Take the knee (4 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Sorry I forgot having a great community race relations project exempts you from people thinking you are wrong.

We've already established it's not meaningless as you need to keep something in the publics eye or it will just go away from the public debate. No one said taking a knee with every change anything but it a method of saying we are still here you know,

The implication is QPR don’t care because they didn’t want to do it-we all know that’s BS.

David O'Day

The implication is QPR don’t care because they didn’t want to do it-we all know that’s BS.

No the implication was it wasn't a very good statement and read like it was trying to excuse their actions after they were rightly called out on it.

Sadly in this world you will have to keep ramming this down peoples throats or the public will move on to the next thing.

Brighton Sky Blue

No the implication was it wasn't a very good statement and read like it was trying to excuse their actions after they were rightly called out on it.

Sadly in this world you will have to keep ramming this down peoples throats or the public will move on to the next thing.

If you do that people will get irritated as they already are. I want to see the actual stuff being done getting put in the spotlight each week

David O'Day

If you do that people will get irritated as they already are. I want to see the actual stuff being done getting put in the spotlight each week

I want to make sure the polite chattering classes who can help with change aren't allowed to forget it. Anyone irritated by footballers kneeling before games needs to ask themselves why and then go fuck themselves.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Nah it's a bollocks statement rushed out to try and back up his clubs awful decision.

History shows us that sport and society and quite happy to forget issues such as racism and happily carry on as normal.

Society needs to be continually prodded and reminded of it's long history of inaction.
Great statement from Ferdinand. He's probably forgotten more about racism and what is needed to tackle it than you will ever learn. He's black and you're not. Unless, of course, you're going to tell us you've blacked up for this particular thread. It wouldn't be the first time.
I suggest you take the knee every Saturday in your front garden at 3pm for the rest of the season and tell yourself what a great deal of good it's doing.

Brighton Sky Blue

I want to make sure the polite chattering classes who can help with change aren't allowed to forget it. Anyone irritated by footballers kneeling before games needs to ask themselves why and then go fuck themselves.

Then let’s make sure great work is put at the forefront rather than a gesture that got the ball rolling but has served its purpose. Or do we insist on kneeling before every game forever?

Tommo1993

Great statement from Ferdinand. He's probably forgotten more about racism and what is needed to tackle it than you will ever learn. He's black and you're not. Unless, of course, you're going to tell us you've blacked up for this particular thread. It wouldn't be the first time.
I suggest you take the knee every Saturday in your front garden at 3pm for the rest of the season and tell yourself what a great deal of good it's doing.

Very hard to disagree with the statement tbf.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

You total twat.

TomRad85

They don't let him in the front garden in case he shits on the lawn.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grendel

Thats a terrible post - laughing at o drivel as you know he has no idea what a front garden looks like

David O'Day

Then let’s make sure great work is put at the forefront rather than a gesture that got the ball rolling but has served its purpose. Or do we insist on kneeling before every game forever?

No one in the grand scheme of things cares about the "great" work a football club does. That in itself is not going to change anything either.

As the original kneeling protests have shown us give them an inch and they will forget it ever happened. In this meme posting, social media shallowing, buzzfeed quiz taking, 24 hour our news cycle age we need people to be constantly reminded.

Keep kneeling until you get action not platitudes.

Grendel

No one in the grand scheme of things cares about the "great" work a football club does. That in itself is not going to change anything either.

As the original kneeling protests have shown us give them an inch and they will forget it ever happened. In this meme posting, social media shallowing, buzzfeed quiz taking, 24 hour our news cycle age we need people to be constantly reminded.

I bet you did a lot of kneeling in front of your priest didn’t you David

Brighton Sky Blue

This is so confused

‘Keep kneeling until you get action not platitudes’

Kneeling is a platitude. The actions of many clubs are...actions. But you want us to focus more on a gesture than the actions you want to take place. Does anyone across the world really care that two second tier teams didn’t kneel for 5 seconds on a Friday night-probably just you and the Sky host

David O'Day

This is so confused

‘Keep kneeling until you get action not platitudes’

Kneeling is a platitude. The actions of many clubs are...actions. But you want us to focus more on a gesture than the actions you want to take place. Does anyone across the world really care that two second tier teams didn’t kneel for 5 seconds on a Friday night-probably just you and the Sky host

It's in no way confused, keep on kneeling and keep on ramming the fact as a world we are plagued by systemic and institutional racism until people take action and not give you platitudes such as "yes we feel your pain", "we support you".

So kneeling does it's job, we're still talking about it now.

Otis

Yup. Take a Knee has run its course now I feel. If the campaign for equality is to continue, it needs a fresh approach.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's in no way confused, keep on kneeling and keep on ramming the fact as a world we are plagued by systemic and institutional racism until people take action and not give you platitudes such as "yes we feel your pain", "we support you".

You keep ignoring that the club being accused of not listening HAS taken action but you want them to press on with the symbolism. What a weird line of argument

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I wouldn't 'take the knee' for anyone, whether they be black, white, yellow, sky blue pink, or striped with polka dots. Why? I've been waiting years for a knee replacement operation. I'd never get back up! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Grendel

You keep ignoring that the club being accused of not listening HAS taken action but you want them to press on with the symbolism. What a weird line of argument

He’s a moron - why bother

D

Deleted member 4439

It needs practical actions to be rallied behind until they are put in place.

Which is the nub here - what policy changes are required?

Kick it out was a great campaign, it was pertinent to the arena in which it was promoted, was supported by the majority, and I don't think anybody was tired of it. The knee as an expression of solidarity with black people's oppression in the US was a great show of political solidarity, but it does have hard-line political overtones and it's time to get back to something more along the lines of KIO (as pertaining to sport).

Brighton Sky Blue

Which is the nub here - what policy changes are required?

Kick it out was a great campaign, it was pertinent to the arena in which it was promoted, was supported by the majority, and I don't think anybody was tired of it. The knee as an expression of solidarity with black people's oppression in the US was a great show of political solidarity, but it does have hard-line political overtones and it's time to get back to something more along the lines of KIO (as pertaining to sport).

In wider society, in particular the US, they need wholesale reform of policing and there are some policy based proposals around that. In sport we have more than enough strong BAME role models but it hasn't filtered down yet.

David O'Day

What are you talking about? As has already been established having a good community outreach department has nothing to do with what was a poor and lazy statement rushed out to try and counter the push back QPR were receiving.

It's not either, or is it.

You argument is madness because what you are saying is x is ok because the club do y. It's a weird flex.

Brighton Sky Blue

What are you talking about? As has already been established having a good community outreach department has nothing to do with what was a poor and lazy statement rushed out to try and counter the push back QPR were receiving.

It's not either, or is it.

You argument is madness because what you are saying is x is ok because the club do y. It's a weird flex.

Their whole argument is they already do good work in the community and the knee is losing its impact in the same way as clapping outside for the NHS did. Stopping it doesn't mean you don't care.

David O'Day

Their whole argument is they already do good work in the community and the knee is losing its impact in the same way as clapping outside for the NHS did. Stopping it doesn't mean you don't care.

And as stated what does anything else they do in the community have to do with this? All clubs will do the same.

It's not either/or is it.

RegTheDonk

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what taking a knee has done to fight racism.

The statement is spot on. It also shows morons up like you trying to call Les Ferdinand and QPR racist. It actually does more harm than good to the cause.

I see two issues with taking the knee:

1 - What was started by Colin Kaepernick as a "protest at police violence against African-Americans in the United States" has been hijacked as part of the wider political aims, as Mr Trench outlined.
2 - It's supposed to be a symbol of, as David has put it, insitutional racism. Using it here tars our police with the same brush as those gun tooters in the USA.

It will come as no surprise to many of you that I'm fairy pro police. I hear bits and bobs as I've about half a dozen "relatives" via my kids' partners families who are either coppers or PCSOs. They are all appauled at whats gone on in the US and are 100% behind grassing up any of their colleagues who display any kind of racism.

IMHO, taking the knee is a massive kick in the teeth to them and the vast, vast majority of the rest of the UK police. Of course there will be a few racists, there are in any job that's human nature. But this is saying to EVERY one of them, you are all insitutionally racist bastards, be ashamed of wearing that uniform.

And like Earlson said, what has taking the knee done to actually fight racism as opposed to the other issues QPR have come up with? I hardly think we need this to keep "ramming the fact" going by the scoreboard of deaths, descruction of propery, rioting, and shooting of both blacks and cops....I think people are quite aware there's a problem.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

This big fat paragraph in the middle is the biggest nonsense I've ever read. Congratulations.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Nah, but neither does people wearing rainbow laces mean you should feel guilty for being straight. Which sounds ridiculous, because it is.

Funnily enough I've never had someone wearing a rainbow badge tell me I should be ashamed for being straight, or 'silence is violence.'

I also see very little people drawing issue with the LBGT community compared to questioning movements such as BLM and ANTIFA. Might be worth looking into that...

Ring Of Steel

Funnily enough I've never had someone wearing a rainbow badge tell me I should be ashamed for being straight, or 'silence is violence.'

I also see very little people drawing issue with the LBGT community compared to questioning movements such as BLM and ANTIFA. Might be worth looking into that...

Are you accusing homophobes of being midgets?

Skybluefaz

Being gay is illegal in 70+ countries in the world and punishable by death in 11.

We are fortunate in that socially the vast majority of people are accepting however even in this country we still have no footballer willing to come out etc. I'd say that counts as people drawing issue with the LGBT community. I'll happily leave it there if you feel I'm getting on at you.

Users who are viewing this thread