if it benefits Coventry City Football Club then I'm more than happy to go with it. You have to realise it works both ways. I would say the majority of fans ain't really interested or are sick to death of the politics of it all and just want the team playing back at the Ricoh. Both those that attend Sixfields and those who choose not to go (boycott is probably the wrong word in this instance) have silently made their choice. How big do you want to picture to be? The bigger picture lays with the FL, FA, maybe Sky for ignoring or actively destroying our game for greed. The bigger bigger picture could point at successive Governments for allowing it to happen. The huge picture is maybe the whole global system that needs to be smashed so we can all start again. What size is the frame the picture can fit in :)

Blaming the fans for the choices they have made is a cop out. We all have our own reasons for going to home games or going to away game or not going at all.

Astute

100% , bang on, top post running out of superlatives - I will hold back on calling fellow sky blue fans fools for being involved in the stadium consultative group but they will feel foolish in the next few years as this stadium will never happen -do these also attend sixfields but will they also be on the march to have the club returned to Cov ? I doubt it

I don't blame those who go to Northampton. We all have our reasons to go and not to go. What we do have though is a few who go that attack with words those more vocal on why they won't go whilst saying that they do not favour one side. Yet only have a go at one side. Other excuses are we know that SISU are shit. Why keep saying it whilst constantly having a go at CCC. We all know that CCC did not act perfectly, so why keep mentioning CCC if it is so wrong to keep mentioning SISU in a bad light.

It seems as though some don't want us united together. Do they feel as though this would ruin SISU's plans to devalue and get the Ricoh on the cheap?

Brighton Sky Blue

Indeed, those sentiments have been voiced on here for a long time by a lot of people. The minute they get the stadium they can sell it and the club as a joint package and get far more than they can expect to get for the club alone. Buy the Ricoh for as little as possible sell it for as much as possible and offload the club at the same time.

The sooner they get it the sooner they will go.

dadgad

Blaming the fans for the choices they have made is a cop out. We all have our own reasons for going to home games or going to away game or not going at all.

It isn't 'blaming' anyone to suggest that a different tactic might be employed.

Astute

I think deep down most City fans will agree with you. I certainly do. BUT... What would you say to the fan that's says yes you are right but if it benefits Coventry City Football Club then I'm more than happy to go with it. You have to realise it works both ways. I would say the majority of fans ain't really interested or are sick to death of the politics of it all and just want the team playing back at the Ricoh. Both those that attend Sixfields and those who choose not to go (boycott is probably the wrong word in this instance) have silently made their choice. How big do you want to picture to be? The bigger picture lays with the FL, FA, maybe Sky for ignoring or actively destroying our game for greed. The bigger bigger picture could point at successive Governments for allowing it to happen. The huge picture is maybe the whole global system that needs to be smashed so we can all start again. What size is the frame the picture can fit in :)

Explain to me how letting SISU get the Ricoh cheaply will benefit our club when our club won't own it?

Whilst the Ricoh is in the hands of people who care about Coventry our football club will always have a place to play. We will always have a secure future even if the next few years are dodgy to say the least. But if it is in the hands of a hedge fund who wants money and don't care about Coventry or our football club what would happen? Yes you are right. We don't have a clue. It would be whatever makes them the most money. And I can't see us ever having another stadium built for us.

Brighton Sky Blue

Explain to me how letting SISU get the Ricoh cheaply will benefit our club when our club won't own it?

Whilst the Ricoh is in the hands of people who care about Coventry our football club will always have a place to play. We will always have a secure future even if the next few years are dodgy to say the least. But if it is in the hands of a hedge fund who wants money and don't care about Coventry or our football club what would happen? Yes you are right. We don't have a clue. It would be whatever makes them the most money. And I can't see us ever having another stadium built for us.

If getting the stadium forms their exit strategy then it could work out quite nicely-and I strongly suspect that's what it is.

torchomatic

Abolutely spot on. No one wants to play at Sixfields. No one wants the club to be in the mess it’s in. Unfortunately, to people like Spion (and the many that agree with his posts), things are black and white. Attendance at Sixfields doesn’t mean you are condoning or agreeing with SISUs actions. However, the easy way for him is to label those that have chosen to go “wrong”, “traitors”, “morally bankrupt”, etc. There’s always been a vocal majority who think as they shout the loudest then everyone should unquestioningly agree with the stance that they personally wish to take. They really do find it difficult that some do not agree with them.

I have absolutely no problem with those who boycott, go to away games only, those who stand on the hill or those that attend Sixfields to watch their team. It’s not really anyone else’s business to judge what an individual fan decides to do. Whatever their choice it no way says “good on you SISU” or “well done ACL”.

I only have an issue with those who tell me how I must act or think.

This season was strange for me. I started off boycotting with the majority but decided to go as my Sky Blue son wanted to. Yes, simple as that. If Spion and his mates think that is “claptrap” then fine. If he and they want to continue to say attendees are to blame then again, fine. That is up to them. My son’s enjoyment of watching him team, win lose or draw is worth a million “it’s all their fault” threads.

In fact, this season I’ve seen more football than I have since the 90s. We’ve done ten away games too this season. I don’t regret for one second taking him and I will get a season ticket for the both of us next season too, whether we are playing at Sixfields or hopefully the Ricoh.

Your last line is so true “blaming fans for their choices is a cop out” It is. We’ve had some really nasty stuff posted on here this season - from hoping for car crashes to "happy to chin anyone that goes". Sometimes it’s hard to believe we all support the same team.

It seems amongst all the name calling and mud slinging we’ve forgotten that simple fact.

Last edited:

Astute

If getting the stadium forms their exit strategy then it could work out quite nicely-and I strongly suspect that's what it is.

If that was the case they would get backing from some in CCC. But it is too much of a gamble to take.

mrtrench

Unfortunately, to [some] people ... things are black and white. Attendance at Sixfields doesn’t mean you are condoning or agreeing with SISUs actions.

I have seen several people on here who really seem to be believe that everything is binary. They think that 'if only we could get NOBODY to attend then SISU will move back to Coventry'. This appears to drive their opinion and passions. It's a misplaced assumption - but if they really do believe this, then I guess it explains their attitude even if it doesn't justify them.

TurkeyTrot

Whooah, at what point did I say we should let SISU have the Ricoh on the cheap? My personal opinion is that I would never sell the Ricoh to SISU because I don't trust them. But if SISU did get hold of the Ricoh I would love them to prove me wrong.
None of us know what will happen, that's the reality of it. But we can comment and form an opinion on what has happened.
One thing I will say is can you tell me who these people are or company is that cares about our football team? Not having a pop at CCC, it's there duty to care about the City as a whole. If ACL cared about our football team as anchor tenants why wasn't a more affordable rent agreed way back when?

bigfatronssba

It's not people attending Sixfields that annoys me, it's people attending and not expressing any anger at the situation.

If you go into Sixfields you should be singing protest songs for a full 90 minutes. Instead we have at best apathy, and at worst some actually like going (A La Pete Chambers).

If you don't make your voices heard how do you expect people to know your unhappy?

Brighton Sky Blue

If that was the case they would get backing from some in CCC. But it is too much of a gamble to take.

There is a risk attached to every transaction on this kind of scale. However it's as clear as day that the best exit for SISU is a sale of club and stadium in one package.

dadgad

I have seen several people on here who really seem to be believe that everything is binary. They think that 'if only we could get NOBODY to attend then SISU will move back to Coventry'. This appears to drive their opinion and passions. It's a misplaced assumption - but if they really do believe this, then I guess it explains their attitude even if it doesn't justify them.

BUT, it is the only things us fans haven't done/tried.
Given that it would be far easier and logical for the minority to join the majority then there is obviously a sensible reason to suggest this change of tack.
The alternative is to continue with a situation that not one single fan wants.
That isn't clever.

Kingokings204

It's not people attending Sixfields that annoys me, it's people attending and not expressing any anger at the situation.

If you go into Sixfields you should be singing protest songs for a full 90 minutes. Instead we have at best apathy, and at worst some actually like going (A La Pete Chambers).

If you don't make your voices heard how do you expect people to know your unhappy?

Fantastic post. How could no one agree with this. Maybe the 1500 fans are mostly from Nothampton or too scared?

Before you slate me why not do it then? The most I saw was a photobomb of TF (which was funny) but not nearly enough.

torchomatic

That's another example of what happens on here: Opinion is fact and if you don't explicitly say something then you are either disagreeing or agreeing with it depending on the point of view. A good example is Bigfat's "So are you saying SISU are good owners?" mantra.

Whooah, at what point did I say we should let SISU have the Ricoh on the cheap? My personal opinion is that I would never sell the Ricoh to SISU because I don't trust them. But if SISU did get hold of the Ricoh I would love them to prove me wrong.
None of us know what will happen, that's the reality of it. But we can comment and form an opinion on what has happened.
One thing I will say is can you tell me who these people are or company is that cares about our football team? Not having a pop at CCC, it's there duty to care about the City as a whole. If ACL cared about our football team as anchor tenants why wasn't a more affordable rent agreed way back when?

Astute

If ACL cared about our football team as anchor tenants why wasn't a more affordable rent agreed way back when?

So you don't understand that a big mortgage was taken on to help with costs to build the stadium?

You don't understand that interest rates were much higher when this was done?

You don't understand that as a new build there was no other income at this time?

You don't understand that all excess money got put into the stadium and paying off the debt.

Not having a go at you personally. But you have some that make out it made money for CCC and Higgs when they never took a penny out of it. Financially it was different then to now. Yes they could have refinanced earlier than they did. This is where they are at fault. But not that much earlier. And we don't also know the wording on indemnities of the mortgage. But some like to make out CCC are at fault as much as SISU. What a joke.

Astute

There is a risk attached to every transaction on this kind of scale. However it's as clear as day that the best exit for SISU is a sale of club and stadium in one package.

Not at the bottom of the cycle if Joy is to be believed for once though.

duffer

Abolutely spot on. No one wants to play at Sixfields. No one wants the club to be in the mess it’s in. Unfortunately, to people like Spion (and the many that agree with his posts), things are black and white. Attendance at Sixfields doesn’t mean you are condoning or agreeing with SISUs actions. However, the easy way for him is to label those that have chosen to go “wrong”, “traitors”, “morally bankrupt”, etc. There’s always been a vocal majority who think as they shout the loudest then everyone should unquestioningly agree with the stance that they personally wish to take. They really do find it difficult that some do not agree with them.

I have absolutely no problem with those who boycott, go to away games only, those who stand on the hill or those that attend Sixfields to watch their team. It’s not really anyone else’s business to judge what an individual fan decides to do. Whatever their choice it no way says “good on you SISU” or “well done ACL”.

I only have an issue with those who tell me how I must act or think.

This season was strange for me. I started off boycotting with the majority but decided to go as my Sky Blue son wanted to. Yes, simple as that. If Spion and his mates think that is “claptrap” then fine. If he and they want to continue to say attendees are to blame then again, fine. That is up to them. My son’s enjoyment of watching him team, win lose or draw is worth a million “it’s all their fault” threads.

In fact, this season I’ve seen more football than I have since the 90s. We’ve done ten away games too this season. I don’t regret for one second taking him and I will get a season ticket for the both of us next season too, whether we are playing at Sixfields or hopefully the Ricoh.

Your last line is so true “blaming fans for their choices is a cop out” It is. We’ve had some really nasty stuff posted on here this season - from hoping for car crashes to "happy to chin anyone that goes". Sometimes it’s hard to believe we all support the same team.

It seems amongst all the name calling and mud slinging we’ve forgotten that simple fact.

This is a really great post. I don't always agree with Torchy, but he's spot on here, imho.

It's not for me or anyone else to tell him that he should or shouldn't go to Sixfields, and I respect his reasons for the choice that he's made.

In saying that it is my honest belief that one of the primary drivers for an early return to the Ricoh is the low attendances at Sixfields, and I think to that end the less that go there, the more quickly this will be resolved.

But again, I can't demand that someone does something based on my opinion; I can only decide what I do personally with regard to attending Sixfields, based on those beliefs.

shy_tall_knight

Indeed, those sentiments have been voiced on here for a long time by a lot of people. The minute they get the stadium they can sell it and the club as a joint package and get far more than they can expect to get for the club alone. Buy the Ricoh for as little as possible sell it for as much as possible and offload the club at the same time.

The sooner they get it the sooner they will go.

Yes but if they do get it they could sell the club and keep the lease and charge an even higher rent than £1.2m and we would be back to square 1 however this time SISU are getting the rent and the lease will be watertight with no possibility of exiting the lease like the way SISU did in 2013.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes but if they do get it they could sell the club and keep the lease and charge an even higher rent than £1.2m and we would be back to square 1 however this time SISU are getting the rent and the lease will be watertight with no possibility of exiting the lease like the way SISU did in 2013.

The key is to sell the club and the stadium as one package. The club itself is worthless and nobody in their right mind would buy it alone, especially under a cumbersome rental agreement.

Astute

Buy the Ricoh, build a few extras, sell it and the club on.

Build? In a year they managed to get a couple of pictures together. If we needed them to build something we would all be dead by the time they would be ready to sell ;)

They would make lots of money in the long run keeping the arena and letting our club go. They know themselves the difficulties and expense of building another stadium. They have seen that most won't keep going to another ground. They know they would have a captive audience. So we have no idea what they would do.

TurkeyTrot

So you don't understand that a big mortgage was taken on to help with costs to build the stadium?

You don't understand that interest rates were much higher when this was done?

You don't understand that as a new build there was no other income at this time?

You don't understand that all excess money got put into the stadium and paying off the debt.

Not having a go at you personally. But you have some that make out it made money for CCC and Higgs when they never took a penny out of it. Financially it was different then to now. Yes they could have refinanced earlier than they did. This is where they are at fault. But not that much earlier. And we don't also know the wording on indemnities of the mortgage. But some like to make out CCC are at fault as much as SISU. What a joke.
Astute, not having a go at you personally but I was at a meeting many many years ago with Paul Fletcher before any of us had even heard of SISU (the guy who struck the deal with the club while working for ACL) he was saying way back then that the rent was unsustainable and pleas for help from ACL were falling on deaf ears. Not having a go at ACL, it's their business but they sure didn't help the matter, they're not some sort of fairy god mother that cares for the club, they are a business.

Users who are viewing this thread