F1 2021 (1 Viewer)

xcraigx

Verstappen looking quite comfortable here, he'll be on such fresher tyres at the end that even if Hamilton can get his tyres to the end he will be a sitting duck.

Paul Anthony

Confused me, they’ve been stronger all weekend and Mercedes have struggled with the rear so surely they’d have just covered the stop assuming Hamilton’s tyres would drop off.

That being said, 1m to the right at the exit of turn 4 and he wins

The irony being race control didn't really give a hoot about track limits at turn 4 until Verstappen and Red Bull complained about it on the radio.

That said, some drivers have said that they were told by race control that track limits at 4 would be policed in practice and qualy, but not the race. They don't half make it hard on themselves, F1, when they make the track limits rules up as the weekend goes on. What they should say is that the white line is the hard limit. 2 wheels over is fine, 4 over is not. It would be so much simpler.

SkyBlueSoul

It feels a bit like F1’s version of VAR where it’s too convoluted and changes week to week. 4 wheels off = bad all the way round the track is definitely the way to go

Paul Anthony

I love this track. It might not always provide the best racing, but it has gravel round it, walls beyond that, and it always looks properly fast. You get a real sense of jeapordy when you see the drivers going for it.

They've extended the DRS this year compared to last, so that should help somewhat.

Paul Anthony

Probably a minority view, but I hate it. Makes overtaking so artificial, takes the skill out of it to a certain extent, too. I know we'd got to a stage where overtaking was proper challenging, but a driver's skill is also in keeping a faster car behind them, not having them breeze by on a straight.

I wouldn't say it's a minority view at all, certainly not amongst fans. In an ideal world they'll get the cars able to follow better without the need for it from next year.

Problem is people became obsessed with the idea that great races had to involve lots of overtaking. So F1 reacted. But, there are plenty of examples in history of great races that didn't necessarily have a lot of overtaking, yet still proved a lot of tension. You can go back to 2005 and 2006 at this very track, for example. Or Monaco in 1992, with Mansell trying everything to pass Senna but not being able to, which is considered a classic.

To add to that, there's a reason Montoya was one one of my favourite drivers. He found ways to overtake where others couldn't, he was very aggressive, never afraid to have a go. I think it's become a mentality amongst drivers that the cost of getting it wrong for the team is very expensive, so it deters them somewhat, and we've lost some of that attitude.

Last edited:

xcraigx

Montoya was brilliant, a real do or die attitude. He really riled Michael Schumacher too which was also a plus. I followed him from his Indy Car days(or was it Champ Cars by then?) where he and Alex Zanardi inparticular were absolutely fearless.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Just as an aside, while waiting for the next race, what's everyone's favourite circuit? I love the Hungarian GP at the Hungaroring circuit. Twisty track with little room for manoeuvre, so skill is tested to the max.

Paul Anthony

Suzuka and Spa are my favourite circuits, Silverstone is up there too although I prefered the old layout with Bridge rather than the current one.

Paul Anthony

Montoya was brilliant, a real do or die attitude. He really riled Michael Schumacher too which was also a plus. I followed him from his Indy Car days(or was it Champ Cars by then?) where he and Alex Zanardi inparticular were absolutely fearless.

Zanardi is someone who deserves a lot of respect, to have gone through what he went through must have been horrific. He really came close to the end.

xcraigx

Zanardi is someone who deserves a lot of respect, to have gone through what he went through must have been horrific. He really came close to the end.

Twice nearly killed. He's an inspirational figure and hopefully when he recovers from his most recent near death experience he will continue to be. I get the feeling he's not the type to retire and take things easy, he'll just astound even more people

His best ever move, absolutely mental and at one of the best corners in world motorsport. I think he would be done for track limits these days.

NorthernWisdom

I love the Hungarian GP at the Hungaroring circuit.

Been there!

Been there too ;)

Spa was far better in terms of a spectacle - the cars felt on their limit, and it seemed proper challenge of man vs machine vas nature. Hungary was a little... boring. Pure coincidence for both but, Spa happened to be Schumacher's first ever GP (not that he made it to where we were stood!) and Hungary was when Mansell won the title. Perry McCarthy had so little money at that stage, he had to hitch a lift on our bus to the circuit!

xcraigx

What an exciting qualifying session. Hamilton will be pretty surprised to find himself on pole, I think but for Verstappen's error on his final run he would have just shaded it. Mercedes have certainly pulled things back in 3 weeks, really impressive. I'm not sure what went on with Bottas, losing four tenths in the first sector on his final run when it didn't look he had made a mistake.

Hard luck for Lando, that McLaren is incredibly quick, especially in the first sector.

Paul Anthony

Really thought Lando had pulled that off. Shame. Interesting that for once the tables are turned and Red Bull have the upper hand on strategy. We really are in for a great season of racing!

xcraigx

Did someone mention rain? Happy days!

If Merc still have issues warming their tyres up early on then it's not good news for Hamilton. Narrow track, barriers, gravel traps, rain... It all adds up to safety cars and wildly differing strategies.

SkyBlueSoul

Jesus, Bottas and Russell too! Shit’s gone dowwwn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread