Question of sport trio axed. (3 Viewers)

1nilandwe...

Speaking of the Gammonati, Alan Brazil nearly gave himself an aneurysm this morning because they’ve tweaked the Fruit Pastilles recipe to make them Vegan Friendly.

Standard ‘if they don’t like them just don’t eat them’ response will have filled the snowflake brigade full of early morning bravado.
The irony of this sort of statement is completely lost on those who say it. Yes, Alan. Don't f***ing eat them then!
This is also and especially true of "if you don't like it here, you can f*** off somewhere else." Yes. And so can you. So, feel free to do one.

David O'Day

Come, come now David. You know that equality means that only a very limited and specific number of black people can appear on TV at any one time. Any more than a representative proportion of the general population is quota filling and box ticking. Same thing with women. They can have 50% of the jobs, but not one more. That's fair isn't it?

Mate, if it's a women and she's not doing a cooking cooking show i'm seeing red!

David O'Day

The irony of this sort of statement is completely lost on those who say it. Yes, Alan. Don't f***ing eat them then!
This is also and especially true of "if you don't like it here, you can f*** off somewhere else." Yes. And so can you. So, feel free to do one.

It's like the vegan steak bake wars of 2019! Lads you can still by a normal steak bake

Brighton Sky Blue

the same BBC that allowed non MP Nigel Farage to appear more times on QT this century than anyone else except Ken Clarke?

I was more going off the quotes from the boss and the hiring/firing/promotion policy. One is about not wanting to be accused of being ‘lefty’ the other about not wanting to be called sexist or racist. It’s BS on both sides

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Yes and when I posted that they hadn't announced her so your point is what exactly?

You think it was fine, most didn't as per the reviews and ratings.

Ho the fuck is it box ticking? Please prove to me that she was given the job because she is female and black? Go on

Can't? I'll be like most normal people and think highly decorated sports person with experience of presenting gets job presenting sports quiz? Nothing strange there.

You deffo tick a box though
You and a few others are hell bent on turning every thread into just another version of the EU / George Floyd thread because that's all you . A bunch of one trick ponies.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I was convinced that when Sue Barker was appointed there was a similar meltdown to this but I couldn't find it anything about it but Richard Osman said on Twitter there was. Gammon gonna to gammon.

I seem to remember there was (and specifically my nan was outraged a woman was presenting - you should have seen her when Suzi Perry was hosting the WSB/MotoGP/F1). But to be fair Barker was pretty shit at the start IMO and still isn't a 'natural' - she's just become more at ease over the years.

Given most BBC sports coverage I'll be amazed if it's not Balding as one captain and Chapman as the other. They present almost everything bloody else.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I remember stuff in the media ie newspapers and comments on TV, obviously no social media then like it is today but there was definitely a lot of a woman doing a man’s job, whatever next type commentary.

We've had the same with female officials, female commentators etc as if the rules of a game are too hard for the pretty little lady to understand. Same as women couldn't be trusted to vote because putting a cross in a box was beyond their comprehension, but when it comes to keeping small, helpless human beings alive they're more than capable.

David O'Day

I seem to remember there was (and specifically my nan was outraged a woman was presenting - you should have seen her when Suzi Perry was hosting the WSB/MotoGP/F1). But to be fair Barker was pretty shit at the start IMO and still isn't a 'natural' - she's just become more at ease over the years.

Given most BBC sports coverage I'll be amazed if it's not Balding as one captain and Chapman as the other. They present almost everything bloody else.

Barker just now has a "if in doubt laugh" style of presenting

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I'd encourage you to go and remind yourself of who started the thread. And then re-read the first few posts.
I know who started it. I mentioned the word " diversity " I'd encourage you to look up the definition. It's not all back and white don't you know, although some want it "George Floyd 2" the one trick ponies who like to keep saying " gammon" because it's jolly well hilarious in their little world.

skybluetony176

Speaking of the Gammonati, Alan Brazil nearly gave himself an aneurysm this morning because they’ve tweaked the Fruit Pastilles recipe to make them Vegan Friendly.

Standard ‘if they don’t like them just don’t eat them’ response will have filled the snowflake brigade full of early morning bravado.
Was waiting for this. Nobody has been waiting for fruit pastels to change in no way whatsoever other than substitute animal gelatine for a plant based gelatine. Snowflakes ahoy.

skybluetony176

My other half is a strict vegan (although I’m happy to report she hasn’t given up meat entirely;)) so she’s in numerous vegan chat groups on various platforms and she’s always saying such and such a product no longer contains animal products. There’s actually a quite revolution going on in the food industry where they’re changing ingredients without advertising it to make them vegetarian and vegan friendly. The fruit pastel announcement is a bit unusual in that way and the only reason I can think of for other companies not doing that is because of the reaction from the gammonati.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We've had the same with female officials, female commentators etc as if the rules of a game are too hard for the pretty little lady to understand. Same as women couldn't be trusted to vote because putting a cross in a box was beyond their comprehension, but when it comes to keeping small, helpless human beings alive they're more than capable.
Who said women couldn't understand the rules of football ?

wingy

My other half is a strict vegan (although I’m happy to report she hasn’t given up meat entirely;)) so she’s in numerous vegan chat groups on various platforms and she’s always saying such and such a product no longer contains animal products. There’s actually a quite revolution going on in the food industry where they’re changing ingredients without advertising it to make them vegetarian and vegan friendly. The fruit pastel announcement is a bit unusual in that way and the only reason I can think of for other companies not doing that is because of the reaction from the gammonati.
Ooh they're my favourites .
Deffo buying a couple of tubes next time I pop to the shop .
Order of preference.
Blackcurrant.
Orange.
Strawberry.
Lime.
Lemon. ☺

David O'Day

guiness is vegan as well now

Grendel

Or it could be in this instance the person seems not to have great credentials - she was pushed for the Culture job with the Government with zero experience and it seems odd. People might just might in this case have a point

1nilandwe...

Or it could be in this instance the person seems not to have great credentials - she was pushed for the Culture job with the Government with zero experience and it seems odd. People might just might in this case have a point
And what exactly are the required credentials for hosting a sports quiz on the telly? And which of those credentials does Ms. Scott not possess?

clint van damme

What has a government brief got to do with presenting a sports show?

And lack of experience hasn't held back anyone else in the cabinet, neither has lack of intelligence or bone idleness for that matter.

Grendel

And what exactly are the required credentials for hosting a sports quiz on the telly? And which of those credentials does Ms. Scott not possess?

I was talking about her credentials as the football expert on the culture committee - what are her qualifications for that role?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I was talking about her credentials as the football expert on the culture committee - what are her qualifications for that role?

Well we're not - we're talking about hosting a panel show on TV. Besides which as the football expert on the culture committee try a 15 year footballing career and 140 England caps.

And if you want to talk about qualifications for roles in government - what qualifications do most politicians have that make them suitable for the ministerial roles they're given? What qualifications has Dido Harding got for her role both in terms of previous performance and in that particular industry?

David O'Day

Classic whataboutery.

If Alex Scott is not an expert on football then who is? No answer needed as we are talking about hosting QoS.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Who said women couldn't understand the rules of football ?

Loads of people. Could give anecdotal evidence of the amount of moaners just near me when we had our first female assistant ref and claims that they'd be useless because "what do women know about football?" I imagine it was similar at grounds up and down the lands.

But if you want a more definitive answer try Andy Gray and Richard Keys.

Grendel

Well we're not - we're talking about hosting a panel show on TV. Besides which as the football expert on the culture committee try a 15 year footballing career and 140 England caps.

And if you want to talk about qualifications for roles in government - what qualifications do most politicians have that make them suitable for the ministerial roles they're given? What qualifications has Dido Harding got for her role both in terms of previous performance and in that particular industry?

You are inflating her knowledge of football by claiming 140 caps in a very different sport to the one 99% of the supporters follows which again was another point I made - it’s trying to to get an Equal status to a vastly more popular version.

chiefdave

They should have done what Channel 4 did, and team up Johnny Vegas and Johnny Peacock. The two Johnnies.
Jonnie Peacock would be a good shout for a team captain. He's been on the Last Leg a few times and is decent on that. Also has profile from doing Strictly. I'd have gone with Alex Scott as a team captain rather than presenter but there's not really an obvious choice for presenter so why not give her a go.

Not sure why there's such outrage at the change. Watched it the other week for the first time in years, had caught a documentary while channel surfing which prompted me to watch, and its a shadow of its former self. As others have mentioned doesn't know if it wants to be an old style sports quiz or A League of Their Own. Although a refresh might not resolve that issue. If the BBC want a LOTO clone why not bring back They Think Its All Over?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Are you asking because you don't know which qualities she has?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Loads of people. Could give anecdotal evidence of the amount of moaners just near me when we had our first female assistant ref and claims that they'd be useless because "what do women know about football?" I imagine it was similar at grounds up and down the lands.

But if you want a more definitive answer try Andy Gray and Richard Keys.
That's two. I'm sure there are plenty of blokes who moan that other blokes know nothing about football.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You are inflating her knowledge of football by claiming 140 caps in a very different sport to the one 99% of the supporters follows which again was another point I made - it’s trying to to get an Equal status to a vastly more popular version.

Just because she has to play at a standard that doesn't attract as much interest publicly has no relation to her knowledge of the sport overall for the culture committee.

What exactly could a male ex-pro bring in terms of knowledge of the game beyond what it's like in the dressing room/training in the man's game? And how would that be of particular use for a public celebration of football culture? She has as much knowledge of playing at the top level she is able to achieve and enjoys spectating/reporting on both mens and womens football. She spends her whole working life around the game in various capacities. That qualifies her.

Users who are viewing this thread