Fuel prices (4 Viewers)

shmmeee

So where's the money going to come from to buy an electric car then, if none are available for £500?

Why won’t any be available for £500?

Used electric is only expensive now because there’s limited supply on the market and they’re a new product. A 2015 Zoe is about £6-7k and that would cost more than a Fiesta of similar spec to buy new. Once prices are cheaper and the market has been flooded why would they be any more expensive?

Add in the fact you’ll be paying double for your fuel plus extra on tax and likely by that point insurance, plus any road charges for ULEZs. It would still be a stupid financial decision even if your £500 car was now £800 or even £1k.

NorthernWisdom

Well with batteries needing to be replaced, you'd already be taking something of a chance to buy an electric car with a battery coming up to five years' old, unless you had the money to replace that... and you're looking at up to about £3.5k for that. Find me a second hand car for £500 that's four years old.

You're confusing up front outlay with running costs. It's always been cheaper to *run* a brand new car with warranty than a 35yo Lancia Y10. There's a reason why most don't do that, however!

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator

Used electric is only expensive now because there’s limited supply on the market and they’re a new product. A 2015 Zoe is about £6-7k and that would cost more than a Fiesta of similar spec to buy new. Once prices are cheaper and the market has been flooded why would they be any more expensive?

Add in the fact you’ll be paying double for your fuel plus extra on tax and likely by that point insurance, plus any road charges for ULEZs. It would still be a stupid financial decision even if your £500 car was now £800 or even £1k.

The thing with a 2015 Zoe for £6k is that the battery is leased as well so you have another monthly outgoing on it.

If you want it without a lease, probably double the price.

Grendel

Hydrogen is an awful idea for a mobile fuel IMO.

I don’t see why the poorer would need help to buy something cheaper TBH.

Everyone seems stuck five years ago when there was a massive price premium. That’ll completely disappear and reverse over the next 5 years. Battery lifecycle is already improving with 1M mile prototypes already in existence, prices have dropped for batteries by 90% in a decade and will continue to.

I’ll say it again: if you’re buying an ICE car even second hand in 2040 you need your head looking at. I know people buying up petrol forecourts in anticipation of the market collapsing and prime real estate coming in.

This is all very 1960s “the world only needs five computers” level of thinking.

What’s the equivalent of a Zoe in petrol - a Clio?

shmmeee

The thing with a 2015 Zoe for £6k is that the battery is leased as well so you have another monthly outgoing on it.

Again though that’s a function of current early adopter tech. As I said in the last decade battery prices have come down 90%, so a 7 year old car is going to have an expensive battery. Once we get to mass production and a proper competitive market, plus the huge amount of R&D that’s been flooded into it battery prices will get lower and lower, that’s the main reason electric cars are predicted to be cheaper than petrol to produce by 2027.

So at worst @NorthernWisdom is going to have to drive around in a banger for another couple of years post 2040, but he’ll be no means be in the majority or even be better off once the other costs are considered. The average age of a car on the road is just under 9 years, the average age until scrappage is just under 14. To think that won’t go down with a bug push for people to change is ridiculous.

As I say it reminds me of skeptics before every technological change ever. People are always caught unaware by exponential growth.

NorthernWisdom

Someone also needs to pay for houses to have charge points on them (and in some instances this won't just be installing the charger, but re-wiring the bloody house so it can cope) - and facilities for people who only have street parking. Someone has to pay for that, or change won't happen quickly, as it's a bunch of up front costs.

Nick

Administrator
Again though that’s a function of current early adopter tech. As I said in the last decade battery prices have come down 90%, so a 7 year old car is going to have an expensive battery. Once we get to mass production and a proper competitive market, plus the huge amount of R&D that’s been flooded into it battery prices will get lower and lower, that’s the main reason electric cars are predicted to be cheaper than petrol to produce by 2027.

So at worst @NorthernWisdom is going to have to drive around in a banger for another couple of years post 2040, but he’ll be no means be in the majority or even be better off once the other costs are considered. The average age of a car on the road is just under 9 years, the average age until scrappage is just under 14. To think that won’t go down with a bug push for people to change is ridiculous.

As I say it reminds me of skeptics before every technological change ever. People are always caught unaware by exponential growth.

Yes cheaper to produce.... Doesn't always mean cheaper to buy.

Such a waste to scrap a perfectly fine 14 year old car though, isn't it?

Grendel

You can pick up a newer, decent Clio for the same price with no limits on mileage.

Which is my point a Zoe starts at £30 grand 😂

Grendel

There are 6 million cars over 13 years and and five times more old cars that there were 20 years prior - the aged parc is growing

Grendel

Oh I was comparing to a used one at 6.5k.

New Clio is £18 spec may differ but the RV doesn’t seem better yet - I guess that will improve but its a long way to go

shmmeee

Someone also needs to pay for houses to have charge points on them (and in some instances this won't just be installing the charger, but re-wiring the bloody house so it can cope) - and facilities for people who only have street parking. Someone has to pay for that, or change won't happen quickly, as it's a bunch of up front costs.

Well for a start all new buildings or other scale renovations as of now are required to have charging in place. There’s no funding now for adding one yourself but the focus is on street and public charging. But again we’re talking 18 years time when the scale and used market for these things will have expanded significantly. And you are talking real edge cases here, in a place where they can afford a car, but not enough for an electric car and live somewhere where a point either hasn’t or can’t be installed and there’s no local charging infrastructure and none at work, but they’re still willing to pay through the nose for fuel and tax.

We are talking about whether the majority of cars on the road will be electric, not whether one guy in a flat in rural Wales will have difficulty charging his.

This is happening. That alone provides a huge economic incentive to solve all these problems.

NorthernWisdom

And you are talking real edge cases here, in a place where they can afford a car, but not enough for an electric car and live somewhere where a point either hasn’t or can’t be installed and there’s no local charging infrastructure and none at work, but they’re still willing to pay through the nose for fuel and tax.
You're really not. This is the standard for most road users, spend more than they'd like to, because they can't afford the costs to be able to spend less.

Again, we're talking about changing things quickly, and that needs assistance otherwise it just won't happen, the barriers will prevent it.

Not only that... but we're in thrall to the car makers because they offer employment. In terms of scrappage, what kind of system are we setting up, encouraging people to scrap cars more quickly? Fine if you're changing for a purpose, but surely any new technology aiming at being encironmentally friendly should be encouraging people to keep their cars for longer, and so reduce the energy cost of producing another one?

But Stellantis would not be overly happy with that...!

shmmeee

You're really not. This is the standard for most road users, spend more than they'd like to, because they can't afford the costs to be able to spend less.

Again, we're talking about changing things quickly, and that needs assistance otherwise it just won't happen, the barriers will prevent it.

Not only that... but we're in thrall to the car makers because they offer employment. In terms of scrappage, what kind of system are we setting up, encouraging people to scrap cars more quickly? Fine if you're changing for a purpose, but surely any new technology aiming at being encironmentally friendly should be encouraging people to keep their cars for longer, and so reduce the energy cost of producing another one?

But Stellantis would not be overly happy with that...!

I think you’re massively overestimating the number of people that drive bangers. I’ve already given you the stats on average age of scrappage. On that alone and no behaviour shifts then by 2044 most petrol cars have been scrapped. And there will be a behaviour shift.

Two thirds of homes have off road parking. I already know people who charge at work or on the weekly shop, it will become commonplace to have electric car charging points in car parks like we do disabled spaces. It will become commonplace for works car parks to offer it.

And again, because this doesn’t seem to be getting through: electric cars will soon be cheaper to buy than petrol cars. So by 2040 you are claiming a majority of people will be unable to access electric cars. Are you sure about this?

NorthernWisdom

I think you’re massively overestimating the number of people that drive bangers. I’ve already given you the stats on average age of scrappage. On that alone and no behaviour shifts then by 2044 most petrol cars have been scrapped. And there will be a behaviour shift.

Two thirds of homes have off road parking. I already know people who charge at work or on the weekly shop, it will become commonplace to have electric car charging points in car parks like we do disabled spaces. It will become commonplace for works car parks to offer it.

And again, because this doesn’t seem to be getting through: electric cars will soon be cheaper to buy than petrol cars. So by 2040 you are claiming a majority of people will be unable to access electric cars. Are you sure about this?
You're coming across as rather elitest in this, you're saying because the middle and upper classes can manage it, the working classes should be abandoned and given no assistance - tough on them.

Grendel

6 million drive cars over 13 years old a 500 percentage increase in that area of the parc in 20 years

skybluejelly

Yep ..and you try and part ex a battery lease Zoe and nobody wants to know at a sensible price , our one at work was down to 39 miles on a full charge which was a nightmare when you wanted to go look at a car more than 30 miles away..

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Everyone seems stuck five years ago when there was a massive price premium. That’ll completely disappear and reverse over the next 5 years. Battery lifecycle is already improving with 1M mile prototypes already in existence, prices have dropped for batteries by 90% in a decade and will continue to.

I’ll say it again: if you’re buying an ICE car even second hand in 2040 you need your head looking at. I know people buying up petrol forecourts in anticipation of the market collapsing and prime real estate coming in.

Interesting that forecourts are being bought up, are they considered prime real estate as most former forecourts don't seem that way?

Nick

Administrator

I don't even know anybody with an electric car.

I know plenty without off road parking too. Who's buying them a house with a drive?

Grendel

Interesting that forecourts are being bought up, are they considered prime real estate as most former forecourts don't seem that way?

He is the man with the five computers way of thinking when it comes to how the automotive industry giants work and control the market

shmmeee

This guy seems to think so. Or at least seems to think there’s an opportunity there. Point is that’s what happens when you put targets like 2030 in, it focuses minds on opportunities there.

Green techs biggest issue has always been the price premium only offset by the warm fuzzies from helping the climate. Next 5-10 years that’s going to shift massively where clean tech is both better performing in many ways and cheaper. Once that happens capitalism takes over and change happens fast.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If anyone has an older petrol engine car, say 10 years old , regularly serviced and average miles , why on earth would anyone in their right mind scrap it, given the cost to the environment in having it dismantled and the cost to the environment the production of a new electric car . No thanks. I'm not buying into it.

shmmeee

If anyone has an older petrol engine car, say 10 years old , regularly serviced and average miles , why on earth would anyone in their right mind scrap it, given the cost to the environment in having it dismantled and the cost to the environment the production of a new electric car . No thanks. I'm not buying into it.

Because we’re already selling EVs as fast as we can make them, no one is spinning up a production line because you’d decided the Maestro has to go a year early.

Grendel

Grendel

Because we’re already selling EVs as fast as we can make them, no one is spinning up a production line because you’d decided the Maestro has to go a year early.

There’s a 6 month waiting list for diesel jaguars at the moment (they couldn’t give them away 24 months ago). It’s not demand related it’s supply due post Covid issues in China

Greggs

Where do you charge them if you live in a terraced house? Or are they just for people who can afford a detached mansion with charging ports in the double garage??

shmmeee

They signed a pledge purely as they think they can do the PHEV con - also they don’t sell any cars to customers

PHEV sales have dropped off a cliff, consumers aren’t buying the con. What are you even trying to say at this point? That the worlds car manufacturers will just refuse to follow existing legislation in major markets and they’ll be allowed to because they are so powerful?

Grendel

Where do you charge them if you live in a terraced house? Or are they just for people who can afford a detached mansion with charging ports in the double garage??

What if a family of 4 live in a house abs they all have a car?

Users who are viewing this thread