F1 2021 (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

Seeing a lot of F1 Journos tweeting this week that Russell has been told hes in the Mercedes next season.

Would explain valterris being even worse than his usual shit

If VB drops off a cliff and looks likely to cost Merc the constructors, then Russell will be in that seat mid season.

Shame for VB but it would be exciting to watch two competitive mercs against 2 competitive RBs

Paul Anthony

If it does happen, I'd expect they'll be swapping seats, so Russell to Mercs and Bottas back to Williams. I've heard rumours of a decision being by Silverstone, but nothing concrete.

Paul Anthony

Better race than I expected. Mercedes are doing everything they can to bottle this championship, unusual to see Red Bull acing the strategy over them, but they got it spot on today.

xcraigx

Hamilton may as well have pulled over and waved Verstappen past, that was the most half arsed attempt to defend i've ever seen him make. If there's one guy who will make it hard, no matter the circumstance it's Hamilton. Tires are gone, fair enough, but he made no attempt to cover the inside.

Any reason why Merc didn't pit Bottas to get the point for fastest lap? That's one gifted to Verstappen and a further two point swing to Red Bull in the constructors championship. Absolutely bizarre. They must have had a lightly used set kicking about and nothing to lose by taking the punt.

George Russell should have been promoted during the winter and the longer Bottas is in the number two seat the harder it will be for Hamilton to win the championship and Merc to win the constructors.

And my eyes hurt, that track is just brutal to stare at for 90 minutes.

tisza

Better race than I expected. Mercedes are doing everything they can to bottle this championship, unusual to see Red Bull acing the strategy over them, but they got it spot on today.
It's "off-track" stuff where Red Bull have made a big jump on Mercedes as well plus having a better car. Pit stops better, strategy better (although helps having the better car). Possibly the number of staff Red Bull have been recruiting (and still are) from Mercedes making an impact. Over 50 making the switch on the engine side alone for the future.
Mercedes also paying a price for "ignoring" the 2021 car and focusing on the 2022 car with the changes coming next season. (Ferrari the same). Red Bull focused more attention on their 2021 car than the others and it's paying off.

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

Mercedes have always had a shit strategy team, just masked by a dominant car.

Loving seeing Max and Red Bull.do this to.merc, the last few years have been abysmal.

Hope they carry it on
Perez was crucial to red bull’s strategy, Bottas and Sergio will not only decide the constructors , but the driver’s championship too. Red bull knew that boxing max and leaving sergio out till the end meant that if merc pitted VB and LH they would have come out behind Perez , who wouldn’t have let them past by any stretch of the imagination. Perez and Bottas will be almost as crucial as Verstappen and Hamilton in strategy calls across the season

Saddlebrains

Perez was crucial to red bull’s strategy, Bottas and Sergio will not only decide the constructors , but the driver’s championship too. Red bull knew that boxing max and leaving sergio out till the end meant that if merc pitted VB and LH they would have come out behind Perez , who wouldn’t have let them past by any stretch of the imagination. Perez and Bottas will be almost as crucial as Verstappen and Hamilton in strategy calls across the season

In regards to that who do you hink will help their team mate more?

For me its Perez, Bottas knows hes out of Mercedes next season and doesnt give 2 shits

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

For me its Perez, Bottas knows hes out of Mercedes next season and doesnt give 2 shits
I agree, I believe Perez will want to please red bull to have the best chance Of staying in the red bull (especially due to the array of young talent they have) , and as you say bottas may have been told he isn’t in the car next year and doesn’t care , so won’t bow down to the team as much anymore , as seen at barcelona where he held up hamilton (or at least tried to)

tisza

Perez. Big plus for Red Bull. More experienced than their recent 2nd drivers. Great tyre manager which is massive in terms of strategy Vs Mercedes in that he may not win races but can severely disrupt Mercedes race plans.

Frostie

Any reason why Merc didn't pit Bottas to get the point for fastest lap? That's one gifted to Verstappen and a further two point swing to Red Bull in the constructors championship. Absolutely bizarre. They must have had a lightly used set kicking about and nothing to lose by taking the punt.

George Russell should have been promoted during the winter and the longer Bottas is in the number two seat the harder it will be for Hamilton to win the championship and Merc to win the constructors.

Can't get my head around that either. They were in the pit lane with tyres before Perez even passed Bottas but obviously changed their minds.

I've said it before but I'm not convinced Merc/Hamilton wanted a genuine contender in Russell alongside him - we've seen how that works out before with both Alonso & Rosberg.

They much preferred Bottas as a reliable 'rear gunner' but now he's not performing in that role (not his fault this week tbf) it might be time to make a change.

Frostie

Toto Wolff said they expected Perez to get a penalty for overtaking him off the track, that would possibly demote him behind Bottas - that's why.

Fair enough, didn't hear that.
He was well past Bottas before running off slightly though, pretty obvious he didn't gain an advantage.

NorthernWisdom

Fair enough, didn't hear that.
He was well past Bottas before running off slightly though, pretty obvious he didn't gain an advantage.
He turns up on the Channel Four highlights programme quite a lot - he's the best thing on it! Also loved his reaction when pushed about Bottas raging about Merc not letting him do a two-stop - "I love it!" he said, delighted Bottas was showing some passion!

Saddlebrains

Apparently Mercedes have stopped development to focus on 2022.

Red Bull still have one major update to come in 3 races time apparently and then thats them finished for this season.

If so i think Red Bull should do both the drivers and constructors. Hopefully

Frostie

He turns up on the Channel Four highlights programme quite a lot - he's the best thing on it! Also loved his reaction when pushed about Bottas raging about Merc not letting him do a two-stop - "I love it!" he said, delighted Bottas was showing some passion!

Just reading it now, seems that he bit back a bit at Bottas too, blaming him for triggering the early pitstops in the first place by ruining his tyres locking up.

Still think the not stopping him again was daft, at best Perez would have had a 5 second penalty & Bottas couldn't keep within 5 seconds of him anyway.

NorthernWisdom

Just reading it now, seems that he bit back a bit at Bottas too, blaming him for triggering the early pitstops in the first place by ruining his tyres locking up.

Still think the not stopping him again was daft, at best Perez would have had a 5 second penalty & Bottas couldn't keep within 5 seconds of him anyway.
It's what he's good at though - being firm with his drivers, making sure they know he's in charge however much they earn (even Hamilton), but giving them enough leeway to be human, and acknowledging how they feel, encouraging competition, but not too far.

It was pretty close to Perez at the end, less than a second off the five, so not enough time to pit and get a flying lap really, and always a chance they ended up more draconian and decided on 10 seconds, just because he didn;t give the place back. I'd say it's right to keep him out... but what's of more upset to me really is offering apoint for fastest lap and contriving it so teams can go for it at the end, out of sync and out of true pace.

Plus imagine if another wheel nut got stuck... ;)

tisza

Apparently Mercedes have stopped development to focus on 2022.

Red Bull still have one major update to come in 3 races time apparently and then thats them finished for this season.

If so i think Red Bull should do both the drivers and constructors. Hopefully
Sounds strange after recent seasons but also hats off to Honda for a good engine that doesn't breakdown all the time

hill83

All the talk of Honda etc and it’s as much as the rule changes slowing the mercs down as anything else.Aston Martin being a prime example of that.

Glad it’s happened though because as much as I’m a Lewis Hamilton fan we all want to see a fight.

SkyBlueSoul

Wtf is wrong with Ricciardo today? Absolutely nowhere while Lando’s smashing it so far

Paul Anthony

Am I the only one who thinks he’s massively overrated? He’s a good character, but Norris has really shown him up so far this season.

I may be biased, (he's my favourite driver! ) but I wouldn't say he's overrated. No doubt he's had his struggles this year for whatever reason that may be, but even if you take into the car he had at Red Bull, his form last year was amongst the best on the grid.

I'm sure he'll get it together.

tisza

I may be biased, (he's my favourite driver! ) but I wouldn't say he's overrated. No doubt he's had his struggles this year for whatever reason that may be, but even if you take into the car he had at Red Bull, his form last year was amongst the best on the grid.

I'm sure he'll get it together.
I'm a big fan too. On his day a brilliant driver but just wonder whether the move to Renault was a paycheck move that coincided with Red Bull moving to a clear top driver strategy. Not sure he's as focussed as he used to be and that his time in F1 is probably nearing its end.

Saddlebrains

Danny Ric was a top tier driver. But i think hes come to the realisation that he will never win a title.

Or maybe even anymore races. And thats in his head however much he portrays the happy go lucky aussie. I still love him, but the danny ric ship has sailed.

Max, Leclerc, Sainz, Russell, Lando, Gasly.

F1 is going through a changing of the guard and i find it very enjoyable.

xcraigx

Hamilton can't afford for Max to get away, time to send a risky one up the inside. Especially when he's got a very quick Norris sat behind him.

Users who are viewing this thread