Robins has to go in the summer / 02476 555 555 (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
come on. Reason I post against it is because I disagree. League two clubs make mistakes every game, so why should we be any different. If we conceded that 1st goal last Friday, there would have been a meltdown on here, but reality is all clubs in the division concede them

I don't believe complaining about a dodgy corner or throw in from a league two club is productive as its going to happen.

I'd rather celebrate the corner we scored from last Friday or the fact we are 7th with a chance of promotion.

I don't agree with "it happens every game" comments as if it did how on earth are we still 7th, and if it does and we are still 7th, it shows our players are suited to this level and competing.

I disagree with the notion of us having to harm or injury players from the other team as I think we are better than that and its not the sort of football I would want to watch and support.

I disagree with the calls from MR to bring on a sub as soon as we go a goal down, as I believe he knows better than me how to manage a football club

In short Nick, there is plenty I disagree with, but surely that's what a forum is for ?

How many other teams we have played consistently struggle to take simple throw ins?

It's pretty obvious when I say get into players or put bad tackles in I don't mean end their career, I mean stop being such pussies and getting bullied and get into the game just as they are with us rather than just getting battered around the pitch and taking it.

Sadly, it has been shown all season that MR doesn't know how to deal or react to going behind in games. Yes in some games we manage to come back to get a draw, the very rare occasion we win from being in a losing position.

You can't use "It's league 2" as an excuse for not being able to take a corner or a throw in. These are people who play the sport full time as a living, it isn't like it's down watching Sunday League wondering why their midfielder can't put a corner on the penalty spot every time.

Nick

Administrator
so how is that MR fault that full time footballers cant throw a ball ?

1. He signed the majority of the squad.
2. He is in charge of training isn't he? If he notices a player struggles to take a throw in then work on it in training.
3. Have a look at letting players other than full backs take a throw in at some point if they can take a quick one, rather than slowing the game right down if we are chasing a game. If shipley runs over to get the ball, maybe let him take it quickly rather than him hold it, wait for haynes to trot up, throw it to haynes and then the act begins. (Same on the righth and side).

Using "League 2" as not being able to do the basics isn't really going to work. It's not like it's expecting some high level world class skill.

skybluetony176

The notion that he has no plan B is laughable. Aside from the fact that he’s had to change our style and formation to accommodate two major injuries ( so we’re up to two plans already) of late we’ve been playing Doyle and Kelly further forward which has created more chances but also made us look more exposed at the back as Lincoln showed last night. So now you’re up to three different plans before you even go into the even less subtle changes of changing formations during games.

Moving Doyle and Kelly has exposed our biggest weakness and it’s defence not attack and that’s easily addressed by pulling them back into a more holding position strengthening our defence.

He has to plan around the limitations of the squad he’s been able to assemble. Plan A, B, C all the way up to Z is irrelevant. We only need one plan and that’s the plan that makes the team most effective so we can grind out results to get us to Wembley. If that means a dreary 0-0 draw followed by dreary 1-0 win and then repeated over the two legs followed by another dreary 1-0 win at Wembley then I’d take that any day over worrying about what plan B is.

ccfcway

how do you know they don't work on it in training ?.

As you say, its a basic skill and there is only so much training you can do on throwing a ball over your head before you give personal responsibility to the full time player.

Nick

Administrator
how do you know they don't work on it in training ?.

As you say, its a basic skill and there is only so much training you can do on throwing a ball over your head before you give personal responsibility to the full time player.

At what point do you take that responsibility off the player?

They may well work on throw ins as an example in training, obviously not doing much though is it?

oucho

On the plus side, Macclesfield is a decent away day for pubs!

ccfcway

At what point do you take that responsibility off the player?

They may well work on throw ins as an example in training, obviously not doing much though is it?

a lot of it will be to do shape I assume. Looks to me like he wants the rest of the team to keep their shape which is why he has picked only a couple of players to take throws. If a player who is assigned throw in's cant take a throw, surely they would also be practising after training etc in order to better themselves ?

Nick

Administrator
a lot of it will be to do shape I assume. Looks to me like he wants the rest of the team to keep their shape which is why he has picked only a couple of players to take throws. If a player who is assigned throw in's cant take a throw, surely they would also be practising after training etc in order to better themselves ?

It's just the full backs, all well and good when we are winning and need to slow the game down. Not going to do anything when chasing the game.

It's happened all season, it's not a new thing. It's not just the person taking the throw in having to stand and practise throwing a ball at the wall, it's the whole team knowing what we are going to do. Why do we persist with the long throw down the line for a flick on with no player behind to get the flick on? We are just giving the ball away.

Why do we hoof kick offs straight into touch rather than keep the ball? You wouldn't expect Sunday League players to put the ball out for a goal kick from a kick off.

Whenever we get a corner, a throw in, a free kick in different places every player should know their role in that set piece without even thinking.

Mask

I don't feel like players get enough of the blame... I agree you need to focus the training and constantly improve and strengthen, but some of these mistakes and choices are so basic it makes you wonder what more you can do. The odd fumble, miss-kick and poor challenge will always happen. Freekicks, goalkeeping, passing will always improve. But throw-ins to no one, a complete lack of awareness/urgency and indecisiveness is unforgivable at some point. They must have the ground work sorted by now even in League Two, otherwise what sets them apart from non-professional Sunday league players?

Completely agree though that Robins needs to do more in terms of team rotation and be much sharper/braver at subbing out the weaker performers, but I'd like to see him get another season to work some things out. Bare in mind we're on our highest points tally we've ever gotten to and the playoffs is still in our grasp.

Mucca Mad Boys

You are just talking about changing players though. The same as when I suggested subs you instantly thought they had to be like for like rather than moving players around slightly.

We played Stevenage and Kelly had a great game because he was more advanced. Last night he was neither advanced or defensive so it was a bit random because I am not sure what he was told to go out and do.

There was nothing stopping him from making changes at 3-2 to try and go for it was there? At that point their players were tiring and every time we went forward with a bit of intent they were trying to bring us down and giving us a bit more space, it is just that it was Haynes and Shipley mostly on the left and they weren't really doing anything in terms of end product.

If we had JCH and Biamou there with McNulty lurking about when we were chasing the game I think we would have had a better chance.

No, I’m just picking at your brain trying to work out what your complaints are exactly. So far, I’ve got, well, nothing. For all your vocal criticisms you wouldn’t change anything significantly. The rest is conjecture - just because Shipley had 1-2 good cameos at LB doesn’t mean he’s able to fill in there week in, week out. Stephen Hughes had a great cameo at GK when we drew 0-0 v Stoke all those years ago... doesn’t mean he should’ve been 2nd or 3rd choice GK!

I invited you to share your thoughts on the system, you’ve avoided that question several times. I’ve at least tried to suggest something new and how it could possibly solve some of our problems. That’s more productive than conjecture.

Disregard the Stevenage result. Stevenage were a poor side. Lincoln are a far better team. Again, the midfield wasn’t a problem, nor was the front 3. We conceded 3 route one goals. All of which prevented if McDonald wins the aerial battle.

Nick

Administrator
No, I’m just picking at your brain trying to work out what your complaints are exactly. So far, I’ve got, well, nothing. For all your vocal criticisms you wouldn’t change anything significantly. The rest is conjecture - just because Shipley had 1-2 good cameos at LB doesn’t mean he’s able to fill in there week in, week out. Stephen Hughes had a great cameo at GK when we drew 0-0 v Stoke all those years ago... doesn’t mean he should’ve been 2nd or 3rd choice GK!

I invited you to share your thoughts on the system, you’ve avoided that question several times. I’ve at least tried to suggest something new and how it could possibly solve some of our problems. That’s more productive than conjecture.

Disregard the Stevenage result. Stevenage were a poor side. Lincoln are a far better team. Again, the midfield wasn’t a problem, nor was the front 3. We conceded 3 route one goals. All of which prevented if McDonald wins the aerial battle.

I am not sure you are reading it right, I was talking about putting Shipley there last night when we were chasing the game.

If I was the manager and had done my research to see Rhead will drop out to the full backs to beat them in the air I would have put Stokes there and Davies in the middle instead of McDonald.

Ashdown

The corners were awful last night. It's not the hardest thing in the world for a pro to whip in a swift and fairly accurate ball into the right area is it ?! Shipley was poor.

Mucca Mad Boys

I am not sure you are reading it right, I was talking about putting Shipley there last night when we were chasing the game.

If I was the manager and had done my research to see Rhead will drop out to the full backs to beat them in the air I would have put Stokes there and Davies in the middle instead of McDonald.

You’re talking with the power of hindsight mate.

We tried playing Reid LB in the same manner as you describe v Yeovil. Watch the last 2 goals and that’s probably the reason why he didn’t do what you’re describing.

I have no doubt in my mind we did our research, Haynes, McDonald and Willis all played in the win at their place. Again, them bullying our full backs didn’t contribute to any goals or significant chances. McDonald really should’ve coped better with the long balls. Davies might be healthy, but hasn’t played since he’s come back. Had we started him and lost, no doubt you or other would complain about that. Let me remind you that you said:

‘He changed things from when we played well against Stevenage last week for some reason and does weird shit’

Dropping McDonald for a CB that hasn’t played since a bad injury straight into an important fixture is something I’d consider ‘weird shit’. For context, you said that about dropping JP for Bayliss with hindsight of his goal and assist...

Your points are all made with hindsight, which is a flawed way of looking at things mate.

Nick

Administrator
You’re talking with the power of hindsight mate.

We tried playing Reid LB in the same manner as you describe v Yeovil. Watch the last 2 goals and that’s probably the reason why he didn’t do what you’re describing.

I have no doubt in my mind we did our research, Haynes, McDonald and Willis all played in the win at their place. Again, them bullying our full backs didn’t contribute to any goals or significant chances. McDonald really should’ve coped better with the long balls. Davies might be healthy, but hasn’t played since he’s come back. Had we started him and lost, no doubt you or other would complain about that. Let me remind you that you said:

‘He changed things from when we played well against Stevenage last week for some reason and does weird shit’

Dropping McDonald for a CB that hasn’t played since a bad injury straight into an important fixture is something I’d consider ‘weird shit’. For context, you said that about dropping JP for Bayliss with hindsight of his goal and assist...

Your points are all made with hindsight, which is a flawed way of looking at things mate.

Reid is a completely different player to Shipley though, I said at the time against Yeovil why on earth has Reid been pushed back to LB.

If Davies isn't fit enough to play then he shouldn't be on the bench. It wouldn't be "weird shit" to put our defender who is best at dealing with aerial threats on a team who play route one football would it?

What do you mean them bullying our full backs didn't lead to a goal? It lead to the first goal within a minute, Rhead was constantly drifting out there to win the headers to players who then made the overlap.

Great_Expectations

I don’t want Robins to be sacked, and I appreciate he has taken us to within touching distance of the play offs, but I am becoming frustrated with him.

He has been given a lot of slack for losing two key players, and rightly so, but that was how many games ago and we still haven’t really worked out how to replace their attacking ability, in my opinion. We have been close with Bayliss, but he’s been shoved on the wing way too many times for my liking.

The above links to another point that has been raised; a lack of a right winger. For me, that is solely on MR. We started the season with one winger (Jones), so we were on the back foot before Jones even got injured. If Vincenti was his answer, then that is an appalling lack of judgment.

I agree his game management needs to improve. In terms of examples; last night I would have brought Reid on for Shipley a lot earlier and Davies for McDonald at HT. He heavily criticised the defence after, yet changed nothing during the actual game. I wouldn’t have taken JCH off, and potentially even put Biamou right wing allowing Reid to whip crosses towards him at the back post. It would have cost us defensively but Grimmer had zero support as it was.

The throw ins and kick offs are an absolute farce. I’d love to see some stats on how many times we’ve actually retained possession from kick off.

Last night we set up not to lose, at home, in a significant game. We all know MR is a defensive manager (at least this season), but that was too much.

The most frustrating part is that when we actually get the ball down and play it, we look good. On paper we have a technically sound squad. I don’t understand why they can’t produce that form consistently. I would suggest it is a combination of MR’s tactics and the fact they are L2 footballers.

As I say, I wouldn’t sack him, but some of his decisions, or lack of actions, are frustrating.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

No one fucking knows who’s available until you ask for applications.
Honestly this has to be the most stupid fucking logic ive ever come across.
Well in that case tell me who's top of your (fucking) list then .

Paxman II

I was unable to be there last night so difficult for me to comment but MR's stated 3 goals we gave away after the first one in the first minute were absolutely preventable whereas we scored two very good goals from from open play. He is saying had we reacted defensively properly as expected to 1st and 2nd ball they would have not score the other 3. A damming assessment of our defenders tbf by their manager. So we should have won 2-1. How frustrating that must be to the manager. How does he react to that for the next two games?

As for MR's being sacked, you must be having a laugh. We have had a very good season (may yet get promoted) and he is building a good squad. Mc.Nulty a leading scorer in this division, the emergence of Bayliss, and lets not forget Jones is arguably our most talented player and he has been unavailable almost all season! Next season promoted or not looks very good from where I'm standing and keeping MR's would solidify the club for once and we can only improve.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I was unable to be there last night so difficult for me to comment but MR's stated 3 goals we gave away after the first one in the first minute were absolutely preventable whereas we scored two very good goals from from open play. He is saying had we reacted defensively properly as expected to 1st and 2nd ball they would have not score the other 3. A damming assessment of our defenders tbf by their manager. So we should have won 2-1. How frustrating that must be to the manager. How does he react to that for the next two games?

As for MR's being sacked, you must be having a laugh. We have had a very good season (may yet get promoted) and he is building a good squad. Mc.Nulty a leading scorer in this division, the emergence of Bayliss, and lets not forget Jones is arguably our most talented player and he has been unavailable almost all season! Next season promoted or not looks very good from where I'm standing and keeping MR's would solidify the club for once and we can only improve.
Some people would have you believe that he should be sacked even if every single prospective candidate would do us worse.

Ashdown

Except you are forgetting here that McNulty has indicated he is off if we don't get promoted and Bayliss and Jones will have a saleable value in the summer so our owners will once again cash in and advocate more youth promotion.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I won’t have a list until I’ve seen who’s applied, don’t you get it?
Not really. You slag off Robins but you've got no solution. Very sensible.

Paxman II

Jones and Bayliss yet to prove consistently they have value on their heads so no I don't agree with them leaving. Mc.Nulty will attract some interest as a high league scorer from perhaps a handful of clubs but who would they be? And again so far he is a one season wonder if you remember couldn't hit a barn door early on? No i doubt there will be many approaches for his services at this stage.
All 3 will have the opportunity to improve and prove themselves truly worthy next season at Coventry and in the process give us a promotion season or at least an encouraging one in League 1.

Nick

Administrator
Except you are forgetting here that McNulty has indicated he is off if we don't get promoted and Bayliss and Jones will have a saleable value in the summer so our owners will once again cash in and advocate more youth promotion.

Has McNulty said that?

ccfcway

when did McNulty say that ?

Also, it wasn't long ago that it was a major concern on here that if we didn't go up, McDonald would go !

Even if we do lose 2 or 3 and need to replace them, when added to the 4 or so already needed, its still considerably less than other recent pre seasons

steveo1987

Good to see you last night Phil..We must all get out for a beer

Mucca Mad Boys

Reid is a completely different player to Shipley though, I said at the time against Yeovil why on earth has Reid been pushed back to LB.

If Davies isn't fit enough to play then he shouldn't be on the bench. It wouldn't be "weird shit" to put our defender who is best at dealing with aerial threats on a team who play route one football would it?

What do you mean them bullying our full backs didn't lead to a goal? It lead to the first goal within a minute, Rhead was constantly drifting out there to win the headers to players who then made the overlap.

Your argument is very inconsistent. Changing the team is good when it comes to putting Davies in for McDonald but bad when replacing JP with Bayliss? Which is it then?

Rhead didn’t win a single header in the lead up to their goal. He played a pass to their number 10. Which Rod covered, he held it until Haynes got their and they moved the ball which Frecklington nodded to Rhead who scored a banger. Bayliss was slotting in the gap which Rod left and he could’ve been a bit active defensively if we’re being harsh. So no, that isn’t the case.

The above links to another point that has been raised; a lack of a right winger. For me, that is solely on MR. We started the season with one winger (Jones), so we were on the back foot before Jones even got injured. If Vincenti was his answer, then that is an appalling lack of judgment.

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment at all. We signed two wingers on loan in Jan, neither have been great. One is really ill and the other hasn’t brought his U23s form to the senior game. Even Nazon could play wide but left in Jan.

Besides, injuries happen, they’re inevitable, but not two ACLs. Both Andreu and JJ can play both wings and I think Andreu is right footed, or at least comfortable on it. Vincenti and Jones out wide provided good balance, something we lack with JJ out.

Again, either the amount of players we’ve signed, it was difficult to get all of our needs. We’ve got the basics right and that bodes well going forward.

AVWskyblue

but his biggest signing should be a new assistant manager to help him sort out some of the fundamental issues like corners and throw ins we've had all season.
Exactly this.....

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk

steve82

For me last night the Cowley Bro’s out foxed MR in his preparations by starting Olli Palmer with Green and Rhead. All season Palmer has been Rhead’s replacement around 70 mins.

This meant Matt Rhead had a free role to drop wide quite often and taking two men out the game opening up the middle as we tried to stop Rhead getting the knock on’s.

Doyle gave clear instructions to Rod Mcdonald during the 1st half for he and Mcdonald to double up on a Rhead. I’m still confused to why double up. Let him win the knock on 40 yards out but be first to the second ball and intercept or stay tight to your man and cover. This would of left Mcdonald or Willis to stay with Palmer or Green.

The need to double up left us exposed giving more space to Lincoln before you even add in our soft nature the back four showed.

We certainly added to our own problems in what was otherwise a half decent performance from us in our attacking play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment at all. We signed two wingers on loan in Jan, neither have been great. One is really ill and the other hasn’t brought his U23s form to the senior game. Even Nazon could play wide but left in Jan.

Besides, injuries happen, they’re inevitable, but not two ACLs. Both Andreu and JJ can play both wings and I think Andreu is right footed, or at least comfortable on it. Vincenti and Jones out wide provided good balance, something we lack with JJ out.

Again, either the amount of players we’ve signed, it was difficult to get all of our needs. We’ve got the basics right and that bodes well going forward.

But even the two January signings could be argued against as a) we shouldn’t have needed to sign a winger as we should have addressed the position in summer or b) they are bad signings by MR. However, I accept he’s been unlucky with illness and the fact Barratt is one of many who can’t transfer their U23 form.

I accept the point re the number of signings, however I’d argue a winger is pretty essential. Going into the season with one is poor, unless, as I previously mentioned, he thought Vincenti was the answer. Even so that’s only two (as far as I’m aware Andreu is firmly an ACM). Especially as, until recently, every formation he’s tried has required a right winger so it seems odd he didn’t sign one. Perhaps he is averse to actual wingers, hence why he hasn’t given Reid a fair go or promoted any from the youth team.

Overall I agree we have a strong squad, even with the injuries, which is why seeing us capitulate is even more infuriating.

Users who are viewing this thread