Coventry transfer deadline day (3 Viewers)

Joy Division

Good luck to Stevenson, I don't begrudge him this move as clearly he wasn't progressing here any more and probably needed a move. I think he has a lot of potential though so hopefully Wolves can find something else from him.

fernandopartridge

Will be interesting in three years or so to see if any of Stevenson, Harries or Thomas have played for their respective clubs first teams.

Stevenson blathered on about it being a move to a massive club, think opinions may differ on that, and was moving to a great standard of development football. So good that they fucked him straight off to Colchester. Wonder how they will feel when Dad rings in sick for him.
U23 football at any level is not as good as first team football, it's virtually non contact training matches. Won't do him or the others much good.

Nick

Administrator
U23 football at any level is not as good as first team football, it's virtually non contact training matches. Won't do him or the others much good.

Barrett was hammering the U23 league, loads of goals and assists in the same League Stevenson will be going into.

tisza

I seem to remember Clarke-Harris as a big scorer in youth team who was expected to do well but was released because of "issues". Then got himself in bother at one of the Northern clubs he went to. Hopefully he's settled down.

Robbins must rate him as to pay 125k loan fee & take on Championship wages (albeit Rotherham level) is pretty big money in L2.

skybluebeduff

I seem to remember Clarke-Harris as a big scorer in youth team who was expected to do well but was released because of "issues". Then got himself in bother at one of the Northern clubs he went to. Hopefully he's settled down.

Robbins must rate him as to pay 125k loan fee & take on Championship wages (albeit Rotherham level) is pretty big money in L2.
Where has the figure of that loan fee come from?

SkyBlueCRJ

Although we've just gotten one window out the way and this might be slightly presumptuous...I wonder will Robins have his work cut out for him this summer given the amount of players we could potentially lose?

DeKE (free agent)
DiKE (free agent)
Beavon (likely to be sold/moved on)
Thomas (already gone)
Reid (free agent)
Bayliss (potentially sold)
Doyle (free agent)
McNulty (potentially sold)
Willis (potentially sold)
Clarke-Harris (loan expires but potential to buy)
Barrett (loan expiry)
JMD (loan expiry)
Kyle Finn (free agent)
Reece Ford (Free Agent)
Jak Hickman (Free Agent)
Jordan Thompson (Free Agent)
Bilal Sayoud (Free Agent)

It's obviously worst case scenario but there's a fair amount of players on that list at risk to go. Definitely shows we need to start getting contracts sorted sooner rather than later. What are people's thoughts? (also correct me if I've got any wrong or missed out any)

Nick

Administrator
Although we've just gotten one window out the way and this might be slightly presumptuous...I wonder will Robins have his work cut out for him this summer given the amount of players we could potentially lose?

DeKE (free agent)
DiKE (free agent)
Thomas (already gone)
Reid (free agent)
Doyle (free agent)
Barrett (loan expiry)
JMD (loan expiry)
Kyle Finn (free agent)
Reece Ford (Free Agent)
Jak Hickman (Free Agent)

It's obviously worst case scenario but there's a fair amount of players on that list at risk to go. Definitely shows we need to start getting contracts sorted sooner rather than later. What are people's thoughts? (also correct me if I've got any wrong or missed out any)

Don't the club have an option on DKE for another year?

I think this summer we will have the best core of players still we have had in a long while, not forgetting Jones and Andreu to return from injury. I like how you added in potentially sold just to get some actual first teamers in there ;) (bar Doyle).

steve82

DeKE (free agent)
DiKE (free agent)
Thomas (already gone)
Reid (free agent)
Doyle (free agent)
Barrett (loan expiry)
JMD (loan expiry)
Kyle Finn (free agent)
Reece Ford (Free Agent)
Jak Hickman (Free Agent)

No dramas there will be a fresh pool of players out of contract up and down the country. After all it's his he built this side.

Most are under contract for another year so will require a fee if catching the eye of suitors.

Sensible business was done last summer I'd expect another summer of smart recruitment of contracted players.

skybluesam66

DeKE (free agent)
DiKE (free agent)
Thomas (already gone)
Reid (free agent)
Doyle (free agent)
Barrett (loan expiry)
JMD (loan expiry)
Kyle Finn (free agent)
Reece Ford (Free Agent)
Jak Hickman (Free Agent)

Promotion is key. We have the core of a good league one team. If we don’t go up our better players will move on

SkyBlueCRJ

Don't the club have an option on DKE for another year?

I think this summer we will have the best core of players still we have had in a long while, not forgetting Jones and Andreu to return from injury. I like how you added in potentially sold just to get some actual first teamers in there ;) (bar Doyle).

Yeah he does, I missed that.
Haha just trying to make people shudder ;)

Yeah Robins and TW did a great job of ensuring the bulk of our permanent incoming transfers were 2 year deals which certainly takes the weight off. Suppose it gives them both an option of building upon their work this season even if the out of contact list is slightly high.

SkyBlueCRJ

No dramas there will be a fresh pool of players out of contract up and down the country. After all it's his he built this side.

Most are under contract for another year so will require a fee if catching the eye of suitors.

Sensible business was done last summer I'd expect another summer of smart recruitment of contracted players.

Exactly, I'm confident Robins and TW can repeat their success in the transfer market next season.

Nick

Administrator
The wage is paid via the "loan arrangement". This is how they get round FFP
So, RUFC continue to pay his salary until June 30th and then permanent two year contract with CCFC and wage paid by CCFC
He was on £10,800 per month at RUFC.

Ah so effectively the loan fee is just paying his wage off and it clears up their FFP to pay others?

Has the 2 year deal already been agreed?

David O'Day

Stevenson i think will make it as a top championship in 3/4 years time.

League 2 football doesnt suit his game at all definately when we play on awfull pitch. He has the ball striking abilty to score wonder goals....he doesnt score tap ins.

Very very good technical player. Wolves imo have done their homework. Will watch his career with interest (sell on clause) good luck.
wtf

he's never going to be a wolves first team player. have you seen who plays in midfield for them?

do you post of the telegraph page?

Kingokings204

The wage is paid via the "loan arrangement". This is how they get round FFP
So, RUFC continue to pay his salary until June 30th and then permanent two year contract with CCFC and wage paid by CCFC
He was on £10,800 per month at RUFC.

Not a bad wage for a player with one goal is it. I happen to think it’s a decent signing for us in league 2. Heart for the club and more his level. We
Must be paying only a fraction of it. 23 is a good age also.

Good business for me. Get rid of Stevenson who doesn’t play for 500k and then get JcH in for a fraction of it and a player and position we need more.

steve82

Exactly, I'm confident Robins and TW can repeat their success in the transfer market next season.

Exactly and the only issue is planing for what league.

We're in safe hands with a management team who understand the level and constraints it brings so plan accordingly to maximise the market

Nick

Administrator
Not a bad wage for a player with one goal is it. I happen to think it’s a decent signing for us in league 2. Heart for the club and more his level. We
Must be paying only a fraction of it. 23 is a good age also.

Good business for me. Get rid of Stevenson who doesn’t play for 500k and then get JcH in for a fraction of it and a player and position we need more.

Looks like we have paid more than his wage, unless thats to cover tax / NI etc.

Warwickhunt

Some people saying Ben went for £500k? Good business if it turns out to be true.
I think 500k is a steal in these times! I hope we have a lot of add ons and sell on % wrapped up as I believe he can be as good as Maddison. However playing for Colchester for the rest of the season will hopefully see him come on in leaps and bounds. However when he has been given his chance here he has not grasped it with both hands and disappeared when it starts ed to get a bit tasty in the midfield

Mucca Mad Boys

That’s bollocks, Conor Washington went from Peterborough to QPR that summer for 5 million and he’s well below Wilson’s level. Tottenham got Ali for a bargain £5mill because they paid cash upfront and not in installments. We should have got at least £5m for Wilson.

You’re talking in retrospect because since Wilson has left us and he’s done very well. But here’s some things to consider:
- the club had just out of administration the summer before
- Wilson was 22, so a much older prospect than Alli - and Alli is one of the best players in the prem right now
- on top of that, he had one blazing season, but before that his scoring record, frankly, was terrible. Can anyone really say they thought Wilson would’ve done as well as he done in the Championship, and then the Prem?! No.
- QPR spending 5m on Washington, is frankly, bad business and doesn’t mean us selling Wilson for 3m was a bad deal - also, we got sell-on % so when he leave Bournemouth we’ll get a nice wedge. So will probably end up getting more than £5m for him.

I think the consensus of most sensible Cov fans was that £3m, at the time, was a good fee.

David O'Day

I think 500k is a steal in these times! I hope we have a lot of add ons and sell on % wrapped up as I believe he can be as good as Maddison. However playing for Colchester for the rest of the season will hopefully see him come on in leaps and bounds. However when he has been given his chance here he has not grasped it with both hands and disappeared when it starts ed to get a bit tasty in the midfield
500k for the 4th choice midfielder from a 4th division team.

yeah we did steal it from wolves if true

Users who are viewing this thread