Euro 2016 big thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

we had it all .......... well nearly all........ well some ......... well apart from team work, pace, technical ability, a clear plan, a manager that knew his best team, players playing in the right formation/positions, passing, guile, decent free kicks, decent corners, a keeper that could save shots, defenders who could defend at that level, strikers that could score, speed of thought, a midfield that sat and played safe etc etc .................... apart from that we were only three games off winning the whole thing we were really close NOT! :oops::shamefullyembarrased:

embarrassing really................. but good luck to Iceland they thoroughly deserved their win, the better team won

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...and-being-knocked-out-of-euro-2016-by-iceland

Thing is, OSB, we dominated all three group games despite not having a clear plan, the right formations, good crossing, a keeper playing well etc.

Not saying we ever could have won the thing, but how much better could we have done if we did have the clear plan and right tactics and formations in place?

Otis

The last paragraph sums it up Otis Roy didn't know who his best team was
That's his job !!
Time to move on everyone is cheesed off England will qualify for the next World Cup and we will all fall for it again

England are not a good team did you know on competitive tournament football Since 1966 England have only won 9 games
We have tried English managers foreign managers and we still have flattered to decive
Something is institutionally wrong with the English game

Well one thing has been immediately identified in this thread right here today. Hart talking about the next game against the French in the tunnel and Kane not even knowing if we had to win. There's a touch of arrogance about us that makes us think we have a goddamn right to be in these tournaments and that we should beat all these minnows, without paying respect.

We all knew it would be a tough game last night, but that if we had the right spirit and application about us we should win. The England players were seemingly focusing on the French in the next game.

Says it all really.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

The last paragraph sums it up Otis Roy didn't know who his best team was
That's his job !!
Time to move on everyone is cheesed off England will qualify for the next World Cup and we will all fall for it again

England are not a good team did you know on competitive tournament football Since 1966 England have only won 9 games
We have tried English managers foreign managers and we still have flattered to decive
Something is institutionally wrong with the English game
I think you mean only won 6 knockout matches since 1966?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Thing is, OSB, we dominated all three group games despite not having a clear plan, the right formations, good crossing, a keeper playing well etc.

Not saying we ever could have won the thing, but how much better could we have done if we did have the clear plan and right tactics and formations in place?

But we didn't really threaten Otis, we were not incisive and we lacked tempo generally. Yes there were bright moments, yes we had shots, but we still failed to win what was a relatively easy group.

There is no doubt we have talented players but something was not right from the get go and last night it came a head.

Look at the performances of Germany or Belgium, or the second half of France's last game. They went up through the gears we never really did, in fact we only seemed to have one gear, we played deliberate football, whereas our natural game I would argue is much quicker than that.

It was pretty much a mess, with players out of form or being there having no recent form and a manager who simply didn't appear to know how to make it work (or was it the players didn't listen?). We didn't play to our strengths.

One of the many things that really did irk me was Kane taking so many of the set pieces - why. He is the focal point of the attack not the deliverer, he is one of the best headers in the squad and can believe it or not shoot - he should have been on the end of the crosses not sending them in.

Wasn't impossible to have won it but we got no momentum - it was almost as if "ok we qualified really that's it we can take our foot off the gas", whereas it should have been a stepping stone to push on from with a consistent formation and team. Hodgson lost his way for some reason

Otis

But we didn't really threaten Otis, we were not incisive and we lacked tempo generally. Yes there were bright moments, yes we had shots, but we still failed to win what was a relatively easy group.

There is no doubt we have talented players but something was not right from the get go and last night it came a head.

Look at the performances of Germany or Belgium, or the second half of France's last game. They went up through the gears we never really did, in fact we only seemed to have one gear, we played deliberate football, whereas our natural game I would argue is much quicker than that.

It was pretty much a mess, with players out of form or being there having no recent form and a manager who simply didn't appear to know how to make it work (or was it the players didn't listen?). We didn't play to our strengths.

One of the many things that really did irk me was Kane taking so many of the set pieces - why. He is the focal point of the attack not the deliverer, he is one of the best headers in the squad and can believe it or not shoot - he should have been on the end of the crosses not sending them in.

Wasn't impossible to have won it but we got no momentum - it was almost as if "ok we qualified really that's it we can take our foot off the gas", whereas it should have been a stepping stone to push on from with a consistent formation and team. Hodgson lost his way for some reason

No, we didn't really threaten, but with the right system and right tactics and formations (as you alluded to with Kane) we could have been more threatening. As you say, Kane taking corners? Hodgson either picking players out of form (Sterling), or players that weren't fit (Wilshere).

covmark

Why have the Wales squad had to make excuses for celebrating the result? Wouldn't expect any other reaction.
Shows a lack of class imo. Having said that I'll be celebrating if Belgium smash them. Mainly because Coleman is a prick who got lucky by having a superstar to make him look good.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Grendel

No, we didn't really threaten, but with the right system and right tactics and formations (as you alluded to with Kane) we could have been more threatening. As you say, Kane taking corners? Hodgson either picking players out of form (Sterling), or players that weren't fit (Wilshere).

We were against some terrible teams and still couldn't win - our players are sub standard on this stage.

covmark

We were against some terrible teams and still couldn't win - our players are sub standard on this stage.
Agree with the first part. The vast majority of teams in this competition are crap tbh.
We don't have sub standard players though I don't think. The manager just picked ones that are out of form or have been injured for ages, due to some misplaced loyalty.
No doubt we'll breeze the world cup qualifying, ready to bomb at another major tournament.

Terry Gibson's perm

Did anyone listen to Hodgson's interview tonight, didn't even know why he was there as he felt the statement he gave last night was enough and his boss saying he is no football expert and then saying he is on the three man panel to choose the next idiot, can't see why they are bothering it will be the ever useless Southgate ( the only good thing I can see in that appointment would be when we sack him he is out of the way)

Grendel

Agree with the first part. The vast majority of teams in this competition are crap tbh.
We don't have sub standard players though I don't think. The manager just picked ones that are out of form or have been injured for ages, due to some misplaced loyalty.
No doubt we'll breeze the world cup qualifying, ready to bomb at another major tournament.

Don't we have the youngest squad here? Our squad in the 90's had players who on a world stage other countries would want.

I genuinely think Germany, Spain, Italy and France wouldn't want any of our players at all. They would have years ago but not now.

Most are not experienced and there aren't many eras when we would believe smalling and Cahill were the 2 best venter backs we have and Vardy and Kane are he cream of the crop regarding strikers. Would any of these players get contracts with top clubs in Spain or Germany?

At international level these players are pretty poor.

covmark

Don't we have the youngest squad here? Our squad in the 90's had players who on a world stage other countries would want.

I genuinely think Germany, Spain, Italy and France wouldn't want any of our players at all. They would have years ago but not now.

Most are not experienced and there aren't many eras when we would believe smalling and Cahill were the 2 best venter backs we have and Vardy and Kane are he cream of the crop regarding strikers. Would any of these players get contracts with top clubs in Spain or Germany?

At international level these players are pretty poor.
Agree with Cahill and Smalling, they're both shite, hopefully Stones will start living up to the hype.

Otis

Yep, don't buy this 'sub standard.' Lacking fortitude and spirit and bottle perhaps, but Iceland are in the quarter finals. Wales are in the quarter finals.

It isn't just about players, it is about playing as a team and to a system that works.

England players were played out of position, formations kept changing, players were picked who were out of form and players were picked who weren't match fit.

Had we had the right formation and picked the right team we surely would have won and then we would have been in the quarter finals and that was what was expected from England, the quarter finals.

England bottle it every time. How many times have we said we gave it our best shot but just come up short? And then flip the coin and ask, how many times have we underperformed in games we should have won? And we truly did underperform last night. No doubt about it.

I think instead of people saying we just aren't good enough, we also have to work out why we keep putting in dismal efforts in major competitons and as the history books tell us, more often than not it is against teams who are not as good as us and don't have better players than us.

Covstu

The three teams we played we should have won all three but we had no structure or organisation, we lacked width and an overall gameplan. Germany took Slovakia apart with ease, they were structured and efficient we were not close.

We have the players which is frustrating but last night was like 11 guys having a kick around at a wedding with a pint in their hands, strangers, didn't know who each other were and could hardly string a pass together. The team has always been there but the tactics and attitude were wrong from the get go

chiefdave

The three teams we played we should have won all three
That's the biggest frustration. We should have been capable of winning the group and then would have had a relatively easy route to the final. It will be a long time before we have such a good chance again.

Don't think the players are, at least not all of them, that bad but they just don't perform on the international stage.

CJ_covblaze

Glenn: "A message to all the fans in England, after the performance in the tournament: sorry. We've come up short."

Thanks Martin. No need to apologise to those of us in France.

SkyblueBazza

Why have the Wales squad had to make excuses for celebrating the result? Wouldn't expect any other reaction.
Oooo-errrr. We wouldn't want to be causing offence or stirring up emotions would we. Sod-it...let them have their moment. They should rub the English player's noses in it now rather than during the club matches to come.

Go for the throat Wales, that's what I say. I have taken it all on the chin from my close colleague. I throw 'whitewash' back at him for the Rugby (gasp!!! Did I really mention Rugby)

...onwards & upwards PUSB

SkyblueBazza

Shows a lack of class imo. Having said that I'll be celebrating if Belgium smash them. Mainly because Coleman is a prick who got lucky by having a superstar to make him look good.

Lol...that's coz you have no class!

covmark

Oh, and to add, I'm not a fellow professional footballer.
Could you imagine seeing a video of Portugal players celebrating Spain's exit.

SkyblueBazza

Oh, and to add, I'm not a fellow professional footballer.
Could you imagine seeing a video of Portugal players celebrating Spain's exit.

I agree that they should have been aware of the elephant in the room...& perhaps been somewhat more diplomatic and reserved in acknowledgment of that presence & potential consequences...but I also reckon our fabulously paid divas have it coming to them if they are unable to deliver.
In my line of work - if I fail to deliver the expectations set (probably like 90% of us) - I am going to be shown the door. These guys (footballers in general) just seem to wait for the next manager, pick up the same (or mostly more!) rewards & yet deliver the same old shit!

Gazolba

I told you we would get nowhere with rooney, every time he touched the ball, he gave it away. Complete overhaul of english football is needed, but it will never happen.

Otis

I told you we would get nowhere with rooney, every time he touched the ball, he gave it away. Complete overhaul of english football is needed, but it will never happen.
Every time he touched the ball against ICELAND he gave it away, but if you look at his stats for other games then you can only scratch your head as to why he was so poor.

Some of his passing stats against Russia:

Total pass accuracy - 88%

Short pass accuracy - 100%

Long pass accuracy - 100%

One touch pass accuracy - 100%

Free kick short pass accuracy - 100%

Otis

Now I haven't got his stats for the Iceland game, but I bet you can chop those scores in half, so the bloke who can pass really well suddenly can't pass at all.

That tells me the mentality was all wrong on Monday and that we had a touch of arrogance about us and were not at all mentally focused.

On Monday, a bloke who has fantastic passing stats couldn't even pass the ball 5 yards or trap or control a ball.

Last edited:

Covstu

bang on Otis, it seems we are looking for a scapegoat and its Rooney's turn. He played well in at least two of the three group games, he was shocking in the Iceland game but who wasn't. What I do agree with is that he needs to retire from international football or at least step down as captain so Hodgson's predecessor has a free run at picking the team without any political BS in play. The biggest question is who would you replace him as captain, no one jumps to mind to be a dead cert which is worrying! Dier, Wiltshire maybe??

Otis

bang on Otis, it seems we are looking for a scapegoat and its Rooney's turn. He played well in at least two of the three group games, he was shocking in the Iceland game but who wasn't. What I do agree with is that he needs to retire from international football or at least step down as captain so Hodgson's predecessor has a free run at picking the team without any political BS in play. The biggest question is who would you replace him as captain, no one jumps to mind to be a dead cert which is worrying! Dier, Wiltshire maybe??
Don't you mean Dire Wilshire?

I would say Dier myself. Certainly not Joe Hart.

Was hoping John Stones would really have shone by now and been a candidate. Maybe the Bobby Moore comparisons were a bit OTT.

Can only think of Dier or Smalling as it stands.

CJ_covblaze

I thought 2 for Rooney was rather generous. Worst ever performance I ever have seen from him, CJ. One thing you can always be confident of with Rooney is that he can pass the ball. Last night he couldn't even do that. Would love to see the pass accuracy for the whole team. It had to have been very low.

He always works his socks off and tries hard, but last night he was truly shocking in my opinion.

Like I said though he wanted to come off. He could hardly move.

CJ_covblaze

He should have come off much, much earlier.

Think it has to be that no individual name is bigger than the team.

Yeah has to be that way. Interesting news about Eric Dier and it explains a lot. Saw him discussing something with the medical team before the game a presumed it was a knock or a twinge.

Users who are viewing this thread