Euro 2016 big thread (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

To say that Hart was too pumped up singing the national anthem is a joke did they not watch Buffon earlier he sings it like his life depends on it but can still save the ball.

oscillatewildly

To say that Hart was too pumped up singing the national anthem is a joke did they not watch Buffon earlier he sings it like his life depends on it but can still save the ball.
Buffon is without question still the best GK in the world. He could have done a hand stand with a lit candle stuck in his arse during the anthems - it would not have altered any one's opinion of him or affected his match performance. At least (less than) average Joe can now reassure his missus no summer international tournaments from this day on will affect any holiday plans they may have.

Otis

Anyone know what happened to Alli the wonder kid who was going to be a real star?

Looked incredibly lightweight tonight and most of the tournament and hasn't shone at all.

skyblue1991

I woulve had Mourinho but that isn't going to happen now. Second choice Ranieri

We are a team full of good players that don't play as a team. Until we get that sorted we aren't going anywhere.

We should've won tonight, no questions. Well done to Iceland; they played like a team full of passion that wanted to do their country proud.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

no_loyalty

Anyone know what happened to Alli the wonder kid who was going to be a real star?

Looked incredibly lightweight tonight and most of the tournament and hasn't shone at all.

He has been poor, don't understand why Barkley wasn't given a run out?

stupot07

He has been poor, don't understand why Barkley wasn't given a run out?
Me neither, Barkley was used all the way through the qualifiers and just discarded in the euros. He could have made a decent impact tonight, hes much more comfortable on the ball in tight areas than Alli.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

What I can't get my head around tonight is the group of individual performances.

Yes, Rooney had a stinker and couldn't pass, or trap or keep possession. Get that, a player can have a complete off day.

I don't think I have seen so many individuals do the same thing in the same game before though. Rooney couldn't pass, trap or control the ball, but then neither could Kane or Sturridge, or Rose either.

So many players all could do the basics, so that has to point to something greater doesn't it? I see players have bad games for the City where nothing seems to come off, but it is so very rare to see a player stopping doing the very basics.

Rooney is a very good passer of the ball. Tonight I lost count of how many passes that went directly to an Icelandic player and weren't even close to going to one of our own men.

Monners

Shame Lineker said well done to Ireland at the start. Thought France had dropped out! Shearer should take it on - Never get the job though as he talks too much sense

CJ_covblaze

Gutted isn't the word. During this campaign we've been to 25 games. Done 35,000 miles. Taken dozens of flights, half a dozen ferries and 30+ trains. Stayed in 30+ hotels. I really don't want to know how much it's cost. Weeks and weeks off work too. After all that they give us that performance.

Feel sick. What makes it worse is thinking of the fun times ahead....
2018: We'll get our heads kicked in.
2020: We'll travel from Baku to Bilbao with 24 hours notice.
2022: We'll get 10 years inside for opening one can of Stella.

Addi

Well. So this is what success feels like. I've supported Cov since I was 9 years old and watched us beat Spurs in 87, but living in Iceland (not a lot of Cov fans around here) I never realised that the feeling of success is just pure ecstasy.

The Icelandic commentator feels the same way :happy:

wingy

Well. So this is what success feels like. I've supported Cov since I was 9 years old and watched us beat Spurs in 87, but living in Iceland (not a lot of Cov fans around here) I never realised that the feeling of success is just pure ecstasy.

Hey
Well done

CJ_covblaze

Well done to your team and to your fans. Been terrific though out. You'll beat the French.

Otis

Astonished at the Mirror 's England player ratings.

Hart - 4
Walker -6
Cahill - 4
Smalling - 4
Rose - 6
Dier - 5
Alli - 6
Rooney - 6
Sturridge - 5
Sterling - 5
Kane - 4

6 for Rooney? WTF! 6 for Walker and Rose? 6 for Alli?

What game were they watching? Has to be Rooney's worst ever performance without doubt. Don't think he did anything right all game apart from score the penalty. Our worst performance for an absolute age and 4 players warrant a 6? Not one player did okay last night, not one, apart from Rashford.

Think this is much more accurate....

Hart - 3
Walker - 3
Cahill - 4
Smalling - 4
Rose - 5
Dier - 5
Alli - 4
Rooney - 2 (he really was that dreadful)
Sturridge - 4
Sterling - 5
Kane - 3

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Rumours circulating that Sterling is going to start again tonight.

Hart - 4
Walker -6
Cahill - 4
Smalling - 4
Rose - 6
Dier - 5
Alli - 6
Rooney - 6
Sturridge - 5
Sterling - 5
Kane - 4

What game were they watching? Has to be Rooney's worst ever performance without doubt. Don't think he did anything right all game apart from score the penalty. Our worst performance for an absolute age and 4 players warrant a 6? Not one player did okay last night, not one, apart from Rashford.

Hart - 3
Walker - 3
Cahill - 4
Smalling - 4
Rose - 5
Dier - 5
Alli - 4
Sturridge - 4
Sterling - 5
Kane - 3

You had me until you gave Sterling a 5.

Otis

Rumours circulating that Sterling is going to start again tonight.

You had me until you gave Sterling a 5.
Well at least he won a pen, I was being generous though.

The worst for me were the ones who couldn't even trap a ball, pass or cross (Rooney and Kane especially)

Otis

You think I would have learned by now though wouldn't you, my being an England and City fan.

When the City looked like we could make the play-offs I was really concerned about a potential clash of a City play-off match and my daughter performing a show in London. Really bugged me and had me fretting.

Obviously it became fruitless as City's dreams were once again a damp squib!

Then for the last week or so I have been really concerned about the potential clash of an England quarter final on Sunday and my daughter's 12th birthday. Told my daughter that all her friends had to be gone from the party she is having here here by 7.30 pm at the very latest as England were on at 8.

Why don't I ever learn? :(

Covstu

So surely they have to be looking at one of our ex managers or players for the England job given the current incumbents in N Ireland, Scotland and Wales! Maybe Dion Dublin for manager?

Covstu

Hart - 4
Walker -6
Cahill - 4
Smalling - 4
Rose - 6
Dier - 5
Alli - 6
Rooney - 6
Sturridge - 5
Sterling - 5
Kane - 4

Hart - 3
Walker - 3
Cahill - 4
Smalling - 4
Rose - 5
Dier - 5
Alli - 4
Sturridge - 4
Sterling - 5
Kane - 3
Agree some over confident ratings there. I do love RH statement saying that England players don't pull out and are not dedicated and he doesn't see that. Well the fecking country did!

Covstu

So basically we flopped at three tournaments whilst he was in charge, the first euros you could take on the chin given he was just installed but the world cup and that performance last night were probably the two poorest showings I have seen since supporting England

Otis

Yeah, but therein lies the problem.

It's fine saying we are not good enough, as the papers are doing, but when you look at last night and then what players can do day in day out normally, you have to say the problem is psychological as much as anything else.

Can Rooney pass? Yes, course he can. His passing accuracy levels are very high. Could he pass last night? Nope. Not even 5 yards at times.

Can Rooney cross? Yes. Normally his crossing is very good. Could he cross last night? Nope. Over hit everything.

Kane has a great shot in him. We have all seen that. When you look at his free kicks in this tournament you would think he'd never taken a single free kick in his life! Just how wide was that one kick last night!!

Players last night totally underperformed. I don't mind if we perform as best we can, but then find we are not good enough, but all too often we under perform and fail to show.

If you watched England last night for the first time you would have probably have them down as a team of part time pub players.

It has to be psychological as much as anything else. It's not just players closing us down and stopping us playing. Rooney was passing to Icelandic players when he was under no pressure and Kane was hitting free kicks obviously from dead ball situations, again not in a situation of being closed down.

That free kick last night was as bad as any I have seen from a player these past few years. Just how wide was that?

Even if we are not that good a side we should not be putting in performances like that against Iceland last night.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread