Question of sport trio axed. (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

Good thing the internet was in its infancy when Sue Barker took over so she didn't have to see dullards scream about box ticking quotas and receive anonymous threats by people who didn't give a single fuck about the program until then

skyblueeyesrevisited

I shall ignore your childish response and reiterate my point that diversity is not just about racism. And it’s not just the BBC. Other high profile presenters have recently lost their jobs to Ageism. David Gower and Clive Tydlesley come to mind.

clint van damme

BBC’s cack-handed approach to diversity. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’d offered the gig to Ashley Banjo.

Or maybe Darren Grimes or Nigel Farage.
Farage has the highest number of QT appearances and Crimes continues to be given air time despite the fact he's clearly a racist - not sure where that fits in with 'the quota'.

David O'Day

I shall ignore your childish response and reiterate my point that diversity is not just about racism. And it’s not just the BBC. Other high profile presenters have recently lost their jobs to Ageism. David Gower and Clive Tydlesley come to mind.

I'll ask you this question, what makes you think she got the job because she is black? Do you have inside knowledge or are you just assuming that because she is black that is the reason she got the job?

skyblueeyesrevisited

Read my post again. I haven’t made such a comment. I have merely raised the point of what diversity means. A point obviously lost on you Mr keyboard warrior. I bid you good day.

David O'Day

Read my post again. I haven’t made such a comment. I have merely raised the point of what diversity means. A point obviously lost on you Mr keyboard warrior. I bid you good day.

You claimed it was a quota hire, let's not lie about what you said. You said they may as well have hired Ashley Banjo.

What evidence do you have that hiring an experienced international footballer with 140 caps, who is a qualified broadcast journalist and has previous presenting experience is a diversity quota hire? Or do you assume all done white people only get there jobs as part of a diversity scheme?

shmmeee

Or maybe Darren Grimes or Nigel Farage.
Farage has the highest number of QT appearances and Crimes continues to be given air time despite the fact he's clearly a racist - not sure where that fits in with 'the quota'.

The BBC have long had a minimum 70:30 idiot:expert split TBF. The original quota.

skyblueeyesrevisited

You claimed it was a quota hire, let's not lie about what you said. You said they may as well have hired Ashley Banjo.

What evidence do you have that hiring an experienced international footballer with 140 caps, who is a qualified broadcast journalist and has previous presenting experience is a diversity quota hire? Or do you assume all done white people only get there jobs as part of a diversity scheme?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

rob9872

Scott will be ok but for a proper refresh she needs to be at 43 the elder statesman if they update properly. Most of the names mentioned have long since retired and mostly already in their 40's. Even talk of Ally who whilst great had his time years ago. I'd go for those just finishing or much younger. Possibly Sam Quek as one captain who seems bubbly sporty and fun on most things (she's 31) and maybe Eoin Morgan (36) who is entering the latter stages of his career.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'll ask you this question, what makes you think she got the job because she is black? Do you have inside knowledge or are you just assuming that because she is black that is the reason she got the job?

IF she gets the job it will be because she's qualified to do it from both a sporting pedigree and broadcasting angle. Not because she's black.

However if, all other things being equal, it was between her and a white male it is likely that being both black and female would give a slight advantage to her over the other candidate due to the desire to be seen as diverse. Similarly being gay/bi/trans and in some cases disabled can help push your career. I'm not saying it's a bad thing as some of those groups are massively underrepresented and as long as they're qualified and able to do the job I've no issue with it.

David O'Day

IF she gets the job it will be because she's qualified to do it from both a sporting pedigree and broadcasting angle. Not because she's black.

However if, all other things being equal, it was between her and a white male it is likely that being both black and female would give a slight advantage to her over the other candidate due to the desire to be seen as diverse. Similarly being gay/bi/trans and in some cases disabled can help push your career. I'm not saying it's a bad thing as some of those groups are massively underrepresented and as long as they're qualified and able to do the job I've no issue with it.

So any black female that gets a job ahead of a white male only gets it in part because they are black and female?

That is what you are saying.

Blind-Faith

However if, all other things being equal, it was between her and a white male it is likely that being both black and female would give a slight advantage to her over the other candidate. - then this is wrong , they should have no advantage at all because of being black and female, should be totally equal , but they will keep kicking up a stink and playing the race card/advantage where ever they can

clint van damme

However if, all other things being equal, it was between her and a white male it is likely that being both black and female would give a slight advantage to her over the other candidate. - then this is wrong , they should have no advantage at all because of being black and female, should be totally equal , but they will keep kicking up a stink and playing the race card/advantage where ever they can

you've no evidence this is true.
As requested earlier, but no one has answered, why is Farage given a disproportionate amount of air time if the BBC is on such a diversity drive?
Why is Darren Grimes given air time even after his Starkey interview?
What is the race card?

shmmeee

you've no evidence this is true.
As requested earlier, but no one has answered, why is Farage given a disproportionate amount of air time if the BBC is on such a diversity drive?
Why is Darren Grimes given air time even after his Starkey interview?
What is the race card?

EFE25C0B-FDAD-489C-A2BD-A791E2B7220C.jpeg

Don’t get it myself. Maybe some reference to how an interest in horses gets you in with the upper class? ;)

clint van damme

View attachment 17028

Don’t get it myself. Maybe some reference to how an interest in horses gets you in with the upper class? ;)

It's slowly dawning on some people that saying a professional sportswoman with a degree in media and broadcasting isn't qualified to present the show sounds a bit suspect so now they're making up an imaginary scenario where shed be given the job over a white man just so they can get there rage on!

Fucking mental.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Its not about degrees or even colour, God forbid. It's about being good in front of an audience and on camera on a game show for sports enthusiasts. Pure and simple.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Great post. I think that's pretty spot on. And before anyone points the finger it's not racist, its expressing what SBD thinks is in the minds of the BBC.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So any black female that gets a job ahead of a white male only gets it in part because they are black and female?

That is what you are saying.

Not what I said at all.

I said that qualifications/experience will be the main factor. IF all those factors are the same then her being female and black could be an advantage due to wanting to promote a more diverse set-up, especially in prominent and important roles where they've been underrepresented.

To make this clear.
If a man/white/straight goes for the job with a higher profile, more outstanding professional career both in the sport and in broadcasting they should get the job.
If a woman/black/gay goes for the job with a higher profile, more outstanding professional career both in the sport and in broadcasting they should get the job.
If they have the same profile and experience then being female/black/gay may well get them the job for reasons of diversity.

Having said that it's far more likely that someone will get a job due to their connections and who they know rather than because they're a minority.

David O'Day

What you said was " However if, all other things being equal, it was between her and a white male it is likely that being both black and female would give a slight advantage to her over the other candidate due to the desire to be seen as diverse. "

This is stating that a BAME candidate is likely in competitive field to be given a job because they BAME.

Bullshit

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What you said was " However if, all other things being equal, it was between her and a white male it is likely that being both black and female would give a slight advantage to her over the other candidate due to the desire to be seen as diverse. "

This is stating that a BAME candidate is likely in competitive field to be given a job because they BAME.

Bullshit

Imagine you're an employer, esp someone as high profile and supposedly left wing as the BBC. There is a big issue about minorities not being given enough opportunities, esp in prominent or authority positions. You have two candidates that are professionally equal but one would help fulfil that issue. That is going to come into your thinking at some level. In the past undoubtedly it would've worked against them and the job would certainly go to the white, straight, male because he'd be percieved as more able just due to those traits.

Look at politics and how much was being made of how many women/BAME candidates parties had, and how many women there were in the cabinet/shadow cabinet. It shouldn't even be mentioned - it should solely be on if they're the best for the job. But the fact they brought it up without being prompted shows that it's part of their intrinsic thinking when choosing.

David O'Day

Imagine you're an employer, esp someone as high profile and supposedly left wing as the BBC. There is a big issue about minorities not being given enough opportunities, esp in prominent or authority positions. You have two candidates that are professionally equal but one would help fulfil that issue. That is going to come into your thinking at some level. In the past undoubtedly it would've worked against them and the job would certainly go to the white, straight, male because he'd be percieved as more able just due to those traits.

Look at politics and how much was being made of how many women/BAME candidates parties had, and how many women there were in the cabinet/shadow cabinet. It shouldn't even be mentioned - it should solely be on if they're the best for the job. But the fact they brought it up without being prompted shows that it's part of their intrinsic thinking when choosing.

I've shown a study that shows BAME candidates are less likely to get a reply regarding jobs they apply for.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Oxford studies show candidates with non English sounding names are far less likely to get a job that someone with an "English" name.

Which is wrong. I support 'blind' CV's. But this is a different situation. If you're employing someone in a factory/office you've got no idea what those candidates are like as you'll likely never have met them. Nowadays you could ask for social media accounts and do a bit of background but on the whole you're going into it with no knowledge at all other than what is in front of you. There is still bias, conscious or not.

But this situation is high profile and those that will be considered will be known quantities and thus that total lack of knowledge on the individual doesn't apply, plus it's exactly the kind of position that is being said is underrepresented by minorities. And so that could be enough to get them the gig over someone else equally as qualified and competent.

SBT

You're pretty much right, but not every manager is going to be that cynical about it. More and more bosses are aware now that if they are faced with two candidates who look the same on paper, it may be that the one who's had to overcome all kinds of bias and bullshit just to get to that position (whether it's age, race, gender, disability, or whatever) may have always had something a little bit extra.

And that's even before you get to the very real benefits of having a diverse team. How many companies make screw-ups because not a single one of their decision-makers was anything other than an old white bloke?

shmmeee

You're pretty much right, but not every manager is going to be that cynical about it. More and more bosses are aware now that if they are faced with two candidates who look the same on paper, it may be that the one who's had to overcome all kinds of bias and bullshit just to get to that position (whether it's age, race, gender, disability, or whatever) may have always had something a little bit extra.

And that's even before you get to the very real benefits of having a diverse team. How many companies make screw-ups because not a single one of their decision-makers was anything other than an old white bloke?

While I’m all for diversity for all kinds of reasons, not sure the science bears out the idea that diverse groups perform better TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread