Match Thread Doncaster Rovers vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 18th Jan (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Doncaster Rovers vs. Coventry City match, tactics and predictions :)

SlowerThanPlatt

Interesting game. They’ve hit form and found something closer to their true position after being 3 or 4 games behind everyone else and of course it took a 89th minute equaliser to get anything against them at home.

In their last 5 they’ve won 4 - the defeat coming against Sunderland. Wins against Peterborough, Oxford, Shrewsbury and Bristol Rovers. The first 3 we haven’t beat this season.

covcity4life

Happu with a draw here. They are in form and could break into playoffs this weekend

Marsthon not a sprint etc

That said if we win surely no one left on forum who believes this squad has zero chance of auto spots?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Would take a point all day long. As I would against Fleetwood in the next league game now that Wycombe has been postponed. It may see us drop down the table in the short-term but the kind of points that make a difference later in the season. Obviously, still hoping for a win.

Philosorapter

Interesting set of numbers this system has came up with for a win, draw or loss compared to some other teams City have played at the top end of the league.

Last edited:

Briles

I think we will win. Our away form is 6th in league for last ten league games, their home form is 15th for the same period. Donny do have the Joint best defence in the League based on goals conceded so I'm going for a 1-0 Coventry Win.

SkyBlueSoul

First away game of the season for me, looking forward to it. Only games I've made it to so far were Southend and Rochdale at home so yet to see anything but a win. Going to be a difficult one though, I'll go 1-1.

Can see Robins reverting to the "usual" 11 of the past month. Pask did well but can't see him playing twice in a week just yet and we don't need to change the back 3 or the Kelly/Walsh partnership anyway. O'Hare definitely challenging for a starting berth but seeing as Zain wasn't involved at all and Shippers only had 5 minutes I'd be surprised not to see them both back.

shmmeee

Not confident at all here. Gut says we may lose it but I’ll go for a 1-1 draw.

Really not sure who to play. Pask and Max staked a great claim but Dabo and Godden are two of our best performers. I think O’Hare and Allen deserve a go as well, probably a better case for resting Shipley and Westbrooke as young players. Mason and McCallum is a tough one but McCallums in scoring form and if we are selling him this window may as well try to bump his value up. So probably this:

Marosi
Rose McFadz Hyam
Dabo Walsh Kelly McCallum
Allen O’Hare
Godden

S: Wilson, Pask, Mason, Shipley, Westbrooke, Jones, Biamou

I trust Robins to know best from training and physio reports and would be happy with any mix of the teams from the last two games.

Briles

Not confident at all here. Gut says we may lose it but I’ll go for a 1-1 draw.

Really not sure who to play. Pask and Max staked a great claim but Dabo and Godden are two of our best performers. I think O’Hare and Allen deserve a go as well, probably a better case for resting Shipley and Westbrooke as young players. Mason and McCallum is a tough one but McCallums in scoring form and if we are selling him this window may as well try to bump his value up. So probably this:

Marosi
Rose McFadz Hyam
Dabo Walsh Kelly McCallum
Allen O’Hare
Godden

S: Wilson, Pask, Mason, Shipley, Westbrooke, Jones, Biamou

I trust Robins to know best from training and physio reports and would be happy with any mix of the teams from the last two games.

I agree with that line up. Only thing I worry about is our CB's getting tired.

shmmeee

I agree with that line up. Only thing I worry about is our CB's getting tired.

Only change I could see there was Pask in, but he’s coming back from injury and played midweek. Maybe bring him on if someone’s looking tired second half.

clint van damme

Think last night will give MR a few things to ponder which is good.
I would definitely start O'Hare in place of Westbrooke.

Briles

I thought Allen might be worth a start too, it's just who do you leave out.

I think he will drop Westbrooke now Allen is up to speed. Harsh but reality.

edgy

I'd start Max over Godden.

I feel more confident that Max would convert chances. He just 'seems' to have a better conversion rate, not sure whether that is factually correct.

cc84cov

I think he will drop Westbrooke now Allen is up to speed. Harsh but reality.
Could be right mate here,Never know he might leave Shipley & Westbrooke out for O’Hare & Allen you know how Robins I’d make the shirt yours etc

Briles

Could be right mate here,Never know he might leave Shipley & Westbrooke out for O’Hare & Allen you know how Robins I’d make the shirt yours etc

I wouldn't mind that tbh, keep it fresh

Evo1883

Play how we can and we can win... I'd happily take the point though.

Tough game tbh

Evo1883

I'd start Max over Godden.

I feel more confident that Max would convert chances. He just 'seems' to have a better conversion rate, not sure whether that is factually correct.

I wouldn't not after godden has scored 6 in his last 3 league games

SlowerThanPlatt

I can’t believe James Coppinger is still playing for them. Remember him playing against us in the Championship a good 10 years ago

39 now and still contributed 4 goals and 6 assists this season

edgy

Not quite.

Per 90 mins in L1 from Whoscored:

Godden 1.5 shots on target - 9 goals
Biamou 1.3 shots on target - 2 goals

mmmm, so firstly why just League 1?

This doesn't really give a conversion rate. This is how many shots they manage to get on target. What about the ones they miss?

We could look at conversion rate of shots on target. So (using Whoscored.com) Godden has 2.5 shots on target per game, over 22 games. Thats 55 shots on target. He's scored 10. So his conversion rate is 5.5. He scores a goal every 5.5 chances.

Biamou has 1.3 shots on target per game, over 14 games. Thats 18.2 shots on target. He's scored 5. So his conversion rate is 3.6. He scores a goal every 3.6 chances.

Add that to the fact that Max has started half of his games on the bench. He has played a third of the game time that Godden has.

I know it's all averages but that's my logic anyway.
:shamefullyembarrased:

SlowerThanPlatt

mmmm, so firstly why just League 1?

This doesn't really give a conversion rate. This is how many shots they manage to get on target. What about the ones they miss?

We could look at conversion rate of shots on target. So (using Whoscored.com) Godden has 2.5 shots on target per game, over 22 games. Thats 55 shots on target. He's scored 10. So his conversion rate is 5.5. He scores a goal every 5.5 chances.

Biamou has 1.3 shots on target per game, over 14 games. Thats 18.2 shots on target. He's scored 5. So his conversion rate is 3.6. He scores a goal every 3.6 chances.

Add that to the fact that Max has started half of his games on the bench. He has played a third of the game time that Godden has.

I know it's all averages but that's my logic anyway.
:shamefullyembarrased:

Your stats say that given the same amount of playing time as Godden Biamou would be our top goalscorer and arguably the top goal scorer in the league. I’ve not looked at Kastaneer’s but it would say similar for him I imagine

Over a 46 (now 44 game season) which striker do you think would score more - Biamou or Godden?

Paxman II

Donny's recent win run coincides with a slight dip in form of the sides they beat. (Peterboro', Oxford for example) and note the wins were marginal or very late goal. They were beaten by an inconsistent Sunderland at home. So not so sure they are as 'good' as some might think at this moment.
That said we look strong and the way the table is packing tightly at the top end a must not lose approach is needed here.
Portsmouth have been plugging away and they are getting better. They have 3 games coming up that should be 3 easy wins and we could find ourselves behind them in a couple of weeks if we fail to at least win and draw our next two.
But I think we concentrate on how good we are and I think we will have enough to win at Doncaster, a type of game you really must start to win at this stage of the season if promotion is your goal.
A defeat is not a disaster by any means, we are only just over half the season through.

Robins has the headache on team selection. I do beleive O'Hare and Allen are are stronger than Westbrooke and Shipley but have to say Shipley has proven positive in his slightly more forward role near Godden recently. For this reason I think he will put O'Hare on the bench, keep Allen in place of Westbrooke and Max on the bench. Dabo was rested and I expect will return. He might still go with Mason.

Win: 1-3

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Really tough game for us i think, i'd certainly take a draw, a win would be a huge statement of intent. I'd start with Godden and be tempted to bring in O'Hare or Allen. I do wonder if Pask will get some time at CB this season as my impression was that was his position, by all accounts he had a blinder at RWB last night though, good competition for Dabo.

edgy

Your stats say that given the same amount of playing time as Godden Biamou would be our top goalscorer and arguably the top goal scorer in the league. I’ve not looked at Kastaneer’s but it would say similar for him I imagine

Over a 46 (now 44 game season) which striker do you think would score more - Biamou or Godden?

I'm using the stats you provided off whoscored to provide some sort of conversion rate. Your stats were shots on target per game. That's not really anything to do with converting chances.

Max has taken part in more than ten games so we can say his stats can be considered.

The fact remains that Max has converted more of his shots on target.

I've no idea who'd score more over 46 games. I'd wager it would be very close.

SlowerThanPlatt

I'm using the stats you provided off whoscored to provide some sort of conversion rate. Your stats were shots on target per game. That's not really anything to do with converting chances.

Max has taken part in more than ten games so we can say his stats can be considered.

The fact remains that Max has converted more of his shots on target.

I've no idea who'd score more over 46 games. I'd wager it would be very close.

You would have lost your wager every single season both of them have played in England

Users who are viewing this thread