Robins has to go in the summer / 02476 555 555 (3 Viewers)

oucho

Genuine question here - what do people think would represent failure this season?

Bottom half finish?

Relegation battle?

Failure to challenge for top 6?

Otis

Genuine question here - what do people think would represent failure this season?

Bottom half finish?

Relegation battle?

Failure to challenge for top 6?
Bottom half finish would be disappointing, but I would definitely see a relegation battle as a failure.

JulianDarbyFTW

Bottom half finish would be disappointing, but I would definitely see a relegation battle as a failure.

Given the noise from the club about pushing for another promotion, anything other than top half may well be a failure from the boardroom side. From a personal perspective, I'm with you on the relegation battle. Truth be told, that's what I'm now expecting (mid-table was my original expectation).

covcity4life

i dont think the squad is bad, its the tactics

why do we play hoof?
why is striker always on his own?
why dont we have pace on wing?
why do we have 2 deystroyers in centremid?
why not get a experienced keeper?

all questions to be asked of robins

we did live off mcnultys magic alot last season, i dont remember many games where i came away thinking we are much better than the opposition,and that was league 2

love what robins has done for us and he needs more time but i miss mowbray

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator

why do we play hoof?
why is striker always on his own?
why dont we have pace on wing?
why do we have 2 deystroyers in centremid?
why not get a experienced keeper?

all questions to be asked of robins

we did live of mcnultys magic alot last season, i dont remember many games where i came away thinking we are much better than the opposition,and that was league 2

We put Thomas out wide who does have pace, watching him last night it looked like he felt he also had to play centre mid as well the way he was drifting in to cover.

Did we actually get a single cross in?

OffenhamSkyBlue

I really wish we'd have kept Stokes. He looked the part when we were in L1 before, he can cover the middle too and from the outside he seemed an integral part of the good squad atmosphere last season. I also didn't understand why we shipped Blair Adams out when we did either, we must be going for some kind of world record for leftbacks.
Along with the views of Shrews fans who reckon Ryan Haynes may be their player of the season. I always rated him, but he didn't get enough of a consistent run in the side to endear himself to others.

robbiekeane

Just saying....

None of this seems to have changed at all. He needs to fix it and quick. It's not a player here or there needing to settle in, its massive alarm bells about Robins' ability to change tactics and respond to games where it's not going our way.

cc84cov

I think Robins needs to put his foot down him & Seppala have always had a good relationship I think a fresh Assistsnt who’s not trying to rule the roost & he needs to sort out recruitment,how can the manager not be the one recruiting players Its never going to work.

covcity4life

We put Thomas out wide who does have pace, watching him last night it looked like he felt he also had to play centre mid as well the way he was drifting in to cover.

Did we actually get a single cross in?
yup he ddint hug wing, was centre mid at times. thats bad management not rectify that early

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I know i'll get lynched for saying this but he's not the man to take us forward.

He's proven time and time again this season that he's incapable of switching to a plan B.

He makes laughable substitutions far far too late in games to have any impact. Why?

He can't fix the simple things that cost us points and he seems to have zero learning agility.

He's set up defensively against shit teams, he constantly plays players out of position (even after when he's forced to play them in position they have a much better game).

He refuses to drop shit players like Burge and Haynes.

Even if we by the grace of god fluke it through the playoffs (if we make it) and get promoted, I still don't think he's the man to take us forwards. If countless people on a football forum can see things, how can't he when he's paid (with our ticket money) to focus on nothing but the football team?

What a load of shite.

Otis

We were never going to get promoted this season, its all about adapting to a new league with the basis of the same Div 2 squad. No need to panic just yet.
Give it 10 games and see where we are.

We should have much more of an idea of whether the team has gelled and the tactics have started to come together by then.

I'm still in Wembley play-off victory mode, so are not worried much at all and am quite chilled at the moment.

Give it time.

steve cooper

We were never going to get promoted this season, its all about adapting to a new league with the basis of the same Div 2 squad. No need to panic just yet.
Its not really about panicking or adapting to a new league though is it? There is clearly something wrong at the club which, unless sorted quickly will drag us down. We had money to spend in the close season, and it's not unreasonable to expect the majority of that to be spent wisely on players that fit a certain, pre-determined system which should have been settled on before the season started.

Joy Division

If Robins had the players that Mowbray had in his first season we'd be in a lot better position I would have thought.

Reactions: vow

Evo1883

First and foremost bakayoko needs a partner because 1 upfront is awful and simply not going to work .
Second we need to remove sterling from the side as he’s frankly not good enough at all and jack grimmer , a player who already has understanding with players like bayliss and Doyle needs to be back in .
Players need to be played in their correct position too .

Who plays 1 upfront when you can’t score goals , it’s bizarre and seems very strange and out of character for robins to persist with a system and players that don’t work

Nick

Administrator
First and foremost bakayoko needs a partner because 1 upfront is awful and simply not going to work .
Second we need to remove sterling from the side as he’s frankly not good enough at all and jack grimmer , a player who already has understanding with players like bayliss and Doyle needs to be back in .
Players need to be played in their correct position too .

Who plays 1 upfront when you can’t score goals , it’s bizarre and seems very strange and out of character for robins to persist with a system and players that don’t work

I don't think it is that out of character as he did the same last season.

If something worked then it was a bonus, during a game if it wasn't working then it was very rare that he changed it and the game changed.

He found something that clicked with McNulty playing off Biamou. He had then decided to change it all even before McNulty went as he was looking to play 3-5-2 with wingbacks, now he has changed it again.

Evo1883

I don't think it is that out of character as he did the same last season.

If something worked then it was a bonus, during a game if it wasn't working then it was very rare that he changed it and the game changed.

Well it’s hard to say I agree with you .
You have to remember we probably finished as was expected within the budget we had as opposed to a few teams , we started the season slowly (as we are doing now )

I’m not really sure how we can imply that robins negatively effected the team all that much as we got promoted , did he make mistakes ? Of course , we’re his substitutions sometimes too late and bizarre ? Of course .

But I don’t remember him sticking with something that never worked game after game

Nick

Administrator
To be fair he's right.
How can you say we have no plan B? We've already tried more formations than the Red Arrows. What he doesn't seem to have at the moment is any semblance of a plan that works effectively.

It's not really a plan B though because he tries random things. It's more desperate, Oxford the perfect example.

Evo1883

I’m more interested in that interview I heard with our number 2 .
If he’s having too much influence and it’s negatively affecting the team and results , he must go before robins

Nick

Administrator
Well it’s hard to say I agree with you .
You have to remember we probably finished as was expected within the budget we had as opposed to a few teams , we started the season slowly (as we are doing now )

I’m not really sure how we can imply that robins negatively effected the team all that much as we got promoted , did he make mistakes ? Of course , we’re his substitutions sometimes too late and bizarre ? Of course .

But I don’t remember him sticking with something that never worked game after game

For most of the first half of the season it wasn't working and we weren't creating enough.

Playing 2 defensive midfielders that rarely went out of our half at home when chasing the game was a common one he liked to do.

He can very rarely do things during a game that makes an impact. If it clicks then it clicks but if something isn't working he often looks lost.

Joy Division

Its not really about panicking or adapting to a new league though is it? There is clearly something wrong at the club which, unless sorted quickly will drag us down. We had money to spend in the close season, and it's not unreasonable to expect the majority of that to be spent wisely on players that fit a certain, pre-determined system which should have been settled on before the season started.

We've played 5 games. It's not looking great at the moment but lets see where we are after another 5.

clint van damme

It's not really a plan B though because he tries random things. It's more desperate, Oxford the perfect example.

which is kind of my point it's not like we have a viable plan A with no back up, we don't appear to have any viable plan at all. Perhaps getting one would be a starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread