Match Thread Fleetwood Town vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Tuesday 27th Nov (1 Viewer)

Covstu

It's getting poor now. Keep making excuses for cup line ups or whatever but we are failing right now. Hiwula, JCH, Bakayoko, Chaplin......failing ! Sloppy goals, shit keeper as a rule, weak midfield. Things can change quickly of course but right now we are slipping badly.
How can the keeper be blamed?

Covstu

I’ve said this most of November, the focus is on Doyle yet what about about Bayliss?

In the last few weeks he’s only really put in a performance in for 45 second half mins against Peterborough.

The kids stacks of ability as we all know but he’s simply not performing and living off last years reputation and going under the radar.

If we’re gonna dissect performances then he needs to be under the same scrutiny as Doyle’s but the fact is many wear blinkers so look at the ageing Doyle who yes isn’t perfect and making mistakes.

But as midfield options are so limited Bayliss is getting the free ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree to a certain extent Steve but the idea of the ball winning midfielder is that it protects Bayliss and we aren’t doing that. Disappointed that Agogo hasn’t come into the team and I assumed he would have gradually replaced Doyle. The bigger worry is that if we lose Thomas and Jones isn’t fit still, who plays the right side (effectively!)

steve82

Agree to a certain extent Steve but the idea of the ball winning midfielder is that it protects Bayliss and we aren’t doing that. Disappointed that Agogo hasn’t come into the team and I assumed he would have gradually replaced Doyle. The bigger worry is that if we lose Thomas and Jones isn’t fit still, who plays the right side (effectively!)

Personally on current players available it’s try and make a central enforcing pair of Doyle, Kelly or Ogogo with Bayliss right mid and Thomas left mid.

January is a new topic all together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pusbccfc

People accepting lower mid-table is not good enough for me.

Robins has been the first city manager in what, 7/8 years to be backed with a healthy transfer kitty? He's threw money on signing a bag of shite strikers. He's brought in Ogogo and Brown who were gambles based on their performances before injuries.

All the teams we have played seem to have a forward who is a key player for them. Last night for example Fleetwood had Ched Evans, a player proven to score goals. We've spent money on unproven players with hope that they come good eventually. That would be fine if we had at least one proven forward to rely on.

stupot07

The other worry is who at all is going to play the left side effectively! Hiwula offers nothing, Shipley has struggled, and the option of Jones one side and Thomas the other isn't Looking likely with Jones injury.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

The other worry is who at all is going to play the left side effectively! Hiwula offers nothing, Shipley has struggled, and the option of Jones one side and Thomas the other isn't Looking likely with Jones injury.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
And another worry on top of that is of Jones being out long term and Thomas returning to Derby in January.

lifeskyblue

Very inconsistent team and performances. A string of good results followed by v poor performances. Burge has been our most consistent player this season and Thomas impressive. The rest blow hot and cold.
The biggest disappointment is that the majority are not showing signs of improvement (Baka, Chaplin, JCH, hiwula), sterling did then I hired. Ogogo not played. Brown ok but not better than had.

eastwoodsdustman

Second half last night was awful. We were second to the ball all over the pitch, looked tired and lacked spirit.
They only positive from last night was that Robins must see that changes are needed in the starting line up.
We play too deep with Hyam in defence, Bayliss isn’t a Centre midfielder (at least not next to Doyle), forwards are rarely in the box when we go forward.

Nick

Administrator
I want to see ponti given a chance in the new year I know his all round play isn’t great but fancy him to put more chances away than anyone else we’ve got.

Baka looks completely lost everytime he comes on.
Not half as lost as the strikers who were on for the whole game.

Pete in Portugal

Personally on current players available it’s try and make a central enforcing pair of Doyle, Kelly or Ogogo with Bayliss right mid and Thomas left mid.

January is a new topic all together

I agree that this formation would be better than having Hiwula on the left and Bayliss in the centre. Thomas and Bayliss could be given some freedom to swap round occasionally to confuse the full-backs.

The other problem that Robins needs to address is our pattern of having a good first half, (but not scoring), and then coming out looking leggy and off the pace and getting over-run in the second half. Opposition managers are beginning to recognise this weakness and exploit it. MR needs to develop a strategy to deal with this PDQ. Having said that, I'm not sure what to suggest. Any ideas?

jordan210

We haven’t been scoring lately. So why do we keep doing exactly the same.

Try some thing different. Baka and Jordy upfront for example and try someone else on left wing.

We can’t keep using the same front with them not scoring

SkyBlueCRJ

We haven’t been scoring lately. So why do we keep doing exactly the same.

Try some thing different. Baka and Jordy upfront for example and try someone else on left wing.

We can’t keep using the same front with them not scoring

Because unfortunately for all of his pro's, MR is as stubborn as a mule.

eastwoodsdustman

One reason we’re not scoring is because we are too deep as a team and not enough players are in the box to score when the ball is in there. Too often our strikers are 5-10 yards outside the box when the ball is played in.
I’d have Davies in and either (preferably) Willis or hyam alongside.
We need to perm two from ogogo, kelly and Doyle in the middle, three from Bayliss Shipley and Thomas out wide and then two from JCH, Baka, Hiwula, Chaplin and poss ponti up front.

fernandopartridge

One reason we’re not scoring is because we are too deep as a team and not enough players are in the box to score when the ball is in there. Too often our strikers are 5-10 yards outside the box when the ball is played in.
I’d have Davies in and either (preferably) Willis or hyam alongside.
We need to perm two from ogogo, kelly and Doyle in the middle, three from Bayliss Shipley and Thomas out wide and then two from JCH, Baka, Hiwula, Chaplin and poss ponti up front.

We need Doyle out of the side and to adapt a way of playing without him, he's an anchor man who is literally weighing the team down. Strikers are coming into midfield as Doyle and Bayliss are too far away, Doyle's insistence on picking up the ball in the left back position makes Bayliss drop deeper than he should be to ensure we're not exposed when the ball is lost. There is nobody following up second balls just outside the opposition area.

Esoterica

I’ve said this most of November, the focus is on Doyle yet what about about Bayliss?

In the last few weeks he’s only really put in a performance in for 45 second half mins against Peterborough.

The kids stacks of ability as we all know but he’s simply not performing and living off last years reputation and going under the radar.

If we’re gonna dissect performances then he needs to be under the same scrutiny as Doyle’s but the fact is many wear blinkers so look at the ageing Doyle who yes isn’t perfect and making mistakes.

But as midfield options are so limited Bayliss is getting the free ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am very critical of Doyle and not so much of Bayliss. It's not blinkers though. Is he as effective around the box as last year when he predominantly played at RM against teams who were mostly happy with a point and knowing he had 2 DMs behind him? No.
This year though Bayliss is being asked to play as a box to box midfielder, effectively alone in central midfield, in his first full season and at a level higher than last year. It's a mammoth ask of a 19 year old and to say he's simply not performing is incredible. That he has the talent to at least partially make that work in games is amazing. He will look a much, much better player with a partner alongside him that has more than 1 gear, actually wins some ball (Doyle just picks up loose ball) and will regularly move and want the ball beyond the half way line.

While Bayliss is having to pick the ball up 30 yards from his own goal with nothing simple in front of him, his performances will remain inconsistent with a capped effectiveness.

eastwoodsdustman

We need Doyle out of the side and to adapt a way of playing without him, he's an anchor man who is literally weighing the team down. Strikers are coming into midfield as Doyle and Bayliss are too far away, Doyle's insistence on picking up the ball in the left back position makes Bayliss drop deeper than he should be to ensure we're not exposed when the ball is lost. There is nobody following up second balls just outside the opposition area.
That’s partly been down to Hyam not being confident enough to either pass forward or take the ball forwards meaning Doyle has to show for the ball in a very deep position and then it just drags everything back from there. Bayliss looks hamstrung having to play the deeper role with less cover behind him. Shipley for all of his faults on the left wing did offer cover in the middle and defensively as would kelly or ogogo in the middle.
Bayliss will be great alongside Kante, but we haven’t got the resources or the players at this level that allow one defensive and one attacking centre midfielder.

Magwitch

Just my opinion but we play completely the wrong system go back to tried and trusted 4-3-3- thats 2 up front, a winger, tough centre midfielder with skill and pacey players either side, simple, oh and play your best players Tom Davies is our best centre back, play him with either Willis or Hyam alongside.

Covstu

I am very critical of Doyle and not so much of Bayliss. It's not blinkers though. Is he as effective around the box as last year when he predominantly played at RM against teams who were mostly happy with a point and knowing he had 2 DMs behind him? No.
This year though Bayliss is being asked to play as a box to box midfielder, effectively alone in central midfield, in his first full season and at a level higher than last year. It's a mammoth ask of a 19 year old and to say he's simply not performing is incredible. That he has the talent to at least partially make that work in games is amazing. He will look a much, much better player with a partner alongside him that has more than 1 gear, actually wins some ball (Doyle just picks up loose ball) and will regularly move and want the ball beyond the half way line.

While Bayliss is having to pick the ball up 30 yards from his own goal with nothing simple in front of him, his performances will remain inconsistent with a capped effectiveness.
So we struggle on the left, why not play Bayliss there? He can run well but too lightweight at the moment to play centre. Introduce Kelly or Ogogo in the centre to play out to Bayliss and Thomas.

clint van damme

So we struggle on the left, why not play Bayliss there? He can run well but too lightweight at the moment to play centre. Introduce Kelly or Ogogo in the centre to play out to Bayliss and Thomas.

I think that's what I'd do next game, with Bakayoko in for JCH.
There's a lot of similarities between this season and last and McNulty wasn't doing the business at this stage and I'm hoping that Chaplins season will take a similar trajectory so I'd leave him in.

Covstu

I think that's what I'd do next game, with Bakayoko in for JCH.
There's a lot of similarities between this season and last and McNulty wasn't doing the business at this stage and I'm hoping that Chaplins season will take a similar trajectory so I'd leave him in.
don't think Chaplin has had much service (or JCH for that matter), we seem to play it behind them or want to walk it in the net. Get some wide players who have pace and get balls in the box and we will score. How many times do we see teams getting loose balls in our area and making us pay but this never happens to us!

clint van damme

don't think Chaplin has had much service (or JCH for that matter), we seem to play it behind them or want to walk it in the net. Get some wide players who have pace and get balls in the box and we will score. How many times do we see teams getting loose balls in our area and making us pay but this never happens to us!

been saying this for a few weeks, we don't create chances in the right areas, used the example of Charlton, get striker in 6 yard box, get ball in 6 yard box - goals!
Same Friday, Chaplin in 6 yard box, ball in 6 yard box, equaliser, but we're just not creating enough of those situations.

Nick

Administrator
been saying this for a few weeks, we don't create chances in the right areas, used the example of Charlton, get striker in 6 yard box, get ball in 6 yard box - goals!
Same Friday, Chaplin in 6 yard box, ball in 6 yard box, equaliser, but we're just not creating enough of those situations.

To be fair, he had an easier one last night and a penalty and wasn't able to actually strike the ball properly else they would have both gone in.

clint van damme

To be fair, he had an easier one last night and a penalty and wasn't able to actually strike the ball properly else they would have both gone in.

true, but all strikers miss penalties occasionally. Don't think it would have altered the out come, though the sitter he missed earlier might.
But whether it's Chaplin or someone else up front I think we need to start causing more problems for the opposition in their own box.

Users who are viewing this thread