Forest (2 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Its my opinion, and I would stick by it. Can you name another player as naturally talented as him?

Bear in mind there is a very big difference between 'talented' and 'effective'.

O'Hare is our best player by a mile in my opinion, but I would say Bright has more natural talent.

I’d argue that O’Hare aside from his finishing is the more natural talent but yes that’s a matter of opinion. We have some here using a single League Cup game or a small number of League 1 performances as proof that Bright is the best talent at the club.

COV

I’d argue that O’Hare aside from his finishing is the more natural talent but yes that’s a matter of opinion. We have some here using a single League Cup game or a small number of League 1 performances as proof that Bright is the best talent at the club.

No, its more than that, you can't base it on one game.

You see it in all sports- the most talented are rarely the most successful and often come with 'outside the game' issues. The most successful players aren't by any means always the most talented, they're the ones who work hard, improve themselves and have the right attitude. Not saying that Bright is the next Gazza or Alex Higgins, far from it- but I agree O'Hare 100% is our best player and I think Bright has more talent. Talent means nothing without proper application though, thats where his problem lies.

Londonccfcfan

Huh he already has more championship appearances than most of our squad. In a wolves team on upward trajectory in championship.

wingy

Think I'd keep an open mind,but err on the side of don't write the guy off.
Personally I think he has"it".

Brighton Sky Blue

No, its more than that, you can't base it on one game.

You see it in all sports- the most talented are rarely the most successful and often come with 'outside the game' issues. The most successful players aren't by any means always the most talented, they're the ones who work hard, improve themselves and have the right attitude. Not saying that Bright is the next Gazza or Alex Higgins, far from it- but I agree O'Hare 100% is our best player and I think Bright has more talent. Talent means nothing without proper application though, thats where his problem lies.

Talent is extremely subjective though and we’re basing the judgment on a very small pool of games in Bright’s case. O’Hare has shown his flair over enough games and dare I say Hamer showed a lot of natural talent before the season began to catch up with him.

COV

Talent is extremely subjective though and we’re basing the judgment on a very small pool of games in Bright’s case. O’Hare has shown his flair over enough games and dare I say Hamer showed a lot of natural talent before the season began to catch up with him.

Hamer also has more talent than O'Hare, especially if you're calling it "flair".

Bright has the ability to beat men and then plant it in the corner, never seen O'Hare do that (or Hamer).

But for the next 10 matches Bright might well do bugger all, whereas O'Hare will always deliver.

O'Hare can be an 8/10 every week, Bright could be a 10/10 one week and a 0/10 for the next month

Flair is not the same as being a 'good player', thats why I would never call Bright our best player. But if you're sticking to 'flair' then Bright has the most flair of anyone we have.

Grendel

Its my opinion, and I would stick by it. Can you name another player as naturally talented as him?

Bear in mind there is a very big difference between 'talented' and 'effective'.

O'Hare is our best player by a mile in my opinion, but I would say Bright has more natural talent.

To be talented so you have to prove it at this level?

D

Deleted member 4439

I know I will have missed this, but who are trialist A and B?

COV

To be talented so you have to prove it at this level?

I don't think anyone is any doubt he needs to prove it. Natural ability gets you nowhere if you don't have the application. I think Robins said it himself didn't he- "he is an incredible talent" or something like that.

Its up to him now, he'll either be a star or will end up in the Chinese league or something

Grendel

I don't think anyone is any doubt he needs to prove it. Natural ability gets you nowhere if you don't have the application. I think Robins said it himself didn't he- "he is an incredible talent" or something like that.

Its up to him now, he'll either be a star or will end up in the Chinese league or something

He hasn’t demonstrated any ability at this level it’s why every club have chucked him out

Sick Boy

After playing in 20 odd games in his 3rd season he was loaned out to Kilmarnock- strange considering he’s supposed to have the potential to be top 6 PL player.

COV

After playing in 20 odd games in his 3rd season he was loaned out to Kilmarnock- strange considering he’s supposed to have the potential to be top 6 PL player.

You can have all the potential & skill you want, but if you act an idiot and don't bother yourself then you're not going to get anywhere

Grendel

So you disagree with Alex Ferguson & others, I think we'll leave it there (y)

ah yes nothing to do with bigging him up to West Ham who then signed him on a deal that meant they were paid 25 grand every time he put on a West Ham shirt 😂

COV

ah yes nothing to do with bigging him up to West Ham who then signed him on a deal that meant they were paid 25 grand every time he put on a West Ham shirt 😂

Ferguson actually said that 2 years before he sold him if you'd care to check. Then Allardyce said "we all know about his talent, he doesn't need to impress me as a footballer, its his discipline" before giving up.

So as with Bright- very talented but thats not the same as being a good player, which is the whole point being made.

Brighton Sky Blue

Ferguson actually said that 2 years before he sold him if you'd care to check. Then Allardyce said "we all know about his talent, he doesn't need to impress me as a footballer, its his discipline" before giving up.

So as with Bright- very talented but thats not the same as being a good player, which is the whole point being made.

I think I get what you're trying to say but this just reads as a straight contradiction

Brighton Sky Blue

But its not

There are numerous examples of players in all sports with loads of raw ability that never quite make it because of their attitude.

Having lots of ability but not being a good player just sounds mutually exclusive to me but I think I get what you're trying to say.

COV

Having lots of ability but not being a good player just sounds mutually exclusive to me but I think I get what you're trying to say.

I know what you mean too but if that was the case then people like Roy Wegerle would have been megastars. I think I said it before but Strachan said that Eion Jess was the most talented player on the training field, but couldn't produce on the pitch.

Maybe use the word "effective"- someone like Kelly is effective but I don't think anyone would say that he's got as much ability as Bright, however Bright is seen as the risk, the potential waste even though he can do things Kelly could only dream of.

No idea if that makes sense but I guess I'm trying to say that ability does not automatically mean a successful career- you can be incredibly talented & fall by the wayside while players with much less ability go onto have great careers.

Anyway Bright is on for the second half apparently so lets see what he does...

Brighton Sky Blue

I know what you mean too but if that was the case then people like Roy Wegerle would have been megastars. I think I said it before but Strachan said that Eion Jess was the most talented player on the training field, but couldn't produce on the pitch.

Maybe use the word "effective"- someone like Kelly is effective but I don't think anyone would say that he's got as much ability as Bright, however Bright is seen as the risk, the potential waste even though he can do things Kelly could only dream of.

No idea if that makes sense but I guess I'm trying to say that ability does not automatically mean a successful career- you can be incredibly talented & fall by the wayside while players with much less ability go onto have great careers.

I suppose my point is that I don't know how people can distinguish one off performances from genuine talent shown over a longer period. Will agree to disagree on comparisons to O'Hare talent wise

NortonSkyBlue

I would go with what I saw with my own eyes. Bright is a game changer, who run at players and has an end product. An exciting talent.
O‘Hare is such an energetic full on, never give them a moment player, who if his goal record matched the rest of his game would be still at Villa.
Both have given us something we lacked with Jones out. Now we have all of them.

Brighton Sky Blue

I would go with what I saw with my own eyes. Bright is a game changer, who run at players and has an end product. An exciting talent.
O‘Hare is such an energetic full on, never give them a moment player, who if his goal record matched the rest of his game would be still at Villa.
Both have given us something we lacked with Jones out. Now we have all of them.

And yet he couldn't persuade Peterborough to give him a contract in League 1 when really he'd be exactly the sort of player they'd go for off your description. The proof though is in his performances and we'll see sure enough which Bright we've got.

NortonSkyBlue

And yet he couldn't persuade Peterborough to give him a contract in League 1 when really he'd be exactly the sort of player they'd go for off your description. The proof though is in his performances and we'll see sure enough which Bright we've got.
Please note I stated what I saw with my own eyes and he was superb for us. If he falls short of that then I will of course join you in questioning my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread