European championships 2020 thread (5 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

I’ll take another 4 boring 1-0s

I actually think we look good on the break so we might be good against a decent side.

Last edited:

COV

I’ll take another 4 boring 0-0s

I actually think we look good on the break so we might be good against a decent side.

We will look miles better against any team that comes at us, because that suits our game. We look very cumbersome having to go after teams ourselves

COV

Last Friday that’s how badly we were playing. I get that you’re enjoying the performances but with home advantage in every game and a blessing of attacking players he could and should be more ambitious.

I’m not enjoying the performances but I didn’t expect to- we don’t set out to attack teams like you want us to. Expecting to tonk Scotland & these guys tonight really just betrays a lack of knowledge of how England play.

Against a Germany or a France- we likely wouldn’t win but the match would be unrecognisable

As for ambitious- not conceding a goal and winning the group easily, is that not ambitious enough for you?

COV

We will also need to score more than one to beat said teams.

What about If we keep another clean sheet, wouldn’t one goal be enough then?

Oh yes of course- “there’s no way we will keep a clean sheet, we’re shit, not ambitious enough, wasting talent” etc etc” 🤪

Evo1883

We will look miles better against any team that comes at us, because that suits our game. We look very cumbersome having to go after teams ourselves

Czech Republic came at us a bit second half I thought , we got worse

Actually that's a bit of a fib , they controlled it . We didn't have a single shot second half

It's concerning

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m not enjoying the performances but I didn’t expect to- we don’t set out to attack teams like you want us to. Expecting to tonk Scotland & these guys tonight really just betrays a lack of knowledge of how England play.

Against a Germany or a France- we likely wouldn’t win but the match would be unrecognisable

As for ambitious- not conceding a goal and winning the group easily, is that not ambitious enough for you?

I don’t expect us to approach Scotland or Czech in the same way we would the best sides in the competition. You play weaker sides at home, you know they will pack behind the ball. Patient possession sideways football is not going to do the business in games like that and it especially isn’t harnessing the part of the pitch where we are clearly strongest.

It isn’t all out attack I advocate despite countless misrepresentations to the contrary

Brighton Sky Blue

What about If we keep another clean sheet, wouldn’t one goal be enough then?

Oh yes of course- “there’s no way we will keep a clean sheet, we’re shit, not ambitious enough, wasting talent” etc etc” 🤪

If we keep a clean sheet on Tuesday I would be very surprised.

COV

I don’t expect us to approach Scotland or Czech in the same way we would the best sides in the competition. You play weaker sides at home, you know they will pack behind the ball. Patient possession sideways football is not going to do the business in games like that and it especially isn’t harnessing the part of the pitch where we are clearly strongest.

It isn’t all out attack I advocate despite countless misrepresentations to the contrary

But patient possession football did do the business? We won the group didn’t we?

SBAndy

Feels a bit like having to justify 352 all over again doesn’t it?

Sky Blue Harry H

Most on here want England to do well, but anyone can see we are not playing to our potential, and if we don't against the better teams we will go out. That is why most are concerned - at Southgate's seeming inability to get us playing close to that potential. The tools are there, but not necessarily the operator

SBAndy

Most on here want England to do well, but anyone can see we are not playing to our potential, and if we don't against the better teams we will go out. That is why most are concerned - at Southgate's seeming inability to get us playing close to that potential. The tools are there, but not necessarily the operator

On this, I don’t have much of a problem with Southgate, get what he’s trying to do and that. But I’d be much more content with us sitting on a 2-0 lead considering our defence isn’t the greatest so why we hit the reverse gear after 35 minutes today and we’re defending the edge of our area is beyond me. Push the fuck up.

Brighton Sky Blue

Feels a bit like having to justify 352 all over again doesn’t it?

It is a bit, but it’s not so much the shape that bothers me as much as how the players are being told to play. I get that slow build up possession is ‘in’ now but it doesn’t make it right for the players at our disposal and not is it the only way to get a result.

A team playing an effective press will cause us big problems while a team more well versed in the possession game will control proceedings.

PVA

We look decent when we attack with pace and tempo.

When we spend ages knocking it about the back we look so slow and unthreatening. Plus we seem to get deeper and slower as the game wears on.

We're not making the most of the players we have available and we're not getting the most out of our best players. It's so frustrating. We have a squad capable of playing attacking and attractive football.

We just have to hope we can catch Germany/Portugal on the break but if they score first we are in big, big trouble.

CJ_covblaze

Better tonight. Kane held up the ball well and others around were more in tune. Saka MOTM but there are a good few that could claim it.

PVA

Wouldn't be surprised if we went 352 or 343 in the next game, particularly if we face Germany so it could be a very different looking team

Frostie

Wouldn't be surprised if we went 352 or 343 in the next game, particularly if we face Germany so it could be a very different looking team

The obvious way to approach Germany's 3-4-3 would be 4-2-3-1 again only this time actually allow our full backs to get forward & double up on Gosens & Kimmich.
As City fans, we know ourselves where the strengths & weaknesses are of a wing-back formation but Southgate was so averse to try to exploit it vs Scotland I don't know what to expect.

Last edited:

hill83

I’d keep it the same. As much as I rate Foden we need runners out wide. Saka is the one. Maybe Shaw for Trippier or Chilwell

Foden could do Grealish’s job but Grealish is better I think. Strength, runner, alongside the same attributes as Foden.

Otis

So ...all these plaudits for Scotland and the media fawning all over them, but they ended up with the stat of 3 games played, 1 draw, 2 defeats, 1 point, 1 goal.

Go Scotland. Yay. 🙄

Sky Blue Harry H

Grealish didn't get on the ball 2nd half and I wouldn't be surprised if Foden and Mount come back and Grealish and Saka are benched.

Anybody see the devastated look on Grealish's face when he was subbed?

CCFCSteve

It is a bit, but it’s not so much the shape that bothers me as much as how the players are being told to play. I get that slow build up possession is ‘in’ now but it doesn’t make it right for the players at our disposal and not is it the only way to get a result.

A team playing an effective press will cause us big problems while a team more well versed in the possession game will control proceedings.

Like Croatia ?!

Now I’m not going to get overly excited (we’ve been dour in patches) or say Southgate picked the teams I would’ve, but we’ll only really know when we play the next game. As one of the commentators said last night, if we go toe to toe with France who’s likely to win ?! Croatia barely had an attacking kick and whilst second half last night was disjointed we could’ve easily had three by half time (sterling post and Kane one on one)

Id like Mount alongside Phillips or Rice but also appreciate against the better teams thats probably a no no….best we can expect is Hendo

Comfortably through even after a very poor game lacking intensity against the Scots. That mayve just been the kick up the arse Southgate and the players needed. Grealish and Saka we’re both excellent last night, especially first half so I hope would keep places. If not, I take the above back Southgate out ! 😂

Last edited:

CCFCSteve

Grealish didn't get on the ball 2nd half and I wouldn't be surprised if Foden and Mount come back and Grealish and Saka are benched.

Anybody see the devastated look on Grealish's face when he was subbed?

Yeah, but he just loves playing and knows he didn’t see much of the ball second half. Won’t take any more from it than that

Users who are viewing this thread