Things that annoy you (21 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Yes, why should you work when you are sick? Why should you spread the virus around the workplace if you don't have to.

There is nothing virtuous about presenteeism.

I'm pretty sure there's millions who have absolutely no choice in working when they have a cold. I'd still go to work with a runny nose.

Do people not leave the house, go shopping or do anything else when they only have a cold?

Would be interesting the percentage of work force in the UK who have full sick pay with no negative downsides to being off. (I'm not saying it's right, just how it is)

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm pretty sure there's millions who have absolutely no choice in working when they have a cold. I'd still go to work with a runny nose.

Do people not leave the house, go shopping or do anything else when they only have a cold?

Would be interesting the percentage of work force in the UK who have full sick pay with no negative downsides to being off. (I'm not saying it's right, just how it is)
When I was teaching it was easier to go in unwell rather than come up with cover work for all your classes and return to chaos because the cover teacher let them arse around. That and SLT would investigate it if you were ill more than 5 days in an academic year.

SBAndy

I worked at a place where it was seen as a badge of honour to stay late as if it was almost a good thing you didn’t have time to get your work done in the day.

The same place we were contracted to work 36.5 hours per week but my Director pulled me in because I was ‘letting’ my team leave an hour ‘early’ each week even though that was their contracted hours and all of them worked over that anyway!

Three hours we spent ‘debating it’ one night and his argument was our contracts said it was neither a minimum or a maximum so he thought that was some kind of out. He even went to HR about it who just replied it wasn’t a minimum or a maximum like that was some sort of answer.

Needless to say my team continued to take their hour and fuck all was said again.

He was a c**t though who once added to an SLT away day agenda that morale (which was on its arse) was not an item that we could talk about with him. 🤣

Remember when I got promoted years ago and our hours were 9-5. After a week of leaving at 5 my boss said I couldn’t leave on time as I was now a higher grade. Just responded that I’d done all my work and carried on leaving at 5.

People who work longer than they should are not efficient enough at their work (or, indeed, their place of work is understaffed).

Brighton Sky Blue

Remember when I got promoted years ago and our hours were 9-5. After a week of leaving at 5 my boss said I couldn’t leave on time as I was now a higher grade. Just responded that I’d done all my work and carried on leaving at 5.

People who work longer than they should are not efficient enough at their work (or, indeed, their place of work is understaffed).
Or they have too high a workload.

Nick

Administrator

Yeah I've worked in places where it's frowned upon to take a lunch break (rather than eating at the desk)

Tommo1993

Anything on the HGV industry? Shitty SSP. We can go out and risk thousands of lives or sit at home and not earn enough to put food on the table. It’s no wonder so many are unfit to drive. The pressure in this industry is ridiculously high.

Brighton Sky Blue

See the understaffed comment.

Edit: I think one of the key challenges in that whole mindset is people feel they need to get the work done, even if it means working late. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll do it occasionally. But it leads those in senior roles to believe the head count is correct when in fact it is artificial.
Taking Mrs BSB as an example, she'll have about 100-150 pieces of work to mark a week, with a modest number of free periods in the week. So it physically isn't possible to do that within her official working hours meaning you either return work late and get complaints, or you work after school and at weekends to get it done.

Blind-Faith

People who come into the office when they’re sick

There’s 9 people in this office, 3 are currently clearly ill and 2 are joking about how everyone else is going to get it

So now I will inevitably get sick and not be able to visit my Dad in the care home
This makes my bloody boil, 3 out of the 6 people who sit around me have all come in with it over the last two weeks, stay the fuck at home! The place can function without you for a few days while you get better.

Blind-Faith

Yeah my absolute fucking bitch of a boss who the whole office absolutely hate, stays a couple of hours late pretty much every night. If you can’t get your work load done in your contracted hours then your shit at your job pure and simple. If she didn’t keep poking her nose into everyone else work she might actually achieve it.

Sick Boy

I turned up to work one Monday at a previous job to a bollocking from my boss for not responding to an email over the weekend despite the fact I didn’t work weekends or do any kind of on call or cover

Told him my Nan had died over the weekend, his response was to tell me about how busy things were at the moment. They did however do me the ‘favour’ of waving their months notice for booking annual leave so I could go to the funeral

Not long after that same boss had an aunt die and took nearly a month off on compassionate leave
Apart from the other ridiculous stuff, I’ve never known of any workplace that make you use annual leave for a close relative’s funeral.

fernandopartridge

Not sure what relevance the first or second paragraph has to what I said.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Tommo1993

Apart from the other ridiculous stuff, I’ve never known of any workplace that make you use annual leave for a close relative’s funeral.

Common practice in haulage industry. Unless it’s very immediate I.e. mum, dad, sister, brother, child, you have to use annual leave. And even that comes with awkward difficulty.

If you’re a driver, that is. Work in the office though, name any perk, you’ll get it.

chiefdave

If you can’t get your work load done in your contracted hours then your shit at your job pure and simple.
This. If you can’t get your work done starting on time, taking lunch and finishing on time then either you’re not up to the job or you’re being given an impossible workload

There’s people where I work who waste hours a day and then stay late. They are the bosses favourites over people who get their work done and leave on time

Langers70

Common practice in haulage industry. Unless it’s very immediate I.e. mum, dad, sister, brother, child, you have to use annual leave. And even that comes with awkward difficulty.

If you’re a driver, that is. Work in the office though, name any perk, you’ll get it.
My brothers a bus driver.They gave him 3 days compassionate leave when we lost our Dad.My company immediately gave me 2 weeks compassionate leave.My brothers company response was... "Well your brother can take care of everything"

oscillatewildly

Waiting in a supermarket self checkout queue and watching somebody THEN load their pile of scanned groceries into the bag.
FFS are these people unaware of the scientific breakthrough that occurred?

Marty

Never understood people who work themselves into the ground for a company that would replace them in an heartbeat if they were to drop down dead.

Get yourself to a decent wage level with no responsibility and do the bare minimum not to get sacked.

fernandopartridge

Never understood people who work themselves into the ground for a company that would replace them in an heartbeat if they were to drop down dead.

Get yourself to a decent wage level with no responsibility and do the bare minimum not to get sacked.
Wise words

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Ian1779

You're right. Any kid that shows the slightest sign, they're all over it.

Shame, as 95% are just little shits and need telling off, then they'll be alright.
That’s simply not true - most schools are so underfunded they don’t have the capacity to implement anything like that even if they wanted to.

15 years ago students with a statement (EHCP now) had funding to provide 1-1 in class support with a LSA. That same funding no longer exists, most secondaries can afford a SENCO and that’s about it - never mind a substantive SEND team to dish out EHCP’s like candy.

Last edited:

ccfc922

That’s simply not true - most schools are so underfunded they don’t have the capacity to implement anything like that even if they wanted to.

15 years ago students with a statement (EHCP now) had funding to provide 1-1 in class support with a LSA. That same funding no longer exists, most secondaries can afford a SENCO and that’s about it - never mind a substantive SEND team to dish out EHCP’s like candy.

It simply is true. Experienced it first hand with a kid who genuinely had learning difficulties, so naturally her brother had them... even though he didn't and turns out is just bright. The school were after extra funding on the basis his sister had learning difficulties. Schools/teachers are absolute shysters.

That's even before we touch on their curriculum.

ccfc922

Cunts who have just started supporting a "popular" team, so wear a retro shirt to reinforce their "support".

See Brother, Newcastle Brown/McEwans, Sharp etc 😴😴😴

ccfc922

I think Ian’s right, changed a lot since I taught and now seems schools get nothing

Can only go off my own experience, n they tried to get a false claim going. We're talking maybe 5 years ago, but it sums schools up.

My old "reputable" headmaster got sacked for fiddling SATs scores to get more/better funding for the school.

My two married "christian" RE teachers ended up having an affair and getting together, resulting in two divorces.

I don't have my own children, but I wouldn't put complete faith in schools looking after kids best interests.

shmmeee

Can only go off my own experience, n they tried to get a false claim going. We're talking maybe 5 years ago, but it sums schools up.

My old "reputable" headmaster got sacked for fiddling SATs scores to get more/better funding for the school.

My two married "christian" RE teachers ended up having an affair and getting together, resulting in two divorces.

I don't have my own children, but I wouldn't put complete faith in schools looking after kids best interests.

I’m not sure teachers love lives are all that relevant. The vast majority of schools are just trying their best in a shit situation with some perverse incentives.

Brighton Sky Blue

Schools do their best considering the government has cut their real terms budgets for 13 years and the education sector as a whole has a recruitment and retention crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread