Take the knee (1 Viewer)

SBT

I said, it was about the gesture that was the issue because it was linked to BLM and that's how people perceive it now. Much like if I said I was saluting to remember something then people perceive it as the Nazis.

So again - if black players said they wanted to start each game with 10 seconds of silence to support No Room For Racism, you'd have no problem with that? It's important enough to you that you wouldn't jump in with the usual "they're ramming it down our throats/just going through the motions" stuff? (Which was a popular criticism of BLM long before any of this political bollocks)

Nick

Administrator
So again - if black players said they wanted to start each game with 10 seconds of silence to support No Room For Racism, you'd have no problem with that? It's important enough to you that you wouldn't jump in with the usual "they're ramming it down our throats/just going through the motions" stuff? (Which was a popular criticism of BLM long before any of this political bollocks)

Find where I said any of those about BLM.

I'd have no issue with something done before each game for No Room for Racism, as I have put on another post maybe even show hard hitting short videos on screens where possible. Players, fellow fans with their stories etc. The same when there was the thing to reflect on mental health where it was literally just time to think, it was powerful.

My point has been about linking it to BLM and why people will have issues with that, taking the knee is in most people's minds linked to it as it only started over here then.

chiefdave

Oh spot on re Millwall; racists and wankers (nice analogy btw!). but can that explain Colchester, Exeter and Cambridge? And this is only with season ticket holders watching.
You explain it because every club has racist pricks, and even racists can work out how to buy a season ticket. Difference for me is how widespread it is and the reaction. We've had issues in the past and when it has been mentioned on here that something has happened at a match, be it racism, homophobia or something else, the vast majority have said the person should be identified and banned.

Not sure about Colchester, was that another one last night? But Exeter seems to have been one person who was ejected from the ground immediately and the club have said further action is pending. The booing at Cambridge seemed to be from a small number who were quickly drowned out by applause from other supporters. The Cambridge United manager described the fans booing as disgusting and an embarrassment and the club have said they are already identifying who it was and further action will be taken.

Compare that to Millwall. The club was clearly worried in advance it would happen hence the players statement. There seems to be little sign of other fans objecting to the booing, both at the match and online afterwards. Their players have now stopped taking the knee.

Nick

Administrator
You explain it because every club has racist pricks, and even racists can work out how to buy a season ticket. Difference for me is how widespread it is and the reaction. We've had issues in the past and when it has been mentioned on here that something has happened at a match, be it racism, homophobia or something else, the vast majority have said the person should be identified and banned.

Not sure about Colchester, was that another one last night? But Exeter seems to have been one person who was ejected from the ground immediately and the club have said further action is pending. The booing at Cambridge seemed to be from a small number who were quickly drowned out by applause from other supporters. The Cambridge United manager described the fans booing as disgusting and an embarrassment and the club have said they are already identifying who it was and further action will be taken.

Compare that to Millwall. The club was clearly worried in advance it would happen hence the players statement. There seems to be little sign of other fans objecting to the booing, both at the match and online afterwards. Their players have now stopped taking the knee.

The thing is though, the way the media go straight on a witchhunt can people disagree with the actual gesture (not the sentiment?)

Look at Mark Warburton and QPR for example, not many are going to say they disagree with taking the knee because the witchhunt will have them sacked and labelled as racist by the end of the week. If teams don't take the knee then football is forgotten, it is a media storm to try and slate them.

I think the Peterborough owner has said he wouldn't ban them, he would talk to them to try and find out what they disagreed with and why. That seems sensible for him, rather than just saying everybody is racist straight off the bat.

SBT

Find where I said any of those about BLM.

Warbuton was right when he said it was like clap for carers.

It has now got to the point where you have pricks like this on sky who don't realise it hasn't actually been happening in games make out it's a disgrace.

Now this silly bitch is back onto QPR.

No mention of 'it's too political' back in September - only that you didn't like the routine of it

Nick

Administrator
No mention of 'it's too political' back in September - only that you didn't like the routine of it

Go before then about BLM and see me mention the politics. Same with threads about BLM and Sky about how it should be something separate from BLM.

You have quoted me mentioning Sky having a witchhunt when we hadn't taken the knee in the previous game either.

At least do a proper job.

SBT

Go before then about BLM and see me mention the politics. Same with threads about BLM and Sky about how it should be something separate from BLM.

You have quoted me mentioning Sky having a witchhunt when we hadn't taken the knee in the previous game either.

At least do a proper job.

Huh? I asked if you would complain about players protesting before every game becoming a routine, and you said you'd have no problem with it and have never complained about it. So what was your complaint about it becoming like the clap for carers? That it was a good cause, but you felt it had already run its course?

Nick

Administrator
Huh? I asked if you would complain about players protesting before every game becoming a routine, and you said you'd have no problem with it and have never complained about it. So what was your complaint about it becoming like the clap for carers? That it was a good cause, but you felt it had already run its course?

Because it wasn't effective, hence I said play some hard hitting videos to make people take notice.

It had got like clap for carers in that nobody wanted to be the first to stop doing it without being told they hate the NHS and want to murder people. Then some people stopped and Sky went into meltdown if people didn't do it.

shmmeee

Pretty sure you can see the difference.

It's the same reason I wouldn't start something up called National Front or BNP.

Seriously, can people not grasp why there's so much confusion and why people might look at the founders of BLM in America and link things up etc? Instead of just calling everybody racist (not you btw) either educate them or change the gesture and start educating people as to why it's done and distance from the whole BLM stuff.

Except NF and BNP (there are companies called BNP by the way) were there first.

You’re picking a random person you don’t like who is using the BLM name and claiming that means everyone else who uses it is like them.

Once more for the slow kids at the back: it’s not a centrally run organisation. Anyone can set up a group and call themselves BLM. There is no evil Marxist at the top pulling the strings. It’s just a load of pissed off black people. And being just like other humans black people do not have a homogeneous political viewpoint. Some will be radical Marxists. Some will be hard line fascists. Some will be centrist dads.

Think of it like Brexit. Some want a white ethnostate. Some want the collapse of the U.K. economy for profit. Some want freer trade. Some want the second coming of Communism and see the EU as a neoliberal project. Some just believed people who said it’d mean more for the NHS. You can’t assume anything about people who support it other than they want the U.K. to leave the EU.

clint van damme

Not racist though, just hates Marxism

the latest crusade is that Lewis Hamilton shouldn't get a knighthood because he lives in a tax haven, now they may have a point, but he's far from the first Sir or Dame to live abroad or in a tax haven yet strangely I've never heard these sort of protests before, I wonder why they're singling out Hamilton?

skybluetony176

Plus Hamilton is in the top 5000 tax payers in this country.

Edit: Ah bollocks didn't see what thread this was. Fuck sake, back again.
The majority of Tory donars are non doms or have tons of cash sat off shore legally avoiding tax in the U.K.. The House of Lords is full such characters and I dare say there’s more than a few in Parliament too. Sir Jackie Stewart also lives in a tax exile. But heavens forbid a black lad from a council estate should do it and still qualify for a knighthood.

Liquid Gold

They have to stop taking the knee now

The ground is all cold and it’s not fair on them, every body knows Marxism enters the body through a cold knee.

skybluetony176

They have to stop taking the knee now

The ground is all cold and it’s not fair on them, every body knows Marxism enters the body through a cold knee.
Footballers suffer from dodgy knees in later life as it is. They really aren’t doing themselves any favours kneeling on a cold surface ;)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

Attachments

• 20220404_092105.jpg
    20220404_092105.jpg
    954.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220415_220027.jpg
    20220415_220027.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 14
  • Scar 1.png
    Scar 1.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 14

Houchens Head

Hope your recovery is going well Houch.
Sometimes wish I'd never had it done! Still bloody painful after two years! Now my other knee is going the same way. That'll learn me not to play footy into my mid 40's! 😩

Sbarcher

Sometimes wish I'd never had it done! Still bloody painful after two years! Now my other knee is going the same way. That'll learn me not to play footy into my mid 40's! 😩
I’m now 2 knees and 1 hip. Also probably caused by too much running when younger. First week down and starting to feel a little easier now. Not helped by my wife rushed to hospital with a suspected stroke ( thankfully just a massive blood pressure surge) so had to try and look after myself for 2days. Luckily ready meals in the fridge came to my aid. There’s not much left of my remaining hip but now reluctant to go through it all again.

rob9872

I’m now 2 knees and 1 hip. Also probably caused by too much running when younger. First week down and starting to feel a little easier now. Not helped by my wife rushed to hospital with a suspected stroke ( thankfully just a massive blood pressure surge) so had to try and look after myself for 2days. Luckily ready meals in the fridge came to my aid. There’s not much left of my remaining hip but now reluctant to go through it all again.
The bionic man 👍

Houchens Head

Bloody hell! Looks like we've both been going through the same thing! I'd only been out of hospital a few days, still on crutches, when my missus had a massive stroke! She spent the next 8 weeks in 3 different hospitals (Worcester Royal, Queen Elizabeth's and Evesham). Her mental state has suffered and I'm now her full time carer. Been a nightmare couple of years! How's your missus now? Is she okay? Just bless each day as it comes mate.

Sbarcher

Bloody hell! Looks like we've both been going through the same thing! I'd only been out of hospital a few days, still on crutches, when my missus had a massive stroke! She spent the next 8 weeks in 3 different hospitals (Worcester Royal, Queen Elizabeth's and Evesham). Her mental state has suffered and I'm now her full time carer. Been a nightmare couple of years! How's your missus now? Is she okay? Just bless each day as it comes mate.
Much better, BP back to normal but seems to have picked up some sort of infection when in hospital. She’s off to the surgery later this morning. Feel pretty useless as I’m not able to help. It’s shit getting old!

olderskyblue

What it was like….

where we playing Sunday?
chatted up that blonde lass from the offices last night
going to strip the engine down tomorrow, give it a de-coke
im going for a run later, probably do 5 miles or so, then up the pub
getting Home at 2.30am pissed
Up the pub at 10am and walk to the match at 2.30pm.
bouncing Up and down in the west end.
that was a great party last night

what it’s like when you’re an old un

Which bit of you is hurting today?
what tablets you on?
The consultant I saw was very good…
cars making a funny noise, better get it looked at
getting annoyed when people stand up in front of you at the match
going for a walk later, probably do 1/2 mile or so
bit loud in here

and lots more :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Houchens Head

Much better, BP back to normal but seems to have picked up some sort of infection when in hospital. She’s off to the surgery later this morning. Feel pretty useless as I’m not able to help. It’s shit getting old!
I agree. I retired early due to health reasons. I'm coming up to 71 and get bored out of my skull some days. I can't even do voluntary work because I have to care for the missus. Still, keeping up with the City helps! Hopefully a good result tonight eh!

Users who are viewing this thread