Robins has to go in the summer / 02476 555 555 (6 Viewers)

Otis

I agree I think some fans are guilty of burying their heads in the sand by using the excuse "it's still early yet" or "the team need to bed in". Both valid comments completely, but realistically how long can those excuses be used for before they're spent? After 10 games, 15 games? There are too many indications of unrest to suggest that Ryton is a happy camp at the minute. At the end of the day just look at it from a humanistic experience. If you were being played in a formation that clearly didn't work would you be happy? I know I certainly wouldn't be. There's certainly no need for a knee jerk reaction by any means, but the issues surrounding the squad need to be stamped out quickly, otherwise I fear this will snowball and the club could find itself in deep water.
Yes, 10-15 games, not 5.

SkyBlueCRJ

Yes, 10-15 games, not 5.

10, yes. Definitely wouldn't say 15 games. Most people within football suggest that the table starts to take a rough shape after 10 games. If MR can't figure out what formation best suits our players by then, then god help him if he's given another 5 to figure it out.

ccfcway

Would we take Gary Johnson if Robins was to be sacked/leave? Always been impressed by him. I remember him turning us down while he was at Yeovil, we rarely ever beat his sides and he’s done a decent job at Cheltenham all things considered

well, he would be cheap as he's now out of work as Cheltenham disagree with you :)

fernandopartridge

What utter shite "saved by McNulty" - most successful teams have a player who scores 20+. He needed a team around him to assist in those goals. Likewise McGoldrick when he was here.

Hobo

Slade is the only example of it not working. Often the club survived in the 80’s by dumping managers when they were nosediving

We only had 6 managers in the 1980's.
2001-2010 15 managers
2010-2018 11 managers
Funny how our demise has gone hand in hand with a high turnover of managers.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Robins has hardly managed a club above league 1
We're not above league 1 so that doesn't matter at all does it. ? Unlike one Mr Tony Mowbray.
We're no longer a big club many people think we are. Our owners have seen to that. We haven't got the resources to sustain ourselves in the championship and so league 1 is currently about as good as we are going to get.
If robins gets us into the top 6 it will be a bloody miracle. Mid table is probably what we should expect this time round and avoiding relegation , though not acceptable , might be where we are this season.
We never set league 2 alight last season but managed to claw our way out. Until we find more fire power up front we will struggle, but to be calling for robins to be sacked already is ridiculous.

Grendel

2001-2010 15 managers
2010-2018 11 managers

Well it hasn’t as we were relegated from the premier league with a long standing manager and from the championship with a shite one.

Grendel

We're not above league 1 so that doesn't matter at all does it. ? Unlike one Mr Tony Mowbray.
We're no longer a big club many people think we are. Our owners have seen to that. We haven't got the resources to sustain ourselves in the championship and so league 1 is currently about as good as we are going to get.
If robins gets us into the top 6 it will be a bloody miracle. Mid table is probably what we should expect this time round and avoiding relegation , though not acceptable , might be where we are this season.
We never set league 2 alight last season but managed to claw our way out. Until we find more fire power up front we will struggle, but to be calling for robins to be sacked already is ridiculous.

Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe last season suggest it wouldn’t be a bloody miracle.

stay_up_skyblues

Is there any documentary evidence of Robins “losing the dressing room” or “player unrest” ? Or is all of this based on something that someone’s mate said to someone’s mate? Or the A.V. podcast which, in reality, owes nothing to that stance?

It’s four games and four points. Not great no, but we’ve just come up. Settle down. Same as if we won those four games we also wouldn’t be in promotion contention.

Wait and see. If we are near relegation come Christmas then our owners will pull the trigger, one thing they don’t mind doing. Get behind the team until then.

Grendel

Is there any documentary evidence of Robins “losing the dressing room” or “player unrest” ? Or is all of this based on something that someone’s mate said to someone’s mate? Or the A.V. podcast which, in reality, owes nothing to that stance?

It’s four games and four points. Not great no, but we’ve just come up. Settle down. Same as if we won those four games we also wouldn’t be in promotion contention.

Wait and see. If we are near relegation come Christmas then our owners will pull the trigger, one thing they don’t mind doing. Get behind the team until then.

Our owners are generally hopeless at pulling the trigger

ccfcway

I find it amusing because 12 months on its the same posts.....'We're shit, Robins doesn't know what he's doing for example'..........You ?

not even 12 months ago. This thread started in April, the month before we went to Wembley and won promotion !!

Last edited:

Otis

I find it amusing because 12 months on its the same posts.....'We're shit, Robins doesn't know what he's doing for example'..........You ?
No, I don't think Ricketts is shit. Don't know if he knows what he's doing or not though.

I will ask his missus when he's at work.

pipkin73

So Mr signed as our new manager in League 1, we were already gone so he played attacking football to try and keep us up. Made a good try of it but we were to far behind by then. Last season he tried defensive footy and got no where, then when it looked like the play-offs were gone he changed to attacking mode as nothing to lose.
We all know what happened, we started smashing teams.
Then he starts defensive again. He seems to think this is the best option but all our best results have came under him being an attacking manager/coach. Wish he would set us up as an attacking team as he seems good at this, he is just to cautious by nature.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe last season suggest it wouldn’t be a bloody miracle.
We're not Shrewsbury nor Scunthorpe.

cc84cov

Talk of him losing the dressing room...anyone think if this was the case it could be down to the fact the way last seasons players have been treated in some cases ? Stokes told he can leave,Grimmer,Shipley just dropped 1st choice keeper Burge on the bench (maybe injured)

For me the lads who got us promoted should of been given their chance.How was robins gonna keep “momentum” when he made so many changes.I would like to see us go back to 4-4-2 as close to last season team as poss and go from there.hes made so many changes players & system how does he know where to go next now it’s gone wrong.

Otis

Keep hearing talk of him losing the dressing room, can anyone show me where this has come from.
Just a case of 2+2+2+2+2=5.

Seems a few people have heard little rumours and if course if you put them all together that then makes out for something seemingly a lot more solid.

Personally, I have no idea.

I guess if LOB plays again tomorrow that will strengthen those rumours further, as Burge really ought to be back in.

BackRoomRummermill

Just a case of 2+2+2+2+2=5.

Seems a few people have heard little rumours and if course if you put them all together that then makes out for something seemingly a lot more solid.

Personally, I have no idea.

I guess if LOB plays again tomorrow that will strengthen those rumours further, as Burge really ought to be back in.

I find it strange a manager falling out with a keeper

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

2001-2010 15 managers
2010-2018 11 managers

Different expectations. Losing regularly in the PL was considered OK as long as we stayed up. After relegation we were expecting better, but were often also rans or in danger. Yes, that's also to do with financial troubles but if a manager is losing games and doesn't look like turning it around what option do you have other than change the manager.

Over the years we've seemed to be a club where many players think doing the bare minimum is sufficient - it's only Cov so they don't expect too much. So many years we could have pushed on after decent starts only to drop away as the players seemed to either get complacent or feel that was enough to reach the minimum standard required. Infuriating.

There are numerous instances of this club looking down and out and a change of manager has led to a sufficient upturn in results to stay up. We got relegated from the PL with our 4th longest serving manager in history.

Arsenal - Wenger won the PL 3 times in the first half of his tenure. None in the last half and has left them looking barely borderline good enough for Europa League. Surely with such stability they should've been walking it?

Alex Ferguson was one loss away from the sack and had to win a trophy to be given the opportunity to create the legacy he did (some of which was down to the good fortune of WHEN he did it - just as the PL/Sky revolution occured - and the fortune of a youth system set up before his tenure bore the fruit of the class of '92. If he hadn't carried on winning those trophies would he have had that long in the job - of course not.

It is a total fallacy that stability leads to success. Success leads to stability.

Hobo

From what I have heard it is all rumour with a big dollop of speculation.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Is there any documentary evidence of Robins “losing the dressing room” or “player unrest” ? Or is all of this based on something that someone’s mate said to someone’s mate?
I bumped into MR wandering around, looking lost and trying different doors along the corridors at the Ricoh. I called out to him "Are you alright, Mark?"
"I've lost the dressing room!" he called back as he carried on trying other doors!

Users who are viewing this thread