Fuel prices (1 Viewer)

OffenhamSkyBlue

Coundon got a whole fleet of charging points installed within the last 2 years or so. Most houses in Chapelfields and Earlsdon are lucky if they have any more then a couple of foot for a front garden, so the council will literally have to install a point outside every house. I just can't see it happening. People will be priced out from driving.
The cynic in me says that might be the intention!

OffenhamSkyBlue

Incidentally, prices in the area this morning:-

Tesco Cannon Park 186.9
Shell Warwick Rd, Kenilworth 179.9
Texaco Warwick Road, Kenilworth 179.9

Tesco and the other supermarkets are now taking the piss. The supermarkets are being reported to the Competition & Markets Authority i understand. While they were always cheapest, they are now among the most expensive!

wingy

Incidentally, prices in the area this morning:-

Tesco Cannon Park 186.9
Shell Warwick Rd, Kenilworth 179.9
Texaco Warwick Road, Kenilworth 179.9

Tesco and the other supermarkets are now taking the piss. The supermarkets are being reported to the Competition & Markets Authority i understand. While they were always cheapest, they are now among the most expensive!
Oh I suppose they'll argue it was always a loss leader for people buying food but now it's inflated to subsidize.

Jake22

Coundon got a whole fleet of charging points installed within the last 2 years or so. Most houses in Chapelfields and Earlsdon are lucky if they have any more then a couple of foot for a front garden, so the council will literally have to install a point outside every house. I just can't see it happening. People will be priced out from driving.

There have been some recently (i say recently, probably 12-18 months ago) installed on Oldfield/Billing Road.

3 at the top of Oldfield, 3 round the corner on Crosbie Road, and 3 on the corner of Oldfield/Billing road. Obviously not enough electric cars yet, as they're all often used as parking spaces.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Solar now easily the cheapest energy source. This is what I mean by the sort of tech progress we’re going to see. Once a tech is needed and mass market costs drop through the floor.

And this is sort of why I'm sceptical of new nuclear. By the time they come online they'll be overly expensive compared to alternatives.

Yes, there will be a lag in getting major renewable projects done as well, but if we've spent the money on new nuclear then we'll have to wait for more funding to become available and we're just setting the switch back.

If there was a concerted effort to help pay for homes to be given solar panels you'd have an unbelievable surface area of solar panels, and reduced reliance on the grid.

clint van damme

Solar now easily the cheapest energy source. This is what I mean by the sort of tech progress we’re going to see. Once a tech is needed and mass market costs drop through the floor.

The problem is you've got that fuck nugget Nick Fuentes on TV in one of the cradles of fossil fuel use telling right wing Christians that oil is infinite and was put on earth by god for us to burn and the rednecks are lapping it up.

This is the madness that anyone trying to bring about a more environmentally world is up against.

OffenhamSkyBlue

The problem is that some energy suppliers claim to be buying (up to) 100% of their energy from renewable generators (solar and wind, i assume). If solar has come down in price by 90%, how the fuck are our energy bills not doing likewise - at least a little bit?

Grendel

The problem is that some energy suppliers claim to be buying (up to) 100% of their energy from renewable generators (solar and wind, i assume). If solar has come down in price by 90%, how the fuck are our energy bills not doing likewise - at least a little bit?

I assume the panel costs - it can take years to recover the savings if you factor in installation I assume also gas and coal are obviously variable cost and are likely to go down in the future

CCFCSteve

I might be wrong however I’m sure I heard it’s something weird like the price of electricity is somehow (at least partially) tied to the price of wholesale gas….which has gone through the roof. WTF ?!!

Alan Dugdales Moustache

But it'll take 20 years+ for me to get my money back if I buy solar panels outright, and if I lease them I'm blighted when I come to sell my property. Not worth it.

shmmeee

47% efficiency solar cells (current is 15-20%) so less than half the space needed for the same power output.

Just research now, but good indicator that solar price will keep dropping

I was looking into this. Apparently it’s something to do with the prices on the open market being set by the most expensive fuel or something. I’ll be honest I don’t fully understand it:

shmmeee

But it'll take 20 years+ for me to get my money back if I buy solar panels outright, and if I lease them I'm blighted when I come to sell my property. Not worth it.

Its more like 14 years but yeah I was looking into that too. Big chunk of the residential cost is installation costs which aren’t going to come down much, and in fact may go up with inflation because of wages. I think we’ll need a bit more of a drop before they’re viable here. I’d still like to see subsidies try and bring that down to 10 years at most. Like you I had a look but without being sure I’ll be here another 15 years I can’t say if they’re worth it.

But this is more for general utility level production and obviously places where solar is more viable like Africa, India and China it’s already cheaper to build a solar plant than a coal one.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

On charging don't know how they work but Son needed a little bit of charge to get him home.Stopped at a services put the car on charge went in for a drink come out found the leads on another car when he come out.Needless to say a good discussion took place.

Nick

Administrator
On charging don't know how they work but Son needed a little bit of charge to get him home.Stopped at a services put the car on charge went in for a drink come out found the leads on another car when he come out.Needless to say a good discussion took place.

I thought they locked in?

Sky Blue Pete

My mates view

I think you and he would get on shmmee

Pete, I don't see this government reacting until it's too late. It's going to take people in the streets, akin to the Poll Tax riots, to kickstart any significant movement towards a solution.

Papering over cracks will not get it done this time.

Something has to give because we are moving towards an awful situation in our country. As always, the poor will feel it first and be hit hardest. Businesses being hit by energy prices and Brexit will fold. Then when the middle class wake up and realise how bad it is getting for them, it may start to get a little traction.

Re-nationalising energy. Reign in fossil fuel companies subsidies. Huge investment in renewables to allow all families to generate their own energy and buy affordable electric cars. Re-nationalise train services and an overhaul of public transport. Make it easy and affordable for people to get around the country without polluting the environment or spending a significant percentage of disposable income on fuel.

All this demands infrastructure planning that should have started a decade ago. Electric car charging stations everywhere. Investing in solar panel materials / construction, land- and offshore wind farm materials / logistics. R&D focus on battery alternatives / improvements to store and transport energy. None of it is easy or cheap, but the pathetic lip service paid to these requirements by world leaders only makes the hill harder to climb as the urgency increases.
There's a reason that you see scientists and religious leaders become activists, gluing themselves to roads, obstructing fuel businesses. Individuals making individual changes are insignificant in the face of corporate capitalism and their $bn's.

The only way systemic change has ever occurred in the world is by mass protests and disturbing the peace. Societal unrest raises awareness. I was reading that the tipping point for social change is 25%, and it shocks and abhors me that we haven't reached this percentage yet. Once a society attains this level of consciousness about something, the movement is supposed to pick up steam.

However, retaining public interest is something we are really bad at. Look at Covid being ignored now, look at the Ukraine war that is largely ignored, people have been trying to look away from the climate emergency for years.

A cost of living crisis will be harder to ignore because people will feel it every day, but it will be like buckling your seatbelt after a collision! The change required should have already started.

Grendel

My mates view

I think you and he would get on shmmee

Pete, I don't see this government reacting until it's too late. It's going to take people in the streets, akin to the Poll Tax riots, to kickstart any significant movement towards a solution.

Papering over cracks will not get it done this time.

Something has to give because we are moving towards an awful situation in our country. As always, the poor will feel it first and be hit hardest. Businesses being hit by energy prices and Brexit will fold. Then when the middle class wake up and realise how bad it is getting for them, it may start to get a little traction.

Re-nationalising energy. Reign in fossil fuel companies subsidies. Huge investment in renewables to allow all families to generate their own energy and buy affordable electric cars. Re-nationalise train services and an overhaul of public transport. Make it easy and affordable for people to get around the country without polluting the environment or spending a significant percentage of disposable income on fuel.

All this demands infrastructure planning that should have started a decade ago. Electric car charging stations everywhere. Investing in solar panel materials / construction, land- and offshore wind farm materials / logistics. R&D focus on battery alternatives / improvements to store and transport energy. None of it is easy or cheap, but the pathetic lip service paid to these requirements by world leaders only makes the hill harder to climb as the urgency increases.
There's a reason that you see scientists and religious leaders become activists, gluing themselves to roads, obstructing fuel businesses. Individuals making individual changes are insignificant in the face of corporate capitalism and their $bn's.

The only way systemic change has ever occurred in the world is by mass protests and disturbing the peace. Societal unrest raises awareness. I was reading that the tipping point for social change is 25%, and it shocks and abhors me that we haven't reached this percentage yet. Once a society attains this level of consciousness about something, the movement is supposed to pick up steam.

However, retaining public interest is something we are really bad at. Look at Covid being ignored now, look at the Ukraine war that is largely ignored, people have been trying to look away from the climate emergency for years.

A cost of living crisis will be harder to ignore because people will feel it every day, but it will be like buckling your seatbelt after a collision! The change required should have already started.

lol your mate is a moron and did he start a thread on here to complain he was in the high tax bracket and how to avoid it?

Oh and Starmer would think your mate is a wanker

fernandopartridge

If I was the government, despite my desire to remove the private sector from provision of public services, I would prioritise investment into things that reduce the demand for fossil fuels over buying out the shares of British Gas etc whilst in the meantime trying to properly regulate what they do. The energy price cap legislation seems so flimsy, hard to see what the conditions should be for an increase to the price cap from reading this:

Domestic Gas and Electricity (Tariff Cap) Act 2018 (legislation.gov.uk)

Kneeza

I'm going solar.
I'll qualify that: my garden shed is going solar. I'm just about to shell out a small country's gdp on uprating my moho's solar 12v system, and the old 150w panel, charge controller, and agm battery will end up powering the shed. Free electrickery. Sort of.
And on that subject, we were recently approached by the local council who were proposing obtaining quotes for multiple installations of solar on residents' homes, so we asked to be included (obvs on a no-obligation basis).
The quote came back the other day - 4k for a straight panel-only install, and an extra 4k for a battery storage setup.
I reckon I'd get my money back about 20 years after I've croaked - even at the current rates of increases.
And they insist it's a good deal.
Pah.

Nick

Administrator
I'm going solar.
I'll qualify that: my garden shed is going solar. I'm just about to shell out a small country's gdp on uprating my moho's solar 12v system, and the old 150w panel, charge controller, and agm battery will end up powering the shed. Free electrickery. Sort of.
And on that subject, we were recently approached by the local council who were proposing obtaining quotes for multiple installations of solar on residents' homes, so we asked to be included (obvs on a no-obligation basis).
The quote came back the other day - 4k for a straight panel-only install, and an extra 4k for a battery storage setup.
I reckon I'd get my money back about 20 years after I've croaked - even at the current rates of increases.
And they insist it's a good deal.
Pah.
I looked at doing that for my garage just to get lights etc in there but don't need them enough.

skybluejelly

At least heating oil is finally coming down ..down to 82p today have set a target of 75p before I fill the tank …going to be a lot cheaper than gas this year

shmmeee

Out at the girlfriends parents in the Netherlands and they’ve got a 6kw system already and are about to add another 3kw to it. Apparently they get paid the same amount for generated electricity as they’d spend on a unit of electricity. That’s going to taper down over the years but right now makes them a no brainer.

skybluejelly

Heat pumps - worth getting?

If you have a new build with good insulation ..maybe , but if you have an old house with a single brick course probably not , we were quoted between £15000 and £25000 for installation,so opted for a new Worcester Bosch oil boiler and and 16 new radiators for £6000 all in ..one of our neighbours has one and now spends a fortune on electricity as it rarely works like it should , the engineer is forever visiting and the last one has told them it’s basically not suited for their house , it’s also ridiculously noisy when the fan runs

NorthernWisdom

If you have a new build with good insulation ..maybe , but if you have an old house with a single brick course probably not , we were quoted between £15000 and £25000 for installation,so opted for a new Worcester Bosch oil boiler and and 16 new radiators for £6000 all in ..one of our neighbours has one and now spends a fortune on electricity as it rarely works like it should , the engineer is forever visiting and the last one has told them it’s basically not suited for their house , it’s also ridiculously noisy when the fan runs
Thanks, worth knowing. It's for somewhere we might buy that needs heating, and it's only about 150 years off being a new build...

ovduk78

What about biomass boilers? We have plenty of room to store the fuel and the boiler will fit in the garage where the current gas one is. Our current deal with EDF ends in Sept 24 and if it is still around the same price as they are quoting now it could be an option. Higher fuel prices mean the biomass fuel will be more expensive.

fernandopartridge

My father in law has got an air source one, it looks like an air conditioning vent but not sure if it's actually any good

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread