F1 2021 (2 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Good job it's not at Spa this weekend!!

Jesus christ how the hell has that happened?

And great to see Leclerc on pole. Ferraris pace seems real this season. Would be great to see a genuine 3 way battle

hill83

giphy.gif

Paul Anthony

This is going to end under SC now, surely, seems there's a major problem with the tyres.

Paul Anthony

Interesting. If they restart on new tyres, Vettel has new softs to put on. He could be looking at a win....

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Hamilton most definitely sold his soul to the devil. How can so many other people suffer these kind of problems but almost never him.

xcraigx

Very happy for Seb. A genuinely likeable chap who's been through a very bad couple of years. Also vindicates the RB decision to get Perez in. He's so much better than the in house drivers.

If Merc want to win the constructors Bottas needs to be moved on to Williams a few months earlier. Get Russell in that car now.

Evo1883

Hes the luckiest driver i can ever remember.

Hopefully Sergio takes him out and we get a Seb win

He's clearly a great , but he literally has everything in his favour .

He still wins though which is what is required from him , besides today that is

hill83

I will say though. Everyone else who went long on the hard tyres but didn’t have a failure don’t get mentioned as being lucky but Hamilton does? How does that work? Or are we strictly talking about for the championship?

Paul Anthony

Hes the luckiest driver i can ever remember.

Hopefully Sergio takes him out and we get a Seb win

He's clearly a great , but he literally has everything in his favour .

He still wins though which is what is required from him , besides today that is

For a balanced debate:

Couldn't you say the same for Michael Schumacher though? Who literally had a Ferrari team mate move over on the line in Austria to hand him a win, and Bridgestone tyres designed specifically for his driving style. Heck, at times he even had the FIA giving out questionable penalties to his rivals for sometimes at best 50/50 incidents.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I will say though. Everyone else who went long on the hard tyres but didn’t have a failure don’t get mentioned as being lucky but Hamilton does? How does that work? Or are we strictly talking about for the championship?

Over the course of his career he's had some outrageous good fortune. Not just in terms of mechanical (which he can have some say over) but other drivers having it or being taken out.

Today I mentioned it because he looked like he was going further behind until the tyre blew on the person beating him. Of course he then failed but it still works in his favour because even though he got no points neither did Max. Had the tyre not gone he'd have been further behind despite scoring points. Max also lost the extra point for fastest lap

hill83

Over the course of his career he's had some outrageous good fortune. Not just in terms of mechanical (which he can have some say over) but other drivers having it or being taken out.

Today I mentioned it because he looked like he was going further behind until the tyre blew on the person beating him. Of course he then failed but it still works in his favour because even though he got no points neither did Max. Had the tyre not gone he'd have been further behind despite scoring points. Max also lost the extra point for fastest lap

You could argue he’d be on 9 titles but for some bad luck as well though.

He doesn’t get the plaudits he deserves for taking essentially a middle of the pack merc to the front. Many drivers are hired for what they bring to the team, feedback and ideas for the car etc but that never gets mentioned for him. He’s just “lucky to be in the fastest car” as if it’s purely by chance and he had nothing to do with it.

Evo1883

Has it been , and I don't want to sound like I'm dismissing Hamilton as I've already stated he's a great , the least competitive F1 decade ever?

He is a remarkable driver no question

hill83

Also Max’s tantrum storming about kicking the tyres was great. Looked like he put on a show to me.

hill83

Has it been , and I don't want to sound like I'm dismissing Hamilton as I've already stated he's a great , the least competitive F1 decade ever?

Purely because of luck

Joking aside though, even though it’s been all merc I’ve enjoyed it loads

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You could argue he’d be on 9 titles but for some bad luck as well though.

He doesn’t get the plaudits he deserves for taking essentially a middle of the pack merc to the front. Many drivers are hired for what they bring to the team, feedback and ideas for the car etc but that never gets mentioned for him. He’s just “lucky to be in the fastest car” as if it’s purely by chance and he had nothing to do with it.

Are you suggesting that the Merc and McLaren before it were not clearly the best cars on track at the time? Of course part of that will be due to Hamilton's input but Bottas is an average driver and the only reason he's been as high as he has is due to the car he's been driving. Put Max or leclerc in that car and Hamilton would've had some proper competition.

He's clearly one of, if not the, best driver ever to grace the sport but as someone else mentioned with Schumacher he gets and awful amount of stuff going for him compared to the stuff against.

hill83

I’m not suggesting anything really and obviously luck plays a part.

Although Merc were 4th/5th before Hamilton got there. I’m more talking about the people who say he’s lucky to be in the fastest car like he had nothing to do with it.

Saddlebrains

I’m not suggesting anything really and obviously luck plays a part.

Although Merc were 4th/5th before Hamilton got there. I’m more talking about the people who say he’s lucky to be in the fastest car like he had nothing to do with it.

Tbf you make some great points and Hamilton, although i cannot stand him is one of the GOATS. But for me he will always be second to Michael

In 94 and 95 The Benetton was the second best car and he won titles in it.

He moved to a ferrari in the doldrums and got in Brawn, Byrne etc and turned them within 4 seasons into unbeatable. 96 ferrari was a Complete pig and he won 3 races in it.

97 and 98 he had no business at all taking the title battle to the last race in cars that were miles behind williams/mclaren.

99 he would have won it but the broken leg happened.

2000-2004, wasnt the cakewalk everyone thinks, 00 was to the wire with Mika, 03 last race with Kimi.

And Mercedes have always said that yes, whilst results didnt come, his input into helping them become front runners before he left was a big part of shaping the direction they went in for the hybrid era.

Contrast to Hamilton, who started his career, in, and has had ever since, race winning and title winning cars from day one. Bar 09 Mclaren and 2013 Mercedes (great call from him in the end)

Yes Michael had more testing, subservient teammates, but he came into F1 with Jordan and progressed through sheer determination, nouse and pace.

I just feel thats what Lewis has never had to do, hes somewhat had the car to do the business in all but 2 of his 15 years in F1

Where as Michael, he had the best machinery in i would say 5 years of his career

Users who are viewing this thread