Robins has to go in the summer / 02476 555 555 (2 Viewers)

Evo1883

For most of the first half of the season it wasn't working and we weren't creating enough.

Playing 2 defensive midfielders that rarely went out of our half at home when chasing the game was a common one he liked to do.

If memory serves me correctly , we dominated most matches early on but couldn’t put the ball away .
Then we had the unfortunate injuries of andreu and jones ,2 key players at the time .
He adapted the squad , and towards Christmas our form was indifferent , after Christmas though we had very good form through until the end with the occasional blip , we lost 6 in 25

Reactions: vow

Evo1883

The people calling for Robins to go are he same deluded people that believe Cov are still a big premiership team

We average less than Barnsley at home , the days of pretending we are a big club are long gone .

I’m just not quite sure I understand what fans are asking for ? Do they want him gone or do they not ? Very vague in the comments on here

Nick

Administrator
If memory serves me correctly , we dominated most matches early on but couldn’t put the ball away .
Then we had the unfortunate injuries of andreu and jones ,2 key players at the time .
He adapted the squad , and towards Christmas our form was indifferent , after Christmas though we had very good form through until the end with the occasional blip , we lost 6 in 25

We didn't really create many actual clear cut chances, it was the theme for most of the first half. He was very cautious, changing it around is why Kelly looked a different player towards the end of the season when he seemed to have more freedom.

Colchester at home, FGR at home etc etc.

Evo1883

We didn't really create many actual clear cut chances, it was the theme for most of the first half. He was very cautious, changing it around is why Kelly looked a different player towards the end of the season when he seemed to have more freedom.

But the moral of the story bud is that it worked , as we got promoted

Evo1883

I mean in general on the forum and on social media , I can’t work out wether fans are asking for him to leave or asking for him to sort it out .

I too had issues with robins last season ,didn’t always agree with things and vented things in frustration after losing games to forest green away and Yeovil at home .
But when all is said and done he eventually delivered .
So he earned fans respect and we should afford him time to get things right this season

Evo1883

Yes when he eventually decided to change things about a bit. (or got lucky)

You don’t get lucky over 46 matches , I went to 41 of the 46 league matches last season and felt like we dominated matches an awful lot , I often moaned that he couldn’t find a way as we were playing teams off the park but not getting the right results , couldn’t break teams down who sat deep . then he mixed it up often went more direct and the results came with the occasional blip .
I’ve always had issues with his substitutions though , more to do with the fact it’s always on the 70th minute irrespective of performance

Nick

Administrator
I mean in general on the forum and on social media , I can’t work out wether fans are asking for him to leave or asking for him to sort it out .

I too had issues with robins last season ,didn’t always agree with things and vented things in frustration after losing games to forest green away and Yeovil at home .
But when all is said and done he eventually delivered .
So he earned fans respect and we should afford him time to get things right this season

I'm saying sort it out rather than sack him.

What annoys me isn't just the results, it's the manner of everything. The way he doesn't know what his best team is, the way he talks like it is still pre season.

I can understand players coming late on in the transfer window, it happened to loads of teams. Robins had already changed his preferred formation by then and pissed about in our friendlies.

It's as if the players were out on the beer until the first week before the season started and they are picking formations out of a hat.

Nick

Administrator
You don’t get lucky over 46 matches , I went to 41 of the 46 league matches last season and felt like we dominated matches an awful lot , I often moaned that he couldn’t find a way as we were playing teams off the park but not getting the right results , then he mixed it up often went more direct and the results came with the occasional blip .
I’ve always had issues with his substitutions though , more to do with the fact it’s always on the 70th minute irrespective of performance

The thing is though is that we couldn't break teams down. We might well have dominated possession and kept clean sheets but now we aren't even doing that.

You can get lucky if something falls into place by luck though. I don't believe anybody could watch the Wimbledon game for more than 5 minutes and think it's a valid tactic to have somebody stood on their own and us just aimlessly hammering it forward.

robbiekeane

I'm saying sort it out rather than sack him.

What annoys me isn't just the results, it's the manner of everything. The way he doesn't know what his best team is, the way he talks like it is still pre season.

I can understand players coming late on in the transfer window, it happened to loads of teams. Robins had already changed his preferred formation by then and pissed about in our friendlies.

It's as if the players were out on the beer until the first week before the season started and they are picking formations out of a hat.
Its so frustrating. I wish we had a decent interviewer who could ask him the blatant questions

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s been 4 league games and we haven’t even got some of our best players back from injury yet.

Evo1883

The thing is though is that we couldn't break teams down. We might well have dominated possession and kept clean sheets but now we aren't even doing that.

You can get lucky if something falls into place by luck though. I don't believe anybody could watch the Wimbledon game for more than 5 minutes and think it's a valid tactic to have somebody stood on their own and us just aimlessly hammering it forward.

I agree that the current system is not working at all .
It’s also why I don’t want to judge offayoko too harshly as id like to see how he works with a partner .

Hopefully that game was the straw that broke the camels back and changes to the system are coming

NortonSkyBlue

Robins and the players need to look at their performance. Robins doesn't send players out and say pass to the opposition or play badly.
Yes we have had a few weeks less than the rest to prepare for the season and I believe he has changed the team too quickly but give him some time and hopefully it will click.

Evo1883

Darren huckerby loved an offside , but even I admit last night was farcical at times it was constant

Nick

Administrator
I agree that the current system is not working at all .
It’s also why I don’t want to judge offayoko too harshly as id like to see how he works with a partner .

Hopefully that game was the straw that broke the camels back and changes to the system are coming

He didn't look too bad with Andreu against Plymouth, that's why it is baffling to then go from that to playing aimless hoofs up towards him like we did against Wimbledon.

Biamou going off ruined his plan and he didn't know how to change it.

better days

I see Gary Johnson has been sacked by Cheltenham
Typical football and resonates a bit with us
They sell their goal scorer so have the money but the manager has to find a way of still getting results
Four games in he's sacked
It's insane

SkyBlueRuffian

The clock is ticking again Robins.... sell your top goal scorer without a replacement lined up is sacrilege and now it’s costing you. The scatter-gun approach to recruitment does not work either and now the squad is falling out with you, bad times.

Nick

Administrator
Ah shit, I have just merged the 02476 555 555 thread into this one by mistake. Apologies!

Corrado

The clock is ticking again Robins.... sell your top goal scorer without a replacement lined up is sacrilege and now it’s costing you. The scatter-gun approach to recruitment does not work either and now the squad is falling out with you, bad times.
Do you actually believe it was Robbins who sold McNulty?

Covstu

I honestly think that you can bring in too many players and that take times to gel into a workable team, whether it fits the system then that's a different matter down the line. The amount of signings we had brought in feels like he had little trust and confidence in some of last years players (Grimmer, Burge and Shipley jump to mind). With this its feels like the feel good factor of promotion has gone with it a little.
Some roles needed to be filled, left back, replacement for Doyle eventually, centre half etc but seems like he wasn't happy with anyone. I hated the loan system we used to play in replacing half of the squad with new strangers each 6/12 months but we now seem to be doing it with permanent players instead. Just feels like he has dicked around too much with the team unnecessarily.

It is going to take us 10 games to get into a position where we look decent in my opinion but I hope he doesn't continue to chop and change otherwise this could be longer. Still optimistic of a top half finish but I think the current performances show exactly how good we are in the league.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I honestly think that you can bring in too many players and that take times to gel into a workable team, whether it fits the system then that's a different matter down the line. The amount of signings we had brought in feels like he had little trust and confidence in some of last years players (Grimmer, Burge and Shipley jump to mind). With this its feels like the feel good factor of promotion has gone with it a little.
Some roles needed to be filled, left back, replacement for Doyle eventually, centre half etc but seems like he wasn't happy with anyone. I hated the loan system we used to play in replacing half of the squad with new strangers each 6/12 months but we now seem to be doing it with permanent players instead. Just feels like he has dicked around too much with the team unnecessarily.

It is going to take us 10 games to get into a position where we look decent in my opinion but I hope he doesn't continue to chop and change otherwise this could be longer. Still optimistic of a top half finish but I think the current performances show exactly how good we are in the league.

I agree, I don't think we look like a team that's still got the promotion bounce at all. I would have stuck with Grimmer, Burge and Shipley and challenged the new signings to force their way into the team. From what I've seen so far, Agogo and Brown are the only players that have added value to us and improved the team. Players like Bakyaoko for example, I'm struggling with. Biamou is a better target man that Bakyaoko and Ponticelli is a better finisher than Bakayoko, so why on earth have we signed him?

It's the first time Mark Robins has taken a team up so maybe it's a learning curve for him too.

Magwitch

No way should Robins be sacked, yet, last season he had to bring in about 10 new players, most did okay and a similar amount this season pretty well on a one out, one in basis. See where we are at after 10 league games we have some tough ones coming up against fancied teams and we’ve a couple of players yet to feature. There are obvious changes to our line up to make and perhaps some tough decisions to make on two or three.

Users who are viewing this thread