Realistic signings (1 Viewer)

Walsgrave

I know theres some on here who hate the saying 'itll be like a new signing when he comes back'.

Anyway, cant wait to see Jodi Jones again and how he does when fully fit. This whole episode of the last few months has probably been beneficial for him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I was visualising the different types of systems we could play with. Currently I anticipate a squad of 25:
GKs: Marosi
RWB: Dabo, CBs: (Rose, McFadzean, Hyam), LWB: New signing
RCDM: Walsh/new signing, LCDM: Hamer
RATM: Allen, LATM: O'Hare/new signing
Striker: Godden/new signing

Then the sub XI:
GKs: Turner
RWAB: Pask, CBs: (Drysdale, new signing, Williams), LWB: Mason
RCDM: Eccles, LCDM: Kelly
RATM: Westbrooke, LATM: Shipley
Striker: Baka/Biamou

That's without Jobello and Jones who have not featured this season. So with both of them, we could revert from the 5-3-2 to a 4-4-2/different system with wingers if and when we need to. The question of whether Jones and Jobello will be fit/up to scratch is a different one altogether! But I suspect that we will need them as part of the squad in the Championship and we'll need to change formation around every now and then, as realistically we won't be controlling games but rather be trying to resist other teams breaking us down.

Last edited:

Magwitch

A lot of players being suggested on here are good players yes,but are good division one players, we are and have to be in a different market now and there will be a lot of provern good championship players and premiership players looking for clubs, last season we signed 10 players only Marosi and Godden from league one clubs the others were provern championship players, signings and loans from higher division clubs or foreign. We were a much better team once they all bedded in. I suspect the same will happen now, maybe it already is as we have been linked with Hamer and a French player, as yet not denied.
Apparently according to Mark Robins he has been working for a few months on possible signings but in that time due to the current coronavirus issue the market will have changed significantly once championship promotions and relegations have been finalised a number of championship clubs will be back at the drawing board. Players values will drop, even those with just a year left on their contracts will lose transfer fee value.
Of those mentioned on here though I would definitely consider Dennis Politic, good player and only 20

SlowerThanPlatt

A lot of players being suggested on here are good players yes,but are good division one players, we are and have to be in a different market now and there will be a lot of provern good championship players and premiership players looking for clubs, last season we signed 10 players only Marosi and Godden from league one clubs the others were provern championship players, signings and loans from higher division clubs or foreign. We were a much better team once they all bedded in. I suspect the same will happen now, maybe it already is as we have been linked with Hamer and a French player, as yet not denied.
Apparently according to Mark Robins he has been working for a few months on possible signings but in that time due to the current coronavirus issue the market will have changed significantly once championship promotions and relegations have been finalised a number of championship clubs will be back at the drawing board. Players values will drop, even those with just a year left on their contracts will lose transfer fee value.
Of those mentioned on here though I would definitely consider Dennis Politic, good player and only 20

We didn’t sign any proven Championship players... the only players who came from higher divisions were Pask and Dabo who had never played a game at that level

stupot07

We didn’t sign any proven Championship players... the only players who came from higher divisions were Pask and Dabo who had never played a game at that level
And likewise Walsh and O'Hare on loan weren't proven Championship players.

You could argue that Allen and McFadzean played in the Championship but Burton had been relegated and back in league one.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Jose Holebas from Watford is out of contract in June so he could be a shout for left back and he is a decent prem player so could be amazing Champo or even Charlie Daniels another older left back out of contract from Bournemouth he has been promoted from the Champo and also is a decent player. Maybe even Cameron Botherwick Jackson from Man u a 23 yr old left back with heaps of potential possibly a Dabo at Left back

mrtrench

A lot of players being suggested on here are good players yes,but are good division one players, we are and have to be in a different market now and there will be a lot of provern good championship players and premiership players looking for clubs,

I very much doubt that we will be signing proven Premiership and Championship players - maybe one at a push. We cannot afford their wages even if they were free. I say, stick to the policy of acquiring young players from elsewhere. I'd rather go down, knowing that we are continually building for the future, than over-spend.

Winny the Bish

And likewise Walsh and O'Hare on loan weren't proven Championship players.

You could argue that Allen and McFadzean played in the Championship but Burton had been relegated and back in league one.

O'Hare had only shown he could do it at League 2 level before joining us.

stupot07

I'd also say, its important we get the right players that fit in the system rather than just sign proven players. And by right player I also mean their career trajectory. We've had plenty of championship and premier league proven players whilst in league one, but they have been on the downward trajectory and no longer worthy of their 'proven' tag. Kilbane, simeon jackson, etc.

Sky Blue Harry H

If we are after young players to sell on for millions, Kwame Poku of Colchester should be top of the list. 5 goals, 4 assists this season and he's only 18.

Are we really going to look at another Kwame - once bitten and all that! (although his stats / age look promising to be fair)

the rumpo kid

Jose Holebas from Watford is out of contract in June so he could be a shout for left back and he is a decent prem player so could be amazing Champo or even Charlie Daniels another older left back out of contract from Bournemouth he has been promoted from the Champo and also is a decent player. Maybe even Cameron Botherwick Jackson from Man u a 23 yr old left back with heaps of potential possibly a Dabo at Left back
Is that Charlie Daniels bloke the same one that had a fight in Georgia with the devil and a violin ?

SBAndy

Holebas is on £60k a week and is 35 years old.

Charlie Daniels’ leg has basically fallen off and he’s 33.

Borthwick-Jackson has played 6 games at L2 Oldham this season.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Holebas is on £60k a week and is 35 years old.

Charlie Daniels’ leg has basically fallen off and he’s 33.

Borthwick-Jackson has played 6 games at L2 Oldham this season.
Thank you for pointing this out. Feels like some people are playing football manager rather than reality. My guess would be we will have another transfer window where we all say 'who?' when our signings are announced with possibly the odd exception. Either way, I trust them to get it right.

Alkhen

When Sheff United went through the leagues what was their recruitment like?

Absolutely no research but I think they took the best players from the league below and a few older heads. Didn't feel like they went over the top.

SBT

I know theres some on here who hate the saying 'itll be like a new signing when he comes back'.

Anyway, cant wait to see Jodi Jones again and how he does when fully fit. This whole episode of the last few months has probably been beneficial for him.

I'd love to see him play and do well for us next season, but I'm guessing he won't get the amount of regular football he needs next season to kick on. I hope he goes to a L2 (or even L1) team on loan and dominates.

skyblueinBaku

Afternoon guys

signed up as I heard a few rumours

apparently interested in George Friend and a young lad from Bristol youth team, something Hewlett (always forget the first name)
At 32, I think Friend's age may be against him.

Warwickhunt

I think Hyam and Rose will flourish in the championship as they will not be facing so much aggression on the pitch and playing out from the back is more prelevant

Reactions: vow

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is that Charlie Daniels bloke the same one that had a fight in Georgia with the devil and a violin ?

I doubt it. Hope we sign him though because he told me once he's the best there's ever been.

Also had a hugely misheard lyric in that song. After #devil's in the house of the rising sun# I swear the following lyric was #pulling his prick and picking his nose#

jto123

Is there any logic in thinking that for loan players we are in a stronger position because of the football we play and that Robins is great at developing players? Could just be wishful thinking on my behalf, but surely if you wanted your player to improve, you would pick us over many championship clubs.

EAst ender

I noticed a couple of posters mentioned players OOC at our place.
Matty Taylor - Good intelligent player, absolute legend for leaving them up the road to come to us for a pittance. Works really hard and knows where the net is, not sure he's top Championship standard. We'll always have the Man Utd memory. You could do a lot worse.
Bailey Wright - Looks like he's going to Sunderland on a free. Very affable fella and a very good leader. One of those that's very good in L1 but maybe not quite there for the Championship. Once again, could do worse as that's a captain anywhere.
Korey Smith - Gutted is the phrase I would use as it looks like Korey is being released. The last surviving member of our promotion team and an excellent defensive midfielder. He's had a couple of nasty injuries over the last couple of years but we look a better side with him in it. A mistake letting him go IMHO. Scored the winner v Man U last year 'and it's Smith' - chaos. Get on the blower to him now, great player and championship experienced.

All on frees.
I hope this helps. Essentially, go get Korey.

hamil99

Facebook User
Is there any logic in thinking that for loan players we are in a stronger position because of the football we play and that Robins is great at developing players? Could just be wishful thinking on my behalf, but surely if you wanted your player to improve, you would pick us over many championship clubs.

That's what I've been thinking too. Don't know where he is at now, but Sterling definitely improved under us last year, O'Hare and Walsh this year. Other teams must see us as a good place for their more highly rated youngest to develop.

Edit. Sterlings at Wigan on loan.

skybluesboy91

I noticed a couple of posters mentioned players OOC at our place.
Matty Taylor - Good intelligent player, absolute legend for leaving them up the road to come to us for a pittance. Works really hard and knows where the net is, not sure he's top Championship standard. We'll always have the Man Utd memory. You could do a lot worse.
Bailey Wright - Looks like he's going to Sunderland on a free. Very affable fella and a very good leader. One of those that's very good in L1 but maybe not quite there for the Championship. Once again, could do worse as that's a captain anywhere.
Korey Smith - Gutted is the phrase I would use as it looks like Korey is being released. The last surviving member of our promotion team and an excellent defensive midfielder. He's had a couple of nasty injuries over the last couple of years but we look a better side with him in it. A mistake letting him go IMHO. Scored the winner v Man U last year 'and it's Smith' - chaos. Get on the blower to him now, great player and championship experienced.

All on frees.
I hope this helps. Essentially, go get Korey.

Have you heard anything about Hewlett? Heard he’s got a reputation around Bristol as a bit of party boy who likes the Charlie? Any ideas?

Sky

Anyone thought about Richard Keogh? Got released after that incident at Derby but has been a captain in a team consistently challenging for play offs and still has a couple of good years left you would think

Users who are viewing this thread