Sky_Blue_Dreamer
Highfield Road Hero
- Joined
- Aug 16, 2018
- Messages
- 21,976
- Reaction score
- 17,829
View attachment 55274
Probably the best of these I've seen to explain what's happened on social media in the last couple of years.
I would argue that my position hasn't changed for a number of years and as I've outlined on here some of my thoughts and ideas for dealing with the immigration and small boats problem would be considered very, very severe. Yet somehow I'm also now a rabid leftist who wants uncontrolled immigration and isn't listening to what the people want.I'm not so sure. You see I see myself as the man in the photo. I'm not denying there are rabid right wingers out there who are way across the other side, but my position hasn't waivered and that view is now considered way more right wing than it used to be. Even the smallest disagreement now is labelled racist when the truth couldn't be further away. It's used in part to try and shut down any discussion, but what people fail to see, is that it actually dilutes the real racism, which should be called out, because it's a tag not saved for where it's genuinely required and all gets lumped and ignored as one.
Add int he fact the Overton window has shifted a lot to the right in recent years, especially due to factors like immigration and it shows that it is just as true, and probably more true, that the right has shifted further in that direction. There are people now far more willing to voice xenophobic, and even racist, views openly than there used to be. Anyone who disagrees with them is now a traitor apparently. Now it may well be that internally their opinions haven't changed, but their willingness to express them most definitely has as they've been emboldened by the shift to the right.
The rise of Reform and it's popularity has pushed all of the major parties, and the Tories especially, to lurch to the right with regards to their immigration policy and that just causes those on the far right to go even further. You've got Trump in America who's got thugs picking people off the streets by skin colour and blaming all of America's problems on immigrants, especially the brown and black ones.
We've now got people slashing dinghies and saying people should be left to drown in the sea - is that the left moving further left or the right moving further right?