Paul Cook (4 Viewers)

Evo1883

From what I can see they spent a similar amount to us - Agard was £750,000 the same as Godden
They comfortably had the biggest wage bill in league 1... Thats money spent.

They got promoted from league 1... Not league 2 and league 1 like Robins... What's your argument?

SlowerThanPlatt

They comfortably had the biggest wage bill in league 1... Thats money spent.

They got promoted from league 1... Not league 2 and league 1 like Robins... What's your argument?

He won League 2 with Notts County - he has more promotions on his CV than Robins. They are totally comparable

Evo1883

tbf, Steve Cotterill is an entirely decent manager.

Totally irrelevant though, when we already have an entirely decent manager at the club already.

I agree he's a decent manager... But he never did what Robins did... That's all I'm stating and it's a fact

Colin Steins Smile

Fans who make comparisons with other managers either here or other clubs need to consider the environment that MR is working in.

He inherited a club with a totally disaffected fan base following years of bad strategic and operational decisions.

The financial state of the club was extremely difficult and the playing squad was very poor.

He’s established a infrastructure, including scouting, coaching and sports science support that previously didn’t exist.

He has improved relationships with us as fans and seems to have a positive working relationship with the CEO.

Finally, the results has increased external revenue into the club from L2 of £1m per season to circa £7m.

So please stop trying to compare the current manager with e.g. Phil Neal. At least he had a ground to play at & splashed out £1m on Dion Dublin... all that time ago.

Evo1883

He won League 2 with Notts County - he has more promotions on his CV than Robins. They are totally comparable

Again... No

Cotteril never took *A basket case of a club * from league 2 to the championship rebuilding it from top to bottom.

It's a nonsense comparison, and totally incorrect

Many managers have won promotion from league 2, doesn't mean they are Robins equal...

How many managers have taken a club like ours, in our predicament... To 2 promotions in 3 years in the football league... Please try and tell me

We've played 2 seasons after this at somebody else's ground to throw into the mix

NorthernWisdom

I agree he's a decent manager... But he never did what Robins did... That's all I'm stating and it's a fact
I think you're going down a rabbit hole with this really. His job at Cheltenham was astonishing, given his budget, and where the club was when he took over, steadying Portsmouth given their circumstances was a top, top job, his firing up of Notts County was remarkable.

You could equally argue Robins has done none of that ;)

How about we just agree that Robins has done enough here that considering his future is the very definition of insanity. That's the fight we need to have here, not running down other capable managers ;)

SlowerThanPlatt

Again... No

Cotteril never took *A basket case of a club * from league 2 to the championship rebuilding it from top to bottom.

Many managers have won promotion from league 2, doesn't mean they are Robins equal...

How many managers have taken a club like ours, in our predicament... To 2 promotions in 3 years in the football league... Please try and tell me

We've played 2 seasons after this at somebody else's ground to throw into the mix

Lol - surely that’s down to when both took the job. Cotterill took it before Christmas iirc and Robins with 10 games remaining. Cotterill never had the chance to manage to Bristol City in League 2 as he turned it round quickly to finish 12th

Grendel

Again... No

Robins finished 6th in league 2 it was hardly massive success I’d have expected him to go then if that had not been achieved - even Presley achieved survival in league 1 when we were far more a basket case

Tommo1993

It’s just a lesson that we need to spend more than our means to be good enough. What a stupid game.

Evo1883

I think you're going down a rabbit hole with this really. His job at Cheltenham was astonishing, given his budget, and where the club was when he took over, steadying Portsmouth given their circumstances was a top, top job, his firing up of Notts County was remarkable.

You could equally argue Robins has done none of that ;)

How about we just agree that Robins has done enough that considering his future is the very definition of insanity. That's the fight we need to have here, not running down other capable managers ;)
Ok.. I accept that he's a decent manager... I stated this.

I also feel its very reasonable to put an extra star on the achievement of somebody who has won 2 promotions in 3 years, 1 season played already out the city rebuilding the club all the way up, changing the football philosophy right the way through to the academies and changing the entire culture of a football club....

And not once had the biggest budget in the league.

This is where they differ, would Cotteril have been able to come here and do that, nobody knows... But I'd argue no

Evo1883

Robins finished 6th in league 2 it was hardly massive success I’d have expected him to go then if that had not been achieved - even Presley achieved survival in league 1 when we were far more a basket case

Oh dear, pressley had a pretty good side handed to him... Then when he sadly got the opportunity to build his own... Most of us spent matches flashing phone torches at each other

One of the worst managers I've ever witnessed at the club

Evo1883

Lol - surely that’s down to when both took the job. Cotterill took it before Christmas iirc and Robins with 10 games remaining. Cotterill never had the chance to manage to Bristol City in League 2 as he turned it round quickly to finish 12th

I dont get the laugh tbh... You are comparing a situation where the club had good spending power and a healthy wage bill, to a club that went down to league 2 and started again effectively.

The Bristol argument is frankly absurd, the situations not at all alike and I don't... Once again... Get that comparison

The only way Robins and Cotteril compared in league 1, is that they both won promotion playing wing backs... That's as far as the comparison goes

Grendel

Oh dear, pressley had a pretty good side handed to him... Then when he sadly got the opportunity to build his own... Most of us spent matches flashing phone torches at each other

One of the worst managers I've ever witnessed at the club

He had a 10 point handicap and a move with 1,000 fans attending

Whereas robins could sign McNulty and Godden he had to loan Josh McQuiod - that’s my point - robins had been backed by these owners far more than any manager since Coleman

SlowerThanPlatt

I dont get the laugh tbh... You are comparing a situation where the club had good spending power and a healthy wage bill, to a club that went down to league 2 and started again effectively.

The Bristol argument is frankly absurd, the situations not at all alike and I don't... Once again... Get that comparison

He also won promotion with Notts County and Cheltenham

In terms of Robins, Ainsworth has achieved 2 promotions too with a considerably smaller budget both times than us

Evo1883

Let me ask though Grendel, because this will just go through a pointless cycle.

I need to know what is it about Robins that you've never liked.. Because he's given you pretty much what you wanted over the last 3 years... Make it make sense for me?

Last edited:

Evo1883

He also won promotion with Notts County and Cheltenham

In terms of Robins, Ainsworth has achieved 2 promotions too with a considerably smaller budget both times than us

This is true and should be commended... Although you'd argue that an extreme slice of luck fell his way for him to be able to pursue his promotion last year...

Wed have gone up anyway tbh, I very much doubt they would have

Warwickhunt

i propose that Robins and Vivesh spent the next two days training them in the art of trapping a ball with one touch!!! The fucking basics of football were appaling last night.

Evo1883

Also Cotteril at Notts County... Ffs go look up that season, they were take over and spent ... Jesus christ they had Lee Hughes and kasper schmeichal.... Deffo never spent a penny on wages either... Just had sol Campbell on the books too at one point, Jonnie Jackson that played for spurs 🤔 loaning in matt Ritchie

Long story short... Not even remotely Comparible

DannyThomas_1981

If some people really would rather keep Robins then have a shot at staying up they belong on a different forum.

If some people cannot see how Robins has transformed this club then they belong on a different planet.

Also for what it's worth - our track record in appointing new managers to achieve instant success - well let's just say it's not been over successful.

Grendel

If some people cannot see how Robins has transformed this club then they belong on a different planet.

Also for what it's worth - our track record in appointing new managers to achieve instant success - well let's just say it's not been over successful.

He hasn’t transformed the club if we get relegated

DannyThomas_1981

Better than Milne a man who was interviewed for the England job? Someone who worked on no budget from the mid 70’s and recruited bargain talent?

I’d even put mad as a hat Gould’s achievement of survival in season 1 as an achievement

Phil Neal managed a respectable top flight finish with a very poor squad

Then there is Sillett

Let me understand this; you rate Gouldy and Phil Neal as better managers than Robins?

This is the same Robins we are talking about - the man who inherited a team in absolute free-fall and has engineered two promotions back to the Championship with limited funds whilst playing outside of Cov? And playing some of the best passing football I have seen in my time watching the club.

Clueless doesn't begin to even start to cover your lack of football knowledge.

DannyThomas_1981

He hasn’t transformed the club if we get relegated

Last time I checked we had 3/4s of the season left.

You last called for a taxi for Robins in December; 3 months later we were top of the league by 5 points with a game in hand. So just for once please have a day off from your own negativity and stupidity and get a grip.

Grendel

Let me understand this; you rate Gouldy and Phil Neal as better managers than Robins?

This is the same Robins we are talking about - the man who inherited a team in absolute free-fall and has engineered two promotions back to the Championship with limited funds whilst playing outside of Cov? And playing some of the best passing football I have seen in my time watching the club.

Clueless doesn't begin to even start to cover your lack of football knowledge.

The whining excuse is Robins has achieved promotions and now has a poor team and its not his fault. Robins has spent more on one player than Gould on the entire squad in a higher league.

Phil Neal achieved a top flight finish of 11th

Robins has never to be knowledge achieved that

Grendel

Last time I checked we had 3/4s of the season left.

You last called for a taxi for Robins in December; 3 months later we were top of the league by 5 points with a game in hand. So just for once please have a day off from your own negativity and stupidity and get a grip.

Still think Biamou is the best athlete at the club?

Snigger

Samo

Robins has earned a proper crack at this by any measure.
Why is it that footy fans always bang on about loyalty but as soon as things get a bit tough they can't find it in themselves?
MR for the full season no matter what for me.

NortonSkyBlue

The mistake Strachan made was to show to much loyalty to the pathetic Pendry, Vivash shows how important the coach is. But Strachan should have gone the previous season when I might be wrong we didn’t win a single away game.
We didn’t win an away game but by that logic Pendry was only a decent coach for our home games. Our home form was good and it was the same players for both.
Vivash is a part of a team, no more no less and by your logic should be replaced as we are struggling.
Give the team and management a bit of earned latitude, they have earned it.

Brighton Sky Blue

The whining excuse is Robins has achieved promotions and now has a poor team and its not his fault. Robins has spent more on one player than Gould on the entire squad in a higher league.

Phil Neal achieved a top flight finish of 11th

Robins has never to be knowledge achieved that

Your answer is Kenny Jackett. He’d have set us out 4-5-1 last night, which you were salivating over, we’d be lumping it up to Walker when that system requires a Juke type player to be even remotely effective. We’d score perhaps once every other game and go down on <40 points.

What your posts have highlighted particularly this season is your footballing judgment is miles off and I say that having previously agreed with it in seasons gone by

Users who are viewing this thread