Robins has to go in the summer / 02476 555 555 (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

I mentioned in another thread, just off the top of my head, subs that have come on and changed games or scored in recent matches. Biamou, Reid (Newport), Biamou( Yeovil) Ponticelli (Notts Co), Biamou (Crawley). Even tonight Biamou forced the keeper into a great save with the back post header. Ponticelli had two great chances to score. Robins fault he didn’t score?
We are in the playoff places at the moment with all to play for. Robins has managed this with wretched luck with injuries. He turned around a club which was dire last season and has kept us in the top seven, despite those injuries, for 90% of the season. He has replaced half a team. Of the starting 11 tonight, only Burge, Haynes and Willis were in the team last season. Yet he is still criticised because he didn’t also replace Haynes and Burge. How big was his budget? I am pretty sure that Stokes was his preferred left back, not his fault that he has under performed this season.
A really bad, disappointing defeat tonight but it doesn’t warrant the reaction of some on here tonight.

agree with every word.
I'm furious with Robins after last night but don't want him sacked.
At the start of the season If you'd offered me the chance of a play off place with 2 games to go being still in our own hands I'd have taken it.

Covstu

Lincoln are going straight up from non-league.
Surely that's harder than going up from L1?
I think momentum can play a massive part to be honest if you have the makings of a decent squad. Much harder to be relegated and trying to come back up in my opinion

Macca

Keep him,100%

Doing the same thing over and over again when it clearly hasn't worked is pure lunacy

Covstu

The usual emotional response to a key defeat, he isn’t perfect we all know but let’s face it you hear fans whinge about lack of subs in the prem top 5 so this isn’t unique to MR. The game plan didn’t work last night and he didn’t have the mental agility to change it up but I think he needs more time. Providing we can keep key players next year, a new keeper and a left back as a minimum then we will have the makings of a decent team

Terry_dactyl

Keep him,100%

Doing the same thing over and over again when it clearly hasn't worked is pure lunacy

Are you talking about cov sacking managers or Robins’ tactics?

Yeah, I’m not sure why this is debated after every defeat. Of course he will stay and rightly so.

1940oldfive

Ok we all agree that his hands are tied when it comes to bringing in players,but he is certainly not getting the best out of what he's got
FWIW I think he's tactically naive and is not prepared to take risks when things are going against is
I think that things are going just as our owners wanted, keep us in the play of positions all season to keep the punters interest and then at the end of the season just fail to make the playoffs,
cue our owners to leave no stone unturned plus a few more lies to sell season tickets. p.s. I made this observation last September much to nicks annoyance.

Liquid Gold

Another year. He lost his two best players early on and has still kept us competitive, if boring and a couple of awful games. He can hopefully see who the Sunday league players are now and move them on.

robbiekeane

So we’re in the playoffs, with season ending injuries to two key players, and you’re calling for the manager’s head?

I can’t really see what other options MR has really got? We have no right winger or right footed midfielder so we’ve had to move to a weird 4-3-3 type formation which I think leave us exposed. I think 5-3-2 would suit us, but, changing this stage of the season? I’m not sure.

Lincoln scored an unstoppable goal in the first minute, and they took their chances ruthlessly on the counter attack. Had we not conceded before half time, I think we draw this match.

Before anyone uses the transfer windows as an argument, in one summer signing 15 odd players, you’re not going to fill every need. Especially given the task of complete rebuild.

The common denominator in the games we won; Notts County, Lincoln, Exeter and compared to when we lost to these sides seems to be Jones. McNulty has that star quality, but he can’t do it on his own, we absolutely miss JJ.
It’s not his recruitment that I’m criticising, I think this team is probably good enough to go up! It’s the inability to adapt, poor tactics, shoehorning players into the wrong position, and glaringly obvious simple parts of the game that time and time again go wrong!

It’s all relative too. If our squad was just not good enough but the tactics and substitutions all made sense and we at least looked like when we made mistakes they were rectified, but we missed out on the playoffs or got there and didn’t go up, I’d say yes let him have another go at recruitment because he had a whole squad to sign. That’s not the case though is it? It’s very fine margins and coming down to the last games and there are so many points lost due to all of the above.

sb84

If last August/September time you were told city would be in top 10 in April and scrapping for a play off place I think we would have all taken that. We are in a better position (despite sisu still being here) than most previous years recently so Robins must be doing something right.
I too cant see us getting through the play-off's even if we do get there but its still a positive at the end of the season compared to what we have become used to lately.

robbiekeane

I think that things are going just as our owners wanted, keep us in the play of positions all season to keep the punters interest and then at the end of the season just fail to make the playoffs,
cue our owners to leave no stone unturned plus a few more lies to sell season tickets. p.s. I made this observation last September much to nicks annoyance.
I think you need a doctor

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s not his recruitment that I’m criticising, I think this team is probably good enough to go up! It’s the inability to adapt, poor tactics, shoehorning players into the wrong position, and glaringly obvious simple parts of the game that time and time again go wrong!

It’s all relative too. If our squad was just not good enough but the tactics and substitutions all made sense and we at least looked like when we made mistakes they were rectified, but we missed out on the playoffs or got there and didn’t go up, I’d say yes let him have another go at recruitment because he had a whole squad to sign. That’s not the case though is it? It’s very fine margins and coming down to the last games and there are so many points lost due to all of the above.

Personally, I think your analysis is all off. We have had to sign 15+ players over this season — it’s a complete rebuild, and if you want to talk about fine margins; Lincoln, Luton, Notts County, Wycombe, Accrington Stanley and Exeter have roughly the same core of players as last season and added to it. They also have experience in this league and around the top 7, we don’t. Our club doesn’t have a winning culture or mentality historically.

Speaking of fine margins, if you do not think we’d be better off in the league materially with both Andreu and Jones, what will?!

I think if you look at how this season has planned out, Robins has been willing to mix things up tactically, such as:
- moving to 4-4-2 to get McNulty further up the pitch
- trying Bayliss at RM to accommodate Kelly, Doyle and Bayliss
- playing 4-3-3 to keep aforementioned midfielders in central positions
- changing Kelly’s tactical role which has been positive in the last few games

If you look at the state of the squad as it is at present, Robins’ options are very limited. If he wants to play 4-4-2, he doesn’t have a natural RM; Bayliss or Shipley/Reid don’t fit that role well, or we have to go with a sub par player in DKE or Vincenti. 4-3-3 you have the same problem because McNulty nor JCH are wingers. What system we can successfully play is constrained because we don’t have a viable option at RM.

I challenged Nick on this and got a cliched reply of ‘more pace’ or what subs he’d have made - but still playing the same system presumably. So, what would you change? I’ve suggested I think 5-3-2 might be worth trying, because of the way we’re playing tactically and I don’t really like that system personally. If your changes is merely ‘subbing Haynes for Stokes’, thank God you’re not a football manager.

Otis

Personally, I think your analysis is all off. We have had to sign 15+ players over this season — it’s a complete rebuild, and if you want to talk about fine margins; Lincoln, Luton, Notts County, Wycombe, Accrington Stanley and Exeter have roughly the same core of players as last season and added to it. They also have experience in this league and around the top 7, we don’t. Our club doesn’t have a winning culture or mentality historically.

Speaking of fine margins, if you do not think we’d be better off in the league materially with both Andreu and Jones, what will?!

I think if you look at how this season has planned out, Robins has been willing to mix things up tactically, such as:

If you look at the state of the squad as it is at present, Robins’ options are very limited. If he wants to play 4-4-2, he doesn’t have a natural RM; Bayliss or Shipley/Reid don’t fit that role well, or we have to go with a sub par player in DKE or Vincenti. 4-3-3 you have the same problem because McNulty nor JCH are wingers. What system we can successfully play is constrained because we don’t have a viable option at RM.

I challenged Nick on this and got a cliched reply of ‘more pace’ or what subs he’d have made - but still playing the same system presumably. So, what would you change? I’ve suggested I think 5-3-2 might be worth trying, because of the way we’re playing tactically and I don’t really like that system personally. If your changes is merely ‘subbing Haynes for Stokes’, thank God you’re not a football manager.
People are only saying sub Haynes for Stokes because that is all we have got. If we had another option neither of them would be playing.

Nick

Administrator

No, the issue is that Robins doesn't have a Plan B. He changed things from when we played well against Stevenage last week for some reason and does weird shit. He is unable to make substitutions that also alter the positioning of a player. It is all well and good him making subs but he doesn't alter the system or the gameplan during games when it isn't working.

Bayliss at RM is pointless, when Bayliss gets time on the ball and to run at players he can make things happen but last night most of the game was bypassing him as it was in the air. Nobody was closing down the players putting the long balls across or sweeping up the knock downs.

I told you the subs I would have made, I'd have put Shipley at LB who would have been better there than Haynes at least and put Reid on to add some pace to take the game to them a little bit. Like him or not he has the most league assists in our squad and is probably our quickest player.

As Bayliss was a spectator aside from his decent goal and his heavy touches I'd have kept JCH on and put Biamou on for him and left him just behind JCH and McNulty where Bayliss was. It would also give us a bit more defending set pieces.

How many times have we repeatedly exploited an oppositions weakness like we have seen against us?

NortonSkyBlue

2-6
2-4

At home.

That's why and even though I am not on that bandwagon, perfectly understandable I would say.
I hear you Otis but how many of those goals against were our player errors?
Robins is responsible for some of the issues but he cant legislate for really bad errors that were avoidable.
Take Stevenage's goal last Friday, is that Robins fault?

Nick

Administrator
I hear you Otis but how many of those goals against were our player errors?
Robins is responsible for some of the issues but he cant legislate for really bad errors that were avoidable.
Take Stevenage's goal last Friday, is that Robins fault?

Surely that's where a manager works to iron out those errors? Get them on the training field, watching it back, working on set pieces.

We still can't even take corners or throw ins so working on defensive mistakes isn't going to happen is it?

Corrado

All these - Robbins must go threads fuck me off! Who is this mystery manager out there that these OP's know that will succeed in this job? How about we have some stability in the club and keep the same manager for at least a couple of seasons - When was the last time we kept a manager for over two years..... Strachan??

To add to this Robins has the highest win % since Eric Black - give the man a fucking break

robbiekeane

Again though you're talking about recruitment? I'm not saying the issue is with recruitment am I? It's with his stubbornness....his weird 89th minute substitutions when we are 1/2 goals down...playing Burge instead of O Brian....not being able to teach the team to move and give an option for a fucking throw in....having the space that a helicopter could land in between our two CDMs and strikers for over half a reason before he decided to let Kelly play a bit further up the pitch.

I.

After how long?

Can't wait for the next recruitment argument to explain why he makes 89th minute subs and throw in's take 10 minutes

Mucca Mad Boys

No, the issue is that Robins doesn't have a Plan B. He changed things from when we played well against Stevenage last week for some reason and does weird shit. He is unable to make substitutions that also alter the positioning of a player. It is all well and good him making subs but he doesn't alter the system or the gameplan during games when it isn't working.

Bayliss at RM is pointless, when Bayliss gets time on the ball and to run at players he can make things happen but last night most of the game was bypassing him as it was in the air. Nobody was closing down the players putting the long balls across or sweeping up the knock downs.

I told you the subs I would have made, I'd have put Shipley at LB who would have been better there than Haynes at least and put Reid on to add some pace to take the game to them a little bit. Like him or not he has the most league assists in our squad and is probably our quickest player.

As Bayliss was a spectator aside from his decent goal and his heavy touches I'd have kept JCH on and put Biamou on for him and left him just behind JCH and McNulty where Bayliss was. It would also give us a bit more defending set pieces.

How many times have we repeatedly exploited an oppositions weakness like we have seen against us?

‘No Plan B’ is another bad football cliché. Analyse what you’ve just said, because your ‘Plan B’ sounds awfully like ‘Plan A’ but with Shipley LB and Reid on at presumable a weird quasi-centre-to-left midfield and Biamou on for our goal scorer. If you wanted to say Reid on for Shipley, I could maybe run with that as a valid critiscism, but Shipley at LB? He has neither the pace, nor the stamina to play a wing back role (that’s how our full backs play) and is even worse aerially than Haynes.

You say he changed a ‘winning’ team but he specifically said we needed to rest Bayliss, so he did and rightfully so. Since his induction, he’s consistently been a top performer of ours, so it defies logic to not start him against Lincoln. We beat Crawley playing that kind of system minus Shipley for JP. Also, just because we beat a poor Stevenage side with 10 men from the 37th minute doesn’t mean anything, Lincoln are a completely different proposition. Had we kept the team unchanged, I’m sure you and/or others would’ve complained Bayliss was left on the bench. In end, Bayliss got a goal and assited Shipley’s goal — so I think that selection speaks for itself. To me, the defence, like Yeovil, lost us that game, because again, there were some bad defensive performances. Hence I’ve suggested 5-3-2 to let Grimmer and Haynes be more attacking and keeping our central player, well, central.

We know Bayliss doesn’t work RM, but we wouldn’t know unless we tried it. I brought that point up to demonstrate how limited our options are at this stage of the system. So again, what changes would you make to the system? By your own admissions, you wouldn’t change anything to the system, and what changes you are suggestion are: a) nominal and b) not even grounded in decent rationale, a ST for a CM and LM for LB, switching a natural CM to LB is well, to be brash, pretty stupid.

To lend a comedy skit off Al Murray, after 5 or so pints, everyone figures out of they can make England win the World Cup.

covcity4life

Another year. He lost his two best players early on and has still kept us competitive, if boring and a couple of awful games. He can hopefully see who the Sunday league players are now and move them on.

losing jones and andreu is why i would givhim 1 more year regardless of if we make playoffs or not

Terry Gibson's perm

I believe he should get another 12 months but needs to learn lessons in signing the right players and already I am not sure we have these trialists have all been kids we need some old dogs, the aim is to get out of this league not to find a bargain player to sell on and keep Joy happy. We don’t need kids that have been released from Wigan’s academy we need to spend that money on getting players like that bearded lump last night who will kick their way out of the league

skybluebeduff

Jesus wept, what has sacking managers done for us over the years.

I'll leave you a quote from Einstein:

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

Nick

Administrator
‘No Plan B’ is another bad football cliché. Analyse what you’ve just said, because your ‘Plan B’ sounds awfully like ‘Plan A’ but with Shipley LB and Reid on at presumable a weird quasi-centre-to-left midfield and Biamou on for our goal scorer. If you wanted to say Reid on for Shipley, I could maybe run with that as a valid critiscism, but Shipley at LB? He has neither the pace, nor the stamina to play a wing back role (that’s how our full backs play) and is even worse aerially than Haynes.

You say he changed a ‘winning’ team but he specifically said we needed to rest Bayliss, so he did and rightfully so. Since his induction, he’s consistently been a top performer of ours, so it defies logic to not start him against Lincoln. We beat Crawley playing that kind of system minus Shipley for JP. Also, just because we beat a poor Stevenage side with 10 men from the 37th minute doesn’t mean anything, Lincoln are a completely different proposition. Had we kept the team unchanged, I’m sure you and/or others would’ve complained Bayliss was left on the bench. In end, Bayliss got a goal and assited Shipley’s goal — so I think that selection speaks for itself. To me, the defence, like Yeovil, lost us that game, because again, there were some bad defensive performances. Hence I’ve suggested 5-3-2 to let Grimmer and Haynes be more attacking and keeping our central player, well, central.

We know Bayliss doesn’t work RM, but we wouldn’t know unless we tried it. I brought that point up to demonstrate how limited our options are at this stage of the system. So again, what changes would you make to the system? By your own admissions, you wouldn’t change anything to the system, and what changes you are suggestion are: a) nominal and b) not even grounded in decent rationale, a ST for a CM and LM for LB, switching a natural CM to LB is well, to be brash, pretty stupid.

To lend a comedy skit off Al Murray, after 5 or so pints, everyone figures out of they can make England win the World Cup.

It's not a cliche is it? Watching every game it's what actually happens. There is no will to change things if they aren't working, Colchester away he waits for them to take the lead before he starts making substitutions. Newport away the same but thankfully it worked then.

Yes Bayliss scored but other than that he was pretty much wasted last night, he would do some great touches but then his second touch would be awful and it would give the ball away. The game also passed him by as they were cutting out midfield and going long. Having Biamou there but slightly advanced it would have given us a bit more from set pieces and Biamou would have helped close down or pressure the long ball every time.

By Plan B I am talking about getting back into games, I know the defense were dog shit but it's how we react to try and get back into games to get a result.

The changes I suggested for last night were more realistic because we know Robins won't change things drastically mid game, hence he has to do like for like subs.

When we are chasing the game, why is a striker for a CAM stupid?

Why is suggesting Shipley at LB stupid when we have seen he can actually do a job there? If it's the case he is a natural CM why is he playing him at Left Midfield while we have a left sided midfielder on the bench with more assists than any other player?

It's not about thinking I could win the world cup, it's about seeing things that clearly aren't working and commenting on them week in, week out.

Also if you read my posts I've never called for him to be sacked, just to start reacting and addressing things. It's all well and good being angry and mr nasty but it won't do a thing if nothing comes from it.

It's like telling your kids if they do something then they will be in trouble, then when they do it nothing happening. It will just happen over and over.

Esoterica

For me this is mostly just a bit of end of season fatigue creeping in, accounting for the errors and inconsistent performance levels. As I said on another thread, McNulty, McDonald and Grimmer were all bench warmers last season in a league above and having barely played 30 games in a season before, will be hitting 50 games each by the close. Throw in Bayliss and Shipley who have both also struggled with tiredness and fitness in their first seasons in a physical league then it's a big ask for half the team to keep their levels up when it's unchartered territory for them. All 5 of them will be much stronger next season for it.
I've said all season I believe this squad was good enough for autos despite the loss of Jones and Andreu and although Robins has at times been slow to adapt/react, assuming JCH signs up for next year, with a new GK, LB, 2 wingers and new back up RB I think we'd be very well set for an autos push next year. I'd definitely give him a 2nd summer to finish his rebuilding and have a another crack at this league but his biggest signing should be a new assistant manager to help him sort out some of the fundamental issues like corners and throw ins we've had all season.

Last edited:

Ashdown

Give me new owners over a new manager anyday! It would increase the crowd, which would increase the income, which would increase the quality of the squad. That's what you should be wishing for!
Absolutely, the poison is at the top and trickling down with every poor and self interested decision they make. I don't doubt that they will look to sell on anyone with a value in the close season again, tell the usual pack of lies about ambition and progression, Alienate the fans who are not prepared to chuck them money up front with high prices and withdrawn offers. It must surely be time for a bit more court action anyway ?
Robins makes mistakes but from what I can make out he has us still in the frame despite crucial players being injured, kids having to take their chance and a very restricted budget.

Users who are viewing this thread