Oh Jeremy Corbyn (4 Viewers)

clint van damme

BBC claim referendum: Jeremy Corbyn sacks Labour frontbencher

I disagree with the latter point too. A good general election result, and barring a calamity, the local election results should see massive gains for Labour too. In fact if they don't given the circumstances... Corbyn probably *should* go!

I think Smith has engineered this sacking, there's something going on. To be fair to him if he has tried to engineer it he's succeeded. When Boris tried the same thing he ended up as foreign secretary, the worse one I can remember!

clint van damme

BBC claim referendum: Jeremy Corbyn sacks Labour frontbencher

I disagree with the latter point too. A good general election result, and barring a calamity, the local election results should see massive gains for Labour too. In fact if they don't given the circumstances... Corbyn probably *should* go!

this from the offending article:

"“Given that it is increasingly obvious that the promises which the Brexiters made to the voters, especially but not only their pledge of an additional £350m a week for the NHS, are never going to be honoured, we have the right to ask if Brexit remains the right choice for the country. And to ask, too, that the country has a vote on whether to accept the terms and true costs of that choice once they are clear,” he wrote."

Reading that he asks for a 2nd referendum and a vote on the deal!

Grendel

this from the offending article:

"“Given that it is increasingly obvious that the promises which the Brexiters made to the voters, especially but not only their pledge of an additional £350m a week for the NHS, are never going to be honoured, we have the right to ask if Brexit remains the right choice for the country. And to ask, too, that the country has a vote on whether to accept the terms and true costs of that choice once they are clear,” he wrote."

Reading that he asks for a 2nd referendum and a vote on the deal!

Then he should fuck off and join that tosser Vince Cable.

martcov

Then he should fuck off and join that tosser Vince Cable.

For questioning a decision which could result in a loss of jobs, and Britain becoming less significant in the world? Are politicians supposed to watch as problems emerge, especially such big ones as the Irish Question, and not say anything? A bit like staying loyal until the final victory. Anyone who doubts the victory, Brexit, gets removed.

SkyblueBazza

I repeat the view that if we get the deal we were promised, there'll be no issue with a second referendum anyway, and I'd happily vote for the milk and honey deal we've been promised when it materialises!

I don't understand the fear of calling for a second referendum. I also don't understand why he's been sacked for calling for one, seems an amazingly stupid move.
When was the last time actually GOT the deal we wanted from the EU...really?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Grendel

For questioning a decision which could result in a loss of jobs, and Britain becoming less significant in the world? Are politicians supposed to watch as problems emerge, especially such big ones as the Irish Question, and not say anything? A bit like staying loyal until the final victory. Anyone who doubts the victory, Brexit, gets removed.

So cable for PM it is then.

fernandopartridge

Corbyn was absolutely right to sack Owen Smith. It was clearly an attempt to undermine him and split the party. The centrist Blairite New Labour types are all over it:

Chukka Umunna
Alistair Campbell
Tony Blair

Do these disingenuous clowns not realise that Labour voters and the country has rejected their type of politics?

Kingokings204

Corbyn was absolutely right to sack Owen Smith. It was clearly an attempt to undermine him and split the party. The centrist Blairite New Labour types are all over it:

Chukka Umunna
Alistair Campbell
Tony Blair

Do these disingenuous clowns not realise that Labour voters and the country has rejected their type of politics?

Spot on but Labour is run by the blairites still. Add Hilary Benn in to that list.

They don’t want to leave the Eu and then have to act now but it’s all in vain. Sad to see really.

I’m no corbyn fan but he was right to sack Owen smith. Maybe he can join the lib dems? They want a second referendum.

oakey

Unfortunately for Labour the country has rejected the centre left, so called Blairite position, but it has moved to the right in the process and we now have a PM with broadly sympathetic positions to the centrists running the country.
I know a lot of Labour people and none of them are Blairites, that is a label used to shut down debate and any criticism of Corbyn and his supporters. The majority of the centrists have no time for Blair and want to move forward not look back.

clint van damme

Unfortunately for Labour the country has rejected the centre left, so called Blairite position, but it has moved to the right in the process and we now have a PM with broadly sympathetic positions to the centrists running the country.
I know a lot of Labour people and none of them are Blairites, that is a label used to shut down debate and any criticism of Corbyn and his supporters. The majority of the centrists have no time for Blair and want to move forward not look back.

in that case with what? Or with who?

oakey

We have to wait to see what emerges. Many possibilities.
One scenario is that Labour will continue in factional fighting until the left disintegrates into cliques and turn on each other, then the sensible people will kick the troublemakers out and unite around a new leader. Then Labour can win.
Second scenario is the Left will avoid the above and try to kick out the sensible people. This is very unappealing to much of the electorate who suddenly realise that their local MP who helped keep the local pool open and helped a friend sort out his disability claim etc has been deselected. This could lead to a Labour win only if Brexit goes horribly wrong. They will then get booted out after one term because none of Corbyn's team could run a whelk stall.
A third scenario is that some of those opposed to JC will form a new party, splitting their supporters and giving us another decade of Tory rule.

clint van damme

We have to wait to see what emerges. Many possibilities.
One scenario is that Labour will continue in factional fighting until the left disintegrates into cliques and turn on each other, then the sensible people will kick the troublemakers out and unite around a new leader. Then Labour can win.
Second scenario is the Left will avoid the above and try to kick out the sensible people. This is very unappealing to much of the electorate who suddenly realise that their local MP who helped keep the local pool open and helped a friend sort out his disability claim etc has been deselected. This could lead to a Labour win only if Brexit goes horribly wrong. They will then get booted out after one term because none of Corbyn's team could run a whelk stall.
A third scenario is that some of those opposed to JC will form a new party, splitting their supporters and giving us another decade of Tory rule.

i don't believe either faction is strong enough to expel the other without splitting the party.
What I would say is that Owen Smith had a second referendum as a policy in his leadership campaign and despite that got tranced, you have to ask why he went to a national newspaper just as Labour launch their local election campaign?
The man is a snake as far as I'm concerned.

clint van damme

Umunna – Majority of British public want to stay in Single Market and Customs Union

Indeed, but on this issue it is JC and shadow cabinet line that is out of step with Labour members and voters.

I like Umunna, but I can't support a second referendum as much as I think voting leave was a massive mistake. It would fracture the country and make a mockery of our democracy.
I could get behind his call to remain in the CU because as far as I'm concerned, and despite what people say, the terms of our departure were never made clear pre-referendum.

chiefdave

Maybe he can join the lib dems?
Between the splits over Brexit and the splits over Corbyn I had hoped we'd end up with 3 roughly equally sized parties. Tories on the right, Labour on the left and Libs in the centre. Give voters some real choice. Think that opportunity has been missed now.

martcov

So cable for PM it is then.

Unfortunately, the then 48% and now 51% ( according to polls ), don’t have a party which sees the problems of Brexit looming and has the balls to seek a way out. Their voice is split between 3 parties, all with other agendas as their priority or uniting force.

Cable is not the person who has the charisma or youthful energy to unite the pro Remain MPs into a political force. A young Tony Blair type of person could have done it.

I don’t see a young politician, with character and vision, yet in the position to call Brexit out and lead a political revolt against this great act of self harm, built on lies and deceit.

All I see at the head of Brexit, is buffoonery in the form of Johnson, sneaky disloyalty in the form of Gove, the quiet conman Rees Mogg and pure stupidity in the form of Davis, with the unofficial propaganda minister Farage operating outside of parliament. I just hope someone comes out of nowhere and sends these clowns into oblivion.

oakey

I like Umunna, but I can't support a second referendum as much as I think voting leave was a massive mistake. It would fracture the country and make a mockery of our democracy.
I could get behind his call to remain in the CU because as far as I'm concerned, and despite what people say, the terms of our departure were never made clear pre-referendum.
The link was not about Amunna, despite the misleading headline. He had commented on the poll.
It was evidence to support the point that the majority of Labour supporters want to stay in the SM and customs union.
The country is already fractured.

clint van damme

The link was not about Amunna, despite the misleading headline. He had commented on the poll.
It was evidence to support the point that the majority of Labour supporters want to stay in the SM and customs union.
The country is already fractured.

it is fractured, but I think a second referendum would push it over the edge. I disagree with Brexiteers on many things but on that they would have a point.

The only way I'd support a second referendum is if there was proof of fraud in the first one, nor suggesting there is, just that's the only reason I could justify another.
As i said, I would support staying in the customs union.

Grendel

Unfortunately, the then 48% and now 51% ( according to polls ), don’t have a party which sees the problems of Brexit looming and has the balls to seek a way out. Their voice is split between 3 parties, all with other agendas as their priority or uniting force.

Cable is not the person who has the charisma or youthful energy to unite the pro Remain MPs into a political force. A young Tony Blair type of person could have done it.

I don’t see a young politician, with character and vision, yet in the position to call Brexit out and lead a political revolt against this great act of self harm, built on lies and deceit.

All I see at the head of Brexit, is buffoonery in the form of Johnson, sneaky disloyalty in the form of Gove, the quiet conman Rees Mogg and pure stupidity in the form of Davis, with the unofficial propaganda minister Farage operating outside of parliament. I just hope someone comes out of nowhere and sends these clowns into oblivion.
I know - you can tell the honest way the Eu conducts itself by the great politicians who toady to then - characters with real integrity - Blair and Clegg.

Grendel

martcov

Both worship it - as it is fits nicely with their greedy selfish dishonest agenda.

Really? Explain the greedy selfish dishonest agenda of the EU... and how it is manifested e.g. by the wealthiest countries improving the infrastructure of poorer countries, or by labour regulations and environmental regulations... Then compare it with the policies of the present government or Rees Mogg’s selfless hedge fund.. Or would you prefer Corbyn’s genuinely less greedy and selfish agenda?

wingy

I think it's time to amend the dictoinary.
New term 'Preferendum'.

Ian1779

I think Smith has engineered this sacking, there's something going on. To be fair to him if he has tried to engineer it he's succeeded. When Boris tried the same thing he ended up as foreign secretary, the worse one I can remember!

I reckon he fancies getting a few more quid from the back of some NHS privatisation.

Ian1779

It's moved to the right because of the Tory austerity, which was then badged up as 'immigrants coming over here taking our jobs/benefits/money' by that scumbag Farage and the others during the referendum.

martcov

It's moved to the right because of the Tory austerity, which was then badged up as 'immigrants coming over here taking our jobs/benefits/money' by that scumbag Farage and the others during the referendum.

I am not a Corbyn fan, but we need an alternative to the present government, and we need to swing the pendelum back towards the centre from the outside right position it is now in. I don't think nationalisation is the answer long term, but a rethink on privatisation is needed. Maybe taking back control ..... in the real sense of taking back control.....of things such as parts of the NHS is needed short term. We need companies to be making good profits, but not at any price. The whole society is split because of Brexit, right through the parties. The Farage and co bullshit has caused this split and the government is totally distracted by Brexit. Now labour is starting to split itself even more, which is bad timing just before the municipal elections. If ever we needed labour, it is now. There is a massive attack on Corbyn the person by the right wing msm, which is more than unfortunate and shows their power. They slagged the EU for years and now the venom is directed at Corbyn. If I were allowed to vote, I would vote labour to offer a counterbalance to the Rees Moggs and BoJos in the Tory party. Also, if the right wing press is mercylessly attacking Corbyn, then he must be better than what we have.

Sick Boy

jimmyhillsfanclub

Interesting!

Yep.....interesting.....but we all know both sides of the campaign were full of lies, damn lies and statistics......

.....and don't forget Cameron's government of the day spent taxpayers cash on the remain campaign that iirc, the cost of which didn't even count in the campaign budget........

........god, sometimes I manage to bore myself on this subject.....

....anyway.....back on topic. Corbyn was right to sack him.

Captain Dart

Yep.....interesting.....but we all know both sides of the campaign were full of lies, damn lies and statistics......

.....and don't forget Cameron's government of the day spent taxpayers cash on the remain campaign that iirc, the cost of which didn't even count in the campaign budget........

Smith is a tosspot anyway. He has a career in bad decisions all lined up and will end up as Lord Pontypridd.

BackRoomRummermill

Good old JC now openly apologising to the Jewish community on behalf of the ‘small amount of anti Jewish ‘ members in his party .

The real reason is what he tweeted reference some street art which offended the Jewish community and never apologised and they are not letting this one go.

Another nail in his coffin , he has had a great week in my opinion, the cracks are well and truly there , a party split.

Last edited:

martcov

So that makes the leave campaign in this case legal? We shouldn’t investigate?

Macca

Good old JC now openly apologising to the Jewish community on behalf of the ‘small amount of anti Jewish ‘ members in his party .

The real reason is what he tweeted reference some street art which offended the Jewish community and never apologised and they are not letting this one go.

Another nail in his coffin , he has had a great week in my opinion, the cracks are well and truly there , a party split.

Yes a left wing extremist is as dangerous as a right wing one

Users who are viewing this thread