Sheaf (2 Viewers)

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Because he’s not match fit
No insinuations in this, just confused by the way this conversation is going, are you saying you don't think he will be first team quality and therefore will be a squad player? There's been a lot of talk that Kelly coming back and being the glue that sticks us together, I really hope everyone is right but I feel slightly hesitant with that theory. I absolutely love Kelly, and I don't doubt his leadership skills, but I would be lying if I wasn't previously concerned about his ability to step up to the Championship. He was one of the first team players I was most concerned by, as he's not the quickest nor the most technical. Although I very much hope my worries are misplaced. Annoyingly I have only caught the QPR and Bournemouth games so far, so don't feel I have a fair say on Sheaf's ability or how long it may take him to get up to speed, but I am really worried about our midfield given some comments on here (although will take the most damning ones with a pinch of salt). Hamer looks like he has quality but is going to be a liablity when it comes to discipline, I have question marks over Kelly, I have much bigger question marks over Shipley and it sounds like some people think Sheaf will be replaced by Kelly once fit.

shmmeee

No insinuations in this, just confused by the way this conversation is going, are you saying you don't think he will be first team quality and therefore will be a squad player? There's been a lot of talk that Kelly coming back and being the glue that sticks us together, I really hope everyone is right but I feel slightly hesitant with that theory. I absolutely love Kelly, and I don't doubt his leadership skills, but I would be lying if I wasn't previously concerned about his ability to step up to the Championship. He was one of the first team players I was most concerned by, as he's not the quickest nor the most technical. Although I very much hope my worries are misplaced. Annoyingly I have only caught the QPR and Bournemouth games so far, so don't feel I have a fair say on Sheaf's ability or how long it may take him to get up to speed, but I am really worried about our midfield given some comments on here (although will take the most damning ones with a pinch of salt). Hamer looks like he has quality but is going to be a liablity when it comes to discipline, I have question marks over Kelly, I have much bigger question marks over Shipley and it sounds like some people think Sheaf will be replaced by Kelly once fit.

All I’m saying really is that Dabo and Walsh despite not being 100% went into the side because they were clearly more talented than those in that position in the squad. Hamer the same. When he’s fit he’ll play.

Sheaf is growing on me TBH, but my worry with him Hilßner and Walker is they’re much of a muchness with the other players in their position rather than a step up in quality.

Frostie

Yeah exactly, Robins was very clear that Sheaf was his number 1 transfer target so to suggest he's then not going to be in & around the first team is utterly nonsensical.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeah exactly, Robins was very clear that Sheaf was his number 1 transfer target so to suggest he's then not going to be in & around the first team is utterly nonsensical.

He said something like that, but doesn’t mean he didn’t have the future in mind when making this transfer.

Kelly is the club captain, and Hamer was signed for in and around £1m. Sheaf is clearly going to important because Kelly struggles with fitness, and this season we often have 2 games a week. Kelly clearly isn’t going to be able to play in every game, so it’s important to have a good 3rd choice option.

I believe Sheaf will start as 3rd choice, but will very much grow into his role and eventually start. He looks a good player, just needs to cut silly misplaced passes out.

fernandopartridge

In fairness to Sheaf, he's a definite step up from Kelly as an attacking force. I think he's had shots on target in all of his games so far. He should have pulled it back for Godden who was screaming for it (you can hear it on the highlights) when he had that shot in the first half

Frostie

In fairness to Sheaf, he's a definite step up from Kelly as an attacking force. I think he's had shots on target in all of his games so far. He should have pulled it back for Godden who was screaming for it (you can hear it on the highlights) when he had that shot in the first half

Yeah, he's far more progressive than Kelly, despite his errors everything good we did vs Brentford went through him. Kelly obviously brings a different skillset with his tenacity & leadership & historically we miss him when he doesn't play. I think both of them & Hamer will all play a significant amount, perhaps even all together on occasion.

Bertola

I've been quite critical of Sheaf, but i thought Saturday was his best game for us so far, despite being isolated by Allen and O'Hare both looking like they didnt know what they were supposed to be doing with the change in formation.

He still gav the ball away sloppily at times, but there was different improvements

Bertola

Baka made the same run as Godden, and probably blocked him off, he did well with the shot i thought

Speedies_Chips

Sheaf looked a lot fitter and he wanted to play progressive passes yesterday and the options just weren't there. He should have had 6 options in front of him: 2 wing backs, 2 strikers and 2 10s. Instead the wing backs were deeper than him, Godden was in the pocket of the centre backs who walked him high up the pitch because they knew he was too slow to get in behind and the entire midfield was compressed.

What Sheaf needed as a minimum was a player with more pace, like Bakayoko, looking to get in behind so that he had an out ball. The game changes if that happens, they either keep playing high and we get in behind or they start to drop deeper to prevent it, the midfield opens up and the wingbacks can get forward or the 10s get space for the shorter pass.

I said after Bournemouth game that i can't see the formation lasting the season. We're unlucky with the way the fixtures have fallen. The wingbacks are key to us but before we've had any real success with the formation, even the poorer teams will see how a high press and pinning the wingbacks back in our own half neuters the formation.
I’ve seen a few posters refer to Bakayoko’s pace. Can’t say I’ve ever seen examples of it on show. When did he do this please?

shmmeee

I’ve seen a few posters refer to Bakayoko’s pace. Can’t say I’ve ever seen examples of it on show. When did he do this please?

We rarely use it, but in player interviews he’s identified along with Giles as the fastest at the club and in pre season training videos of sprinting he was neck and neck with Giles so he’s clearly got it. You can see in the few goals where he’s slipped through and more often in how quickly he closes defenders.

Hobo

Sheaf has a lot of attributes but is not the finisjed article. Fans need to appreciate that is the sort of player our budget can afford.

It means a players like Sheaf, Hamer, Hillsner and Walker need to be given a good 12 to 18 months before we really judge them.

I don't feel too panicky about Sheaf at this early stage, in fact I think there are many positives - I think he will come good given time and support.

Londonccfcfan

Spot my thoughts too about Kelly.
Sheaf is a quality accusation. I think he's done ok so far, harsh to judge him and make him scapegoat after last 2 games.

cc84cov

I’ve been critical of him so far but I want to see him alongside Kelly I think that will bring it the best in him

Magwitch

Find this thread with a lot negativity toward young Sheaf strange but not surprising I suppose, he has done ok generally imo against some good old head midfielders too learning on the hoof and is clearly one for the future along with Hamer, Giles and O’Hare We can and will consolidate this season and those four plus others armed with 12 month championship experience will make them and us better. Get Kelly fit and playing regular will be a massive help, I’m just glad we are behind closed doors at the moment while these kids play and develop and not have the pressure of crowds on their backs.

lifeskyblue

Agree sheaf has done more than ok considering the run of opposition and unable to benefit from Hamer and/or kelly alongside to give guidance. I’m hopeful that by Christmas we will see more of his capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread