Question of sport trio axed. (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Classic whataboutery.

If Alex Scott is not an expert on football then who is? No answer needed as we are talking about hosting QoS.
This sounds like you are saying no one knows more about football than Alex Scott. She knows a fair bit about women's football I assume. Most people are not interested in women's football. Most people follow men's football.
That's a fact.

1nilandwe...

You are inflating her knowledge of football by claiming 140 caps in a very different sport to the one 99% of the supporters follows which again was another point I made - it’s trying to to get an Equal status to a vastly more popular version.
This suggests pretty plainly that the only reason that she is not suitable for these roles, is because she is a woman, and if she were a man, you wouldn't be asking the same questions of her.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Imagine being able to get a job and people don't automatically assume it's because of your skin colour. Must be some sort of privilege...
Shouldn't you put this on the George Floyd thread ? That's where you can play your enduring race card.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Literally nobody else is talking about this.
They are, which is disappointing for those wanting to keep the race issue bubbling. Nice try.

Nick

Administrator
This suggests pretty plainly that the only reason that she is not suitable for these roles, is because she is a woman, and if she were a man, you wouldn't be asking the same questions of her.

Guess it depends.

A man who had played Saturday Football would still have those questions asked surely?

Ring Of Steel

Just because she has to play at a standard that doesn't attract as much interest publicly has no relation to her knowledge of the sport overall for the culture committee.

What exactly could a male ex-pro bring in terms of knowledge of the game beyond what it's like in the dressing room/training in the man's game? And how would that be of particular use for a public celebration of football culture? She has as much knowledge of playing at the top level she is able to achieve and enjoys spectating/reporting on both mens and womens football. She spends her whole working life around the game in various capacities. That qualifies her.

They should give Ron Atkinson the job, he'd cut through all this PC & diversity nonsense.

clint van damme

This sounds like you are saying no one knows more about football than Alex Scott. She knows a fair bit about women's football I assume. Most people are not interested in women's football. Most people follow men's football.
That's a fact.

So you don't thi k Sue Barker is qualified for the job either? What about David Coleman and Vine?

rob9872

I prefer female assistant refs as they have twice as many holes I can tell them to shove their flag up

Grendel

Actually I would. I think she’s getting kind as she is a woman. She will probably be in doctor who soon

Grendel

skybluetony176

I was talking about her credentials as the football expert on the culture committee - what are her qualifications for that role?
Aside from playing at the highest level of her sport both here and in the US, played in the World Cup, an Olympian, opened the first academy for women’s football in the U.K., media work etc?

wingy

What on earth is the issue here.
She is patiently qualified for the role required.
Sue has had a great run as presenter, maybe she was controversial taking over from a man.
Regards the rest I couldn't give a ?
It's very tired and dated,and I'd wager not quite as spontaneous as appears .

skybluetony176

Well we're not - we're talking about hosting a panel show on TV. Besides which as the football expert on the culture committee try a 15 year footballing career and 140 England caps.

And if you want to talk about qualifications for roles in government - what qualifications do most politicians have that make them suitable for the ministerial roles they're given? What qualifications has Dido Harding got for her role both in terms of previous performance and in that particular industry?
The task force grendull is on about was a task force to find ways to keep football going during Covid. As well as Alex Scott the task force consisted of Michael Grade, a Spanish Ballet dancer and the founder of last minute.com. The irony being clearly Alex Scott and possibly Michael Grade were the only two people with any sort of qualification on the matter. Maybe Grendull was being critical of the government.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Go back and have a look. Find the first post about her role with the government.
Grendel brought it up out of nowhere.
Why not post it then ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

So you don't thi k Sue Barker is qualified for the job either? What about David Coleman and Vine?
Where have I said Alex Scott should be hosting the show ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What on earth is the issue here.
She is patiently qualified for the role required.
Sue has had a great run as presenter, maybe she was controversial taking over from a man.
Regards the rest I couldn't give a ?
It's very tired and dated,and I'd wager not quite as spontaneous as appears .
Wingy, I like the way you call her "Sue". Sounds a little intimate almost.

Evo1883

Your daughters playing .
If she reached a similar pinnacle would that really in your opinion equate to Sunday league/pub level?

I know of a certain pub team when I was playing that had several current and former semi pro footballers playing for them... I don't think women's football is comparible to semi pro male football... Il never say that to my daughters.. They won't read this.

It's not so much the natural ability, it's the strength power and pace, they just cannot compete

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I suppose so, yes.
I'm asking because your post suggested that you know. And I am interested in your response.
I think you need charisma on a panel show like this. Some have it, some don't.
I recall thinking Emelyn Hughes, Ally McCoist , Ian Botham, Willie Carson were all big hitters in their sport who were natural leaders and who just had it. Not so much Bill Beaumont and nor Dawson. Most of the others I can't remember at all.

I've already said I think Nicola Adams has loads of charisma, is a household name and a natural bubbly personality. Dion Dublin is certainly worth a punt and Dame Kelly Holmes is another contender. I think it's about time we had a female as a team captain for a change.
I just don't think Alex Scott would fit the bill. Put her on as a team member, but not as captain. I'd say the same about Jermaine Janus. They just haven't got enough charisma to do it week in week out without the show becoming boring fairly quickly.

wingy

I know of a certain pub team when I was playing that had several current and former semi pro footballers playing for them... I don't think women's football is comparible to semi pro male football... Il never say that to my daughters.. They won't read this.

It's not so much the natural ability, it's the strength power and pace, they just cannot compete
Not against men,no I wouldn't expect apart from the odd 'Star' player, but against their peers I've seen some terrific games.

Macca

Programme is shite. Barker is nothing special, Dawson an absolute bellend and Tufnell has done the one trick bit of a spanner pony for too long. Like most TV it’s big on gimmick low on content. Alex will make it throughly bearable in my humble opinion

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Programme is shite. Barker is nothing special, Dawson an absolute bellend and Tufnell has done the one trick bit of a spanner pony for too long. Like most TV it’s big on gimmick low on content. Alex will make it throughly bearable in my humble opinion
It just needs freshening up. Whoever is captain needs to be able to send themselves up, not be afraid to look silly, be a good team player and have some laughs that the viewers and audience can respond to .
Is that Alex Scott ? Most people haven't even heard of Alex Scott. Most people have heard of Nicola Adams.

Users who are viewing this thread