Things that annoy you (22 Viewers)

shmmeee

Are you a teacher?

The only reason most would want to defend what governments have caused for many years.

Or are you trying to say that grammar has improved and not been downgraded for years?

I don’t think grammar is an indicator of much other than grammar TBH. Language standards have definitely changed over the last twenty years thanks to the advent of internationalism, spell check and text based communication though.

I did used to teach, and I think there’s many problems with education. I just also think people have been making these claims for generations and yet IQ scores keep going up and I don’t see why education wouldn’t benefit like every other industry from modernisation.

Dog

I don’t think grammar is an indicator of much other than grammar TBH. Language standards have definitely changed over the last twenty years thanks to the advent of internationalism, spell check and text based communication though.

I did used to teach, and I think there’s many problems with education. I just also think people have been making these claims for generations and yet IQ scores keep going up and I don’t see why education wouldn’t benefit like every other industry from modernisation.
Are phones allowed in lessons? If not then it is down to what restrictions teachers are put under. They shouldn't need any kind of spell checker if taught properly.

IQ tests? They have only taken off with the invention of the Internet.

Dog

Source on IQ going up over generations:

From your link

Some research suggests that there may be an ongoing reversed Flynn effect, i.e. a decline in IQ scores, in Norway, Denmark, Australia, Britain, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, and German-speaking countries,[4] a development which appears to have started in the 1990s,[5][6][7][8] but in certain cases an apparent reversal is due to cultural changes making parts of intelligence tests obsolete.[9] Meta-analyses indicate that overall, the Flynn effect continues either at the same rate[10] or at a slower rate in developed countries.[11][12]

shmmeee

Are phones allowed in lessons? If not then it is down to what restrictions teachers are put under. They shouldn't need any kind of spell checker if taught properly.

Um, that study goes back to 1948 but OK.

I think you may be suffering from what’s technically called “getting old” 😂

How’s your horse shoeing skills?

What’s needed changes over time. We have spelling and grammar checks on most writing devices. It’s really not that important. That said my kids know what a hanging participle or whatever is and I’ve no clue as it wasn’t in trend when I was at school.

I taught Computing so yeah kids did have spell check and were graded on their ability to use it.

The kids are alright man. They’re taking less drugs, getting pregnant less, achieving more, because we as a society keep progressing. Skills in outdated things dropping off is natural.

Did you know people complained when chalk and slate was brought into education because they feared it would stop kids being able to memorise things?

shmmeee

From your link

Some research suggests that there may be an ongoing reversed Flynn effect, i.e. a decline in IQ scores, in Norway, Denmark, Australia, Britain, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, and German-speaking countries,[4] a development which appears to have started in the 1990s,[5][6][7][8] but in certain cases an apparent reversal is due to cultural changes making parts of intelligence tests obsolete.[9] Meta-analyses indicate that overall, the Flynn effect continues either at the same rate[10] or at a slower rate in developed countries.[11][12]

Ill take meta analysis of a topic over “some studies”.

COV

IQ tests have been around a lot longer than that, and some of the smartest (and richest) people I’ve ever met are terrible spellers... and couldn’t care less

Dog

What’s needed changes over time. We have spelling and grammar checks on most writing devices. It’s really not that important. That said my kids know what a hanging participle or whatever is and I’ve no clue as it wasn’t in trend when I was at school.

I taught Computing so yeah kids did have spell check and were graded on their ability to use it.

The kids are alright man. They’re taking less drugs, getting pregnant less, achieving more, because we as a society keep progressing. Skills in outdated things dropping off is natural.

Did you know people complained when chalk and slate was brought into education because they feared it would stop kids being able to memorise things?
The link you put up says research shows our IQ levels have gone down since the 90's. Strangely enough I said about the last 25 years and not 75 years.

Dog

IQ tests have been around a lot longer than that, and some of the smartest (and richest) people I’ve ever met are terrible spellers... and couldn’t care less
Do you know the meaning of irony?

So a lot longer than what?

JAM See

I'm generally aligned mate. The kids ARE alright and they're probably better behaved and more socially aware than us oldies

But...Ed Sheeran. Which generation is responsible for that?

Dog

I'm generally aligned mate. The kids ARE alright and they're probably better behaved and more socially aware than us oldies

But...Ed Sheeran. Which generation is responsible for that?
How many juveniles used to commit murder at the time you speak of? It is nearly a daily occurrence now.

JAM See

What is your point? I can shoot anecdotes back at you, but Shmmee's point is still valid. The kids ARE alright, and after all, they are the future.

Last edited:

Dog

What is your point? I can shoot anecdotes back at you, but Shmmee's point is still valid. The kids ARE alright, and after all, they are the future.
This is why I don't normally put posts up anywhere.

So the rioters were juveniles?

Have I said the kids are NOT OK? No. But you want to make out things have been said that haven't.

The murders by the youth of today happen all the time. But already people like yourself want to wipe them from history.

What I did say was the standard of education these days is of a lower grade than previous. I have dealt with school leavers for about 25 years. How about you?

ccfc92

Betting companies not offering odds on players booked.

Surely if you know teamsheet and odds on first scorer, you can offer odds on bookings?

Also, not all markets available on popular leagues like championship, L1 etc.

LastGarrison

Betting companies not offering odds on players booked.

Surely if you know teamsheet and odds on first scorer, you can offer odds on bookings?

Also, not all markets available on popular leagues like championship, L1 etc.
Bet365 do.

Bookings were my go to bet at the Euros and turned out to be profitable.

Sbarcher

Yeah that's what I mean, even bet365 only do the high profile games. Specific players to be booked is often missing
Maybe they are concerned about bet rigging for ome matches. Old lag looking for a last big payday?

wingy

Erm, there's a woman being interviewed from Afghanistan on BBC now who cannot Go five words without .

Last edited:

skyblueinBaku

Erm, theirs a woman being interviewed from Afghanistan on BBC now who cannot Go five words without .
Without what? *Not "theirs", but "there's".

Greggs

Some are proper twats though, go out for a quiet meal with a bird and you have a bunch of feral kids running round making a racket. Maybe that's a problem with the parents though.

Kids should be like women, seen and not heard.
Hahahaha

Greggs

People who pick their dog shit up in a plastic bag. Then discard the bag, in the field, with the shit in it. What's the fucking point. Shit is biodegradable. The plastic bag you've just cleaned that shit up with, is not.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
You need to learn the fake pick up. I've been using the same shit bag for months!

Users who are viewing this thread