Robins has to go in the summer / 02476 555 555 (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Do we actually have a very restricted league 2 budget?

Mucca Mad Boys

It's not a cliche is it? Watching every game it's what actually happens. There is no will to change things if they aren't working, Colchester away he waits for them to take the lead before he starts making substitutions. Newport away the same but thankfully it worked then.

Yes Bayliss scored but other than that he was pretty much wasted last night, he would do some great touches but then his second touch would be awful and it would give the ball away. The game also passed him by as they were cutting out midfield and going long. Having Biamou there but slightly advanced it would have given us a bit more from set pieces and Biamou would have helped close down or pressure the long ball every time.

By Plan B I am talking about getting back into games, I know the defense were dog shit but it's how we react to try and get back into games to get a result.

The changes I suggested for last night were more realistic because we know Robins won't change things drastically mid game, hence he has to do like for like subs.

When we are chasing the game, why is a striker for a CAM stupid?

Why is suggesting Shipley at LB stupid when we have seen he can actually do a job there? If it's the case he is a natural CM why is he playing him at Left Midfield while we have a left sided midfielder on the bench with more assists than any other player?

It's not about thinking I could win the world cup, it's about seeing things that clearly aren't working and commenting on them week in, week out.

Also if you read my posts I've never called for him to be sacked, just to start reacting and addressing things. It's all well and good being angry and mr nasty but it won't do a thing if nothing comes from it.

It's like telling your kids if they do something then they will be in trouble, then when they do it nothing happening. It will just happen over and over.

Would you keep the system and the squad selection the same, yes or no?

If the game passed Bayliss by, the alternative, if we kept a ‘winning’ team, is JP on the wing again. I don’t think that’s better in any way. Moreover, I actually disagree, Bayliss got on some very good positions in the 1st half, his goal and assist demonstrates that. There was an occasion where he was in a situation that was like for like our first goal, and McNulty selfishly went himself with a weak effort that trickled past the post.

As for the second half, Lincoln just snuffed us out and hit us on the counter, the game passed most of us by.

This is how I interpret the team after your changes:

Grimmer Willis McDonal Shipley
Kelly Doyle Reid
Biamou McNulty JCH

Is that correct? So you’ve got Reid in at CM more or less? I think that exposes Shipley a lot and it doesn’t even put Reid in the best positions for himself to create as he is very clearly a LM. I can see why he put JP on, because he is a very adept finisher and I think he scores his chance about 8/10 times. Also, their GK made a real good save to deny Biamou so given that his two subs had good opportunities, I think MR is justified to be frank. If players miss chances, what can the manager do? Likewise with defensive errors apart from changing the team around.

Otis

No, the issue is that Robins doesn't have a Plan B. He changed things from when we played well against Stevenage last week for some reason and does weird shit. He is unable to make substitutions that also alter the positioning of a player. It is all well and good him making subs but he doesn't alter the system or the gameplan during games when it isn't working.

Bayliss at RM is pointless, when Bayliss gets time on the ball and to run at players he can make things happen but last night most of the game was bypassing him as it was in the air. Nobody was closing down the players putting the long balls across or sweeping up the knock downs.

I told you the subs I would have made, I'd have put Shipley at LB who would have been better there than Haynes at least and put Reid on to add some pace to take the game to them a little bit. Like him or not he has the most league assists in our squad and is probably our quickest player.

As Bayliss was a spectator aside from his decent goal and his heavy touches I'd have kept JCH on and put Biamou on for him and left him just behind JCH and McNulty where Bayliss was. It would also give us a bit more defending set pieces.

How many times have we repeatedly exploited an oppositions weakness like we have seen against us?

To be fair, he scored one and set up the other. That's a very decent return from a game you would think. I do think he was a spectator in that second half though.

Nick

Administrator
Would you keep the system and the squad selection the same, yes or no?

If the game passed Bayliss by, the alternative, if we kept a ‘winning’ team, is JP on the wing again. I don’t think that’s better in any way. Moreover, I actually disagree, Bayliss got on some very good positions in the 1st half, his goal and assist demonstrates that. There was an occasion where he was in a situation that was like for like our first goal, and McNulty selfishly went himself with a weak effort that trickled past the post.

As for the second half, Lincoln just snuffed us out and hit us on the counter, the game passed most of us by.

This is how I interpret the team after your changes:

Grimmer Willis McDonal Shipley
Kelly Doyle Reid
Biamou McNulty JCH

Is that correct? So you’ve got Reid in at CM more or less? I think that exposes Shipley a lot and it doesn’t even put Reid in the best positions for himself to create as he is very clearly a LM. I can see why he put JP on, because he is a very adept finisher and I think he scores his chance about 8/10 times. Also, their GK made a real good save to deny Biamou so given that his two subs had good opportunities, I think MR is justified to be frank. If players miss chances, what can the manager do? Likewise with defensive errors apart from changing the team around.

Nope, I would have Biamou just behind McNulty and JCH with Reid probably to the left of him.

We were chasing the game, we needed to get back into it.

We needed to both attack with a bit of pace and cut out their long diagonal balls.

Have you ever seen me say anything about keeping a winning team? I am talking about reacting during games when they aren't going in our favour.

Ashdown

So Robins budget isn't very restrictive for League 2?
I don't think anyone knows the exact financial input and spent budget for any of the clubs do they. Our budget will always be restricted from what it could be by owners who are universally hated across the City and have refused to 'invest in success' for many years now.........plus they won't let any other party have a go.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think anyone knows the exact financial input and spent budget for any of the clubs do they. Our budget will always be restricted from what it could be by owners who are universally hated across the City and have refused to 'invest in success' for many years now.........plus they won't let any other party have a go.

Does Robins have less to spend on players / players wages than a lot of League 2 teams like you tried to make out or not? It's not that hard. I get the rest of it, but all of this "his hands are tied with the budget" stuff is bollocks.

Ashdown

Does Robins have less to spend on players / players wages than a lot of League 2 teams like you tried to make out or not? It's not that hard. I get the rest of it, but all of this "his hands are tied with the budget" stuff is bollocks.
Maybe/maybe not and a lot of those League 2 teams are still below us aren't they ? ...........Oh and I didn't make a comparison did I if you read it back ? I said he had a restricted budget in relation to what he could have for a single club side in a City the size of Cov with the potential we have for numbers when given a little whiff of success or ambition. It's obvious once again you want to blame successive managers every time rather than look at who is really holding the club back !

Nick

Administrator
Maybe/maybe not and a lot of those League 2 teams are still below us aren't they ? ...........Oh and I didn't make a comparison did I if you read it back ? I said he had a restricted budget in relation to what he could have for a single club side in a City the size of Cov with the potential we have for numbers when given a little whiff of success or ambition. It's obvious once again you want to blame successive managers every time rather than look at who is really holding the club back !

On a thread talking about Robins and football I point out where he goes wrong from watching every game this season. It's all well and good watching a couple of games a year and just blaming the owners but when you watch a manager make cock ups and get out thought by opposition managers a lot it gets annoying.

I have also said I don't want him to be sacked, I want him to address the issues and sort them out.

Yes, there are a lot of teams below us. We have also dropped points against a lot of them.

It doesn't matter about city size and "potential" that people bang on about. It's bollocks, that doesn't win us games.

Mucca Mad Boys

Nope, I would have Biamou just behind McNulty and JCH with Reid probably to the left of him.

We were chasing the game, we needed to get back into it.

We needed to both attack with a bit of pace and cut out their long diagonal balls.

Have you ever seen me say anything about keeping a winning team? I am talking about reacting during games when they aren't going in our favour.

You said: ‘He changed things from when we played well against Stevenage last week for some reason and does weird shit’ - we made one change that was Bayliss for JP. With an assist and a goal, it’s clearly a justified selection.

In that same post you talk about him not changing the system. So, I’ve asked you and others numerous times, what would do system-wise. I’ve suggested a system, why can’t you? Back up your points.

The midfield or attack wasn’t the problem, at all. We conceded 3 route one goals — only the first one is forgivable because it was a fantastic strike. The others were all avoidable.

We attacked with decent pace, our first goal was the product of that, as was our second. I personally agree that we should’ve brought Reid on on the wing for Shipley or Kelly. But at 4-2, he was trying to bring goal scorers on and I appreciate that thinking. JP, despite his miss, is capable of very good finishes whereas Biamou offers an outlet.

Without a credible RM, 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 are off the table really. So for all the vocal criticism you voice about MR, you’d still play the same system. In all honesty, how would you change anything if you were in his shoes? You’ve yet to make a convincingly coherent argument as to what you’d change. Making changes when you’re losing is still fighting an uphill battle. Hence, most teams that score first, typically tend to to win or at least draw games, especially in the top 7.

skybluetony176

So we are at the highest position in a league for over 20 years yet he has failed.
All the other managers we have had were worse.
It doesn't work we have been doing it for all that time and have only got worse each time.

Highest points tally since 3 for a win also. Whatever happens he’s already our most successful manager since 87. It’s madness to suggest he should go.

Nick

Administrator
You said: ‘He changed things from when we played well against Stevenage last week for some reason and does weird shit’ - we made one change that was Bayliss for JP. With an assist and a goal, it’s clearly a justified selection.

In that same post you talk about him not changing the system. So, I’ve asked you and others numerous times, what would do system-wise. I’ve suggested a system, why can’t you? Back up your points.

The midfield or attack wasn’t the problem, at all. We conceded 3 route one goals — only the first one is forgivable because it was a fantastic strike. The others were all avoidable.

We attacked with decent pace, our first goal was the product of that, as was our second. I personally agree that we should’ve brought Reid on on the wing for Shipley or Kelly. But at 4-2, he was trying to bring goal scorers on and I appreciate that thinking. JP, despite his miss, is capable of very good finishes whereas Biamou offers an outlet.

Without a credible RM, 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 are off the table really. So for all the vocal criticism you voice about MR, you’d still play the same system. In all honesty, how would you change anything if you were in his shoes? You’ve yet to make a convincingly coherent argument as to what you’d change. Making changes when you’re losing is still fighting an uphill battle. Hence, most teams that score first, typically tend to to win or at least draw games, especially in the top 7.

You are just talking about changing players though. The same as when I suggested subs you instantly thought they had to be like for like rather than moving players around slightly.

We played Stevenage and Kelly had a great game because he was more advanced. Last night he was neither advanced or defensive so it was a bit random because I am not sure what he was told to go out and do.

There was nothing stopping him from making changes at 3-2 to try and go for it was there? At that point their players were tiring and every time we went forward with a bit of intent they were trying to bring us down and giving us a bit more space, it is just that it was Haynes and Shipley mostly on the left and they weren't really doing anything in terms of end product.

If we had JCH and Biamou there with McNulty lurking about when we were chasing the game I think we would have had a better chance.

KG7

Personally, I think your analysis is all off. We have had to sign 15+ players over this season — it’s a complete rebuild, and if you want to talk about fine margins; Lincoln, Luton, Notts County, Wycombe, Accrington Stanley and Exeter have roughly the same core of players as last season and added to it. They also have experience in this league and around the top 7, we don’t. Our club doesn’t have a winning culture or mentality historically.

Speaking of fine margins, if you do not think we’d be better off in the league materially with both Andreu and Jones, what will?!

I think if you look at how this season has planned out, Robins has been willing to mix things up tactically, such as:
- moving to 4-4-2 to get McNulty further up the pitch
- trying Bayliss at RM to accommodate Kelly, Doyle and Bayliss
- playing 4-3-3 to keep aforementioned midfielders in central positions
- changing Kelly’s tactical role which has been positive in the last few games

If you look at the state of the squad as it is at present, Robins’ options are very limited. If he wants to play 4-4-2, he doesn’t have a natural RM; Bayliss or Shipley/Reid don’t fit that role well, or we have to go with a sub par player in DKE or Vincenti. 4-3-3 you have the same problem because McNulty nor JCH are wingers. What system we can successfully play is constrained because we don’t have a viable option at RM.

I challenged Nick on this and got a cliched reply of ‘more pace’ or what subs he’d have made - but still playing the same system presumably. So, what would you change? I’ve suggested I think 5-3-2 might be worth trying, because of the way we’re playing tactically and I don’t really like that system personally. If your changes is merely ‘subbing Haynes for Stokes’, thank God you’re not a football manager.

Spot on mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG7

No, the issue is that Robins doesn't have a Plan B. He changed things from when we played well against Stevenage last week for some reason and does weird shit. He is unable to make substitutions that also alter the positioning of a player. It is all well and good him making subs but he doesn't alter the system or the gameplan during games when it isn't working.

Bayliss at RM is pointless, when Bayliss gets time on the ball and to run at players he can make things happen but last night most of the game was bypassing him as it was in the air. Nobody was closing down the players putting the long balls across or sweeping up the knock downs.

I told you the subs I would have made, I'd have put Shipley at LB who would have been better there than Haynes at least and put Reid on to add some pace to take the game to them a little bit. Like him or not he has the most league assists in our squad and is probably our quickest player.

As Bayliss was a spectator aside from his decent goal and his heavy touches I'd have kept JCH on and put Biamou on for him and left him just behind JCH and McNulty where Bayliss was. It would also give us a bit more defending set pieces.

How many times have we repeatedly exploited an oppositions weakness like we have seen against us?

We played 4-3-3 last night and Bayliss was left of centre nowhere near the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccfcway

I have also said I don't want him to be sacked, I want him to address the issues and sort them out..

Surely on that basis you wouldn't want any of the players dropped, you would just want them to cut out the mistakes and play better ?

Nick

Administrator
Surely on that basis you wouldn't want any of the players dropped, you would just want them to cut out the mistakes and play better ?

Not really the same is it? The manager and coaches should be picking up on that and ironing those mistakes out of the game. It's also the idea of having a large squad like we have so you can replace a player easily.

It seems that the Lincoln manager knew more about our squad last night than Robins did.

Covstu

I think that things are going just as our owners wanted, keep us in the play of positions all season to keep the punters interest and then at the end of the season just fail to make the playoffs,
cue our owners to leave no stone unturned plus a few more lies to sell season tickets. p.s. I made this observation last September much to nicks annoyance.
Why would they want us to fail??? Even for SISU this doesn't make any sense?

ccfcway

Not really the same is it? The manager and coaches should be picking up on that and ironing those mistakes out of the game. It's also the idea of having a large squad like we have so you can replace a player easily .

exactly. We only have one manager and we either back what he's doing , knowing along the way he will make mistakes or don't think he's up for the job as we don't have a squad of them to choose from.

I don't buy this "i want him to address the issues and sort them out" line, as that's what every fan of every team in every league wants from their manager. If they all did this none would lose their job, Koeman would still be at Everton, De Boer at Crystal Palace etc

Nick

Administrator
exactly. We only have one manager and we either back what he's doing , knowing along the way he will make mistakes or don't think he's up for the job as we don't have a squad of them to choose from.

I don't buy this "i want him to address the issues and sort them out" line, as that's what every fan of every team in every league wants from their manager. If they all did this none would lose their job, Koeman would still be at Everton, De Boer at Crystal Palace etc

So a fan who spots something basic like awful corners and unable to take a throw in shouldn't want it to be addressed by the manager?

I won't blindly back a manager and not mention obvious things he should be doing.

I can also want him to address things without wanting him sacked. Especially when it is basic things like how to take a throw in, how to not kick it out of play from kick off that 7 year olds would learn.

Grendel

The concern about Robins is the same as a lot of managers - they are effective over a short term and once hit a negative slump cannot address. If you look at his record everywhere he goes he starts of well - at Scunthorpe he was flying at one point. Then it declined. We are not sacking him but lets accept he has to start next season well or we have to make a change quickly. I am assuming we will still be in this league for that - I can't see us getting promoted

ccfcway

[
So a fan who spots something basic like awful corners and unable to take a throw in shouldn't want it to be addressed by the manager?

I won't blindly back a manager and not mention obvious things he should be doing.

I can also want him to address things without wanting him sacked. Especially when it is basic things like how to take a throw in, how to not kick it out of play from kick off that 7 year olds would learn.

As a comment yes, but posts like the below indicate that not only has this happened in every game this season, I cant see how you will have any faith in it changing ? I just cant get my head around the constant neagitivty in every thread

It has been like it all season, we may as well just take a foul throw and be done with it.

Same with corners, stick them out for a goal kick and get back into position. Save the defenders energy from coming up to do absolutely nothing.

fernandopartridge

Why do you ignore things that don't support your argument? We scored from a corner last Friday.

Nick

Administrator
Am I wrong in what I have said?

You seem a bit over eager to try and pick up on my posts, but strangely enough you can't actually disagree with any of them so try the strange wisecracks.

ccfcway

Why do you ignore things that don't support your argument? We scored from a corner last Friday.

I was going to post the same, but will have been told it was a standard answer. We are 7th and still in with a shout of promotion. Not happened since I was born and all is see is critism

Nick

Administrator

Yep I know we did after Willis attacked the ball.

How many have we actually made count over the season?

We had 9 corners last night, how many were floated to the other side of the 18 yard box?

fernandopartridge

I was going to post the same, but will have been told it was a standard answer. We are 7th and still in with a shout of promotion. Not happened since I was born and all is see is critism

I know, it is shocking that there are Robins out posts, shocking. Nick wants to jump on that bandwagon but can't quite say it

ccfcway

Am I wrong in what I have said?

You seem a bit over eager to try and pick up on my posts, but strangely enough you can't actually disagree with any of them so try the strange wisecracks.

come on. Reason I post against it is because I disagree. League two clubs make mistakes every game, so why should we be any different. If we conceded that 1st goal last Friday, there would have been a meltdown on here, but reality is all clubs in the division concede them

I don't believe complaining about a dodgy corner or throw in from a league two club is productive as its going to happen.

I'd rather celebrate the corner we scored from last Friday or the fact we are 7th with a chance of promotion.

I don't agree with "it happens every game" comments as if it did how on earth are we still 7th, and if it does and we are still 7th, it shows our players are suited to this level and competing.

I disagree with the notion of us having to harm or injury players from the other team in every game, as I think we are better than that and its not the sort of football I would want to watch and support.

I disagree with the calls from MR to bring on a sub as soon as we go a goal down, as I believe he knows better than me how to manage a football club

I disagree with all the "Haynes" threads today (not you) as I think Grimmer was considerably worse last night

In short Nick, there is plenty I disagree with, but surely that's what a forum is for ?

Users who are viewing this thread