Euro 2016 big thread (3 Viewers)

armybike

tisza

Anyone know what happened to Alli the wonder kid who was going to be a real star?

Looked incredibly lightweight tonight and most of the tournament and hasn't shone at all.
several players particularly Sterling & Sturridge just don't look strong enough. Trying to hold off people or even get round them far too easily pushed off the ball..

stupot07

Just shows how poor the Premier League actually is doesn't it?
Look at the PL teams performances in the Champions League over the last couple of seasons. The only team who did OK last season was Man city, who pretty much every outfield player in their starting 11 is foreign when fit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pipehitterz

honestly can say
last night broke me

i wont ever watch another international game of football
what is the point ?

hodgson ruined what should have been a footballing feast,
4 games, wrong subs and poor selection of favourites , is the same as every tournament , managers seem to just bottle it, i have no idea why

the next sap they bring in should be on minimum wages

Otis

honestly can say
last night broke me

i wont ever watch another international game of football
what is the point ?

hodgson ruined what should have been a footballing feast,
4 games, wrong subs and poor selection of favourites , is the same as every tournament , managers seem to just bottle it, i have no idea why

the next sap they bring in should be on minimum wages
Well yep, it's not just the players who bottle it, it's the managers too. Capello and Ericksson could both set our stalls out incredibly defensively and negatively when we have had very talented forward players.

Hodgson made many mistakes. He should have taken Townsend, possibly Andy Carroll too. Barklay should have been given an opportunity at some point. The six changes was the wrong thing to do for the Slovakia game.

He had Sturridge playing far too deep. We hadn't done our homework properly on the Gunnarsson long throws. He should have been brave enough to have taken Rooney off much earlier last night and brought Rashford on much earlier too.

He said he didn't know what his best team was. Think that was the biggest mistake of the lot. If the manager isn't sure of what he is doing then how can the players be!

Grendel

The players are poor. Hardly any would get in the major teams in this competition - if any.

The group we had was a gift - Russia and Slovakia were abysmal and wales a championship side.

The premier league is declining and many teams are loaded with pretty average overseas players.

No manager on earth would make this players capable of winning anything.

Very few would have ever been selected in the past.

Otis

The players are poor. Hardly any would get in the major teams in this competition - if any.

The group we had was a gift - Russia and Slovakia were abysmal and wales a championship side.

The premier league is declining and many teams are loaded with pretty average overseas players.

No manager on earth would make this players capable of winning anything..

Yet Greece won the European Championship with average players. It can be done. Look how far Iceland have got on the back of will, energy, belief and never say die attitude.

I agree we are not that good, but players last night who CAN pass, didn't. Kane has a great shot on him. In this tournament he has been truly awful. Can only put it down to a lack of bottle and belief.

None of us were expecting us to win the competition, but we should have at least been able to compete with Iceland.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I won money on last nights result......

I had Iceland to qualify anytime @ 5/1

I also called the score 1-2.....but got greedy & put it in a scorecast with gunnar.....

Comedy England as ever......makes me laugh....don't understand how anyone over the age of 30 can be shocked we lost......

Otis

I won money on last nights result......

I had Iceland to qualify anytime @ 5/1

I also called the score 1-2.....but got greedy & put it in a scorecast with gunnar.....

Comedy England as ever......makes me laugh....don't understand how anyone over the age of 30 can be shocked we lost......
Before the game I would have told you I would have been shocked, but as soon as we went 2-1 down you could see the way the game was going to pan out, with England getting worse and worse and more and more clueless as the game wore on.

I wasn't shocked at all to see 'same old England.'

jimmyhillsfanclub

look on the bright side......at least we avoided a double-figure humping from the French in the next round.....

Imagine our dog-shit defence up against pogba, griezmann & payet.......:wideyed:

xcraigx

It sickens me to think how much money these guys earn. I bust a gut and am potless and 50 years from now I will probably die potless. If I put in a shift like Rooney (and a fair few others) last night i'd be out of work.

Ashdown

If there is a God he has a very cruel sense of humour to have us all be born in England and then ALSO make us Coventry City fans as well too.

Double whammy bummer.
It was actually like watching City over the years in many of their own 'Losing to underdogs' shockers !

Ashdown

Well the traits of Hodgson are very similar to Mowbray. He even looked as broken as Mowbray did for about 3 months last season. You simply can't keep changing so many players every game.

Otis

Well the traits of Hodgson are very similar to Mowbray. He even looked as broken as Mowbray did for about 3 months last season. You simply can't keep changing so many players every game.
Iceland. 4 games, same team. I know they have less to pick from, but still, continuity. Lee Dixon said about a week ago, a back four need to stick together as much as possible. You develop an understanding and know how and when to cover each other.

Changing the midfield messed stuff up too. Henderson and Wilshire just didn't offer the same threat as Alli and Rooney.

Pick your best side and try and keep a settled team as best you can.

Mcbean

Clearly needs a complete rethink they have talent but bottled it totally
England players should come from the football league as the prem will never change its rules about foreigners
This would produce a team with heart with guys wanting to play for the shirt and regard it as an honour

Nick

Administrator
CmCS5KpWgAAxmSR.jpg

Liquid Gold

I think last night showed the value of playing as a team with a coherent formation, plan and players. What Iceland do might not be pretty or revolutionary but they have a plan and stick to it, they play a defensive 4-4-2 and don't allow any space between the lines. England have played 4-4-2 diamond, 4-3-3 and 4-3-2-1, we have no idea what we're doing, we don't know our best 11 and we are playing players out of position. Kane has had a shit tournament but he's used to playing in a 4-2-3-1 with attacking midfielders, Alli should never have been playing so deep, playing Sturridge and Lallana as wide strikers is insane. Of the top 6 yesterday only Dier was playing in his correct position and it shows when players can't play their natural game. We've made the same mistakes we always make by playing names instead of picking a coherent team, if Roy wanted to play 4-3-3 he needed wingers so should have taken Townsend and not so many centre forwards and then played them out of position.

It's just simple things and its infuriating to see it happen again and again.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
we had it all .......... well nearly all........ well some ......... well apart from team work, pace, technical ability, a clear plan, a manager that knew his best team, players playing in the right formation/positions, passing, guile, decent free kicks, decent corners, a keeper that could save shots, defenders who could defend at that level, strikers that could score, speed of thought, a midfield that sat and played safe etc etc .................... apart from that we were only three games off winning the whole thing we were really close NOT! :oops::shamefullyembarrased:

embarrassing really................. but good luck to Iceland they thoroughly deserved their win, the better team won

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...and-being-knocked-out-of-euro-2016-by-iceland

Terry Gibson's perm

I think last night showed the value of playing as a team with a coherent formation, plan and players. What Iceland do might not be pretty or revolutionary but they have a plan and stick to it, they play a defensive 4-4-2 and don't allow any space between the lines. England have played 4-4-2 diamond, 4-3-3 and 4-3-2-1, we have no idea what we're doing, we don't know our best 11 and we are playing players out of position. Kane has had a shit tournament but he's used to playing in a 4-2-3-1 with attacking midfielders, Alli should never have been playing so deep, playing Sturridge and Lallana as wide strikers is insane. Of the top 6 yesterday only Dier was playing in his correct position and it shows when players can't play their natural game. We've made the same mistakes we always make by playing names instead of picking a coherent team, if Roy wanted to play 4-3-3 he needed wingers so should have taken Townsend and not so many centre forwards and then played them out of position.

It's just simple things and its infuriating to see it happen again and again.

Or he should have left Barkley at home rather than getting splinters in his arse.

Nick

Administrator
SSNHQ has been told that senior England players:

• Were surprised by the use of a 4-3-3 formation, which had barely been implemented in any of England's friendly matches in 2016.
  • Questioned the selection of Raheem Sterling for the Iceland game, after he showed signs of lacking confidence throughout the tournament.
  • Felt momentum had been lost by making six changes for the Slovakia game, which they drew 0-0.
  • Wondered why Adam Lallana did not start against Iceland after his impressive performances during the group stages
  • Debated among themselves the merits of playing Wayne Rooney in midfield, for the first time in his England career.
  • Were left frustrated that Marcus Rashford was left to warm up for approximately 10 minutes before he was sent on for the final four minutes of the Iceland game with England in desperate need of a goal.
  • Felt his pre-prepared statement at the post-Iceland press conference was an indication he may have doubted the team's chances before the game.

CJ_covblaze

Astonished at the Mirror 's England player ratings.

Hart - 4
Walker -6
Cahill - 4
Smalling - 4
Rose - 6
Dier - 5
Alli - 6
Rooney - 6
Sturridge - 5
Sterling - 5
Kane - 4

6 for Rooney? WTF! 6 for Walker and Rose? 6 for Alli?

What game were they watching? Has to be Rooney's worst ever performance without doubt. Don't think he did anything right all game apart from score the penalty. Our worst performance for an absolute age and 4 players warrant a 6? Not one player did okay last night, not one, apart from Rashford.

Think this is much more accurate....

Hart - 3
Walker - 3
Cahill - 4
Smalling - 4
Rose - 5
Dier - 5
Alli - 4
Rooney - 2 (he really was that dreadful)
Sturridge - 4
Sterling - 5
Kane - 3

A tad harsh on Rooney. He played ok in the first half. Around 55 minutes he signalled to the bench to be taken off. Not his fault if they kept him for another half an hour. He looked baffled when Rashford didn't Rashford was kept on the touch line for so long.

Terry Gibson's perm

A tad harsh on Rooney. He played ok in the first half. Around 55 minutes he signalled to the bench to be taken off. Not his fault if they kept him for another half an hour. He looked baffled when Rashford didn't Rashford was kept on the touch line for so long.

A tad generous I would have said I didn't think he was worth more than a 2, I would never pick him again they had to fit him in and he was hopeless.

xcraigx

I thought Rooney had one of the worst games I have ever seen a professional footballer produce and I've seen a lot of crap over the years. It's a shame because I thought he had played well in the other 2 and a bit games. I was half expecting him to announce his retirement after the game but I see he's already saying he'll be available for selection to the new manager.

Covstu

Rooney was shocking but I guess if your at the game sometimes you pick up workrate etc off the ball.

If this was a cricket game, there would an an inquest into matchfixing, dodgy goals, cant pass to each other - it looked too poor at points!

I would like to see Hoddle have another crack at it with someone like Shearer or Pearce (as the talisman) in support. There is just no decent English managers I would select at this point. I wouldn't want to ruin Howe, Pardew would be too self absorbed (and do something silly), 'Arry not really interested.

Just don't want to go foreign again, it didn't work previously and wont work again.

Otis

I thought 2 for Rooney was rather generous. Worst ever performance I ever have seen from him, CJ. One thing you can always be confident of with Rooney is that he can pass the ball. Last night he couldn't even do that. Would love to see the pass accuracy for the whole team. It had to have been very low.

He always works his socks off and tries hard, but last night he was truly shocking in my opinion.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Well yep, it's not just the players who bottle it, it's the managers too. Capello and Ericksson could both set our stalls out incredibly defensively and negatively when we have had very talented forward players.

Hodgson made many mistakes. He should have taken Townsend, possibly Andy Carroll too. Barklay should have been given an opportunity at some point. The six changes was the wrong thing to do for the Slovakia game.

He had Sturridge playing far too deep. We hadn't done our homework properly on the Gunnarsson long throws. He should have been brave enough to have taken Rooney off much earlier last night and brought Rashford on much earlier too.

He said he didn't know what his best team was. Think that was the biggest mistake of the lot. If the manager isn't sure of what he is doing then how can the players be!
The last paragraph sums it up Otis Roy didn't know who his best team was
That's his job !!
Time to move on everyone is cheesed off England will qualify for the next World Cup and we will all fall for it again

England are not a good team did you know on competitive tournament football Since 1966 England have only won 9 games
We have tried English managers foreign managers and we still have flattered to decive
Something is institutionally wrong with the English game

Users who are viewing this thread