Paul Cook (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

The only issue is that you just struggle to find anyone who's done a good job (in my time)...
Current incumbent, Mickey Adams, Strachan in parts, Neale, Gould (second time around especially), Sillett all in my memory. Fair few of the others were kind of nobbled by circumstance and hey, even Don Mackay saved us when we looked down and out.

Anybody who considers Don Howe worthy of anything other than total scorn is a psychotic loon, however.

Brighton Sky Blue

Current incumbent, Mickey Adams, Strachan in parts, Neale, Gould (second time around especially), Sillett all in my memory. Fair few of the others were kind of nobbled by circumstance and hey, even Don Mackay saved us when we looked down and out.

Anybody who considers Don Howe worthy of anything other than total scorn is a psychotic loon, however.

Adams now overseeing a football academy near Lesta

Mucca Mad Boys

I liked Mickey Adams from memory and the season with Wise brings back fond memories as a JSB. Also, Dowie for a period and Man U away is still one of my all time favourite moments as a supporter.

As for Strachan, I was at an age where I supported Cov, but didn’t know what was going on.

All in all, at least in my time as a supporter, Robins is indisputably the best manager we’ve had. It’s not even a bold statement because there isn’t any choice.

The biggest ‘what if’ was letting Eric Black go.

Again, recent history aside, it’s been a generally torrid period to support the club.

NorthernWisdom

I liked Mickey Adams from memory and the season with Wise brings back fond memories as a JSB. Also, Dowie for a period and Man U away is still one of my all time favourite moments as a supporter.

As for Strachan, I was at an age where I supported Cov, but didn’t know what was going on.

All in all, at least in my time as a supporter, Robins is indisputably the best manager we’ve had. It’s not even a bold statement because there isn’t any choice.

The biggest ‘what if’ was letting Eric Black go.

Again, recent history aside, it’s been a generally torrid period to support the club.
Forgot Black!

Bring him back

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

...selling Thompson would have been similar to selling Godden last season

Garry Thompson played 23 games and made 2 more appearances as substitute - 25 appearances and he scored 5 goals

Steve Whitton played 41 games and made 3 more appearances as substitute - 44 appearances and he scored 13 goals

Mark Hateley played 38 games - 38 appearances and he scored 11 goals

Jim Melrose played 25 games and made 4 more appearances as substitute - 29 appearances and he scored 10 goals

Steve Whitton's scoring record is even more impressive when you remember Sexton would often play him wide on the right of midfield.

Garry Thompson wasn't our top scorer in 82-83, or anywhere near. Selling Thompson wasn't "...similar to selling Godden last season" at all, it was moving on a player that was slipping down the pecking order before his value fell away too drastically.

Then to claim players like singleton stayed after the debacle is like saying pask stayed. He could t have started more than 20 games. Suckling was under contract - I thought hunt didn’t hang around either for very long

Martin Singleton started more than 20 games for the club and earned a living as a professional footballer for 10 years. He played in the top flight of English football, why is that somehow not good enough for you? I could also have mentioned Peter Hormantschuk as a player who stayed, are you going to try to belittle him too?

By the time we got to October the main team was totally different to the prior season - 8 players I’d say were new that season on average until Gould decided to sack the goalkeeper in the media

All of the players turning out in October had been signed before the start of the season, yet on the opening day Gould fielded a sided that included 7 players that had been with the club the previous season. By October Gould was favouring the players he had signed - football manager chooses players he bought... shocker!

In any case, you initially claimed that Sexton "...kept the club away from relegation against impossible odds" and that's a load of bollocks, isn't it.

Last edited:

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Hmm, not sure in any sense of the word, you could class Singleton as a key player to keep hold of that season.

Or Suckling for that matter. He must have been in nappies!
I didn't, I included him in a list of players that stayed on at the club after Grendel claimed all the players left. Grendel just picked on Martin Singleton, like he singles out and derides other individuals.

Magwitch

I didn't, I included him in a list of players that stayed on at the club after Grendel claimed all the players left. Grendel just picked on Martin Singleton, like he singles out and derides other individuals.
A perfect summing up of a very irrational manager. Go and find out what Vinny Jones thinks of him after his stint of the Wales job or Robbie Savage or Ryan Giggs.

Grendel

Hmm, not sure in any sense of the word, you could class Singleton as a key player to keep hold of that season.

Or Suckling for that matter. He must have been in nappies!

Singelton was a fringe player. Hendrie hardly played for the club either really and neither did Hormantchuck - he only played under Gould as we had no one else until we signed Pearce (despite the claim there is no way he was signed before that season started). We were his only professional club. Suckling as you say was a youth player.

In those years normally player change was nowhere near the level we are now

I reckon he signed:

Avramovic
Pearce
Adams
Allarydyce
Peake
Platneur
Bennett
Grimes
Gynn
Bamber
Withey
Ferguson (loan)

Last edited:

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Singelton was a fringe player. Hendrie hardly played for the club either really and neither did Hormantchuck - he only played under Gould as we had no one else until we signed Pearce (despite the claim there is no way he was signed before that season started). We were his only professional club. Suckling as you say was a youth player.

You really must stop trying to twist what people say.

1. I named Singleton in a list of professional players who stayed at the club after you claimed ALL the players had left. You were wrong - get over yourself.

2. Hormantchuck didn't play under any other Coventry manager because his career was ended by injury, Thought you'd have known that, bearing in mind you think you are the font of all knowledge.

3, I said "All of the players turning out in October had been signed before the start of the season". Stuart Pearce didn't turn out in October - he made his debut in November. So guess what, you're wrong again.

I didn't say Gould didn't sign a lot of players and in any case your list is incomplete (no surprise there).

Anyway, back to what you claimed when you were making other stuff up. You claimed that Sexton "...kept the club away from relegation against impossible odds". The truth is he had a squad packed with players who were current or past junior internationals and a full international (who he didn't seem to like and so played just a couple of times). Despite having a wealth of playing talent available to him, Sexton barely scraped survival. Sexton didn't perform any miracles, he mismanaged the situation and came very close to getting the club relegated.

Grendel

1. I didn’t claim every single player left

2. he was replaced by Pearce and despite an injury he did still play for Nuneaton - it’s like claiming Jordan Thompson didn’t leave. Next you’ll be saying Andy Spring didn’t leave

3 we sold our entire first team defence other than Robert’s, our entire attack and a large chunk of midfield. All the players he signed in replacement were first team regulars very quickly - actually by September so your pedantry does you no favours

I still disagree on sexton but that is subjective and at least not the factual errors and deliberate misrepresentation so I guess that’s something

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

1. I didn’t claim every single player left

2. he was replaced by Pearce and despite an injury he did still play for Nuneaton - it’s like claiming Jordan Thompson didn’t leave. Next you’ll be saying Andy Spring didn’t leave

3 we sold our entire first team defence other than Robert’s, our entire attack and a large chunk of midfield. All the players he signed in replacement were first team regulars very quickly - actually by September so your pedantry does you no favours

I still disagree on sexton but that is subjective and at least not the factual errors and deliberate misrepresentation so I guess that’s something

1. My mistake, you claimed "... players all declaring they would leave at the end of the season" But that's a lie, isn't it?

2. Hormantschuk - according to CCFPA "Peter received a serious knee injury in the reserves which effectively ended his first class career though he had a few non league outings locally"

3. You say "All the players he signed in replacement were first team regulars very quickly". You are back to talking bollocks - not all of the players Gould signed even made first team debuts.

Subjective opinions? What an arse you are, you are wrong and simply too arrogant to admit it.

You want to see pedantic? Go look in the mirror.

Skybluefaz

1. My mistake, you claimed "... players all declaring they would leave at the end of the season" But that's a lie, isn't it?

2. Hormantschuk - according to CCFPA "Peter received a serious knee injury in the reserves which effectively ended his first class career though he had a few non league outings locally"

3. You say "All the players he signed in replacement were first team regulars very quickly". You are back to talking bollocks - not all of the players Gould signed even made first team debuts.

Subjective opinions? What an arse you are, you are wrong and simply too arrogant to admit it.

You want to see pedantic? Go look in the mirror.
Welcome to Skybluestalk.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread